Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

I DIDN'T THINK I would live long enough to see a president dumber than Jimmy Carter but I did.

BILL CLINTON STATED that Hillary should be president because half the world is mad at the U.S. I wonder if that is the half we support with our food and money, or the half we protect with our blood and troops?

A RANT TO jail. My boyfriend has been in there for 15 months now awaiting to go to court. We haven't heard anything about a court date or even heard from his lawyer in months.

A RAVE FOR the Monday business section. I just love it.

A RANT FOR North Augusta High School. The girls' bathrooms are dark and dirty.

A RAVE FOR Judge Overstreet. Thank you very much for giving my grandson his life back.

THE HIGH-TECH lynching of Dave Barbee shows how ignorant the leaders of Augusta are.

I LOVE BILL KIRBY'S article. I would quit taking the paper if it leaves the paper.

RANT TO Bill Kirby about the postcards. The only people who care about reading that is the people who write them and their relatives.

A RAVE FOR the south Augusta fire department for answering my call so quickly in a lighting strike that caused a fire close to our home. Keep up the good work.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

dani
dani 09/24/07 - 11:35 am
sandyj..If one has a

sandyj..If one has a long-term boyfriend rather than a husband they can get more free services. That is the major reason for so many "single" moms.

buddydawg
buddydawg 09/24/07 - 11:37 am
LOL Country Place can't be as

LOL Country Place can't be as bad as Spring Lakes. Now that I think about it we are on the back side of Spring Lakes so you probably have a good point. I am sure they are behind it. They aren't on our street yet but give it a day or two.

misscj0123
misscj0123 09/24/07 - 11:37 am
What kind of services?

What kind of services?

whiteboardcrayon
whiteboardcrayon 09/24/07 - 11:41 am

Thank God we don't have that problem in highgrove. Although we do have quite a few kids out... Oh well, I guess we are next!

dani
dani 09/24/07 - 11:43 am
As stated above, services

As stated above, services that are free. Whatever the taxpayers give you.

kiddspur
kiddspur 09/24/07 - 11:44 am
misscj -- Better clearify

misscj -- Better clearify what service you are looking for or else you might get some weird suggestions!!!!!

kiddspur
kiddspur 09/24/07 - 11:50 am
[filtered word] -- my daddy used to

[filtered word] -- my daddy used to ask me had I rather be [filtered word] off or [filtered word] on????

buddydawg
buddydawg 09/24/07 - 11:51 am
Highgrove has traffic circles

Highgrove has traffic circles and it is pretty quiet over there. Plus I think the kids know how to get out of the middle of the road.

buddydawg
buddydawg 09/24/07 - 11:53 am
So I just read the handbook

So I just read the handbook that Columbia County has on speed humps and basically one person can complain and you get one put in but no one can have them taken out or stopped from being put in. Figures!

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 09/24/07 - 12:12 pm
violence is violence.

violence is violence. someone should be punished for physically hurting another person. no matter what the situation was. how bad the boy was hurt. yada yada yada...... 6 boys jumped on one boy. that is beyond violence. maybe he was only in the ER for 3 hours... but that doesnt mean they werent trying to hurt him worse than they were.... and ive seen a lot of other stupid things used as weapons than a sneaker. and i've heard stories of people killing other people with their bare hands... is that not murder? or attempted murder? 6 boys jumping on one were not just trying to give him a black eye... they were looking to do some damage... and anyone who thinks otherwise needs a reality check.

sandyjay
sandyjay 09/24/07 - 12:23 pm
well, actually, the services

well, actually, the services are not quite free... it's just not the recipient that has the "pleasure" to pay for them. I am too a single mom, and I pride myself on NOT receiving public assistance in any shape or form. Rather, I work and had enough sense to make sure to not let a no-job-having, bound-for-jail, parolee knock me up. I struggle to make ends meet sometimes, and I'm fed up paying for people that don't step up to their responsibilities. Jail's boyfriend, for example, has a wife and a son, who, by the way is "disabled" (the wife), or so the Social Security Office believes, lives off foodstamps, and does not have to pay rent or child care (no job, why do we pay for child care???), but yet has two cars in the drive-way. That's the reason why "girlfriend" won't find out anything as far as the case goes. She comes in handy though, when it comes to other "jobs" the wife should be responsible for. Just wanted to let her know, since she really doesn't get it. The only thing that makes me feel good is knowing that, since "girlfriend" gets foodstamps, at least her children won't have to starve because "mom" is trying to take care of her man, that's being treated "so unfairly" by

sandyjay
sandyjay 09/24/07 - 12:26 pm
the justice system. As it was

the justice system. As it was mentioned above, lots of people don't get married because they don't want to lose the public assistance, but they usually still consider themselves husband and wife. So the fact that she calls him her "boyfriend", speaks for itself.

