Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

THANK YOU TO the kind man in the Augusta Mall outside Starbucks. You were so nice and saved me a great deal of time and anguish in locating my mother's purse. Just when I think there is only evil and cruelty in this world, someone like you restores my faith.

A BIG RANT TO THOSE WHO park in the no-parking zones in front of supermarkets and sit in the vehicle while another of their party shops. To make it worse, you fuss back when someone criticizes you.

THANK YOU FOR AT LEAST being sorry my white cat was run over and killed on our small cut-through dirt road in Appling. The speed limit is 15 mph, posted by the county because of children. Our road has been closed to through traffic because of speeders using it as a quick cut-through, which has caused several wrecks. No one was injured, but it was just a matter of time. Shame it did not happen before my cat got in someone's way. It could have been a child.

A RAVE FOR MS. JENNIE at the customer service counter in the Augusta Mall. She was extremely helpful and attentive in helping me with my mother, as we required a wheelchair. My mother will remember you for a long time to come.

A RANT TO WHOEVER has a say about the Law Enforcement Center. I have been visiting this jail for sometime now and was really surprised to hear why some things in my brother's cell were not being fixed. The deputies told me that there were only three or four maintenance workers at the jail and they had several other buildings to tend to besides the jail. I think this is really bad business for the county.

THIS IS A RANT for irresponsible neighbors -- if your tree falls, breaks a fence and lands half in your yard, half in someone else's ... clean it up! Don't just saw the fallen tree in half, fix the fence and leave the other half for your neighbor to deal with.

YES, VIRGINIA, there was a James Brown. Can we please move on?

A CAR LICENSE PLATE tag number to drive around town with New Year's Eve: DWIIM2.

RANT TO THE CHRONICLE: Why don't you create a separate section for James Brown and reserve the front pages of the paper for more current news?

A RANT TO THE CHRONICLE for shoving James Brown down our throats. A lot of other people have lost their parents this time of year, too. So what makes him so special? He's never done anything for me or put food on my table.

AGAIN I OPEN the paper Christmas Eve and James Brown's picture is looking at me. I enjoy his music, but, good God, two days of nothing but James Brown is getting old. The man has been dead over a year.

RAVE TO DOUBLETREE HOTEL, formerly The Sheraton: I have had a bridge table for 15 years. I came back after an extended illness, and someone changed the rules where I can no longer be a player at the table. But I will get another table of players. I wish to thank Sandy and Debbie, who are servers, and I will see them soon.

I'D LIKE TO THANK the members of the Augusta Fire Department for their fruit baskets they give every year to the widowed women. Thank you.

HILLARY'S HEALTH CARE or universal health care is socialism and communism, any way you spell it.

If you have an opinion you want to share, call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 01/02/08 - 07:08 pm
Rose she's young and can't

Rose she's young and can't control it, I think u 2 had a misunderstanding that she went off on a name calling tangent. This is what happens when you are young, some grow out of it some dont. I like hallie very much, but she loses control at the slightest inkling that someone may tell her shes wrong. 20 and had to shoot multiple dogs to save yourself or others, where in the world are you living near the pound? sounds like you need to move. I have never had to kill a stray dog for attacking in all my years thank goodnes, but its hard to accept a 20yr old has been put in a save your family situation calling for the death of an animal many times in your teens. playa your point could have been made without embelishing, if you are, and most certainly you could have corrected rose without the hate spewing from your fingertips over no good reason it shadows everything else you type. And you can call me stupid, I dont care, but this is how I see it!! And she just cant let the nastiness die and turn the other cheek.. so hateful to be so young, and in the wrong on top of it!!

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 01/02/08 - 07:10 pm
I hate having pets. I've had

I hate having pets. I've had pets, i've had cats, i've had dogs, I even had a dog that I loved dearly. All that being said, I feel that having a pet anymore is a waste of time. I have grown to believe that a human following a dog around with a plastic bag to pick up its poo is not for me. I especially hate cats, and the idea of scooping its excrements into a bag is idiocy at best. I refuse to do it. I can deal with outside pets for the kid's sake.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 01/02/08 - 07:13 pm
Donnymack, relax. If Hilliary

Donnymack, relax. If Hilliary gets in before long you won't have to read comments you don't like....Heck you won't be able to or even write yours...Maybe that'll make you feel better! They take it one little bitty piece at a time!!! Maybe you're part of it.

