Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

I DIDN'T THINK I would live long enough to see a president dumber than Jimmy Carter but I did.

BILL CLINTON STATED that Hillary should be president because half the world is mad at the U.S. I wonder if that is the half we support with our food and money, or the half we protect with our blood and troops?

A RANT TO jail. My boyfriend has been in there for 15 months now awaiting to go to court. We haven't heard anything about a court date or even heard from his lawyer in months.

A RAVE FOR the Monday business section. I just love it.

A RANT FOR North Augusta High School. The girls' bathrooms are dark and dirty.

A RAVE FOR Judge Overstreet. Thank you very much for giving my grandson his life back.

THE HIGH-TECH lynching of Dave Barbee shows how ignorant the leaders of Augusta are.

I LOVE BILL KIRBY'S article. I would quit taking the paper if it leaves the paper.

RANT TO Bill Kirby about the postcards. The only people who care about reading that is the people who write them and their relatives.

A RAVE FOR the south Augusta fire department for answering my call so quickly in a lighting strike that caused a fire close to our home. Keep up the good work.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/24/07 - 08:55 am
rsr---see the cutoff for the

rsr---see the cutoff for the strike??

brownskin30434
brownskin30434 09/24/07 - 09:02 am
The mindset of most people is

The mindset of most people is that the Jena 6 should be punished for there crime, not allowed to go free. The punishement should however fit the crime. Consider this: In Bunkie, LA, two white boys beat another white boy so severely that the young man spent 2 days in intensive care. As a result of his beating he suffered from bleeding and swelling in the brain. His assailants were charged with a misdemeanor and put on probation. Justin Barker spent 3 hours in the ER and then attended a function at school later that night. 3 hours in the ER is not an incredibly long time, anyone whose been to an ER knows that. Why such drastic difference in charges and punishment. Both these incidents happened in LA.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 09/24/07 - 09:03 am
Seems PAW, is loaded with

Seems PAW, is loaded with chains as his ancestors were. Only theirs were wrongfully put there by others and his are self adorned. Thiers were iron, though and he wears two sets.. one of ignorance and one of stupidity!

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 09/24/07 - 09:08 am
One thing is for sure about

One thing is for sure about the Jena6. If Sharpton and Jackson are wrong they will NEVER retract anything they say during the course of events. THAT IS A FACT!!!

EnoughAlready
EnoughAlready 09/24/07 - 09:10 am
In regards to the rant about

In regards to the rant about your boyfriend being in jail for 15 months thus far... maybe he shouldn't have broken the law to begin with. Then you wouldn't even be writing this rant. And it's not the jail; you should be pointing fingers at your lawyer who won't cal you back.

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/24/07 - 09:12 am
grace--6 on 1. 6 people

grace--6 on 1. 6 people versus 1. They continued to beat the kid after he was unconscious. That, in and of itself, is attempted murder. We can do this all day if you want to. Do I want to see those 6 boys spend the rest of their lives in jail? No. But do I believe they should walk away unpunished? No. They stomped and kicked another human. Now, people are rushing to defend them ONLY because they are black. No other reason. Black people in this case are preaching about justice and equality. Where is the equality? Get the blinders off and play fair. If the situation were reversed, the same black people would be screaming for the death penalty. I continue to argue this point solely because I will not let this become a onesided viewpoint.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 09/24/07 - 09:26 am
knowsbetter, I had the same

knowsbetter, I had the same thing happen to me in Kroger, I wanted a pound of ham and they gave me .9993 lbs instead. Wheres my .0007 lbs?

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 09/24/07 - 09:27 am
misscj Hillary scares me to

misscj Hillary scares me to death!

johnsmith
johnsmith 09/24/07 - 09:29 am
Not one of the "Jena 6" is

Not one of the "Jena 6" is currently charged with attempted murder. All of their charges have been reduced. You all keep &^&*('ing and moaning over charges that are not being brought. One defendant has won his appeal, alleging that he should not be charged as an adult. So far, the "Jena 6" are having it all their way, so those who are complaining that they're being prosecuted too aggressively should hold their tongues--the system is already doing what you are DEMANDING AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS. Doesn't matter, of course...you don't want their charges reduced, you want a podium, a microphone and some cameras. Enjoy. Meanwhile, if it had been 6 white boys and one black, what're the odds we'd be talking about their prosecution for "hate crimes"? Why are we not talking about "hate crimes" here? Obvious answer: because hate crimes legislation are an Orwellian attempt to "balance the scales," even tho' that's not possible. Read Thomas Sowell's _Quest for Cosmic Justice_ on this topic.

change display name
change display name 09/24/07 - 09:31 am
The boyfriend who is in jail

The boyfriend who is in jail probably has a public defender. If he wasn't an unemployed punk, he wouldn't be in there for that long. Bail bondsmen come to the jail every day. Too bad you can't pay them with food stamps.

brownskin30434
brownskin30434 09/24/07 - 09:34 am
knowsbetter: Not saying that

knowsbetter: Not saying that boys should not go unpunished. I, too, feel that they should learn that there are consequences for their actions. Louisiana law says a weapon has to be used to constitute attempted murder. Their weapon - a sneaker. What most people here in LA are asking for is punishment for all involved. Real punishment for the young men who hung the nooses, for the young man who pulled the gun at the convenience store and for the Jena 6. There was enough bad behavior on several fronts. You didn't comment on the second part of my post, the one about the kids from Bunkie. I'm curious to know how you feel about that incident and the subsequent charge and punishment for those two boys compared to that of the Jena 6.