johnsmith
johnsmith 09/24/07 - 12:29 pm
anybody see the "bizarre

anybody see the "bizarre news" today? i like the expensive "desert" ... seems like the Sahara might make that list. not sure why they then start talking about some overpriced _dessert_, but...

johnsmith
johnsmith 09/24/07 - 12:33 pm
sandy...you sure know a lot

sandy...you sure know a lot about this other lady's situation...whew...

sandyjay
sandyjay 09/24/07 - 12:40 pm
I sure do

I sure do

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 09/24/07 - 12:46 pm
speedie humps rock! they get

speedie humps rock! they get me through my day..

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 09/24/07 - 12:48 pm
my friend has a "speed hump"

my friend has a "speed hump" and "slippery when wet" sign above his bed

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 09/24/07 - 12:49 pm
Hey, Walkedit...Is this the

Hey, Walkedit...Is this the same crazy woman who keeps sending you the Certified Letters?? I'll trade you the psycho witch who lives across the street from me. I catch her plundering thru my yard once a month. So far I've lost a brand new pair of hedge shears and a rake. Tried to get my ladder but it was chained to my greenhouse. Last year she stole the hanging basket from my front porch. She was dumb enough to leave my basket outside overnight on her front porch...I took it back two days later and wired it so she'd have to tear it up to take it again. My property is not Walmart!

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 09/24/07 - 12:53 pm
lol playa that is funny, I

lol playa that is funny, I could go somewhere with that but I will be good.

misscj0123
misscj0123 09/24/07 - 12:54 pm
Donuts anyone? Even the

Donuts anyone? Even the senior citizens in New York want their donuts!!! http://ap.augustachronicle.com/pstories/health/20070923/202187500.shtml

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 09/24/07 - 12:54 pm
You know....I don't think

You know....I don't think I've ever heard of someone being arrested for refusing medical care. When did they pass that law?
I was recently in an accident and the officer called an ambulance for me. I refused....but I sure wasn't arrested for refusing.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 09/24/07 - 12:57 pm
I had this girl tell me once,

I had this girl tell me once, "take me drunk, im home" and once when I was pulled over, I stated " hi problem, what seems to be the officer"

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 09/24/07 - 12:57 pm
yea maybe we should leave it

yea maybe we should leave it alone crab! haha

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 09/24/07 - 12:59 pm
i always say "bad cop! no

i always say "bad cop! no donut!"

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 09/24/07 - 01:10 pm
Hey AugustaMom, we must have

Hey AugustaMom, we must have been neighbors before I got the h*ck out of Dodge. Our local psychotic had the audacity to steal stuff from our yard sale, come back and tell me my kids had overcharged her for the item. Then she told all the neighbors that all the OTHER neighbors (including me) were crazy, to turn people against each other. I guess she thought that would leave her with all the extras to beg, borrow or steal. She didn't know that some of us had been knowing each other for decades and knew she was lying. She would ask for food and if you gave her some, she'd beg for more. I let her borrow my earrings once and she asked me if she could have them after she borrowed them, I said I couldn't because they were my grandmother's. I turned my back, by the time I turned back around she had smashed one of them underfoot. I won't repeat the other stuff I've reported, but her children told me they had moved 10 times that they could remember and have moved at least two more times since they finally left our block. Her husband divorced her after he was busted for cocaine possession. He got tired of her beating & cutting him. Don't get me started on their "friends"/customers

Jillian
Jillian 09/24/07 - 01:12 pm
ok is it time to worry if

ok is it time to worry if your husband comes to bed wearin a t-shirt that says, 'Don't sweat the small stuff?" lol

misscj0123
misscj0123 09/24/07 - 01:14 pm
Is that what your husband did

Is that what your husband did Jillian?

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 09/24/07 - 01:15 pm
Jillian lol I spit Coke on my

Jillian lol I spit Coke on my keyboard lol lol

PlayaFace
PlayaFace 09/24/07 - 01:23 pm
hahahahahahhahahaha

hahahahahahhahahaha

Rose
Rose 09/24/07 - 01:24 pm
I have a friend whose

I have a friend whose neighbor kept coming over wanting to borrow things and wanting medications. One day my friend forgot to lock her door, and the neighbor walked in.She got real close to my friend's purse like she wanted to steal. My friend has not let her inside anymore. She put up no trespassing signs. The woman has kids, and strange oders come from their house at night. I told my friend she needs to reort them. There is no telling what that smell is.