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 01/02/08 - 07:14 pm
Rose, would you still love

Rose, would you still love your snake if your kitty was missing, and you discovered a large lump in the snake's belly?

The Madame
The Madame 01/02/08 - 07:19 pm
Steve, what about horses?

Steve, what about horses? What do you think of those?

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 01/02/08 - 07:21 pm
BTW, a pet snake? does said

BTW, a pet snake? does said snake do tricks? does it show affection? does it love you? Do you think that the snake is happy living it's life in a glass prison? It's for you to show to your friends, isn't it. Poor snake, just wants to slither freely. Snakes can't be domesticated. Snakes are just snakes, unlije kitties and puppies. I bet that you kiss it don't you! What a joke.

KSL
KSL 01/02/08 - 07:25 pm
Please scoobasteve, you have

Please scoobasteve, you have become way to cynical and callus before your time. Can't wait to get a horse again. Rose's snake is not large enough to consume her kitty nor does Rose allow the snake the option. I do admire the snake from afar.

Rose
Rose 01/02/08 - 07:26 pm
scoobasteve, my pet

scoobasteve, my pet ball-python will not eat the cat. She is too big for Rambo to eat.He is about 44 inches long, and won't grow any longer.

donnymack
donnymack 01/02/08 - 07:26 pm
Dear Miss Playaface, The

Dear Miss Playaface, The quote for me would be ignorant not dumb,as I am able to talk. Where do you get off thinking that everyone was behind Bush to invade Iraq,that is not true. The people that I was referring to are our great politicians. The democratic party is always labeled for being deviants and whatever the church seems fit to call it. We are living in a communist sort of system today,which you will disagree with. I believe that the money of the republican perty and the promises that they make to certain of the religous denominations determans most of the brain washing ideas that come from certain pulpits. Having served two tours of combat in Vietnam,May 1967-June 1968 and Apr 1970- Apr 1971 you can take it to the bank that like myself there are plenty of people that never supported the war b ut we hold all of our military people in the highest of esteem. Just remember one more thing think about the Dixie Chicks they were not anti government just anti Bush. Who ruined their careers dont even say that they did. Free speech what ever happened to it? I dont believe most voters know how to research past SHE SAID-HE SAID HAPPY NEW YEAR

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 01/02/08 - 07:27 pm
"this glue needs more horse!"

"this glue needs more horse!" SNL.

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 01/02/08 - 07:31 pm
horses serve a purpose, for

horses serve a purpose, for the most part. Having cows serves a purpose, $$$$$

The Madame
The Madame 01/02/08 - 07:32 pm
KSL- wasn't there someone

KSL- wasn't there someone here who raised Tennesee Walkers? Am I confused?

KSL
KSL 01/02/08 - 07:34 pm
I don't' want a snake for a

I don't' want a snake for a pet. But if Rose does, that is fine with me. If you love your pets and take care of them, then so be it. I hate cruelty to animals and to people. We have way too much of it. And we have goldfish in our little pond who show us respect when we come down to feed them. They recognize our voices before we even show up. Oh yes, the respect is for the handout. At least we understand that.

Rose
Rose 01/02/08 - 07:34 pm
scoobasteve, you are

scoobasteve, you are clueless. you are running off at the mouth about something you know nothing about. Rambo does show affection. Almost 6 yrs ago I helped nurse him back to health. He was injured, and it took a yr of vet visits, shots, tube feedings, and plenty of TLC for him to recover. During that time, we became friends. He knows us. I keep him out of his cage a lot. In the spring and summer he stays around my shoulders for 4- 8 hrs a day. Cold weather only 2 or 3 hrs. You wouldn't understand. It is above your head.

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 01/02/08 - 07:38 pm
I have a pet kodiak bear.

I have a pet kodiak bear. Chubby is his name. I like to put a pointy party hat on his head and pretend that he knows what i'm saying to him as I speak in baby talk to him. "Chubby wubby wike the honey?" etc... If my bear somehow realizes that he actually is a bear, and rips my army-warmy off, it will not be my fault, because I always "LOVED" him. Get a grip people!

