Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

A RANT TO ALL the police cars parking on the yellow curb in front of the Law Enforcement Center at 401 Walton Way. If there was a fire, the fire trucks could not get close to the building. Besides isn't it against the law to park on a yellow curb?

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE tell me why the Corps of Engineers, what with Thurmond Dam being in its control, can't control the water level at Thurmond Lake? Surely the Savannah River hasn't dried up and is still flowing to the sea.

I SAY DON'T LET this global warming hue-and-cry worry you. Changes in weather patterns have been going on since the beginning of time and it will come back around to normal in due time. It runs in cycles, believe me.

A RANT TO THE public defender's office. Let me say I know that my child should not have broken the law. How come there is only one black investigator working them? I know a white investigator can do the same job, but we as blacks feel more comfortable talking to someone who looks like us.

THIS IS A RANT for anyone to question the recent arrests of the gang people. I don't care how old or young they were, the parents of the minors should have raised them better, and the ones of age should have known better.

I AGREE, SOUTH AUGUSTA needs some department stores and another restaurant.

If you have an opinion, call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax (706) 722-7403 or e-mail newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

wildman
wildman 12/07/07 - 05:35 am
Think I detect a bit of

Think I detect a bit of racism in the investigator rant. Would not bother me what color someone is as long as they are honest and do a good job.

Doctor j. Dudleydoright
Doctor j. Dudleydoright 12/07/07 - 05:38 am
The Thurmond Dam problem

The Thurmond Dam problem started in 1824 that is when the Corp got involved with the River systems. The real problem is that the Russell Dam should have never been constructed. They let water through the Russel Dam to create hydro power and then they pump it back into Lake Russell. The Hydro Power is not to be confused with the long trains that screw up traffic in Evans'Martinez and Augusta. We do not receive the Hydro Power just Traffic Jams and pollution. If you ever attend their meetings you will learn real soon that they Lie like a rug. So by us being the last Lake in the chain and everyone below Augusta depends on the Savannah River for water that leaves us with a mud hole. the Corp might tell you they are lowering the lake because they think Bin Laden is down there.TIm Walters Grovetown Ga.

Jillian
Jillian 12/07/07 - 06:27 am
hmmm... I guess your child

hmmm... I guess your child can only obey the law if a black person tells them too???

Reality
Reality 12/07/07 - 06:28 am
Let's not forget about the

Let's not forget about the loss of life and dignity at Pearl Harbor...

PTHS2
PTHS2 12/07/07 - 06:55 am
Honest - Thank you for the

Honest - Thank you for the rememberance of a tragic event and our fallen heros. I am curious why you suggest that we lost dignity in that attack. Can you please explain your feelings?

1957
1957 12/07/07 - 07:07 am
I fish in the river pretty

I fish in the river pretty often. Above the new lock and dam the water is about 24 feet, below the locks it is about 9 feet. The danger of hitting a stump is great. We are in a very serious drought and you can really tell it on the river. I don't know what the answer is, but we should real be thankful for our river and do all we can to protect it. Without it ...we are sunk.

Jennifer30907
Jennifer30907 12/07/07 - 07:09 am
Could it be because our

Could it be because our government knew what was about to happen and lack of communication between the branches of the service allowed it to occur?

Jennifer30907
Jennifer30907 12/07/07 - 07:12 am
I agree with Uncle BS. It's

I agree with Uncle BS. It's not the color that matters it's how the job is done. With people like that around, this city will never have racial harmony.

1957
1957 12/07/07 - 07:13 am
Pearl Harbor was the first

Pearl Harbor was the first attack on U.S. soil by a foreign country. We were totally taken by surprise. We were horribly reminded over 50 years ago to keep our guard up, keep our military strong and alert, and to never forget that there are people out there that hate and want to destroy us.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 12/07/07 - 07:18 am
This is to the only color

This is to the only color investigator.. you are just ignorant.. like the rest of the ignorant people that still feel racism.. Racism is only alive in you and that's just reflected through the person..

PTHS2
PTHS2 12/07/07 - 07:21 am
1957 - Say what? FIRST attack

1957 - Say what? FIRST attack on US Soil? I guess 1812 (among others) didn't count. I mean I know it was up north, but.......

1957
1957 12/07/07 - 07:27 am
excuse me . don't make a

excuse me . don't make a mistake around here or the sharks will eat you alive. I meant sneak attack on American soil that was on an island in the South Pacific. With airplanes with circles on them . HAPPY NOW PTHS ? This is such a mean place to post comments you people have at each other. Merry Christmas and Good bye.

PTHS2
PTHS2 12/07/07 - 07:30 am
C'mon man, I was trying for

C'mon man, I was trying for some morning levity. I knew you meant WWII. God Bless you too, Merry Christmas!

lezniack01
lezniack01 12/07/07 - 07:45 am
Its ok 1957. I knew exactly

Its ok 1957. I knew exactly what you were talking about . Most people did. But you are right. Some people on her can be down right cruel.

stumpjumper
stumpjumper 12/07/07 - 07:56 am
Come on, get real, get a

Come on, get real, get a grip........why can't this poor little black child have everything black, they get everything else they want and get it for nothing. The black race has mastered and achieved something that the almighty HITLER couldn't do, and that is conquer America. What a hell of a mess we brought on ourselves.

