Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

THANK YOU TO the kind man in the Augusta Mall outside Starbucks. You were so nice and saved me a great deal of time and anguish in locating my mother's purse. Just when I think there is only evil and cruelty in this world, someone like you restores my faith.

A BIG RANT TO THOSE WHO park in the no-parking zones in front of supermarkets and sit in the vehicle while another of their party shops. To make it worse, you fuss back when someone criticizes you.

THANK YOU FOR AT LEAST being sorry my white cat was run over and killed on our small cut-through dirt road in Appling. The speed limit is 15 mph, posted by the county because of children. Our road has been closed to through traffic because of speeders using it as a quick cut-through, which has caused several wrecks. No one was injured, but it was just a matter of time. Shame it did not happen before my cat got in someone's way. It could have been a child.

A RAVE FOR MS. JENNIE at the customer service counter in the Augusta Mall. She was extremely helpful and attentive in helping me with my mother, as we required a wheelchair. My mother will remember you for a long time to come.

THIS IS A RANT for irresponsible neighbors -- if your tree falls, breaks a fence and lands half in your yard, half in someone else's ... clean it up! Don't just saw the fallen tree in half, fix the fence and leave the other half for your neighbor to deal with.

YES, VIRGINIA, there was a James Brown. Can we please move on?

A CAR LICENSE PLATE tag number to drive around town with New Year's Eve: DWIIM2.

RANT TO THE CHRONICLE: Why don't you create a separate section for James Brown and reserve the front pages of the paper for more current news?

A RANT TO THE CHRONICLE for shoving James Brown down our throats. A lot of other people have lost their parents this time of year, too. So what makes him so special? He's never done anything for me or put food on my table.

AGAIN I OPEN the paper Christmas Eve and James Brown's picture is looking at me. I enjoy his music, but, good God, two days of nothing but James Brown is getting old. The man has been dead over a year.

RAVE TO DOUBLETREE HOTEL, formerly The Sheraton: I have had a bridge table for 15 years. I came back after an extended illness, and someone changed the rules where I can no longer be a player at the table. But I will get another table of players. I wish to thank Sandy and Debbie, who are servers, and I will see them soon.

I'D LIKE TO THANK the members of the Augusta Fire Department for their fruit baskets they give every year to the widowed women. Thank you.

HILLARY'S HEALTH CARE or universal health care is socialism and communism, any way you spell it.

If you have an opinion you want to share, call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/02/08 - 05:08 am
For all of the James Brown

For all of the James Brown whiners. Don't read the offending article and you'll have time to whine about something else.

scrapple
scrapple 01/02/08 - 05:48 am
Happy New Year everybody!!!

Happy New Year everybody!!!

Reality
Reality 01/02/08 - 06:13 am
I really like the rant about

I really like the rant about the condition of the brother's jail cell . I wonder who she has been visiting for "some time now", her brother or other family members locked up for breaking the law.....

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 01/02/08 - 06:43 am
If you are in jail.. you

If you are in jail.. you shouldn't be getting it your way.. yes things need to be fixed and should be in working order.. But this is jail!!!.. Oh yeah!!.. I forgot.. jail is like a luxury hotel for some.. Anyways.. I think prisoners should not get any rights unless it has to do with an appeal or abuse or some other severe action.. but that's it.. ridiculous!!

wildman
wildman 01/02/08 - 06:44 am
Could someone please tell FOX

Could someone please tell FOX that starting a game at 8:30 pm and running two hours of commercials is crazy. Some of us have to get up and go to work the next day. No reason for a game to last greater than four hours.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 01/02/08 - 06:44 am
A new face: Socialism.

A new face: Socialism.

pops1
pops1 01/02/08 - 07:27 am
I too am tired of seeing

I too am tired of seeing disabled parking spots filled up with people from out of state or different counties and have no placard or disabled tag...either parked or sitting in the cars. Come on sheriff departments all over ...start paying attention and you could fill your ticket books quickly in a kroger, publix or wlamartparking lot...Especially at walmart on bobby jones

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 01/02/08 - 08:26 am
I have a RANT--The school

I have a RANT--The school system here doesn't want to expel those who are inclined to fight with others. If your kid comes home with a bruise or something, take the school to COURT!~ Failure to protect their students is now the only option you have due to the system being too soft on those who fight with teachers. IF this keeps up, you might have students come with GUNS next and then what???

