News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

THE LAKESIDE COACH said he made a mistake. It wasn't a mistake, it was plain and simple cheating.

A RAVE FOR Mary Frances Best from Harlem. She is a fantastic little girl and she is the Christian dedicated to the Lord. Not only did she win the LEGO competition, she has raised funds doing Hurricane Katrina and school packages. Just all sorts of stuff.

A RANT TO THE Board of Education. How is it right to suspend a student for three, five or 10 days for tardies? When the school is so overcrowded you can't get through the hallways. Students are standing around everywhere and its hard to get through.

A RANT FOR the welfare system here in Georgia. I work at a corner grocery. There's a lady that comes in every day and buys $20 worth of lottery tickets. She tells us that she has been on welfare for 14 years. I wish I had $20 to spend on lottery tickets. Maybe if I got on welfare I would.

A RAVE FOR Andy Cheek. I absolutely love the idea of having the water from the canal down Ellis Street. I can already imagine myself having lunch there one afternoon. So I don't know what all is involved but I certainly hope that comes to pass.

A HUGE RAVE for the loving, caring, friendly people that work at Family Physicians of Evans, Augusta Urology, Dr. Clarke's office and the University Hospital CT outpatient.

A RANT FOR THE person that wrote in that they hope people get their flu shots since they don't want to get coughed at or sneezed on. Well, I suggest you get to the store and buy you a mask because anywhere you go people are going to be coughing or sneezing.

EVERYONE STOP jumping on the young disabled veteran. I agree with him. He joined the military voluntarily to defend his country, not to defend a lie that was told by George Bush.

LAST YEAR I CALLED for not buying anything for Christmas made in China. This year I am not buying anything that is not 100 percent made in America.

A RANT TO people who have their cats declawed and then let them outside.

I WISH THAT when everybody loses a loved one that they would put the picture of the loved one in the obituary. A lot of time we recognize pictures more than names. And sometimes when people die that we know, we don't have a picture of them to see them one last time and the people that have passed away deserve to be in the paper.

SINCE THE PRICE of gas has gone up, have you noticed how many government vehicles are being used for personal use? This is a waste of tax payers' money and so unfair.

THE REPUBLICANS JUST want a level playing field. They just want to eliminate the unfair advantages of the homeless and the jobless. That's why they are pushing the fair tax and great tax bill.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 12/01/07 - 12:02 pm
PT - reread - can't

PT - reread - can't comprehend - ?? I must be missing something - sorry! :(

GR-10
GR-10 12/01/07 - 12:03 pm
fire-n-ice thanks---great

fire-n-ice thanks---great posts! Still laughing!

oth23
oth23 12/01/07 - 12:24 pm
catfish20... people are late

catfish20... people are late to school because of traffic, and there are over 1500 people in the school. At Greenbrier if you leave before the traffic starts you'll get to school at 6:15 and if u leave any later than 6:45 you'll be late. Then, you have to get through all the crowding in the hall way, and most people tend to gather right infront of the main door to the building, and the math hall, So NO ONE can get through them. have u been to one of the high schools lately?
You'd see why people are trady all the time.

dani
dani 12/01/07 - 01:39 pm
I think the system crashed

I think the system crashed yesterday. Could have been over-load. There were tons of posting regarding the death of the two children.

I just wish I could sense as much concern about the suffering of the children as I see for the "poor" mother.

Rose
Rose 12/01/07 - 01:49 pm
Right on ddawn. You are

Right on ddawn. You are right. Most are concerned for the killer. I think about how those kids suffered. It made me sick yesterday. I can see it now. 20 yrs from now, there will be no prisons, because all criminals will have had a bad childhood and problems that made them steal and kill. It is coming to that. Nevermind the victims.It seems that the victims o crimes are put on the back burner.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 12/01/07 - 02:27 pm
What lie did GW tell? Saddam

What lie did GW tell? Saddam was ducking weapons inspections for several years,GW just got tired of it and enforced the rules. I think 33 others countries did too. The UN was too weak to do it so we did. Saddams own people tried and hung him for crimes on his own people. The Clintons also fought with Saddam for 8 years before GW did, don't you remember all the shootings for Iraq planes breaking the no fly zone rules?

Rose
Rose 12/01/07 - 02:43 pm
I called Agusta Chronicle

I called Agusta Chronicle yesterday and was told that they were doing work on the website and had turned comments off, but would have it back on later. I see all past comments have been deleted or turned off.

JohnRandolphCrybabyCain
JohnRandolphCrybabyCain 12/01/07 - 02:53 pm
If traffic is the same

If traffic is the same everyday, (and for the most part it is) then it is no excuse for being late. You should leave earlier if you can't get where you are going on time.

