Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

THIS IS IN RESPONSE TO a rant and rave about Channel 6 news and their acting like idiots. First of all, it's Channel 12 news that cuts up and all, but so what? Start your morning off with a little smile. News is bad enough as it is. All people do is complain about this and that and the other and worrying about what color Bob Smith's shirt is. Give the people credit, and start your day with a smile.

TO THE PERSON complaining about children using road humps for skateboarding: Are you the same type of person that complains that children are indoors too much doing video games? Leave the kids alone!

A RAVE FOR THE LADY who challenged me when I was in Wal-Mart and broke in line. Thank you for doing that; you're absolutely right, and I was dead wrong. I'm sorry.

IN THE PAST TWO WEEKS I've had the pleasure of picking up my granddaughters at two different schools in Aiken County. Both schools' students came out and took down the flag. No respect whatsoever for our flags today. They are not taught the protocol of going out and folding the flag properly.

THIS IS A RAVE for the Augusta Ballet School. I attended the Nutcracker last weekend. How wonderful to have this performance in Augusta!

WE STOPPED at the Meadow Garden historic home on a tour, and we heard an all-accordion band play music that we could relate to and enjoy. We like that very much. Hope Historic Augusta does it again. This is a rave.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

Reality
Reality 12/13/07 - 04:13 am
I am sure the children have

I am sure the children have never been taught the proper way to care for a US flag.

observer1
observer1 12/13/07 - 04:39 am
Elaborate on schools, please.

Elaborate on schools, please. Were they elementary, middle, or high? If high schools, do they have JROTC programs? This is relevant because I learned the proper protocol for folding the American flag early as a cadet. One might say that children should be taught the protocol so that they can learn to be respectful to our Nation's flag, but I highly doubt that elementary or middle schools would find it useful to have an instructor or cadet go to the school and teach them when they have so much to deal with already. It may not fit the curriculum. I could be wrong though...

rg
rg 12/13/07 - 07:00 am
I happen to like Tim and

I happen to like Tim and Meredith on Channel 12. I think it is great that they love their jobs and want to make everyone's day brighter. If you do not want to see happy broadcasters then watch some other channel. Rock on Tim and Meredith !

sarmain
sarmain 12/13/07 - 08:16 am
When I was in school which

When I was in school which wasnt all that long ago I learned the proper way to handle the flag in elementary school and during the year the school would rotate which students took it down so we all got to learn what to do. But i'll bet most of the teachers in schools now have no idea how to take down and fold the flag.

createyourfuture
createyourfuture 12/13/07 - 08:18 am
Proper respect for the flag

Proper respect for the flag and our country is not part of the PC curriculum.

If we had school choice, there would not be these problems.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/13/07 - 08:32 am
Back when disrespect for the

Back when disrespect for the flag and church and country in general weren't taught in school, a boy scout squad would take down and raise the flag every day with all the necessary pomp. Today's standards have been lowered, mostly for political and politically correct "reasons".

lulu
lulu 12/13/07 - 08:44 am
Cut in Line? You should have

Cut in Line? You should have had your butt kicked.

createyourfuture
createyourfuture 12/13/07 - 08:51 am
A rave for the Augusta Lynx!

A rave for the Augusta Lynx! They played the best hockey I have ever witnessed at Gwinnett on Tuesday. This is a much better team than last year. They need your support. They will be at James Brown Arena on Friday and Saturday nights. Come down and join us!

createyourfuture
createyourfuture 12/13/07 - 08:54 am
Likewise, a rave for SC

Likewise, a rave for SC electing a home schooling Mom as the leader of SC schools. I am sure she will have a philosophy of much less PC and much more school choice. The teachers' unions must be reeling! Good!

cones
cones 12/13/07 - 09:09 am
Let your kids skateboard in

Let your kids skateboard in the road, but please, don't sue when they get hit. It will be your idiocy that is at fault. They can play outside without playing in the street.

DRAMAMAMA
DRAMAMAMA 12/13/07 - 09:34 am
is it just me or am i too

is it just me or am i too busy listening to the news to even worry what the newscasters are wearing...we complain about the most insignificant things... i think some people just sit around wondering all day what to complain about and since they cant find nothing valid they pick something dumb...now i have an unsignificant rant for you...how about this weather...lol

dani
dani 12/13/07 - 09:40 am
A parent wants their child to

A parent wants their child to skateboard on the streets...
Does this person know how much damage this does to the pavement? But by all means, if your child wants to skateboard send him out to play in the traffic., It is much less trouble than taking him to a safe location.

