Augusta Economy

More News | Fort Gordon | Plant Vogtle | Savannah River Site | Editor

Across the area

Police searching for Family Dollar robber

Richmond County authorities continued Sunday to look for a man described by witnesses as the robber of a business the night before.

According to a sheriff's office report, employees at Family Dollar, 1713 Walton Way, said a 200-pound, 6-foot-tall man entered the business about 6:30 p.m. and grabbed cash from a register, then ran toward the rear of the business.

Anyone with information can call the Richmond County Sheriff's Office at (706) 821-2080.

SRS safety forum announces series of meetings in 2008

The Savannah River Site safety forum will begin its third year with four 2008 meetings. Dates include Feb. 13, May 14, Aug. 13 and Nov. 6.

Meetings are held at the Houndslake Country Club in Aiken. Registration begins at 7:30 a.m. on meeting dates, with presentations starting at 8 a.m.

For more information, contact Debbie Epling at (803) 952-9898 or debbie.epling@srs.gov.

Aiken museum will feature lecture series on city history

The Aiken County Historical Museum and the University of South Carolina Aiken Office of Continuing Education are presenting a five-part lecture series on the county's history.

The Many Facets of Aiken will be from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays from Jan. 22-Feb. 19 at the museum on Newberry Street.

The program will feature lectures on the Winter Colony homes, the story of the Winter Colony and its people, and the history of the Savannah River Site.

The fee to attend the series is $30, which includes a $15 donation to The Friends of the Aiken County Historical Museum and a one-year membership for new members.

Towing companies volunteer services to keep drivers safe

The CSRA Towing Alliance will volunteer their services to help keep drunken drivers off the road through Jan. 1.

The Tipsy Tow program will provide free transport home within 10 miles for drivers and their vehicles in Richmond and Columbia counties.

The central dispatch number, provided by MEDCOM of Georgia, is (706) 855-2336. Drivers can call this number and the towing company on call will be contacted.

Participating members of CSRA Towing Alliance, a non-profit business association of towing and auto-body repair shops, are A2Z Towing, Bobie's Towing, Chancey's Towing, D&S Tire & Auto, Edward's Paint & Body, Kernaghan Paint & Body, Pearl's Towing, Tony's Towing & Recovery and Vern's Wrecker & Recovery.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/24/07 - 01:50 am
I think I know four people

I think I know four people that could be the robber of the family dollar store. One is black, one is white, one is oriental, one is an indian. I think I'll play it safe and make four anonymous calls to the police.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/24/07 - 01:53 am
Is the 10 mile limit for the

Is the 10 mile limit for the tipsy tow one way or round trip? I'd hate to have a 6 mile tow and wake up to find a bill for $60 on my windshield. Or, what if I have my car towed 11 miles, do I get charged for the whole 11 miles or just the 1 mile over the limit? I don't drink, just askin'.

aw8ngjustice
aw8ngjustice 12/24/07 - 02:36 am
Thanks for making my night

Thanks for making my night Patricia Thomas. Just trying to figure out how you think of so much to say about so many things. I should be so fortunate.

pablanco
pablanco 12/24/07 - 04:01 am
PT, lets go out for a soda

PT, lets go out for a soda some time ok?

SargentMidTown
SargentMidTown 12/24/07 - 04:04 am
This post is about the trash

This post is about the trash who lives behind the Family Dollar Store.
There is a dog tied to a post with only about 2 feet of chain at a house located at 1712 Jenkins Street here in Augusta.
The poor animal has no way to get in its dog house to get out of the weather. This is located directly behind the family dollar store on Walton Way.

Thursday, several people reported this to the Richmond county animal control and to Augusta Cares. Today, DEC 24th the dog is still sitting there in the cold mud. The people who occupy 1712 Jenkins Street are able bodied curel people. Our community would be better off if these kinds of people were run out. Why doesn't our D.A. prosecute people like these who live at 1712 Jenkins Street in Augusta, GA ?

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 12/24/07 - 07:13 am
How come the Family Dollar

How come the Family Dollar stores get robbed all the time? They need to change their name.

wavelandtransplant
wavelandtransplant 12/24/07 - 07:23 am
aw, you're a meanie. Patricia

aw, you're a meanie. Patricia Thomas makes me smile. Tongue in cheek is her forte.

butterflygina
butterflygina 12/24/07 - 07:25 am
Family Dollar probably gets

Family Dollar probably gets robbed all the time because of 1) the attitudes of the employees or 2) the other employee (who should be working the other register, with 10 people in line) is always elsewhere in the store "stocking" or bs around. And for the two family dollar employees (peach orchard rd, bi-lo shopping plaza)who were shaking their heads and making small comments because a box from a stack a customer was looking at fell, the one who is always stocking (u know which one you are) should have stocked and set up a little better.

butterflygina
butterflygina 12/24/07 - 07:26 am
Sargent you should not have

Sargent you should not have listed those people's address.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 12/24/07 - 07:31 am
patricia thomas is a closet

patricia thomas is a closet racist and the only funny thing about her is she doesn't think anyone knows

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/24/07 - 08:18 am
Pardon me Sargent but, did

Pardon me Sargent but, did you yourself go up to the door of the house located at 1712 Jenkins Street here in Augusta and let the people know that their animal was in a bad situation or did you and the others just call the authorities. Also you can call Richmond County’s finest and if it’s as bad as you say they will get animal control there right away.