Reality
Reality 01/02/08 - 08:33 am
Well, if they have a gun than

Well, if they have a gun than they should be offered alternative school......I am sure it wasn't their fault.........

dani
dani 01/02/08 - 08:38 am
Uncle ..I will tell them the

Uncle ..I will tell them the next time they call and ask for my opinion...
Wasn't much of a game either.

dani
dani 01/02/08 - 09:02 am
I agree with the whine about

I agree with the whine about James Brown articles. Let's please give the man a rest.

happyending
happyending 01/02/08 - 09:34 am
I have one for you this

I have one for you this morning my dog and I were attacked by another dog Saturday night. I live in an apartment complex and I made the manager of the proerty aware of what happened and made a complaint with the proper people as well. The authorities were very helpful and the property manager was too but my problem with the whole situation was that the property manager could not tell me who or even if the dog belonged in the complex. Now I thought that is was up to the leasing office to keep track of this information. Well to make a long story short I walked around the complex and talked with others and found out who the dog belonged to thank you to the good neighbors.

nadps53jrt
nadps53jrt 01/02/08 - 09:38 am
Your brother is real bad

Your brother is real bad business for the CSRA or anywhere. Why don't you do something to help keep him from doing the wrong things he is doing to put him there.

intheknow
intheknow 01/02/08 - 09:45 am
Thank you P.T. for your 4:08

Thank you P.T. for your 4:08 a.m. post.

Concerned in Georgia
Concerned in Georgia 01/02/08 - 09:47 am
about the jail situation,

about the jail situation, you are right, prisoners should not have any priviledges, however, what the writer is talking about is mildew in the cells, toilets overflowing or leaking in the bottom of them, the cells smelling like sewers. That is a problem, and that is not a priviledge.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 01/02/08 - 09:51 am
the brothers jail cell?

the brothers jail cell? really? he is in jail... he broke the law... he shouldnt be treated like he is staying in a luxary hotel... if its broke.. deal with it

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 01/02/08 - 09:53 am
i would just like to welcome

i would just like to welcome hawaii to the s.e.c...... not used to how we grow em in the south huh? just remember... you cant spell sugar without u.g.a... gooooooo dawgs!

brownskin30434
brownskin30434 01/02/08 - 09:55 am
To concerned in Georgia: This

To concerned in Georgia: This is jail we're talking about. If the conditions are bad enough, maybe, just maybe, it'll discourage repeat offenders.

Concerned in Georgia
Concerned in Georgia 01/02/08 - 09:55 am
The people talking to the

The people talking to the person talking about her brother should not judge. What if it was your family member in jail. She is not asking for priviledges or to be treated like he was in a hotel, she is just saying the the cells are nasty and should be fixed.

luckie
luckie 01/02/08 - 10:04 am
A few months ago there was an

A few months ago there was an article in the ac about a grandparents association in Augusta and grandparents rights. I cannot find it in the archives. I know that one of the gentlemen that runs the program is named Mike. I saved it but since I have had my hard drive cleaned up and I really need it. KIng James, Take a stand, rose, patricia thomas - I bet one of you know. Can you help me find it?

pablanco
pablanco 01/02/08 - 10:07 am
This is a rave to baroness

This is a rave to baroness for giving me a much needed clean perspective on many things.

mojo
mojo 01/02/08 - 10:12 am
youpeoplearecrazy - if you

youpeoplearecrazy - if you want advice you might consider a different screen name - dogs are the main reason folks carry a stick while walking (if they needed a cane to walk they probably wouldn't go for walks). The same rules have worked for 100's of years - if you see a bothersome dog - cross the street and avoid it - if it's continually out off a leash roaming your neighborhood and menacing people - well that's a good day for a short walk during a time of day that folks don't notice much while carrying a big stick (firearm) - do everyone (well almost everyone) in the neighborhood a favor and shoot the d*** thing - then report the carcus to the apartment manager - they'll have the maint crew clean up the mess- you don't need to mention you created the mess - save that for a disccusion over beers a few years from now.

