Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

THANK YOU TO the kind man in the Augusta Mall outside Starbucks. You were so nice and saved me a great deal of time and anguish in locating my mother's purse. Just when I think there is only evil and cruelty in this world, someone like you restores my faith.

A BIG RANT TO THOSE WHO park in the no-parking zones in front of supermarkets and sit in the vehicle while another of their party shops. To make it worse, you fuss back when someone criticizes you.

THANK YOU FOR AT LEAST being sorry my white cat was run over and killed on our small cut-through dirt road in Appling. The speed limit is 15 mph, posted by the county because of children. Our road has been closed to through traffic because of speeders using it as a quick cut-through, which has caused several wrecks. No one was injured, but it was just a matter of time. Shame it did not happen before my cat got in someone's way. It could have been a child.

A RAVE FOR MS. JENNIE at the customer service counter in the Augusta Mall. She was extremely helpful and attentive in helping me with my mother, as we required a wheelchair. My mother will remember you for a long time to come.

A RANT TO WHOEVER has a say about the Law Enforcement Center. I have been visiting this jail for sometime now and was really surprised to hear why some things in my brother's cell were not being fixed. The deputies told me that there were only three or four maintenance workers at the jail and they had several other buildings to tend to besides the jail. I think this is really bad business for the county.

THIS IS A RANT for irresponsible neighbors -- if your tree falls, breaks a fence and lands half in your yard, half in someone else's ... clean it up! Don't just saw the fallen tree in half, fix the fence and leave the other half for your neighbor to deal with.

YES, VIRGINIA, there was a James Brown. Can we please move on?

A CAR LICENSE PLATE tag number to drive around town with New Year's Eve: DWIIM2.

RANT TO THE CHRONICLE: Why don't you create a separate section for James Brown and reserve the front pages of the paper for more current news?

A RANT TO THE CHRONICLE for shoving James Brown down our throats. A lot of other people have lost their parents this time of year, too. So what makes him so special? He's never done anything for me or put food on my table.

AGAIN I OPEN the paper Christmas Eve and James Brown's picture is looking at me. I enjoy his music, but, good God, two days of nothing but James Brown is getting old. The man has been dead over a year.

RAVE TO DOUBLETREE HOTEL, formerly The Sheraton: I have had a bridge table for 15 years. I came back after an extended illness, and someone changed the rules where I can no longer be a player at the table. But I will get another table of players. I wish to thank Sandy and Debbie, who are servers, and I will see them soon.

I'D LIKE TO THANK the members of the Augusta Fire Department for their fruit baskets they give every year to the widowed women. Thank you.

HILLARY'S HEALTH CARE or universal health care is socialism and communism, any way you spell it.

If you have an opinion you want to share, call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

Eric
Eric 01/02/08 - 11:10 pm
Hillguy, you need to look

Hillguy, you need to look into James Brown's record. He was a wife beater, a fellon, a druggy.

longtrainrunning
longtrainrunning 01/02/08 - 11:13 pm
rolltide, right on and

rolltide, right on and congrats on the bowl win!!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 01/02/08 - 11:14 pm
That was a nice thing Jake.

That was a nice thing Jake. If only everyone would think like that this world would be a better place. You dont have to like everyone or everything, but showing respect to all despite your differences and kindness in a time of need would go a loooong way.

disgustedincolumbiacty
disgustedincolumbiacty 01/02/08 - 11:14 pm
I hate cats they get all over

I hate cats they get all over your car leave footprints on it scratch it the only good cat is a dead one, my dog likes them he said they taste like chicken, and you fools complaining about the conditions at the jail don't check in and you won't have that problem, if you don't like that idea lets go back to public hangings immediately after the trial ,look at all the tax money the city would save and the crime rate would surely go down after a few of these,

Eric
Eric 01/02/08 - 11:14 pm
Thanks.

Thanks.

Eric
Eric 01/02/08 - 11:17 pm
Other than Arkansas, as far

Other than Arkansas, as far as I know, the rest of the SEC did well. GA did a good job!

disgustedincolumbiacty
disgustedincolumbiacty 01/02/08 - 11:18 pm
I hate cats they get all over

KSL
KSL 01/02/08 - 11:43 pm
scoobasteve, I have not had a

scoobasteve, I have not had a relationship with a snake, but I certainly would not question Rose, as she does. She has an actual ongoing everyday relationship with this snake. She is an exceptional person. Rambo may be an exceptional snake, hence their exceptional relationship. Live and let live! By the way, Rose has had him for a long time and she has mentioned him on a number of occasions here. So far all accounts of him have described him as a well behaved animal. She has definitely been a constantly surpervising "parent." I started to make another statement then stopped.

KSL
KSL 01/02/08 - 11:49 pm
Jake, speak to nwr.

Jake, speak to nwr.

KSL
KSL 01/02/08 - 11:50 pm
nwr, did you get the phone

nwr, did you get the phone message I left you? If not call me.

KSL
KSL 01/02/08 - 11:55 pm
nwr, I promise you will like

nwr, I promise you will like Jake when you meet him. I did, Rose did, pete did and numerous others did. I didn't meet the daughter who will want to ride, but I did meet his wonderful son who is now serving in Iraq.

The Madame
The Madame 01/02/08 - 11:57 pm
I'm calling

I'm calling

KSL
KSL 01/03/08 - 12:26 am
Jake, you are first class, as

Jake, you are first class, as always. Keep us up to date on your son.

createyourfuture
createyourfuture 01/03/08 - 12:46 am
A less lethal way of dealing

A less lethal way of dealing with a dog: a kids' squirt gun containing ammonia. Dogs hate it.

sneaky pete
sneaky pete 01/03/08 - 12:57 am
has there been a jake

has there been a jake sighting?

sneaky pete
sneaky pete 01/03/08 - 01:09 am
baroness---charlie thinks the

baroness---charlie thinks the world is flat.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 01/03/08 - 03:30 am
I think we already got sued

I think we already got sued for the conditions of the jail. The judge told us to fix it. Look at SPLOST 4 and 5. We passed 4 and need 5 for the rest of the money. Augusta has a web site with links to SPLOST.

3 top picks to replace Russell named

Janice Allen Jackson, Stephen Layson and Oscar Rodriguez are Augusta Mayor Deke Copenhaver's top picks to replace Fred Russell as city administrator.