Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

A RAVE FOR THE person that found my wallet and chose to keep it. I got a much lower rate on my new credit card, a better plan for my checking account and a more flattering picture on my driver's license. Oh, FYI, you were caught on video when you tried to cash one of my forged checks. Thank you very much.

WHY CAN'T River Watch be renamed for Ryan Clark? Recognize our own. How shallow our lives must really be not to remember what greatness could be.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE the money to tip, then don't go out to eat. We waitresses are trying to pay for Christmas, too!

RAVES TO COLUMBIA COUNTY for the beautification of Furys Ferry Road islands.

I AM FOR GIVING raises to the sheriff's department and the fire department, but there should be a better way of doing it rather than raising the homeowner taxes. This happens every time the county needs money.

SO COOL HOW Sheriff Strength and Richmond County Sheriff's Office busted all of those gangsta lowlifes in a rather clever mousetrap "tattoo mall." I wonder, is there a TV episode about this in production somewhere? If not, why not? I'd love to see these local punk thugs getting busted.

A RANT FOR you sports enthusiasts out there. Look at who Ohio State played this year, where they were ranked, and tell me the BCS is not ignorant.

LOOKS LIKE THE library needs to invest a few hundred bucks in security cameras for the restrooms instead of major bucks on plumbers and carpet.

A BIG RAVE for Channel 12's Meredith and Tim on the morning news. What joyful personalities!

TO ALL THE PEOPLE who drive around without car insurance, you are stupid and selfish.

A RAVE FOR Mayor Deke Copenhaver in his "lead salesmanship" role. He needs to sell his ideas to the Augusta Commission first and foremost. Let's hope and pray for progress as a community.

THE CHRISTMAS LIGHT-UP Spectacular was the best event I've ever attended in downtown Augusta. A big thanks to Mayor Copenhaver, The Augusta Chronicle and all the sponsors. Great job!

BUSINESSES, HOSPITALS and schools cannot control the idiots that call in the threats until they are caught. If you are evacuated over and over again, guess what? It's for your own safety.

TO THE PERSON WHO ranted about bomb scares at Doctors Hospital: Are you nuts? Do you think they want the scares? What is your point? I think you have none.

A RANT FOR THE people who leave shopping carts in the middle of aisles at grocery stores and walk off. Folks, you ain't the only ones shopping there.

GO, TIM TEBOW! Yeah -- he'll get two more wins over UGA yet.

I'D LIKE TO GIVE a big rave to the CSRA Towing Alliance and its Tipsy Tow program, which is keeping some of the drunks off the road this season. These wrecker drivers could be home at night in a warm house with their families, but instead they're out serving their community. So a happy New Year and a tip of the hat to all you guys. You're providing a great service.

I THOROUGHLY ENJOYED the letters to Santa from area children The Chronicle printed this year. How sad, though, that one child wrote that all he wanted was for his mommy and daddy to get married. Even if mommies and daddies don't think it's important to be married when they have kids, you better believe it matters to their children.

THE ONLY PEOPLE in America who are guaranteed medical care, housing, food and clothing are those serving time in correctional facilities or illegal aliens.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

As It Is
As It Is 12/30/07 - 02:13 am
Speeders, bomb threats being

Speeders, bomb threats being called in, theives, persons who leave shopping carts in the isles full of groceries and then leave the store, leaving unwanted items in various places throughout stores, not having the decency to return shopping carts to the fron of the stores or at least the corals, not tipping hard working servers and bartenders, etc. - This seems to be becoming the norm instead of the exception. We all need to begin to take personal responsibility and acountability for our actions and as parents we need to instill proper values within our sons and daughters. Just simple common decency and doing what is right would make this area and the entire country a much better place to live in. And hey, lets take it a step further by practicing random acts of kindness as it really does work. www.actsofkindness.org is a great place for all of us to start the new year off right. I will do my best and challenge each of you to do the same.

carolinagirl1970
carolinagirl1970 12/30/07 - 02:48 am
I think people that dont have

I think people that dont have car insurance sure does not need to be on the road and should be in jail.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 12/30/07 - 02:50 am
It seems like there are more

It seems like there are more execution style murders now than before that big gang round-up.

