Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

I WOULD LIKE to thank everyone who rode in the Toys for Tots motorcycle ride put on by Augusta HOG Chapter 2371 and sponsored by Augusta Harley-Davidson. Because it was our first annual ride, I was very excited to have 60 bikes and around 110 people participate.

JUST AS GOD punished us with 9/11, he is punishing us now by bringing a drought upon all Georgians for their misplaced support of George Bush. Repent, and the rains will come.

RANT TO THE Georgia Supreme "left wing-liberal-bleeding heart" Court. Child molesters are now free to create havoc with our children.

A RANT TO THE person who is concerned about the horrible living conditions at the jail on Walton Way. I am very concerned, too, about the drug addicts, rapists, murderers, etc., residing there on taxpayer money -- the same taxpayers that they victimized.

WE NEED an outlet mall! Not another high-end mall.

I THOUGHT GAMBLING was illegal in the state of Georgia. If so, why is the Georgia Lottery allowed to swindle poor people out of their money? Each night at 6:59 p.m. on TV, the same person comes out in basically the same suit, and the wheels begin to turn. What's so ironic, you never see the man's face again until all the numbers have fallen.

I WOULD LIKE to be the first to get my New Year's resolution in. I will try to educate more drivers. If you are not passing somebody, stay to the right if possible. Doing exactly the speed limit, your speedometer may be off, and if it's correct that's called malicious compliance, which is also illegal. Impeding the flow of traffic: If there's more than three cars behind you, pull to the right or make a right turn. Do a 180 and fall behind the rest of traffic since you are obviously too slow. And no illegal stopping for unescorted funerals.

JUST A MESSAGE to other moviegoers. During the holidays, many people enjoy going to the movies with their families. When we pay $9 after 3 p.m. to see a movie, we'd like to enjoy it. When the message comes up reminding you to silence your cell phone -- please do. It'll help us to enjoy the movie.

FOR THOSE who pride themselves in multitasking while driving (young or old): All you do is risk your life as well as the lives of others. Come on, a 63-year-old driving an 18-wheeler, doing his log books, eating a three-piece chicken dinner and talking on his cell phone?

I HOPE I AM never on the interstate at the same time the 63-year-old trucker is eating his three-piece chicken dinner, doing his log books and talking on his cell phone!

I AGREE concerning the belly-dancing show at the Imperial Theatre. This was one of the best performances I have seen anywhere, and only a handful of people were in attendance.

THIS IS A RAVE for The Augusta Chronicle and for the circulation department. Especially for the little girl you got down there -- Sabrina. She does an excellent job.

A RANT TO the Georgia Department of Transportation and the city leaders of Augusta for continually tearing up Interstate 20 and making it almost impossible to get around in the city. You are making it too much like Atlanta, and you need to stop.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

necodaddy
necodaddy 12/12/07 - 03:24 am
Now I'm as anti-bush as any

Now I'm as anti-bush as any anti-busher (lol), but wow. I didn't know god didn't support him either and now he's punishing us with lack of rain. Come on, your just too much on that one. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

necodaddy
necodaddy 12/12/07 - 03:28 am
And I'm all for the driver's

And I'm all for the driver's education comment. I mean Jesus. Some people will occlude the whole flow of traffic on 520 or I-20 by driving below the speed limit in the fast lane and will have the nerve to get angry when people are following too closely or passing them and blowing their horns. It's mean's get over grandpa! Left lanes are for the slower drivers.

twman
twman 12/12/07 - 04:36 am
LEFT lanes are for the slow

LEFT lanes are for the slow drivers?By the way,how the heck can you people see inside a semi truck to see what he's eating,writing,etc?

bayouboogie
bayouboogie 12/12/07 - 05:17 am
I don't agree with the very

I don't agree with the very talented 63 year old multitasking, nor do I agree with you looking at him do all of this while you are driving.

prolifer
prolifer 12/12/07 - 06:09 am
How in the heck do you know

How in the heck do you know the trucker's age? Get a life. Think about it...the person made contact in order to get an age. I guess the PO PO is ranting!!!