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 12/07/07 - 07:58 am
We have different races of

We have different races of people??? Gee my Mama always taught me that there is only 1 race. The HUMAN RACE!!! Merry Christmas everyone!

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/07/07 - 08:36 am
The "racist" approach to most

The "racist" approach to most things is an attitude promoted to keep a group of people in their place and supporting one of our political parties mindlessly. It's the largest link in today's slavery chain. Education will remove it, that's why so many push the "dumbing down of America" education program.

christian134
christian134 12/07/07 - 08:46 am
Just a tad racist don'cha

Just a tad racist don'cha think.....If that were a white talking about all the black investigators then that would be of a "horse of a different color" so to speak. Wow this is such a ole' song and dance and it is just stupid to keep it up. Find a new complaint

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 12/07/07 - 08:55 am
A black investigator instead

A black investigator instead of a white one? Seems like this mother should have been concentrating on teaching her child about how to be a law abiding citizen.

stumpjumper
stumpjumper 12/07/07 - 09:00 am
The truth hit's home doesn't

The truth hit's home doesn't it? That's why you wouldn't print my article. Had I used white instead of black, you would have printed it .

shivas
shivas 12/07/07 - 09:10 am
Wow patriciathomas, I never

Wow patriciathomas, I never thought I would see you be so tough on the republican party! Great job!

johnsmith
johnsmith 12/07/07 - 09:11 am
Hey, shivas, is this a hate

Hey, shivas, is this a hate crime? http://www.firerescue1.com/news/320455/ See, now, me, I think this is attempted murder, and should be prosecuted as such. The perpetrators should probably get something close to life in prison. However, everyone who supports "hate crimes" legislation would SURELY have to support the idea of giving them a harsher penalty because of the accompanying thought crime. And since the only thing harsher than life in prison is the death penalty, I have to wonder...

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 12/07/07 - 09:21 am
To the ranter of the public

To the ranter of the public defenders office--I am glad your son is in jail and away from YOU! That kid is messed up and needs to be corrected by someone else if that is how you are going to raise him. No hate crimes should ever be tolerated by anyone, black or white.

cones
cones 12/07/07 - 09:21 am
Going back to the rants,

Going back to the rants, building more stores and restaurants in South Augusta is a great idea. This will create more shopping business, and more places to rob for the criminals. More money all around. Why would anyone want to open on that side of town? That is ridiculous.

What a Day
What a Day 12/07/07 - 09:26 am
It really shouldn't matter

It really shouldn't matter who investigates the crime. If you think you would feel more comfortable with your kind, then you are wrong. 9 times out of 10, a black investigator is going to be harder on you because it would be an embarrassment to him to have one of his own commiting the crime. Teach your children better and you wouldn't have to worry about him/her facing an investigator in the end.

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 12/07/07 - 09:30 am
john smith i think it is

john smith i think it is attempted murder and i think it is a hate crime... as long as people continue to hate people because of their skin color then things like this will continue to happen. i had a friend who lived in germany until she was 17. when she came here she was floored by the way blacks an whites treated each other. its uncalled for a bit ridiculous

thohen
thohen 12/07/07 - 09:31 am
This has nothing to do with

This has nothing to do with any thing that was written today, but I just wanted to know if anyone else felt the same way I did about "charitable organizations" soliciting you like telemarketers. Sometimes, I feel they are worse than telemarketers, and really try and push a cause on you, and get upset if you tell them no or no thank you. And if by chance you do commit to giving them a contribution, they not only want it by a certain time, but if you forget, they call back and act as if you missed a house payment. Something should be done about this type of solicitation. It's bad enough that they fill your mail box with the same type of material. I give to some causes, but don't expect me to give to everything.

hockey cat
hockey cat 12/07/07 - 09:43 am
Another Rave for the great

Another Rave for the great article about the Augusta Lynx. The paper really seems to be getting behind the team. I invite everyone out tonight to see the Lynx remain undefeated at home. We have a great team. I'll see you all there!!!

NotyourDadsBuick
NotyourDadsBuick 12/07/07 - 10:08 am
1957 sure was a bit

1957 sure was a bit sensitive! I think if you state something on the board as fact and others can show your fact is not as accurate as you stated it to be, then you should be called out for it. Now, if you want to state your opinion then people can lambast you all they want but they can't correct your opinion. 1957's statement about Pearl Harbor needed to be corrected, because he was wrong. The more educated among us know that if it hadn't been corrected some of the dimwits on this board would have walked away thinking it factually accurate.

db16
db16 12/07/07 - 10:15 am
Why wont people let the race

Why wont people let the race issue die?
Your child broke the law...it is irrlelevant if there is only one "black" investigator working down there...gimme a break already! these people are here to serve justice, regardless of color! That is part of their oath. Do you think they should also have an asian/american, hispanic/american, latino/american, irish/american, german/american, etc. down there too?
Would you also request the judge to be the same color...and then the prosecuting attorneys...etc. We are all ONE NATION...Start looking at yourself in the mirror and saying that...kill the race card ... it is almost 2008 for crying out loud!!!

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...