mojoinaugusta
mojoinaugusta 09/24/07 - 09:38 am
Does Louisiana law really say

Does Louisiana law really say you can't charge attempted murder without a weapon? Now that's smart - powerful legal minds must have been working overtime on this one.

jack
jack 09/24/07 - 09:42 am
For the person who had a

For the person who had a friend jailed for six months only to find he was wrongfully arrested. He has the right to sue the city or county that jailed him for false imprisonment.

jack
jack 09/24/07 - 09:44 am
PAW, jail the Jena 6 for

PAW, jail the Jena 6 for being the thugs they are. The hate law should be applied in this case as the white kid had nothing to do with the noose incident. For the white kis who hung those nooses, expel them.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 09/24/07 - 09:49 am
I am in agreement with all of

I am in agreement with all of the comments today. Today they actually make sense.. Good job!!

knows better
knows better 09/24/07 - 09:50 am
I don't know about the bunkie

I don't know about the bunkie case a bit. I think all the kids should be punished. The boys that hung the noose should be punished, that was an ignorant act. I believe they should be charged with inciting a riot. The shotgun incident should be punished as such. In incidents like this, it should be stopped before it gets out of control. Small towns have a way of taking justice into their own hands and that means adults acting like kids. Jesse and Al will incite actions by others and fly away when the cameras are gone. BTW, this is my sn when I'm at work.

rjay
rjay 09/24/07 - 09:53 am
to the person who's boyfriend

to the person who's boyfriend is in jail,God i hope you have lots of children so your boyfriend can be an inspiration to them . They need a role model to look up to because i'm sure he has lived the most perfect life and is in jail because of a bad mistake. maybe you will have a great law suit so you want need the states help anymore.

misscj0123
misscj0123 09/24/07 - 10:02 am
Just curious, how can one

Just curious, how can one agree with all the comments when there are different views on the same topic?

t of i
t of i 09/24/07 - 10:11 am
Grace, are you saying that in

Grace, are you saying that in LA someone can attempt to choke another to death and not be charged with attempted murder? Or are the hands the weapon?

dani
dani 09/24/07 - 10:29 am
vision--those were not

vision--those were not "ladies" fighting in the street. I think you could have found a more apt name.

sandyjay
sandyjay 09/24/07 - 10:31 am
to jail: if you would do your

to jail: if you would do your job as the "girlfriend"(I can't believe that a simple girlfriend would stick around that long...a wife or a fiance, maybe), then you would call the public defender's office, the DA, write some letters, etc. and see what's going. They will give you all the info that you need, unless, of course, he already has someone that takes care of everything (a wife, maybe, or a fiance). Bet you don't get any visitation, do you? Girlfriend, wake up and smell the coffee! He's still sitting in jail, because he's on parole, that makes him a repeat offender, and he's using you to get $$$ for candy and sodas (reminder: he DOES get 3 free meals a day), and I don't even wanna know how much money BEALLS is making off of you for phonecalls. Obviously your friend got plenty of "game", and you're the dummy that fell for it... not very street-smart. P.S.: tell Mango I said what's up. And I REALLY don't apprechiate him calling my house 24/7. I know his brother is paying for the 3-ways, but I have a life and no time for small-time drug dealers.

charles yonce
charles yonce 09/24/07 - 10:33 am
to the one ranting about

to the one ranting about jimmy carter, why don't you challenge him to a public debate? so he can make a fool out of you.dumb is your buffoon president who can't say 10 words without index cards.did anyone see hillary on meet the press? did she speak well or not? did she read anything? no! she is intelligent,and it shows! to the girl waiting on her boyfriend to go to court, this would be a good time for you to drop the zero and find a hero.you'll spend most of your time in jail waiting rooms and courthouses, run while you can.if he cared about you he would straighten up, not be an embarrassment to all those around him.

dani
dani 09/24/07 - 10:36 am
Hillary graced the tv

Hillary graced the tv audience with 5 different appearances Sun AM. In all 5 she made the same speeches and never answered a direct question. She is a snob of the highest order and any poor person that believes that she is looking out for any one other than Hillary had best grow up and fast!
This is the woman who took furniture from the White House for her N.Y. mansion. (i know..she was made to return it)

dani
dani 09/24/07 - 10:38 am
To the person that didn't

To the person that didn't think they would live to see a president dumber than Jimmy Carter, remember "it ain't over til it's over". The 2008 election is close at hand.

whiteboardcrayon
whiteboardcrayon 09/24/07 - 10:55 am
Rockman the noose idea

Rockman the noose idea wouldn't work unless you were black...

kiddspur
kiddspur 09/24/07 - 10:56 am
If Billy Boy is correct that

If Billy Boy is correct that half of the world hates us and the other half loves us -- add them to gether and that means we got a hundred percent of support one way or the other!!!!!

kiddspur
kiddspur 09/24/07 - 11:12 am
Jillian had to cut the donut

Jillian had to cut the donut budget -- they were too hard on the old folks and their sugar!!!!!

mojoinaugusta
mojoinaugusta 09/24/07 - 11:17 am
popkorn - I see you changed

popkorn - I see you changed your mind on Hillary - What did you do with the diaper?

buddydawg
buddydawg 09/24/07 - 11:22 am
Columbia County adds another

Columbia County adds another SPEED HUMP! Please tell me who came up with this idea. They need to be shot!

walkedit
walkedit 09/24/07 - 11:30 am
In a few years they'll have a

In a few years they'll have a reason to tear them out. They are going to tear up some cars. Why can't people keep their kids out of the road. And, through Camelot? I never see kids in that road. The request was probably from the HOA in Country Place that has nothing better to do than sit around thinking up projects while the rest of us WORK. They like stirring things up when they should have no involvement.