KSL
KSL 01/02/08 - 07:39 pm
Yes, nwr, there was. He

Yes, nwr, there was. He doesn't now. But a Tennesee walker sounds good.

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 01/02/08 - 07:41 pm
You kiss that snake. Admit

You kiss that snake. Admit it.

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 01/02/08 - 07:46 pm
I used to breed rottwielers.

I used to breed rottwielers. What a mistake that was. no $, Rotties are notoriously bad mamas, and the poo is so big, you need a snow shovel for it.

Rose
Rose 01/02/08 - 07:49 pm
My son has a rottwieler. He

My son has a rottwieler. He is a huge baby. Spoiled rotten, and has his own couch.They consider him family.

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 01/02/08 - 07:50 pm
having a pet snake is like

having a pet snake is like having a pet fish. You can name it, show it love, keep it healthy, etc... but in the end, it is a untamed animal, that doesn't know what's going on.

Rose
Rose 01/02/08 - 07:53 pm
scoobasteve you are wrong.As

scoobasteve you are wrong.As many hrs and yrs I have taken care of Rambo,he knows me and trusts me. He is a beautiful pet and we love him.

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 01/02/08 - 07:55 pm
I don't usually kill snakes

I don't usually kill snakes when I see them, I will help a wounded animal, I will help a hitchhiker to a meal while I confess the love of Christ to him, but to love a snake!? or to love any animal that cannot be tamed? or to let your home smell like a cat box because they are "your friends!"

Rose
Rose 01/02/08 - 07:58 pm
Rambo is tame. He thinks

Rambo is tame. He thinks anyone who comes here came to see him.He loves attention.

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 01/02/08 - 08:11 pm
If you think that you have

If you think that you have trained a snake, you are a fool. If you have mistaken feeding time for love time, I can understand it. Rambo is not trained, but Rose has succombed to the idea that a snake loves her and cares for her. "Only the lonely, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumbie doo wah" I think that you have trained yourself. I'll give hugs to Chubby for you.

crazy cat lady
crazy cat lady 01/02/08 - 08:11 pm
Scoobasteve, glad you don't

Scoobasteve, glad you don't have any animals in your house, you don't deserve them. One can tell alot about a person by how he/she treats animals. So live your life animal free, as you say, you've been there, done that and it works for you. But don't knock those of us who do have animals and dote upon them, feathered, furred or slithery.

Word..spay and neuter. Keep your cats inside. Keep both cats and dogs on leashes when outside, and don't subject your neighbors to your animals if your neighbors don't want to be bothered with them. Same with kids.

Meowmy to five RagaMuffin tuxedo cats, Oona, Owen, Ozzzy, ObieTrice and Oops! SheDaisey, spoiled rotten, well fed and entirely doted upon INDOOR cats. Bet you hate that, Scoobasteve, five spoiled CATS!

Rose
Rose 01/02/08 - 08:30 pm
scoobasteve,we don't live

scoobasteve,we don't live next to a road, and my cat loves the outside. I let her out awhile everyday. She goes into the woods and comes back in an hr or so. I told my few neighbors that if she bothers them to please let me know.If she is not on our porch she is in the woods.The neighbors say she never bothers them. She is old and set in her ways.

longtrainrunning
longtrainrunning 01/02/08 - 09:45 pm
I don't mean to intrude on

I don't mean to intrude on personal conversations, but I have to agree with scooba!

longtrainrunning
longtrainrunning 01/02/08 - 09:49 pm
I have an ex named Rose, "our

I have an ex named Rose, "our " Rose sounds just like her--not really any disrespect intended, Rose with the snake, but he likes your neck because it is warm and his is a cold, heartless reptile!!

HillGuy
HillGuy 01/02/08 - 09:49 pm
It's really amazing that

It's really amazing that James Brown was not ashamed to call this backwards town home. He was always proud of where he came from. It's so sad that, even in death, the losers in this backwater can't even give the man his due. Most cities would be honored to have a legend like James Brown as a native son.

The Madame
The Madame 01/02/08 - 10:06 pm
Jake, I hear from my friend

Jake, I hear from my friend KathySue that there is a horseback meet and greet in our near future?

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...