Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

I WOULD LIKE TO applaud our new Richmond County Superintendent, Dr. Bedden. I think he just may be heading in the right direction. I have a child in middle school and I just can't come and sit in the classroom all day and watch my child, not just for behavior but just to have the teachers do their jobs. With the new plan of improvement, maybe they will focus on establishing goals and achieving them, instead of holding the children accountable.

I WOULD LIKE TO give a thumbs down to the folks working at the child support office. My husband's ex-wife is over $8,000 behind in her child support. Well, come on, folks. If this was a man he would be thrown in jail. Do something about the WOMEN behind in their child support!

TO THE PERSON whose New Year resolution is to educate Augusta drivers: I don't believe you'll find any traffic officer who will fine a driver for stopping for a funeral, illegal or not. This is the South and it's what we do.

A MAJOR RANT TO Columbia County school board. You couldn't have picked a more boring color scheme or mascot for the new school? It is so blah. ... Boring, boring, boring.

A RANT TO MR. LUMPKIN at Cross Creek High School. He needs to stop talking on his cell phone.

WAS THE USA made in China? Why have we put everything in this country out of business? Where can we buy "Made in USA?"

I WISH THE PAPER would do a better job of covering all local sports. You put the all region 4-AAAA softball team in the paper but not the 3-AAA.

SEEMS A BUNCH of people witnessed some lady tapping out on her little girl at the Publix, so many that they all felt compelled to write to the paper in order to yell at her in return. Why didn't they just step up at the moment and castigate her?

A RANT TO THE GUY that drives around town in what looks like a huge, silver Dodge Durango on a flatbed. Unless you're a school bus driver or in the Partridge Family, there's no need for a vehicle that large.

I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE credit to the fire department and 911. A house across the street was on fire, and 911 answered on the second ring and the fire department was there in less than three minutes. No one gives the fire department enough credit for putting their lives on the line every day for other people.

A RAVE TO the fine, young men at Evans' Rhinehart's on Dec. 11 who came to the rescue of my husband, who was having a seizure. Their quick response kept him from falling on the ground and getting hurt. They stayed with him until I could bring the car over and put him inside. Raves for the great people at Rhinehart's who packed our food to go and didn't even charge us! Bravo! Love ya'll!

A RAVE FOR the Augusta Lynx hockey players I saw at MCG. My little cousin is in MCG's children's hospital and on a day I was visiting with her, three Lynx players came to the hospital and brought Christmas teddy bears to all the children. I think they are wonderful.

YOU'D SPEED OUT of SRS, too, if you worked there and had to put up with the things they put up with every day.

TO THE MAN in the silver BMW convertible on South Belair Road: You may have thought you were cool shifting gears and texting, but you were plain stupid. Keep it up and you'll be texting for some help for the accident you've caused.

EXPERTS SAY 2007 was the eighth-warmest year on record. So -- if it's not FIRST warmest year, then there can't be any global warming. Various ambitious people are simply using this as their own steppingstone to personal power.

THE POLITICALLY CORRECT idea that a crook who commits a crime -- in this case a dope crime -- should be released from jail early, even though at the time he committed the crime he knew what he was doing, will only create a sudden swarm of criminals into our towns and cities. We're in real trouble and our leaders don't know it.

TO THE IDIOT setting traps for cats in Shadowmoor: Cats can't be kept in a cage or forced to stay inside. They hurt no one. You don't want any of my cats caught in your trap, 'cause I will find you!

HERE'S A RANT for the person complaining that state workers had the day after Thanksgiving off from work. Well, we don't get paid the big bucks like you, so we get benefits instead. Leave us poor folks alone.

I DON'T LISTEN TO OPRAH when it comes to picking a book. Why should I listen to her when it comes to picking a president?

charlesmanson
charlesmanson 01/01/08 - 03:48 am
time for bed, but also one

time for bed, but also one more new years insult. everyone shout! sneakypete, aka john wayne, aka marshall dillon, aka herman munster, because his body is patched up and has other peoples parts included, including the bolt through his redneck, made it another year, big deal! let's all head to the poolroom and enjoy a redneck buffet with the marshall.beef jerkeys,pickled eggs,and plenty of peanuts! whoo hoo! see you there! (not you baroness) you're the only one on here who has any class, besides myself, and kiddspur, is he still alive? rjay i'm coming but you've shortchanged every bailbondsmen in town, let me see if i can get mike t fallaw over in aiken co.

kiddspur
kiddspur 01/01/08 - 06:49 am
For those looking for

For those looking for ssatisfaction go to the following site -- satisfaction.com -- maye you can find help there!!!!

wildman
wildman 01/01/08 - 07:25 am
For the person speeding out

For the person speeding out of SRS, if it's that bad you have a choice and that is "find another job".

SoWhat
SoWhat 01/01/08 - 07:45 am
Well the problem with our

Well the problem with our schools was certainly brought vividly to the forefront today. Parents who think their children should not be held accountable. Maybe teachers should just do lobotomies and pour education in their BIG BAD THICK skulls. Maybe a few lobotomies on some of the parents too.

karmakills123
karmakills123 01/01/08 - 07:47 am
happy new year !!!!!!!!

happy new year !!!!!!!!

SoWhat
SoWhat 01/01/08 - 07:51 am
Well the problem with our

Well the problem with our schools was certainly well stated by a certain rave today. "Don't hold children accountable". What an awesome idea. Maybe my boss won't hold me accountable for doing my job and I can just disrupt the job site and draw my check. Maybe Dr. Bidden should hire a neurosurgeon to do lobotomies on these kids. Just open their skulls and install the knowledge they need.... hey do it on the parents who think it is all the teachers fault when a child does not learn.

momofthree
momofthree 01/01/08 - 08:10 am
First of all the problem in

First of all the problem in our schools is the lack of education. Too much time and energy is wasted on unnecessary disciplinary actions. Let's start with suspension for tardies to class and school, where is that benificial. How many teachers are late, and how many times and do they get suspended without pay??? Well why not?? The kids get suspended without the right to make up the work.

