Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

THANK YOU TO the kind man in the Augusta Mall outside Starbucks. You were so nice and saved me a great deal of time and anguish in locating my mother's purse. Just when I think there is only evil and cruelty in this world, someone like you restores my faith.

A BIG RANT TO THOSE WHO park in the no-parking zones in front of supermarkets and sit in the vehicle while another of their party shops. To make it worse, you fuss back when someone criticizes you.

THANK YOU FOR AT LEAST being sorry my white cat was run over and killed on our small cut-through dirt road in Appling. The speed limit is 15 mph, posted by the county because of children. Our road has been closed to through traffic because of speeders using it as a quick cut-through, which has caused several wrecks. No one was injured, but it was just a matter of time. Shame it did not happen before my cat got in someone's way. It could have been a child.

A RAVE FOR MS. JENNIE at the customer service counter in the Augusta Mall. She was extremely helpful and attentive in helping me with my mother, as we required a wheelchair. My mother will remember you for a long time to come.

A RANT TO WHOEVER has a say about the Law Enforcement Center. I have been visiting this jail for sometime now and was really surprised to hear why some things in my brother's cell were not being fixed. The deputies told me that there were only three or four maintenance workers at the jail and they had several other buildings to tend to besides the jail. I think this is really bad business for the county.

THIS IS A RANT for irresponsible neighbors -- if your tree falls, breaks a fence and lands half in your yard, half in someone else's ... clean it up! Don't just saw the fallen tree in half, fix the fence and leave the other half for your neighbor to deal with.

YES, VIRGINIA, there was a James Brown. Can we please move on?

A CAR LICENSE PLATE tag number to drive around town with New Year's Eve: DWIIM2.

RANT TO THE CHRONICLE: Why don't you create a separate section for James Brown and reserve the front pages of the paper for more current news?

A RANT TO THE CHRONICLE for shoving James Brown down our throats. A lot of other people have lost their parents this time of year, too. So what makes him so special? He's never done anything for me or put food on my table.

AGAIN I OPEN the paper Christmas Eve and James Brown's picture is looking at me. I enjoy his music, but, good God, two days of nothing but James Brown is getting old. The man has been dead over a year.

RAVE TO DOUBLETREE HOTEL, formerly The Sheraton: I have had a bridge table for 15 years. I came back after an extended illness, and someone changed the rules where I can no longer be a player at the table. But I will get another table of players. I wish to thank Sandy and Debbie, who are servers, and I will see them soon.

I'D LIKE TO THANK the members of the Augusta Fire Department for their fruit baskets they give every year to the widowed women. Thank you.

HILLARY'S HEALTH CARE or universal health care is socialism and communism, any way you spell it.

If you have an opinion you want to share, call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

change display name
change display name 01/02/08 - 10:56 am
If the "clients" at the jail

If the "clients" at the jail wouldn't shove stuff down the toilets and break things in their cells because they have nothing better to do, their conditions wouldn't be so bad. They are given cleaning supplies for their cells if they choose to use them. Should the SO jailers, aka maids, be expected to change their sheets also?

change display name
change display name 01/02/08 - 11:03 am
Pepper spray works on dogs

Pepper spray works on dogs and won't permanently hurt them. You might want to try it--it's easier than carrying a stick or a flashlight.

charlesmanson
charlesmanson 01/02/08 - 11:04 am
to those crying about the

to those crying about the jail conditions are you willing to pay more in taxes to improve the upkeep, of course not. a lot of the conditions there are the results of the trash who call the place home.they flood the toilets, some are nothing but medical misfits who bring diseases with them,etc. one of the purposes of jail is to remind you the next time you feel like breaking the law,remember where you'll be staying. it must not be too bad i don't see them closing any down anywhere.

happyending
happyending 01/02/08 - 11:09 am
Thanks for the advice I will

Thanks for the advice I will see if I can pick some of that up this weekend in my travels.

happyending
happyending 01/02/08 - 11:12 am
Who knew having a sense of

Who knew having a sense of humor in the world was such a crime. I have changed my screen name is everyone happy now. God it is no wonder things are the way they are with people freaking out about a screen name.