HGGP
HGGP 01/02/08 - 10:15 am
RE: A RANT TO WHOEVER has a

RE: A RANT TO WHOEVER has a say about the Law Enforcement Center. I have been visiting this jail for sometime now and was really surprised to hear why some things in my brother's cell were not being fixed. The deputies told me that there were only three or four maintenance workers at the jail and they had several other buildings to tend to besides the jail. I think this is really bad business for the county.
MAYBE YOUR BROTHER SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT HIS ACCOMODATIONS BEFORE HE CHECKED IN! YOU DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! OH, I AM SO SORRY, HE DOES NOT PAY TO STAY THERE! WE PAY FOR HIM TO STAY THERE! THEREFORE, HIS LIVING CONDITIONS SHOULD IN MY OPINION BE UNBEARABLE, THAT MIGHT SERVE AS SOME REHABILITATION FOR THE INMATES WITH FREQUENT FLYER MILES. CRY ME A RIVER!

luckyladydays
luckyladydays 01/02/08 - 10:19 am
People in jail are there

People in jail are there because they have no regard for society's laws... Why should we have regard for them? Granted, the cells are nasty and dirty, and they smell, but if it were anyone besides her brother in that cell, I bet she wouldn't even care what condition the cell is in... As far as if my family members were in there? I guess that'll teach them, and if it doesn't, they did the crime now they have to do the time...

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 01/02/08 - 10:21 am
To Grace Whitfield, I agree

To Grace Whitfield, I agree it should not be resort type atmosphere in any jail, but, if there's mold mildew present that is a health hazzard. While in the custody of any authority their health and safety IS the responsibility of the authorities. In this case it is the Richmond Coutny Jail.....Serious lawsuits could result from these kind of conditions should someone die from exposure to mold, etc., and yes it could happen. Also, thanks to Baroness it has been pointed out that there are innocent people held there as well as employees who are there everyday. It isn't a luxury issue, it's health and safety.

johnsmith
johnsmith 01/02/08 - 10:23 am
How nice that the story about

How nice that the story about kids who beat up their teachers isn't working and cannot accept posts. How doubly nice to see that our school system's oh-so-successful "tribunal" system is working so well. But, hell, most of the private schools work the same way, seems like. Say one thing, do another, because the people "in charge" don't want to take a chance on damaging little Johnny's psyche, or having mommy and daddy make a mean face at them. So, hey, set up a "council" of some sort that can generate some "buy-in" from the same people that are causing the problems. Brilliant. What happened to hiring a principal and making him or her responsible for being the expert in the area of discipline and the like? If you were to do that (heresy, I know), then you could FIRE the person who is not getting results, and give a great big RAISE to the one that is (always assuming that their contract would allow you to do either). Instead, now, you get a vague complaint about the "tribunal" and how they are not upholding the standards. Wow...what a mysterious situation. I just can't imagine why you would get poor results once you've eliminated accountability at every level. Good luck, Dr. Bedden!

luckyladydays
luckyladydays 01/02/08 - 10:38 am
I'd like to also submit a

I'd like to also submit a rebuttle to the baroness... She was talking about her concern for the prisoners, not the employess of the jail... As far as the employees go, they do not deserve to have to work in such drastic conditions... As far as that goes, maybe they should look into having the facility cleaned up and fixed... But, as far as the other girl goes, she does not care about the people that work there, only her family member who is imprisoned there... Maybe that is why we are offering such harsh criticism to her rant...

charlesmanson
charlesmanson 01/02/08 - 10:53 am
got a new screen name for you

got a new screen name for you pete when they suspend you again and you come back with that same boring,dumb sad story of yours.WIZARD! you are the wizard of oz all in one.you needed a new heart, you need courage and get it here telling stories knowing no one can verify them, you need a brain because you use phony movie stars as real heroes,you're like the tin man you need a can of oil to lubricate yourself before you can even move in the morning.why would i need to limp away going to hit me with your cane?old man? hehe

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/02/08 - 10:53 am
Whether a person deserves to

Whether a person deserves to be in jail or not, no one deserves to live in such deplorable conditions that could effect their health. We have become a society that has lost compassion for our fellowman. I agree that someone that breaks the law should be held accountable for it and punished but no one deserves to live in sewage and mold infested conditions. We are not talking luxury here, we are talking basic sanitation. Maybe we need to stop and consider, just by chance, if it was someone in my family, would I want them living/breathing in those conditions. We all make mistakes, some worse than others, but these are still human beings.

happyending
happyending 01/02/08 - 10:55 am
Mojo thanks for the advice.

Mojo thanks for the advice. The problem is that I had never seen the dog before and I was minding my own business when this dog came from no where and attacked us. The owner took about 10 minutes to get there after I started screaming. The man never asked if I was ok or even if my dog was alright. I am just shocked at how people dont seem to care anymore. What if that was one of my children and that dog thought that my child was a dog. I usually do carry a cop style Mag light flash light with me just leave it to be the night I was absent minded that a dog attaked. I will never leave home without it again.