Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

THIS IS A RANT FOR the Columbia County coaches and school system. The coaches for both schools should be fired because they are not setting good examples for our kids.

IN SOME OF OUR "wars" we would give a criminal the choice of jail or the military. I think we should open up a special branch just for the "bad boys" and send them to Iraq.

PRAYERS ANSWERED about rain? We tend to forget that "no" and "not yet" are also answers to prayer. The mighty God of heaven is not a cosmic Santa Claus.

I NEVER THOUGHT I'd put a rave in the paper, but what Sheriff Ronnie Strength has done for our community speaks volumes about his ability in law enforcement. Our commissioners have a chance here to set a precedent for other communities by voting to increase our officer's pay.

RAVE, RAVE, RAVE to Richmond County on the recent undercover sting on gangs.

A RANT TO ALL THESE 20- to 25-year-old females who have to be surrounded by drama at all times.

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHY the school systems continue to offer free meals to families who already receive government aid for food. It is wasted tax money usage in my opinion.

WHY SHOULD JUDGES and other county and state employees get designated parking spots? They are no better than anyone else. This is state and county property. We, the people, are the state and county.

A BIG RAVE to the joint effort to get gangs off the street, but it will never happen. As soon as they make bond, they will be back stronger than ever and smarter because of all the publicity about how they were set up and caught.

A RANT TO EVERYONE hung up on all the hullabaloo over James Brown and what to call the civic center, placement of statue, billboard, etc.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@ augustachronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 12/06/07 - 05:49 am
Rant against the 20 - 25 year

Rant against the 20 - 25 year old drama queens? Does that mean you didn't mind the first five years?

createyourfuture
createyourfuture 12/06/07 - 06:14 am
LOL It's just that in the

LOL

It's just that in the early years they are jailbait.

grammar police
grammar police 12/06/07 - 06:17 am
Try teaching children who are

Try teaching children who are neglected and hungry. The school lunch program is a blessing for those too small to fend for themselves.

redapples
redapples 12/06/07 - 06:19 am
How about a rant to all those

How about a rant to all those parents who are so good at criticizing others, but for whom a reality check of their own parenting is much needed?!

Reality
Reality 12/06/07 - 06:50 am
I think the best has got to

I think the best has got to be, people with no children, telling someone how to raise/handle their children....

SoWhat
SoWhat 12/06/07 - 07:02 am
Those hungry children that

Those hungry children that can not fend for themselves just throw that "additional free" food in the garbage. Just visit any elementary school lunchroom at breakfast time. What the heck, and stay for lunch. FREE stuff has no value to the one receiving it.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 12/06/07 - 07:03 am
I think this mornings R&R

I think this mornings R&R intelligence quotient has dropped by about 10 points. Parking, Drama Queens and school meals!
OK everybody have a Donut!

workingmom
workingmom 12/06/07 - 07:16 am
From what I have seen, the

From what I have seen, the "free lunches" aren't all that great. At least part of what is served does end up being tossed in the trash. I think some would be better off eating a PBJ with an apple. Everyone can afford that! If the government gives people money for food, could a portion of that be taken to feed their children? I would agree to having NO free lunches, but make those who truly need it pay a reduced price of....oh...say 50 cents a meal? That's a pretty good deal anywhere! On the other hand, I agree with justwondering, teaching children who are hungry is not a good thing. Been there, done that. There are children who come to school hungry, but some of the time it's because their parents do not feed them before they arrive at school and not because they can't afford it.

db16
db16 12/06/07 - 07:35 am
I am also an educator so I

I am also an educator so I have witnessed first hand the wasted food in a school lunch room...it would make most people sick to their stomachs to see their tax dollars (as in most cases) tossed in the trash and how 'free' means nothing to some of these people.

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 12/06/07 - 07:39 am
Now why would the county

Now why would the county commissioners pay our fine officers more money? That's less money they can pad their pockets with! I personally think the county commissioners should trade paychecks with the officers. They're the ones that actually earn it, deserve it and are more than worth it!