happyending
happyending 01/02/08 - 11:25 am
Man I am telling you baroness

Man I am telling you baroness people just are so frekin up tight these days it is no wonder the world is coming to an end.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 01/02/08 - 11:32 am
why do you think we have

why do you think we have people continuosly breaking the law and over crowding our jails? because the living conditions are like that of a hotel! they dont mind going to jail.. most of the time they are greeted by either people who are still there from the previous time they were booked or their low life friends... make the living conditions unbearable and maybe we wont have such a problem with repeat offenders. i still say an eye for an eye... if someone gets locked up for stealing... take all of their stuff... if they beat someone up... beat them up.... and so on

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 01/02/08 - 11:35 am
whoever got attacked by the

whoever got attacked by the dog.... get a gun... next time it attacks you shoot it... then the owner will notice

dani
dani 01/02/08 - 11:47 am
I think the guy in the

I think the guy in the stinking jail cell should have committed his crime in some other county where they have better facilities.
AS a matter of fact, wouldn't it be nice if all the criminals did this.

happyending
happyending 01/02/08 - 11:47 am
Thanks Playaface I dont think

Thanks Playaface I dont think shooting the dog is the answer maybe the owner but not the dog. The dog can only go by what it is taught. I feel sad for the dog because I had to hurt it to get away from my dog and me. The owner on the other had has probably beat it and not socialized it with other dogs it is probably locked in a cage all day and most of the night even if the owner is home. I have very mixed feelings about the whole situation.

Its 5oclock somewhere
Its 5oclock somewhere 01/02/08 - 12:05 pm
They don't put you in jail

They don't put you in jail for pooting in church.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 01/02/08 - 12:09 pm
Isnt it funny how people

Isnt it funny how people complain about the conditiion of the Jail on Walton Way, but no one says anything when the inmates sneak articles of food into their cells and flush them and cause the whole building to get backed up. Then complain about the conditions. If you dont like the conditions in jail, then quit committing crimes. Simple enough.

mojo
mojo 01/02/08 - 12:17 pm
playa - happy new year!

playa - happy new year! baroness - good point; however, implicit in my assumption is that the owner of the firearm knows how to use it effectively (i acknowledge this is a big assumption) - i'm old fashioned in that i believe the best solution for dangerous lose dogs is the simplest one - it's what animal control will do in the end. I also don't make it a habit to argue with with strangers who i know own a gun and have seen demonstrate thier ability to use said firearm. P.S. I have several neighbors who own dogs that sometimes get out (as mine has on more than one occasion) my next door neighbor makes no attempt to restrain their dog and his favorite toilet is my driveway - but i know none of these dogs are a danger - a strange dog attacking foks would be a very different story.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 01/02/08 - 12:17 pm
happy, the next time you see

happy, the next time you see it loose, call animal control and tell them you know who it belongs to and even if its inside when they get there, they will go tot he owner and warn them and make a record of it and if its ever caugh or reported repeatedly again, the fines will begin rolling and eventually they will take the dog if the owners are to stupid to learn. I'm not sure the procedure in RC but they do in CC. I feel your pain for having to hurt the dog when its the owners fault, but legally this is the best way to handle it so you dont end up in jail, though I know it would be satisfying to handle it your way!!! lol

happyending
happyending 01/02/08 - 12:26 pm
thanks take a stand. I have

thanks take a stand. I have involved all the right authorities and it is being taken care of in the peoper fashion. I am just very upset that people own dogs and shouldnt I guess it is the softy person in me. I feel the same towards people though if you cant take care of a child then you shouldnt have one. I am NOT in anyways saying kill it I am saying bring it into the world and then give it to a family that can provide and take care of it. I feel things that are not able to take care of themselves should be taken care of by others. It brakes my heart to see all the curelity towards people and animals in this world.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 01/02/08 - 12:41 pm
i agree that it is the owners

i agree that it is the owners fault for the way the dog is raised... but if a full grown dog is attacking people then shunning it off wont make the dog stop.. it will continue to happen therefore the dog is a danger to people and animal control would just put it down. if a dog is attacking me im not thinking about it being the owners fault... im thinking about hurting the dog before it hurts me.... ive had to shoot a couple of dogs before for coming after me or someone in my family. it sounds cruel but im not torturing the animal... just protecting myself and my loved ones... the owner is responsible but unfortunatly i cant shoot the owner

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 01/02/08 - 12:50 pm
I really don't have much

I really don't have much sympathy for the prisoners complaining about conditions in the jail. I do, however, feel bad that the employees down there have to come in to find raw sewerage on their paperwork though. Something has needed to change down there for many years......