As It Is
As It Is 12/30/07 - 04:26 am
Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 12/30/07 - 07:33 am
I agree, Augusta

I agree, Augusta resident....seems some thugs don't like being snitched on. It also appears they have considerable "pull" still, while in jail.

twman
twman 12/30/07 - 07:50 am
eveyone on the patriot

eveyone on the patriot bandwagon i want to know if u was on that bandwagon when they got caught cheating this year, and against the jets no less

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/30/07 - 08:13 am
to the person complaining

to the person complaining about county property taxes. If the money is used to improve the county, the taxes will come from the residents. Pay raises and schools and buses and all of the county stuff. Who else would pay for it?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/30/07 - 08:15 am
The BCS is an attempt to

The BCS is an attempt to control the money from the bowl games while avoiding a national play off. No one will ever be satisfied with it.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 12/30/07 - 08:42 am
I don't mind paying more

I don't mind paying more taxes. I just hated it when the County wasted money on losing law suits. That money could have went toward raises. I figured the money lost in the last law suit would have given 81 employees a $2000 raise. The County spent $500,000 for a company to survey downtown parking and didn't take their advice. We are still facing more law suits. The last SPLOST passed and there's still no new judicial center because we need SPLOST 5 to come up with other half of the money. Maybe we will see some better results with the new comission.

CSRAider
CSRAider 12/30/07 - 09:24 am
What the heck I only respond

What the heck I only respond when Im at work what the heck am I doing here on a Sunday! Oh yea! Paying the Bills! PSS The new shopping carts arnt as good as the old Kmart style. Do you guys remember getting in and going downhill after (finding) one in a parking lot. See yall at the Chik-fila-Bowl GO Tigers HAHA!!

uptheseventhplanet
uptheseventhplanet 12/30/07 - 09:34 am
Who besides property owners

Who besides property owners would pay for county improvements? Shoud residents who are not property owners reap the benefits of improvements at property owners' espense?

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 12/30/07 - 09:48 am
to the person regarding

to the person regarding parents not being married. you don't know the circumstances surrounding the situation. what if the dad is a drug head or vice versa. no. i do believe divorce rates are high enough. that's why we're adults and they're children, we've lived longer and know a little bit more. you can maintain a healthy loving relationship with your children outside of a live in relationship situation. they're a lot of "married" couples who subject they're children to pure hell, because of their lifestyles. any how if the parents are loving and get along and live together, children are not as sad, if sad at all that mom and dad aren't married.

Itll be alright
Itll be alright 12/30/07 - 09:58 am
to the person complaining

to the person complaining about folks not tipping. i used to be a server a lot of my years, and yeah it is frustrating. however if you want to make decent tips, a lot of times you need to work at a more upscale establishment or you best be a damn good server. even better get training else where doing something different. you're gonna always have the a-holes who think they don't have to tip, but you will not find those in your finer places. get another job. it's the nature of the beast.

WhiskyDick
WhiskyDick 12/30/07 - 10:00 am
Why should we name a public

Why should we name a public facility after someone for simply being at the wrong place at the wrong time? We all suffer tragedy; only the vain seek sympathy by publicizing their grief.

Concerned in Georgia
Concerned in Georgia 12/30/07 - 10:19 am
I would like to know how does

I would like to know how does the writer figure illegal aliens get guaranteed medical,housing,food, etc.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 12/30/07 - 10:27 am
There are a ton of illegals

There are a ton of illegals in jail.

prolifer
prolifer 12/30/07 - 10:29 am
Here's a TIP for the whining

Here's a TIP for the whining waitress: Don't display a negative attitude and we (paying customers) will GIVE YOU MONEY. You accepted that job knowing what you would get paid. All else is earned. You give poor service and expect others to pay you for it. Get another job and remember, YOU chose to make those Christmas debts. Mine were paid for before I chose to go to eat.

Concerned in Georgia
Concerned in Georgia 12/30/07 - 10:35 am
Profiler, you are being mean,

Profiler, you are being mean, I won't deny there is bad service sometimes, but the majority of the time, people don't tip unless it a fancy restaurant, and even then they may not leave the 15% recommended. When you give customers great service and they don't tip, trust me when I tell you, you won't get the same service next time you come in.

Concerned in Georgia
Concerned in Georgia 12/30/07 - 10:38 am
And another thing, just

And another thing, just because you are at a buffet, i.e CiCi's pizza, Pizza Hut, etc. does not mean you do not tip your server. They are still taking care of your needs, even if they did not take your order or serve your food.