Eric
Eric 12/01/07 - 02:53 pm
Good post Augusta Resident!

Good post Augusta Resident!

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/01/07 - 03:34 pm
Another function is still not

Another function is still not working. Still not operating correctly.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/01/07 - 03:37 pm
Crybaby, it sounds to me like

Crybaby, it sounds to me like there is a bottleneck of some type. Everybody can't drive in there at once. Something like the three stooges all trying to get through a standard size door at the same time. Tends to make you late. And you're not supposed to arrive before a certain time or you wind up in trouble for that, too. Planning oversight?

JohnRandolphCrybabyCain
JohnRandolphCrybabyCain 12/01/07 - 04:02 pm
I suppose baroness, but when

I suppose baroness, but when I went to high school there were over 1500 just in the freshman class and I managed to get to school on time. I think the biggest problem is the number of parents driving their kids to school vice using the bus. Although with the lack of discipline on the bus, who can blame them.

teabag1963
teabag1963 12/01/07 - 04:07 pm
hello folks, know who i am?

hello folks, know who i am? no you don't.listen to charlieyonce.remember evil triumphs when good men and women do NOTHING.i'll be around.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/01/07 - 04:48 pm
I agree with you there

I agree with you there crybaby.

jack
jack 12/01/07 - 05:29 pm
Another idiot claiming GW

Another idiot claiming GW Bush "lied" to get us into the war. I again ask, as I have of others, to show us ANY credible court or agency that has proven GW Bush lied about anything.

jack
jack 12/01/07 - 05:35 pm
EdithPiaf, that is MY and

EdithPiaf, that is MY and YOUR money the woman is spending on lottery tickets. Who the hell do you think pays her welfare funds?

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 12/01/07 - 07:19 pm
It doesn't matter. How would

It doesn't matter. How would you like your EMPLOYER to tell you how to spend your money? I pay my taxes and go on about my business. I wish I could do something about the billions of dollars they spend on taxes in other areas more so than welfare. A billion dollars to send a rocket into space could be used here on Earth. Meanwhile you worry about a woman spending $20 on lottery. That is not MY money or YOUR money. It was your money before you paid taxes. Now it's hers. Control issues I tell ya.

gsmartinez
gsmartinez 12/01/07 - 07:24 pm
This is about people who have

This is about people who have committed a felony, have served their time in prison, got out and now they can't find a job. NO ONE WILL HIRE THEM! I know it's their own fault they are in this sitution, but how can they support themselves if they are unemployed? How do you think they can pay probation fines? I know someone who has applied for jobs for six months now with no luck. Won't someone give them a chance?

JohnRandolphCrybabyCain
JohnRandolphCrybabyCain 12/01/07 - 09:13 pm
EdithPiaf, before you

EdithPiaf, before you criticize the space program, try not using any of the technology that uses that technology.. Hmmmm...control issues..such as the Clinton's trying to control how many rounds my rifle holds, or weather or not it has a bayonette?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/01/07 - 09:48 pm
hey teabag1963. You're

hey teabag1963. You're right, about that: "...evil triumphs when good men and women do NOTHING." You reading my mind? If so, ready for a tea party? Will Strom Thurmond lake (more affectionately known as Clark Hill Dam) do instead of Boston Harbor?

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 12/01/07 - 10:01 pm
Try applying at the municipal

Try applying at the municipal building to work for the city. Wasn't one felon hired there? Wasn't she doing some creative accounting for the landfill? But a homemaker who stayed home to raise her family and manage a household? Got nothing for her yet. No record, a degree, volunteer in the schools from her children's pre-K days until their senior high, kept her typing skills up enough (55-60 wpm). Can't get her foot in the door. She won't give up though; doesn't have to be a job with the city. Hopes to find something that won't destroy her family life and shake up her household obligations. Tricky.

kiseta50
kiseta50 12/01/07 - 10:18 pm
Hey, Patricia, do you have

Hey, Patricia, do you have life away from this, I have noticed your rant early in the morning, like you can hardly wait to get on. I am a conservative to, and I can see how the liberals can't take it.
About the Chinise toys, refuse to buy this year. Bake cookies, make something for your kids, spend time with them, read and play with them, I bet you would be supprised that they would like it. We use to decorate our tree with candies, cookies and walnuts, and after the New Years, we would eat all the decorations. The tree was real, so that did not come from China. Do you ever resent the fact that all our Christmus stuff are made by Communists, and they just laughf at us that we spent so much money and keep them in power to abuse the people in China.I dream of the day that we will all go back to the old fashiond Christmus, have a nice tree, make the best meal in the year, invite people that do not have families, GO TO CHURCH, and most of all count our blessings.

Property tax increase OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.