Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

THIS IS A RAVE FOR Judge Watkins for standing with the young man in front of the mall who was holding a sign for the crime he committed. The judge stood there with him and even though he was embarrassed it was a good thing. This is for you, Judge Watkins!

CONGRATULATIONS TO Richmond County for breaking up some gangs. I was wondering when North Augusta was going to break up the gangs around the middle school?

I'D LIKE TO have a rave for the Richmond County sheriff's department as well as the ATF and any narcotics agency, FBI, etc., for getting all this criminal activity off the street of Augusta. I'd like to make a comment to all these young mothers who have children by these criminals. Come forward. I'm sure you're out there. Get your child support. You're entitled to it. Let's put the cards on the table.

A WOMAN WROTE a letter to the editor complaining about a stray cat in her upscale neighborhood. I'm sure if the cat had known that, it would have looked for a low-income neighborhood.

IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD, we can look forward to Christmas decorations still up at Easter time. Is this just laziness or do they just not understand holiday decorations?

I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED in The Augusta Chronicle for not mentioning the 44th anniversary of our dear belated President John F. Kennedy. Happy Thanksgiving.

WE IN SOUTH CAROLINA appreciate Georgia Gov. Perdue's prayers for rain. We should hope our governor would do the same.

XMART OUGHT TO be able to have its license. I am tired of going to South Carolina to their sex store. When could we have one in Augusta?

A BIG RAVE FOR the very nice lady at the Walgreen's Drug Store who paid for my candy, gave me a big hug, wishing me a Happy Thanksgiving. God bless you!

I PROMISE, if you will keep your cats and dogs off of the highway, I will NOT hit them. Honestly.

THANK YOU FOR THE ARTICLES regarding the cats. Our neighbors seem to think that the cat has free range and I was handed the paper on how to keep the cat from coming into the yard. This is absolutely unacceptable and ridiculous.

ON FRIDAY, NOV. 23, the gates at Magnolia Cemetery were locked at quarter to 11. Why were the gates to the cemetery locked at 10:45 a.m. on a day after a holiday when lots of people were in town and would like to visit the cemetery to see their loved ones' graves?

I THINK YOU NEED TO MAKE a Georgia law saying all persons who drive cannot use cell phones. I think that needs to be a law.

If you have an opinion you want to share, call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

saintlover
saintlover 12/11/07 - 06:02 am
The gates where locked at

The gates where locked at Magnolia Cemetery because the workers where over looking at Augusta Golf and Gardens... let's take care of what we have before we start on something else...

debby
debby 12/11/07 - 06:07 am
Customer service at the

Customer service at the Grovetown post office is AWFUL! I called about a package tracking issue, and the heavily accented woman kept me on hold for 17 minutes without getting back to me. I finally hung up. When I called back, no answer. Granted, I had called five minutes before closing time, but leaving me on hold, while she probably waltzed right out the door to go home is certainly not the way to treat your customers. Shame on you.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/11/07 - 06:17 am
The only "belated" president

The only "belated" president I know of is Jimmy Carter and no one seems able to stop the doddering old fool.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 12/11/07 - 07:20 am
Debbie, you think customer

Debbie, you think customer service there is bad.. How about Comcast, Bellsouth, Department of Labor downtown, fast food restaurants. Employees that work with the public don't care about you are a happy customer or not. All they care about is showing, pretending to do everything right and then going home. That's it.. The big companies are more worried about people paying what they have to pay to get their money and that's it.. I have experienced more BAD customer service than good customer service. Even car dealerships where you are giving them money!!.. Imagine that!!

createyourfuture
createyourfuture 12/11/07 - 07:29 am
I have a suggestion for

I have a suggestion for customer NO service. Vote with your feet.

Jimmy Carter is becoming demented.