Last time my son was suspended for tardies to class at Evans High, I made them pull the teachers time records, and I had the class monitored for her attendance and punctuiality, it was attrocious. I had the suspension removed form his record, and I had the makeup work given and I said that from that point on it wouldn't happen again.

Hold the facuilty and staff accountable for what they hold our children accountable for and don;t back down. Report their manner of dress, report their condecending attitudes, report their lack of instruction, report their tardies and abscences, if we as parents allow this to happen it will continue.

Let us teach our kids by example, teach them to stand up for what is right. And when the kids are wrong, stand behind the school too.

momofthree
momofthree 01/01/08 - 08:10 am
First of all the problem in

DRAMAMAMA
DRAMAMAMA 01/01/08 - 08:13 am
who cares about who is

who cares about who is driving what????it's their business and their problem what they drive!! let them feel the burn in their pockets with the high gas prices...if that's their choice of vehicle...so be it!

dani
dani 01/01/08 - 08:25 am
By all means . Don't hold the

By all means . Don't hold the kids accountable for not learning. He/she Must have some-kind of dumb kids.

maninthepi
maninthepi 01/01/08 - 08:43 am
rolltide on your post about

rolltide on your post about your buddy eating the fish head with other parts trailing from it i would guess there were a few sm's consumed prior to that right? like you say oh the good old days

dani
dani 01/01/08 - 08:53 am
A lady was 'tapping out on'

A lady was 'tapping out on' her little girl?? Come on folks. You can do better than this. How did you come up with this idiotic, outrageous phrase.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 01/01/08 - 09:09 am
To "I don't listen to oprah".

To "I don't listen to oprah". Who gives a crap. So don't listen to Oprah, what's your point.
And to the person who complains about how big a persons vehicle is and that they don't need one that big. Who died and made you ruler over what people drive, or wear or live, or go to worship etc...It's a free country dog. Get over it.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/01/08 - 09:13 am
"Made in USA" products are

"Made in USA" products are readily available in the up scale stores. That's because the union wages and the expected profit margin can't compete with the cost of the "made in china" products. The decision of what to buy belongs to the consumer and how they want to spend their money. Stopping competition isn't the answer.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 01/01/08 - 09:13 am
What the Hay is "Tapping

What the Hay is "Tapping Out"???????????????

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 01/01/08 - 09:15 am
Cats not in your yard or your

Cats not in your yard or your house are "fair game" for trappers. It's not a right or wrong issue, it's a what is issue.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 01/01/08 - 09:25 am
To the disgruntled wife. If

To the disgruntled wife. If his ex doesn't pay child support that is between them. You have nothing to do with it. Save yourself the headache. Don't let this take up so much space in your head. You are not in controllllllllllll........................

jack
jack 01/01/08 - 09:28 am
Damn cat on my BMW ain't

Damn cat on my BMW ain't going to last very long. Trying to catch and eat birds in my yard-same ending, so come on looking for me and I'll meet you half way. Yes, you can keep cats in the house all their lives (I did), so that crap holds no water.

jack
jack 01/01/08 - 09:29 am
Happy New Year all !

Happy New Year all !

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 01/01/08 - 09:29 am
Yep. patriciathomas is

Yep. patriciathomas is correct. Sorry. (about the cat issue). My sentiments exactly.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 01/01/08 - 09:42 am
To "I don't listen to oprah".

redapples
redapples 01/01/08 - 09:47 am
It is attitudes like that of

It is attitudes like that of "momofthree" that amaze me - always looking for a way to deflect rerponsibility off of the child and onto someone else. The teacher being held to their professional responsibility is different from the student being held to theirs. Both are necessary, but one is not dependent upon the other. Don't teach kids to look for excuses. Teach them to strive to do their personal best! In the situation you describe, the teacher obviously did not learn that lesson as a child and should be held accountable, but so also should your child.

Bizarro
Bizarro 01/01/08 - 09:50 am
*There is a leash law for

*There is a leash law for cats and dogs so obey the law or try to change it. Your personal perspective that cats are no bother is selfish as others seem to be complaining-why else the traps. You also threatened, in a public forum, the trapper which is bad cricket.
*If you don't want to buy Chinese products quit shopping at Wallmart.
*Teachers in the public schools are held to high standards and accountability with continuing education and testing. Professors in universities and medical schools are not scrutinized to such a degree.
*Put the sheriffs office on speed dial to report offensive or dangerous drivers-let the law handle them.

barbara451
barbara451 01/01/08 - 09:53 am
yeah, let's get rid of all

yeah, let's get rid of all the cats and the dogs too, they shed too much. Then get rid of the birds who leave droppings. Droppings? That means get rid of the trees and bushes/flowers that drop leaves. Let's pave over every inch of the earths' surface and get rid of all the animals. That will solve the problem.

dani
dani 01/01/08 - 10:25 am
angie People are posting

angie People are posting their opinions. Nothing wrong with that. I enjoy reading the rants as well as raves.

get real3
get real3 01/01/08 - 10:30 am
hey angie i can feel what the

hey angie i can feel what the "disgruntled wife" is saying and it is between her and her hubby, that money comes out of her household as well

PTHS2
PTHS2 01/01/08 - 10:31 am
maninthepi - I don't even

maninthepi - I don't even know what Sam Magoo is, much less an SM. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Happy New Year!

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 01/01/08 - 10:35 am
Hear is a site that will help

Hear is a site that will help find some products made in the US www.madeinusa.org .

a crazy old man