TB07
TB07 01/02/08 - 12:54 pm
charlie: that is the RuDEST

charlie: that is the RuDEST thing i have ever in all my years seen. I really hope Karma comes back to haunt you this year. I really hope you are some young punk that doesn't know any better, and not a MAN who should. You are really showing your true colors, and no one respects you. You better hope SP comes after you with a cane, before I see you out somewhere.

scoobasteve
scoobasteve 01/02/08 - 01:31 pm
All I can say is HOW 'BOUT

All I can say is HOW 'BOUT THEM DAWGS!!! You can't spell Sugar without UGA!

lathy
lathy 01/02/08 - 01:37 pm
the people who write here

the people who write here are just plain stupid, or they do not live in richmond county. if the conditions in the jail are bad, then the inmates will sue the county in federal court. THEY WILL WIN. then, we will have to pay the damages, their lawyers fees and we will still have to fix the jail.

sneaky pete
sneaky pete 01/02/08 - 02:03 pm
Well said H2S.

Well said H2S.

Rose
Rose 01/02/08 - 02:09 pm
PlayaFace, The dog can't help

PlayaFace, The dog can't help it if its owner does not take care of it.Pepper spray will work. Killing the dog is cruel.

kiddspur
kiddspur 01/02/08 - 02:25 pm
Those complaining about the

Those complaining about the jail conditions -- be glad they are here -- they could be in Arizonia where they get pink tents, pink undies and pink portable potties all out in the open -- maybe we need to make our jails a little less comfortable......oh yes they even have to pay for meals there by working in the jail....

GSneed
GSneed 01/02/08 - 02:34 pm
An interesting quote

An interesting quote concering the impact of socio-economics on OUR community..."The police and the criminal justice system is expected to clean up the mess, but they didn't create the mess. They aren't responsible for the social problems of the city, the failure of the school system, the degeneration of the family unit. And until the city does something to rectify those problems, crime and murder will continue to be a problem."

donnymack
donnymack 01/02/08 - 02:42 pm
If Hillary represents

If Hillary represents socialism what in the world will the party of liars,cheats,theifs and war mongers be called besides the Republican Party the party of family values.

Rose
Rose 01/02/08 - 02:52 pm
kiddspur, it is unsanitary to

kiddspur, it is unsanitary to live in sewage. The jails with the pink tents are sanitary. Nobody should be forced to live in filth that can cause disease.

charlesmanson
charlesmanson 01/02/08 - 03:04 pm
hey fraud boy tb07 got your

hey fraud boy tb07 got your dentures in? then bite me! what was your screen name yesterday? if you are new how would you know anything about this board? there are 2 sides to every story.every time i come on here and respond to a post, the old "salt" or should i say the soggy saltine attacks me personally. i don't bite my tongue for anyone i throw it right back at you, like most men would.if you and your friends can't handle that than, well who cares? only the strong survive.

sneaky pete
sneaky pete 01/02/08 - 03:10 pm
now that sounds like a cry

now that sounds like a cry for help. My resolution for the new year is not to get into a war of words with those who come in unarmed. Let it go yonce. I have.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 01/02/08 - 03:18 pm
rose it is not cruel if a dog

rose it is not cruel if a dog is coming after me to shoot it.... i protect myself before i will hold back from killing a dog i dont even know. torturing, beating, not feeding and fighting dogs are cruel. have you ever been attacked by a dog? i would say not... if so you would be wishing you had a way to shoot that dog too.

charlesmanson
charlesmanson 01/02/08 - 03:19 pm
gee h2s what am i supposed to

gee h2s what am i supposed to do now cry? go away loser. if it wasn't for people like me writing posts, you bottom feeders wouldn't have anything to respond to, would you? you have to feed off of my posts because you're not intelligent enough to write one of your own. i agree kiddspur (maybe i am losing it) if rose disagrees then i agree.anyone in law enforcement will tell you that most of this riff raff has been in and out of jail since they were kids.one can't complain too much about conditions in which they could have avoided, but chose not to. i'm much more concerned about those soldiers making it home than those criminals who knew better.