SilentJ
SilentJ 12/13/07 - 09:50 am
Why would you cut in line and

Why would you cut in line and expect to get away with it?

mojo
mojo 12/13/07 - 10:00 am
I guess it's better late than

I guess it's better late than never, but it's unlikely the person you offended will read your rave. It just goes to demonstrate the value of manners, being respectful of others and being aware of your surroundings, behaviors that are rarely practiced in retail stores today. I constantly find folks wanting to run over you with their shopping carts, blocking aisles entirely (even store employees) and parking lots are definately the most dangerous place on the planet to walk or drive.

isitme
isitme 12/13/07 - 10:05 am
I watch Meredith and Tim on a

I watch Meredith and Tim on a 6 inch b/w TV in my kitchen every morning, so I can't even tell what they are wearing. I just appreciate their sense of humor so early in the morning. I will be sad when Meredith is only doing the evening news. I hope they get someone that will continue to lighten up the news to replace her in the morning!

Boston93
Boston93 12/13/07 - 10:11 am
Rants, rants, rants to those

Rants, rants, rants to those who spend their time worrying about Churches, Schools, others donating shoes/food/gifts, etc. to the needy. Who cares what they think? If they spent their energy helping out, what a better world this would be.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 12/13/07 - 10:14 am
I switched from Channel 6 to

I switched from Channel 6 to 12 months ago. Things are to serious and Tim and Meredith are so refreshing first thing in the morning....they start your day off with a smile. And you can tell they are just "pretending" as some do....they truely click and are spontaneous.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 12/13/07 - 10:23 am
This is just one more example

This is just one more example of "No good deed every goes unpunished..."

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 12/13/07 - 10:31 am
I don't know if you are the

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 12/13/07 - 10:39 am
I don't know if you are the

I don't know if you are the young lady who was with, presumably, her Grandmother in Wal-Mart who tried to break in line in front of me. If you are, I accept your apology. If you aren't, I applaud your integrity for the apology offered. I agree, Mojo that parking lots are especially dangerous. While pedestrians may well have the right of way, it amazes me they continue to walk behind a vehicle who is clearly trying to reverse from a parking space. They have a much better vantage point of back up lights than a driver may have of them who may be approaching from a blind spot or behind another parked vehicle. I never assume a vehicle exiting from a parking space will be able to see me and will stop and allow them to back safely.

Rose
Rose 12/13/07 - 10:50 am
Latest news is Feds raid Al

Latest news is Feds raid Al sharpton's house. They are looking at all his finances.

dani
dani 12/13/07 - 10:55 am
Rose, Could this possibly be

Rose, Could this possibly be true! Miracles happen at Christ-mas time.

dani
dani 12/13/07 - 11:13 am
Hillary's campaign is trying

Hillary's campaign is trying desperately to find all the dirt on Obama. They are now hammering him about his past drug use. Aren't these campaigns fun to watch.

Rose
Rose 12/13/07 - 11:16 am
Now the Clinton advisor is

Now the Clinton advisor is backing away from those comments, and apologized.

egan01
egan01 12/13/07 - 11:24 am
At least we know that the

At least we know that the stupid speed hump are good for something other than slowing down emergency vehicles.

hockey cat
hockey cat 12/13/07 - 11:30 am
I second the Rave from

I second the Rave from createyourfuture. I didn't make it to the game but we listened on the radio. It was an awesome game and we would have loved to have been there in person. We were with the team in spirit. Come on out to the games this weekend. They are alot of fun and the fans are great. We have an awesome team. Hope to see you all there.

charlesmanson
charlesmanson 12/13/07 - 11:31 am
pat, lay off the schools.it's

pat, lay off the schools.it's the parents,stupid! who have unleashed these young slobs unto the world stage,and embarrass us with their ignorance.most couldn't fold a flag,couldn't tell you how many stars and stripes there are,or what the capital of missouri is.they can't fold the flag because they have a cell phone in one hand, a gameboy in the other, and a pizza box stuffed under their arm,all the while waiting for mom with her phony bring the troops home ribbon covered suv to pick them up so they can stop by baskin and robbins before it closes.

Rose
Rose 12/13/07 - 11:38 am
I am not twisting the story.

I am not twisting the story.

charlesmanson
charlesmanson 12/13/07 - 11:41 am
i wonder how many screen

i wonder how many screen names the paper will allow you to use here. it's a shame that some hide behind them (i've only had 2 popkorn and this one)i had to change because then because i was suspended. a person should step out of the dark, if you have the guts to say something, have the guts to say who you are.must be lonely living in fear.if i were someone as say sneaky pete i would change my name to scary pete or [filtered word] or maybe meatloaf?