Concerned in Georgia
Concerned in Georgia 12/30/07 - 10:39 am
Sorry, I meant Prolifer.

Sorry, I meant Prolifer.

luckie
luckie 12/30/07 - 10:46 am
Years ago, the baggers would

Years ago, the baggers would bag your groceries and carry them out and load them in your car and you would tip them. Now the only place that I know of that does that is the commissary. Years ago, you could pull up to a gas station and someone would gladly pump your gas for you. I don't know of anywhere this happens anymore. Always, waitresses have worked for a bare minimum and depended on tips. Some days when I go out, I feel like its give me give me give me. From the va on post to the salvation army at walmart to the waitresses at the restaurant and to those sheriff's and fireman that are constantly calling on the phone. As seen from my beginning, change can happen. I think it is time for food establishments to just pay the waitresses minimum wage and not have them dependent on tips. Do away with the tips all together. The prices go up anyway.

rufus
rufus 12/30/07 - 11:22 am
The clever ruse to round up

The clever ruse to round up gangs has been done before. Send letters to all of the fugitives mothers telling them they won some money and all they need to do is come in and claim it. I'll bet half the idiots show up.

GASUNSHINE08
GASUNSHINE08 12/30/07 - 11:26 am
Good customer service has

Good customer service has become very rare. Most people act like they don't even want to be at their job. They show no enthusiasm or energy & act like they could really care less about their cust. I work 2 jobs, both in customer svc, and I see all types of cust svc being del. A smile, friendliness and acting like you care go a long way towards building a rapport with your cust which leads to bigger tips, notes to higher ups in the company about you and sometimes gifts (if you work where that is allowed). Keep smiling, leave your problems at home, act like you care about your job and that will help a lot

heartablazing
heartablazing 12/30/07 - 11:57 am
There is a cashier at Evans

There is a cashier at Evans Wal-mart who used to be very cheerful and she at least acted like she enjoyed her job. After a few weeks of this her attitude changed dramatically. I finally asked her what happened to the cheerful cashier That I was used to seeing. She sayed the manager told her to tone down or get fired. Apperantly she made all the other cashiers look bad. Now she is just a zombie like the rest of them.

Rose
Rose 12/30/07 - 12:19 pm
I have been very stressed the

I have been very stressed the last few days. I have been having problems with the pharmacy we have used for yrs. I had a big problem with them, so I picked up new prescriptions from my dr. The pharmacy said they had faxed the dr, and the dr said they never received anything from them. I caught the pharmacy in another lie, and the pharmacist cocked an attitude, but I got my medications Friday. Last night I filled my 7 day pill box up, and that is when I realized they had only 15 days supply in the bottle instead of 30 days.Those pills are for blood pressure, and I am sick from dealing with that pharmacy. I switched everything over to another pharmacy this weekend, but before I found out the bottle had just half of what I was suppose to get. This has never happened to me before. I could call the place and get into it with them and get more stressed out, or I can call my dr tomorrow and see if he can give me samples to make up for my loss. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

dani
dani 12/30/07 - 01:02 pm
You can buy your groceries at

You can buy your groceries at Publix and get them bagged, carried to you car, and they won't take tips. Great no-hassle place to shop.

dani
dani 12/30/07 - 01:10 pm
Rose. I deal with Hill Drugs

Rose. I deal with Hill Drugs and I have received the wrong amount a few times and they always take my word for it. Take the bottle to the drug store and simply say that the amount was wrong and wait for their response, don't try to argue with them

john
john 12/30/07 - 01:10 pm
I dont know if it is

I dont know if it is convenient for you, but the CVS by Wrightsboro and Jackson is great. At least this has been our experience. If the pharmacy made a mistake, they should correct it. I would call your Dr's office as well and explain to them. Good luck

Rose
Rose 12/30/07 - 01:12 pm
john, that is the same one I

john, that is the same one I have been having problems with, especially since the long time manager left in August.

Rose
Rose 12/30/07 - 01:15 pm
My sister-in-law just told me

My sister-in-law just told me to call CVS and tell them to do a count of that medication and that I am 30 pills short. If I get no results to file a complaint with the head office and thenthe FDA.