Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

RANTS TO THE Democrats for not backing our country.

TO THE PARENT who complained about the Columbia County school fundraisers, I'd like to say hush! First of all, participating is optional. Secondly, the money goes to help your child. Finally, since you seem so interested in your child's education, why don't you do something constructive like volunteer instead of writing ignorant rants to the paper?

REMEMBERING THE LATE Ed Cashin, please be sure to note that he was one of the rare local historians to publish anything on local (black) history, most notably the book on Springfield Baptist Church. Among his numerous awards and citations was The Lucy Craft Laney Historian's Award in 2004.

TO THE PERSON who asked why Cubans and Puerto Ricans display their flags in their vehicles, the answer is simple. Some of us served in the military for many years defending Old Glory, and in doing so, gained the right to display ours.

WHY DO WE need another canal? We already have one - use it!

A RAVE FOR the nice lady who drives No. 702 for the Columbia County Sheriff's Department. She really is a nice person. I had trouble with my vehicle and she stayed with me until I got help. Thank you again, No. 702.

If you have an opinion you want to share, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/25/07 - 04:36 am
Don't rant the democrats.

Don't rant the democrats. Since they turned over the control of their party to the FAR left, it's their job to replace our country with some weird socialist European entity. It's obviously what the voter wants too.

bone
bone 09/25/07 - 05:07 am
that's right, pt: the liberal

that's right, pt: the liberal revolution is coming. our gov't will be transformed into a giant caretaking operation for everyone. no one will be denied assistance for any reason and we'll all have more vacation time, a 35 hour work week, and stronger immigration laws - just like France!

sTiCkMaN
sTiCkMaN 09/25/07 - 06:26 am
your right about the

your right about the caretaking operation, bone. i was at the grocery store yesterday and the person infront of me was buying steaks, shrimp, etc. and they were paying with food stamps, but they were dressed in expensive name brand clothe and driving a Cadillac escalade. sign me up for that!

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 09/25/07 - 06:45 am
Bone--LOL You mean like

Bone--LOL You mean like China! France has a severe handicap with employment right now.

Inkjet
Inkjet 09/25/07 - 06:49 am
This happens to be a military

This happens to be a military town, and people from different backgrounds live and work here and serve the military, that's why people display those different flags. No one is asking you why you display your particular flag.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 09/25/07 - 07:24 am
I thought people could buy

I thought people could buy any kind of food they want with their food stamps. What should they buy? I had this same issue a while back when some idiot made a comment about me carrying a Dooney & Bourke purse and spending food stamps while they were in line behind me. I'll tell you the same thing I told them, "they aren't my food stamps." I go shopping for elderly people who can't shop for themselves, maybe this person you saw was doing the same thing. Stop pre-judging people and look beyond your negative thoughts.

SFCnotretyet
SFCnotretyet 09/25/07 - 07:44 am
About the school system and

About the school system and money; My son just started kindergarten, and every week they are asking for money for some kind of activity or t-shirt, etc... It doesn't bother me, but I feel sorry for those who can't afford it. Not only are they financially burdened, but now their child is an outcast at school, because his/her family can't afford all the B.S.

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 09/25/07 - 07:49 am
Too many people take

Too many people take advantage of the system! That's why you would get comments like that. I am sure other's would be thinking the same thing.It happens more often then not,people cry poor and get all kind of hand-outs,Instead of standing on their own two feet. And I'm not talking about the elderly they deserve help.

senior.23
senior.23 09/25/07 - 07:51 am
Free the Hephzibah 5. Free

Free the Hephzibah 5. Free the Hephzibah 5.

SilentJ
SilentJ 09/25/07 - 08:09 am
Double D I fee l your pain!My

Double D I fee l your pain!My childs school starts asking for money the first week of school as well I think it's rediculas!Last year at field day the kids shirts were 9.00 well I attended field day and lots of those kids were not wearing the school spirit shirts its was sad.Not to mention the kids that have to stay behind at school while the rest of the kids are going on field trips.When my son had a field trip I try to send a little extra money to help out one of those kids that might not be able to attend because their parents either just dont give a crap or just cant afford it.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 09/25/07 - 08:12 am
And people with nice cars and

And people with nice cars and nice clothes fall on hard times as well. What are they supposed to do, start looking like garbage so they can look like they need foodstamps. They lose jobs or income and maybe that's their only option temporarily. I don't judge people by the way they look or what they have. I judge them based on their character and how they carry themselves. Maybe if more people would do that then they can get their own life in order.

NANF
NANF 09/25/07 - 08:14 am
You have a RIGHT to display

You have a RIGHT to display your countrys flag. DO IT!! You will find that people from this area do not now and never have accepted people that "ain't from around here". This area is stuck in the past. More so, the counties close around Richmond.Most don't even know(or care ) that men from Puerto Rico and Cuba ( oh, where's that ? )fought FOR us to have the life that we have. Fly your flag and know that some of us DO appreciate you.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 09/25/07 - 08:26 am
car 702 where are you? wait

car 702 where are you? wait is that car 54?

mojoinaugusta
mojoinaugusta 09/25/07 - 08:41 am
To the parents complaining

To the parents complaining about school fund raisers - check your tax bills - then go look at what your county spends per student each year - the number will shock you - the idea that you don't have to write checks until the kids go to college is wishful thinking.