If the post office had competition, there would be better service.

pops1
pops1 12/11/07 - 07:30 am
regarding cats...last week

regarding cats...last week somebody wrote in that cats want to go outside and do their natural thing of exploring and hunting, etc....i have 3 cats and they ALL stay indoors. it is a manner of training.! as with children...would you let your children go out and play because they WANT to? My pets do not go out. Nor do they want to. I trained them from very young they stay away from the doors. all you need to do is shake pennies in a jar and it frightens them at a young age, anytime they are doing wrong...shake 1 or 2 times and they learn quickly that is NO. 3 cats and they don't go on the counters, tables, or stove or near the doors. they are now 15 yrs old. give or take a yr.

createyourfuture
createyourfuture 12/11/07 - 07:30 am
Micheal Vick is a thug. Enjoy

Micheal Vick is a thug. Enjoy your vacation!

Martinez
Martinez 12/11/07 - 07:40 am
Customer Service is becoming

Customer Service is becoming a lost art and is no longer valued as a required employee attribute by many companies. Call centers in particular are more concerned with employees following a script, getting off the call within a specified time limit and going straight into the next call with no time for documentation and/or follow up in-between. If an employee takes too much time helping someone or documenting the system to ensure the problem doesn' t have to be explained again the next time the customer calls - it hurts that reps daily statistics and could potentially cost that person a job. The idea is to provide the fastest possible service while paying the fewest employees. It is a shame as those really committed to service, often don't enjoy or seek service jobs because of the this.

Martinez
Martinez 12/11/07 - 07:44 am
homegirl - I agree with you

homegirl - I agree with you on the cat comment. I have a 10 year old cat who has never gone outside. I could leave my doors open for an extended period of time, and have done so plenty of times, whether bringing in groceries etc... and my cat will not go near it. She has no interest in being outdoors. Cats can definitely be trained to be indoor pets.

PAW
PAW 12/11/07 - 07:59 am
The only reason Mike Vick got

The only reason Mike Vick got 23 months in jail was because the "POWERS THAT BE" want Brett Favre and Tom Brady to have a chance at having a good career and getting recognized as one of the best QB's in the game........

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/11/07 - 08:06 am
dang PAW, I wish I'd said

dang PAW, I wish I'd said that.

sarmain
sarmain 12/11/07 - 08:10 am
I agree the X-Mart should be

I agree the X-Mart should be reopened

local girl
local girl 12/11/07 - 08:18 am
Try going to Sears,they will

Try going to Sears,they will stop waiting on you to answer the phone.(many times).they care more about the calls than they do the person already there

john
john 12/11/07 - 08:33 am
whatever PAW. Want good

whatever PAW. Want good customer serivice at a fast food resteraunt? Go Arby's!

debby
debby 12/11/07 - 08:42 am
Teachers and parapros should

Teachers and parapros should not be allowed to wear flip-flops to work in Columbia County schools. I see this footwear being worn everyday.

PAW
PAW 12/11/07 - 08:45 am
To all my european friends on

To all my european friends on this site.......I thought you ran Ryan B off the air ?.........He's still on the air and he even beat out the Mayor's pick for district 2 and he along with Marion Williams got Corey Johnson elected....... You're losing your grip...The revolution is near

Inkjet
Inkjet 12/11/07 - 08:47 am
I was talking to a very

I was talking to a very helpful customer service rep in the Evans Target and receiving his help when this rude, and might I add BLIND supervisor, manager, whomever she was just started yelling to him from across the counter about some stupid cart left out and not being attended to. I mean come on! I was the only person this customer service rep was attending to, the loud mouth supervisor could have waited a few seconds until he was through helping me to bust in and show off that she was in charge because it was obvious even to the customer service rep that she was just out of line throwing her weight around. Next time I am definetely speaking up and making their rudeness known, I mean that is just totally ridiculous!

what
what 12/11/07 - 08:50 am
PAW....the only reason Vick

PAW....the only reason Vick got 23 months in prison is because he is a celebrity. Maximum sentence for that crime is 5 years and had he been an average person like you or me, he would have received the whole 5 yrs.

heartablazing
heartablazing 12/11/07 - 08:54 am
Try a Auto-parts store. If

Try a Auto-parts store. If you call to find a price and availability of a certain part you will be put on hold for them to help a customer in the store. Now actually go to the store and you will be stopped in the middle of your question about a part so they can answer the phone. Makes no sense! And this is all parts stores, not one in particular.