Inkjet
Inkjet 12/12/07 - 07:03 am
Oooooooooh! So Georgians are

Oooooooooh! So Georgians are to blame for 9/11! Thanks for clearing that up - NOT!!!

Inkjet
Inkjet 12/12/07 - 07:07 am
You know what happens when

You know what happens when you try to "educate" drivers? You end up with a beatdown because, if you haven't already figured it out, let me "educate" you, you can't tell anyone anything, they do what they want to do!

Martinez
Martinez 12/12/07 - 07:09 am
For those commenting about

For those commenting about the 63 year old - a woman recently posted that her 63 year old husband could multitask and listed those activities. The comments were in response to her comment.

Jennifer30907
Jennifer30907 12/12/07 - 07:09 am
The truck driver comment was

The truck driver comment was initailly made several weeks ago by the guy's wife. She was priding herself on the fact that he can multi-task and still be a good driver. I think she's just as nuts as he is.

Jennifer30907
Jennifer30907 12/12/07 - 07:10 am
LOL Martinez, great minds

LOL Martinez, great minds think and time things just alike!

This_is_nuts
This_is_nuts 12/12/07 - 07:11 am
necodaddy, the right lane is

necodaddy, the right lane is for the slower drivers.. maybe thats people's problem here in Augusta, they think they are supposed to be in the left lane! hahaha I know you simply made a mistake, but just wanted to point it out. bayouboogie and prolifer---they know this based on someones previous rant stating her hubby could do all these things while driving.

jus sayin
jus sayin 12/12/07 - 07:12 am
People know what the trucker

People know what the trucker is doing because his wife wrote in and told us the other week.

This_is_nuts
This_is_nuts 12/12/07 - 07:13 am
lol, seems we all were up to

lol, seems we all were up to explain to bayou and prolifer at the same time!

oldenuff2nobetter
oldenuff2nobetter 12/12/07 - 07:32 am
The practice of stopping for

The practice of stopping for a funeral procession ( escorted or not escorted by the cops) is a simple show of respect of your fellow man. It has been a custom in the South for generations. When in Rome do as the Romans do or move to San Franciso.

huggybear308091
huggybear308091 12/12/07 - 07:45 am
What kind of low life Idiot

What kind of low life Idiot would try to even show there stupidity with a statement like associating the lack of rainfall in ga, with Bush and God. When you point a finger at anyone look at the Four others pointing back at yourself. I thought the biggest Idiots in this world were north of the North/South division Line but I see it is not fact.

oldenuff2nobetter
oldenuff2nobetter 12/12/07 - 07:52 am
Hey jasule75, Katina was

Hey jasule75, Katina was Bush's fault too. All the favorable events are caused by Jesse, Al, and Oprah. All the bad events are caused by Bush, Cheney, and conservitives. I didn't realize God played favorites, I though believers formed "one"priesthood of believers. Dang, I learn something new every day.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 12/12/07 - 08:16 am
jasule they used to be up

jasule they used to be up there but we've been infiltrated!

PoliticallyNcorrect
PoliticallyNcorrect 12/12/07 - 08:16 am
About the Lotto.. I have been

About the Lotto.. I have been wondering when someone would sue the GA goverment, claiming The Gov. turned them into a gambling addict. Think about it, you could say I never gambled untill they legalized the lotto. Now I can not feed my kids or pay my bills because I spend every dollar on the lotto dreaming of living like the commericals say you can (IF ONLY YOU WILL PURCHASE MORE LOTTO TICKETS) BTW...I have purchased less than $20.00 of lotto tickets since it began. If gambling was meant for us to win...Las Vegas would not exsist. Check the odds..you are more likely to get killed in an auto accident on the way to your neighborhood store, to purchase your ticket than to win the lotto...lol This is actually true!

lulu
lulu 12/12/07 - 08:27 am
The lottery is a tax on the

The lottery is a tax on the stupid

SilentJ
SilentJ 12/12/07 - 08:55 am
No one is holding a gun to

No one is holding a gun to anyones head and making them buy lottery tickets those people choose to buy those tickets.