Lucy123
Lucy123 09/25/07 - 08:43 am
Most teachers I know pay

Most teachers I know pay field trip money for kids who can't afford it out of their own pockets, as well as pay for pencils, paper, and other supplies the kids need.

Fire n Ice
Fire n Ice 09/25/07 - 09:01 am
Car 54 - Officers Toody and

Car 54 - Officers Toody and Muldoon!

swolf612000
swolf612000 09/25/07 - 09:04 am
I live in Columbia, but here,

I live in Columbia, but here, the fundraisers are run by the PTA, and all money goes to funding field trips for all the classes. No one has to pay any extra, and last year every class in my daughter's elementary school got 2 field trips. This was from 2 fundraisers and a fall carnival. Maybe the schools there should do like we do and have PTA meetings specifically to discuss the fundraiser, what percentage of each dollar goes to the school, and what the money is funding.

Reality
Reality 09/25/07 - 09:12 am
I guess you can't complain

I guess you can't complain about what the food stamps(debit cards) buy, these people know how to work the system...This is the reason why the Social Security Admin is always broke, paying benefits for the fake injury and non working citizens.

223299 09/25/07 - 09:27 am
Senior@23, I'm interested to

Senior@23, I'm interested to know what the Hephzibah 5 is.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 09/25/07 - 09:30 am
So true...so true, Honest!

So true...so true, Honest!

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 09/25/07 - 09:31 am
Double D: how did you get

Double D: how did you get your screenname?

imdstuf
imdstuf 09/25/07 - 09:31 am
How about our conservative

How about our conservative government wasting our tax dollars tryining to shut down an adult video store that was legally within their rights? Is that any better than assisting those in need (yes, people take advantage of the system...we do not need to cut everyone off, just need better checks and balances to figue out who is in need and to limit the amount of relief).

misscj0123
misscj0123 09/25/07 - 09:35 am
How do you "fake" an injury?

How do you "fake" an injury? Don't you have to see a doctor before you can get benefits for that?

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 09/25/07 - 09:36 am
misscj I thinnk they are

misscj I thinnk they are talking about workers copm issues and faking say a back injury they are easy to fake and pay well b/c you can "claim" that you cant work or do much of anything, but sometimes the company will hire a PI and bust them

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/25/07 - 09:37 am
I have a novel idea. Let's

I have a novel idea. Let's reward the kids. Set up a book reading reward program for the kids. Let's say your kid is in the second grade in Mrs. Smith's class and they want to go on a field trip, but the school doesn't have the budget. Instead of throwing money at it, make the kids earn it by having to read so many books, each child having to participate. The kids that participate get to go. Parents that can help agree to sponsor based on the number of books read. Kids with verified ld's are given exceptions. This way, the kids are involved and feel like they've accomplished something and the parents may not feel like they are being robbed. Just a thought.

froggygirl
froggygirl 09/25/07 - 09:42 am
to the ones complaining about

to the ones complaining about school fundraisersand field trips. what we pay here is nothing. i come from the north and there you have to pay book rental fees. it would cost me $300 to $400 to register my 3 kids in school every year and then they still did fundraisers and charged for field trips.living here in columbia county for the past 9 years has definitly saved me alot of money

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 09/25/07 - 09:45 am
I have an idea, if little

I have an idea, if little Johnny gets out of line, the teacher should be able to taser him. That would really control school discipline problems. I bet he would think twice before mouthing off to Mrs. Duganhowser.

Reality
Reality 09/25/07 - 09:53 am
You can't prove a lot of back

You can't prove a lot of back injuries, knee injuries or whiplash for example. I am not sure of all of the scams, as I work for a living and pay my taxes. So these free loaders can enjoy them selves and have more kids they can't pay for or raise.

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/25/07 - 10:05 am
NOT that I ever so much as

NOT that I ever so much as threw a rock at a school bus when I was a kid, but I was under the 2 time corporal punishment system. First, when I got caught acting out at school, the principal, one Mr. Sammy Lee the principal extraordinaire would whup me righteously at school. But that was the tip of the iceberg. When I would get home, it was a dreaded wait for my father to get home. He'd come in, listen to my reasoning of why I thought it was proper to try to kiss Cordie Mae Peavy in English class and then, only then would he proceed to unleash "the black snake" across my behind. That would serve a a great deterrent, until Cordie Mae would make eyes at me again. Then I'd think to myself, well I can stand two more whuppings for her...

misscj0123
misscj0123 09/25/07 - 10:08 am
That was cute knowsbetter.

That was cute knowsbetter. As for you Crab.. I did not know you were into tasers.

Commissioners seek attorney general's opinion on SPLOST

Two Augusta commissioners are seeking an opinion from Georgia Attorney General Sam Olens on the city's disbursement of sales tax proceeds to non-profits.