Inkjet
Inkjet 12/11/07 - 08:58 am
You know the absolute only

You know the absolute only way these poor excuses for customer service and all are getting away with their rottenness is because we all stand by and allow it to go on. If we were to all start vocalizing our dissatisfaction, things could change.

createyourfuture
createyourfuture 12/11/07 - 09:07 am
Micheal Vick got 23 months

Micheal Vick got 23 months for pleading guilty to a crime in return for ending the investigation of other crimes at the federal level. State charges are pending. It looks like a long vacation. Maybe another remake of The Longest Yard?

CHATTYCAT
CHATTYCAT 12/11/07 - 09:23 am
michael vick knew exactly

michael vick knew exactly what he was doing--just like oj simpson-i gots lots of money and i'm famous and ain't nobody big enough to take me down. well,well,do tell

Concerned in Georgia
Concerned in Georgia 12/11/07 - 09:25 am
I agree with alot that is

I agree with alot that is being said about Customer Service workers, however, as being a Customer Service employee myself, it is not always our fault. When a customer comes in and we greet the customer, we would like an answer, when we ask a question, we would like an answer, and if you are not ready to order, then just say "give us a moment". If you come in being rude, then you ruin our day and in turn we become rude also. Be nice, don't demand and be patient, and you will get great customer service.

imdstuf
imdstuf 12/11/07 - 09:41 am
X-Mart can't be open because

X-Mart can't be open because we are a small christian town...oh wait...no, no...we want to clamor that we are a big city...the second largest in Georgia...but we want to be the small christian town...what do we do...we will remain stuck in the middle, thats it! We just won't progress! Nevermind the fact that all of us good southern Christians always talk about the law, until it is blatantly broken to shut X-Mart down...

rufus
rufus 12/11/07 - 09:48 am
Vick will play in Canada in

Vick will play in Canada in 2009.

jyynnie123
jyynnie123 12/11/07 - 09:49 am
I'm new in town and quite

I'm new in town and quite shocked that I haven't been able to find a store here to buy some goodies.. whereabouts or what is the sex store in South Carolina called? Thanks so much!

DRAMAMAMA
DRAMAMAMA 12/11/07 - 09:51 am
customer service is not

customer service is not bad...it just seems like customers always want everything their way or the high way and if you dont bend over backwards and give a customer evrything they want and if you dont do it their way then all of a sudden they start complaining of bad customer service. i work for customer service and i try my best to make my customers happy but sometimes customers demands are just plain ridiculous. you can offer them 10 different options but they want something that doesnt exist and if you dont make it exist then you are a bad customer service rep...we as cust svc reps have rules and guide lines to go by just like every one else has at their own jobs...so give us a break!!!

DRAMAMAMA
DRAMAMAMA 12/11/07 - 09:56 am
there is also a small store

there is also a small store right next to the verizon store on washington rd right behind longhorns that sells lots of goodies...

Jillian
Jillian 12/11/07 - 10:00 am
Christians enjoy sex

Christians enjoy sex too...lol so that "small christian town" line won't fly.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 12/11/07 - 10:17 am
PAW, I guess you've been

PAW, I guess you've been sleeping a lot and are only awake when the rest of the Vick unconditional supporters are. It seems like Favre and Brady ALREADY proved what kind of quarterback they are....but, I guess that's the only thing you can make a racial issue of today...go back to sleep.
Try Dell customer servicel, it's not that hard to get through, but, they're sometimes really difficult to understand..something about "standing beside themselves"
If you don't like the cats in your yard, feed them. What you feed them is your business as long as you don't let anyone else know.