RebelTA
RebelTA 12/12/07 - 09:04 am
There are individuals and

There are individuals and whole families in your town who not only will have no "Christmas" tree, but neither will they have any presents to give or receive. If you don't know them (and I suspect you don't), buy some food and a few gifts and give them to the Marines, the Salvation Army or some other charity that believes in Jesus and they will make the delivery for you. *

RebelTA
RebelTA 12/12/07 - 09:04 am
Instead of nit picking about

Instead of nit picking about what the retailer in your town calls the holiday, be patient with the people who work there. Give them a warm smile and a kind word. Even if they aren't allowed to wish you a "Merry Christmas," that doesn’t keep you from wishing them one. Then stop shopping there on Sunday. If the store didn't make so much money on that day, they'd close and let their employees spend the day at home with their families

RebelTA
RebelTA 12/12/07 - 09:05 am
Did you know that someone in

Did you know that someone in your town will attempt to take their own life this season because they feel so alone and hopeless? Since you don't know who that person is, try giving everyone you meet a warm smile; it could make the difference. Also, you might consider supporting the local Hot-Line: they talk with people like that every day. *

RebelTA
RebelTA 12/12/07 - 09:06 am
If it bothers you that the

If it bothers you that the town in which you live doesn't allow a scene depicting HIS birth, then just get rid of a couple of Santa’s and snowmen and put in a small Nativity scene on your own front lawn. If all of his followers did that there wouldn't be any need for such a scene on the town square because there would be many of them all around town. Stop worrying about the fact that people are calling the tree a holiday tree, instead of a Christmas tree. It was He who made all trees. You can and may remember him anytime you see any tree.

PAW
PAW 12/12/07 - 09:07 am
A 63 year old behind the

A 63 year old behind the wheel of an Eighteen wheeler is considered to be a WMD(weapon of mass destruction)......President Bush you are looking in the wrong place for WMD's.............we need somebody who will make it a law against OLD people driving........ Neal Boortz for President and Rush Limbaugh for Vice President

neversurprised
neversurprised 12/12/07 - 09:13 am
God is not a respector of

God is not a respector of persons, YOU reap what YOU sow.

migmack
migmack 12/12/07 - 09:14 am
God does not punish the good

God does not punish the good with the evil. That is the difference between Islam and Christianity "Mercy". If you feel that america should be punished go live in Iran with your brothers and sisters of islamic extemeist

DRAMAMAMA
DRAMAMAMA 12/12/07 - 09:21 am
wow. "tired of whining"...for

wow. "tired of whining"...for some one who's tired you sure did whine alot! lol...but i do agree with you...i was raised to believe that christmas is about the birth of jesus christ and not santa claus. i refuse to buy anything with santa on it, instead i proudly have nativity scenes and the three kings all around my home. i also saw the best three kings and nativity scene display in front of trinity hospital. it's just the most beautiful one i have seen anywhere! soo i give trinity hospital a huge rave for their beautiful display!!! i also agree that a smile goes a loong way and if you truly put some meaning behind it, it will make some ones day much better...

mentalrxtech
mentalrxtech 12/12/07 - 09:25 am
We stop for funeral that are

We stop for funeral that are escorted or not, up North also! That is not just a Southern tradition!

Jillian
Jillian 12/12/07 - 09:35 am
I agree with the whining-

I agree with the whining- ENOUGH already. If you have a car to drive how about being thankful you have it, have legs and arms to help operate it, have $$$$ to buy gasoline for it, and prob. have a job to go to which helps provide the money for gas.

There is a LOT we have to be thankful for! When I see how ugly and nasty people are to each other in the stores over material stuff it makes me just want to throw it all in the river and watch it float on by. Being kind to other's costs nothing. The world would be so much nicer if that was given for Christmas this year.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...