a crazy old man
a crazy old man 12/24/07 - 08:21 am
butterflygina, why shouldn't

butterflygina, why shouldn't the Sergent list the address?

peonynut
peonynut 12/24/07 - 09:28 am
If you call the number given

If you call the number given in the article you won't get anyone working at RCSD. It is the wrong number.

scob
scob 12/24/07 - 09:31 am
OTS - Friday my daughters

OTS - Friday my daughters step father (and my friend) was killed in a car accident in Grovetown. What upsets me the most is the lack of respect or accuracy from the Augusta Chronicle. On Sat the AC reported the wreck to be at 9pm, then Sunday it had 9am and reported his age as 37. Also in the same issue was his obituary listing his age as 35. I know the Chronicle was busy with James Brown, Tom Murphy, and a Marines dog. I just wish they would have respect this young mans family enough to edit it before they printed it My daughter wanted to clip the articles out to keep for her little sister (his daughter) for when she grows up. But, due to the lack of fact finding all the articles are different.

WhiskyDick
WhiskyDick 12/24/07 - 10:24 am
Tipthy Tow thru the tulips

Tipthy Tow thru the tulips with me!

NoRestForMe
NoRestForMe 12/24/07 - 10:45 am
SargentMidTown. You seem to

SargentMidTown. You seem to have first hand information regarding the residence you speak about, especially concerning the animals. Did you call Animal Control to come out and see about the animals? If they find that they are not taken proper care of they will take the animals and cite the owner. The DA cannot prosecute cases that are not presented to them.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/24/07 - 10:51 am
pantherluvcik, I wonder what

pantherluvcik, I wonder what your definition of a racist is. You come across as very confused on this holiday season. Too much 'flavored' eggnog?

Rupret in the middle east
Rupret in the middle east 12/24/07 - 10:56 am
A good question, why do

A good question, why do family dollar always get robbed? If I was the owner i would set up safety devices to protect my employees and help put an end to these butt heads that are doing these crimes. RCPD can only do so much, but we as people of a community can put a stop to these people. I have a military background, if U R wrong I like to call a snake a snake and a liar a liar. if U are doing good I like to give credit for that, but if you are living in darkness I will put the light on you, nothing personal, just i believe in doing right. Respecting my neighbor as myself. Scob, sorry for the miss print, but you know the truth and prayer changes thing, I have look thru bloody water and seen dry land before. True thing, prayer changes thing. I am in the middle east at this time and I read the chronicle on line everyday, over here they treat criminal very harsh here, maybe the laws need to change to fit the needs. Merry Christmas and Happy Newe years To All.

lezniack01
lezniack01 12/24/07 - 11:39 am
poor little dog. Im just the

poor little dog. Im just the one who will risk life and limb to see about this dog. I will go to the door. I will see this dog out of misery.

aw8ngjustice
aw8ngjustice 12/24/07 - 03:10 pm
You have got to stop. I can't

You have got to stop. I can't stop laughing until you stop posting.

coco rubio
coco rubio 12/24/07 - 03:32 pm
oriental

oriental

WW1949
WW1949 12/24/07 - 03:48 pm
Harrisburg is sliding into

Harrisburg is sliding into oblivion and the good older people are being replaced by crackheads, drunks and people that do not do annything. I have been going thru there everyday for the past 25 years and see the changes. Just ride thru and see how they live.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 12/24/07 - 03:53 pm
Pat, is closet racist alright

Pat, is closet racist alright and that closet is made of glass.She's not fooling anyone but herself and fellow racist.

mable8
mable8 12/24/07 - 04:49 pm
Why did the robber of the

Why did the robber of the Family Dollar Store run to the back of the store? Evidently, he knew the back door was open???? Sounds fishy to me. As for the poor abused animal, why haven't you contacted Animal Control or the RCSO about it? There is no justification for anyone to abuse an animal and be allowed to get away with it. So, Sgt, please call the authorities and let the dog have a happier Christmas.

standtall
standtall 12/24/07 - 07:32 pm
Whether someone is a racist

Whether someone is a racist or not is irrelevent when considering their point of view. The criterion should be whether what they say is valid. And calling each other names is a bit childish, don't you think?

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 12/24/07 - 09:07 pm
Baroness, you're one of her

Baroness, you're one of her racist buddies I was talking about. You just try to choose your words carefully.You're not fooling no one but yourself.People like you are a major part of why Augusta will never grow.No matter what you say, we (blacks) no what kind of people you are.

Rose
Rose 12/24/07 - 09:33 pm
I never seen anything

I never seen anything baroness has written that is racist. where is it? You won't find it except in your mind.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 12/24/07 - 09:47 pm
Rose, you guys are all the

Rose, you guys are all the same.Of course, you are going to back one another.The truth is none, of what you say means nothing to anyone but fellow whites. Call it racist or whatever, none of it means anything to blacks.Some may agree with you to get support,but for the majority of us, who cares.Whatever you feel, back at ya!!!!!

Rose
Rose 12/24/07 - 10:25 pm
Here's back at you. Look in

Here's back at you. Look in the mirror. I am not the racist. You are.

Rose
Rose 12/24/07 - 10:26 pm
Get off this black and white

Get off this black and white thing. Get over it. We are all members of the human race.