RebelTA
RebelTA 12/06/07 - 07:48 am
*Twas the month before

*Twas the month before Christmas*
*When all through our land,*
*Not a Christian was praying*
*Nor taking a stand.*
*See the PC Police had taken away,*
*The reason for Christmas - no one could say.*
*The children were told by their schools not to sing,*
*About Shepherds and Wise Men and Angels and things.*
*It might hurt people's feelings, the teachers would say*
*December 25th is just a 'Holiday'.*

*Yet the shoppers were ready with cash, checks and credit*
*Pushing folks down to the floor just to get it!*
*CDs from Madonna, an X BOX, an I-pod*
*Something was changing, something quite odd! *
*Retailers promoted Ramadan and Kwanzaa*
*In hopes to sell books by Franken & Fonda*
*As Targets were hanging their trees upside down*
*At Lowe's the word Christmas - was no where to be found.*
*At K-Mart and Staples and Penny's and Sears*
*You won't hear the word Christmas; it won't touch your ears.*

*Inclusive, sensitive, Di-ver-si-ty*
*Are words that were used to intimidate me.*
*Now Daschle, Now Darden, Now Sharpton, Wolf Blitzen, on Boxer, on Rather,
on Kerry, on Clinton!*
*At the top of the Senate, there arose such a clatter*
*To eliminate Jesus, in all public matter*
*And we spoke not a word, as they took away our faith*
*Forbidden to speak of salvation and grace*
*The true Gift of Christmas was exchanged and discarded*
*The reason for the season, stopped before it started*
*So as you celebrate 'Winter Break' under your 'Dream Treeʼ*
*Sipping your Starbucks, listen to me.*

*Choose your words carefully, choose what you say*
***Shout **MERRY CHRISTMAS***
***not Happy Holiday!***

kiseta50
kiseta50 12/06/07 - 07:50 am
Everybody is talking about

Everybody is talking about hungry children, like they are without parents, some of them are just sorry parents, used to get handouts. My father raised 4 kids alone (our mother died at 42 years old) and I don't remember ever being hungry or being evicted from our home. It was no such thing as food stamps or recuced or free lunch in school.

saintlover
saintlover 12/06/07 - 07:56 am
Thanks "tired of the whining"

Thanks "tired of the whining" I needed that!!!

getalife
getalife 12/06/07 - 08:01 am
We have created a society

We have created a society that is totally dependent on government handouts and most will do nothing to better themselves. Most of these kids that are fed the free meals have been programmed from birth that "the man" owes them a living!!

basedonmerit
basedonmerit 12/06/07 - 08:08 am
Well done Tired!!!

Well done Tired!!!

thohen
thohen 12/06/07 - 08:14 am
I don't think the

I don't think the commissioners make that much money, It may be the fringe benefits they receive by being a commissioner, but I wouldn't trade pay checks with any commissioner.

db16
db16 12/06/07 - 08:16 am
I couldn't agree with you

I couldn't agree with you more 'getalife.' it is all about finding loopholes and spending more time trying to find reasons "NOT TO DO SOMETHING" then just sucking it up and DOING IT! Something for Nothing is what it is all about now...

johnsmith
johnsmith 12/06/07 - 08:17 am
The point of the rant is

The point of the rant is pretty clear, I thought: If you are receiving WIC (free food) and AFDC (or whatever it's called now--money to raise your kids) and Food Stamps (free food), then why are we ALSO giving your kid free food at school? Didn't we already give you free food, that you simply had to put in a brown bag and send to school with your child? That is a reasonable and logical question. You can debate the merits, but some seem to suggest that one ought not ask the question. That's silly, and that's what leads us to Oakland city schools continuing the free breakfast/lunch program IN THE SUMMER ("Well, hey, those kids need to be fed in the summer, too!") We get sooooooo wound up in this idea that kids should not be "punished" for having sorry parents, that it seems like we've simply decided that parents need not accept ANY responsibility whatsoever once they put their pants back on. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 12/06/07 - 08:24 am
Hey, do y'all know where I

Hey, do y'all know where I can find a Holiday Tree? All I see is Christmas Trees for sale!

shivas
shivas 12/06/07 - 08:34 am
Such typical right-wing

Such typical right-wing rhetoric against feeding hungry children in school. This why the country has tuned you folks out.

saxrunner
saxrunner 12/06/07 - 08:35 am
About the parking......I have

About the parking......I have noticed the same thing in school parking lots....us "peon" teachers have to park in the back forty, while the media specialists, secretaries, and principals (none of which have to lug 25 pounds of ^%$# a day) get the front row...makes no sense!

peachykeen
peachykeen 12/06/07 - 08:43 am
Thanks Tired Of

Thanks Tired Of Whining......I pray blessings for you and your family this Chistmas season and always.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 12/06/07 - 08:47 am
I'm going to wish people a

I'm going to wish people a Merry Christmas were I work, and if they don't like it it's just too darn bad!

KSL
KSL 12/06/07 - 08:59 am
Shivas, why are sorry parents

Shivas, why are sorry parents supposed to be given a free pass?

neversurprised
neversurprised 12/06/07 - 09:00 am
I know you people ranting

I know you people ranting about free lunch for kids never think about is going on in the home. I know it is the parents place to get up and get their kids dressed, breakfast and off to school. In this real world we have Elem. students that get up get dressed(to the best of their ability) and get to school. IF there was no FREE BREAKFAST and Lunch these kids would be hungry all day. If parents won't get up and get the kids off to school , who is to say that they will have a meal at home. I have benn in a school system for 32 years and I know this happens!!

db16
db16 12/06/07 - 09:11 am
I agree...there is no

I agree...there is no handbook on parenting...nor do children choose who their parents are...but I do not like 'free rides.' There are too many hard working people in this world who bust their rumps every single day to make ends meet...and then you have a kid come to school dressed in $200 Nike's, wearing name brand clothes...and then they go through the line to get their FREE LUNCH! What does that say? Even worse is when that same child pulls out a $20 bill to buy the $2 powerade as an EXTRA at lunch! Too many people abusing the system...and it is MY DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!

KSL
KSL 12/06/07 - 09:13 am
Of course it happens and it

Of course it happens and it should not be allowed. Kids coming to school day after day hungry should be reported to child welfare authorities.

KingJames
KingJames 12/06/07 - 09:15 am
Some people are looking at

Some people are looking at this school lunch program in a very logical way. However, you all are forgetting that many of the parents don't think logically. Many of them are very young and don't have parenting skills, and can't manage money or prepare menus for brown bag lunches. If the program is cut then parents will need to be taught how to at least plan lunches to make the food span the course of the month. Of course, the whole thing would have to be monitored so that the children would continue to receive healthy lunches. Maybe the price of school lunch can be deducted from the other monthly entitlements. A good part of the food would still be thrown out though because kids' eating habits still won't change, no matter whose paying for their lunch. Not all people on free lunch are irresponsible, though. When I lived in Navy housing in VA, my kids were on free lunch because the school system automatically did it for military families living in government housing. I actually lost money by living in housing because I forfeited my housing allowance, which was far more than rent or a mortgage. I could have still paid for lunch, but didn't have to. I'm not sure if GA does that.

john
john 12/06/07 - 09:17 am
Hey Comrade Shivasovitch,

Hey Comrade Shivasovitch, most right wingers have no problem helping people who need some help, everyone falls on bad times, its the ones that ride the system like a pro rodeo cowboy we have a problem with.

db16
db16 12/06/07 - 09:19 am
WELL SAID JOHN...You beat me

WELL SAID JOHN...You beat me to the punch...perhaps Shiva needs to step outside the comfort of the LITTLE SECURE BOX and get in touch with reality!!!

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.