Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

MARION WILLIAMS: Bourgeoisied?!? I have no idea what this means (or what he meant) but it surely made me laugh!

IF OUR NATION is worried about obese children, then why are school lunchrooms selling ice cream every day?

SHOW ME A YOUNG WOMAN driving an SUV, and I will show you a woman driving and yappin' on her cell phone.

HERE'S A SUGGESTION for a new name for your Rants & Raves column. It should be called "Asininities". Every day they get sillier and sillier. Maybe you could have two columns. One for the stupid, silly things and one for the serious, thought-provoking issues that give evidence that there is truly intelligent life forms in the CSRA area.

A RANT TO HOW a Petersburg boat will look with a garbage truck mounted on top as it slows down the new Ellis Street canal. And also, how tall will all the bridges have to be on the cross streets for the length of the new canal?

A RAVE FOR the canal on Ellis Street. I've been to San Antonio and it's a great thing.

AND THE OSCAR goes to: Michael Vick.

THEY SHOULD POUR gravy on Vick and put him in a cell with two rotts. What's good for the goose ...

THIS AREA IS IN serious need of better drivers training. Bubba teaching Bubba just isn't working.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING as an illegitimate child, only a fatherless child or a motherless child.

HEY, WOODY MERRY, I live in south Augusta, and I sure hope you run for office and give them something to think about.

TO THE PEOPLE whining about trees being cut down on Bobby Jones: Stop crying! How is Augusta supposed to flourish if we don't make the necessary changes?

LET'S SEE ... kill a few dogs and get 18-24 months in jail. Kill a few unborn babies and earn $180,000 to $240,000 a year. Something is wrong here.

BIG RAVE to Mayor Deke in leading the way to common sense help. Thanks for giving up the choice parking spot for someone who better needs to park closer to the door.

EDITORIAL FROM The Seattle Times talks about AIDS research as "exciting times" and "exhilaration." What's exciting or exhilarating about AIDS?

COULD ANYONE PLEASE explain what it signifies when a young male runs around in public with half of his underwear exposed above his trousers? Is he doing this to tease young women or what? And it doesn't seem to bother him at all when he is constantly trying to pull his trousers up.

RAVE ... I, too, was lucky to have been referred to Dr. Michael MacFee ... I'd like to add three more of Augusta's caring physicians ... Dr. Kelly Norman, Dr. Kathy Chance and Dr. Stanley Smith. These four are tops along with their very caring staffs.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/16/07 - 03:53 am
Saggin' as a tease? Oh yeah,

Saggin' as a tease? Oh yeah, buttcrack really turns me on.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 09/16/07 - 05:03 am
I saw something on the news

I saw something on the news the other morning where they are supposed to be "representing" when saggin because saggin spelled backwards is "what they is"... OMG how STUPID!!!!

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 09/16/07 - 05:04 am
About the obese children

About the obese children rant- - - how can ice cream at school make that much of a difference when they are getting fed Big Macs at home 3 times a day?

pofwe
pofwe 09/16/07 - 05:35 am
These youngin's that wear

These youngin's that wear their trousers without a belt don't realize that this "fad" stems from male prisoners signaling others that they are ready to engage in same-sex activity. So if you see them in that fashion on the street be aware that it is either a practicing homosexual or a fool that has no idea what he is representing. Google this subject if you think I'm wrong.

NEone
NEone 09/16/07 - 06:03 am
Does the ranter think that no

Does the ranter think that no one should get ice cream because some children are fat? How about a little self control? Don't punish the masses because of a few.

myobgdi
myobgdi 09/16/07 - 07:00 am
"AIDS research as "exciting

"AIDS research as "exciting times" and "exhilaration." What's exciting or exhilarating about AIDS?" IT"S THE AIDS RESEARCH. Learning to control or defeat a virus IS exciting and exhilarating. If we can learn to control a virus, a lot of people will benefit, but just those with AIDS.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 09/16/07 - 07:06 am
There was a time when I would

There was a time when I would eat nothing but ice cream at school (5 ice cream sandwiches and a coke) I weighed 138 pounds. Part of the secret was we had things to do after school, physical education in school and there were no videos or video games. Another thing, the only ony over weight in my family was my father who drove a truck and ate at restaurants. A lot of the food, even then came from cans and who knows what else. Eating out was almost never for us, mainly because there weren't that many places. By the way What-a-burger was the best hamburger place around. Today there are a lot more people who seem to say "I don't feel like cooking tonight, lets eat out". What we eat when we do this is loaded with chemicals and we can't do anything about it except, cook at home and watch what we eat. A little excercise wouldn't hurt either. Don't blame obesity on McDonalds or the school lunch room. When these choices are made they're voluntary.

paralegal6111972
paralegal6111972 09/16/07 - 07:06 am
I am a female driver and i do

I am a female driver and i do drive a SUV. I DON'T talk on the phone while driving. I get so tired of almost being hit by the women who think they can put makeup on while driving or the kicker, reading a book on Riverwatch while driving a stick shift!!!

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/16/07 - 08:01 am
"HE WANTS HIS OWN MOUTHPIECE:

"HE WANTS HIS OWN MOUTHPIECE: New Richmond County school Superintendent Dana Bedden wants to have his own legal counsel and has talked with state Sen. Ed Tarver, an attorney with Hull Towill Norman Barrett & Salley. Mr. Tarver said he'd like the job if there are no legal conflicts"...................................

hmmmmmm...looks like Dr. Bedden's honeymoon with the present school system is over..and he is gearing up for the future?

ivymist
ivymist 09/16/07 - 08:14 am
yay for almost nothing

yay for almost nothing positive to say today... its always great to start off a morning in the negative. or not. though i must say i have to join some of you in stating the worst driver i have seen lately. it was a lady in a mini-van with a palm pilot or GPS system mounted on the left side of her steering wheel. she had a cup in her left hand, and a pen in her right hand. she was reaching over the steering wheel to write on a sticky note posted over the screen of the GPS or whatever on her LEFT SIDE. while driving down Riverwatch. needless to say i asked the driver of the car i was in to either pass her quickly or slow way down until she was gone. scary.

NANF
NANF 09/16/07 - 08:21 am
"Saggin" spelled backwards?

"Saggin" spelled backwards? The result? Just too funny.

edst4
edst4 09/16/07 - 08:27 am
LOL to NANF good one

LOL to NANF good one

edst4
edst4 09/16/07 - 08:41 am
The comment about obese

The comment about obese children and ice cream is ridiculous. The thing that needs to be done is getting your children involved in some sort of sport.

Not sitting in front of the TV playing video games or chatting on line. Both of my children were or are in some form of sport. My daughter is in softball. She plays for Harlem high J.V. and Varsity as well as rec ball in the spring. She does weight training at school to stay in shape and to be a better softball player.

My son played baseball and tennis as well as weight training in high school. He is at ASU now and is in the weight room several times a week. He has also I am sure by now ate enough Big Macs to keep a McDonald's open on his own and still manages to have a wash board stomach.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 09/16/07 - 08:51 am
Because of irresponsible

Because of irresponsible parents, I think the schools should stop serving all the extra junk they sell. Sometimes the only nutritious meal some kids get are at school. Ice cream and stuff should only be given as a desert to a nutritious meal. Daddy rabbit I agree about the dont blame others for the voluntary choices, but kids aren't responsible or old enough to make those decisions. When I was in school there was no vending machines or buying individual lunch items. You but a lunch and you get a milk and a desert with your nutritious meal. Only got chocolate milk on fridays. What is the reason for allowing kids to purchase their own junk??? Do you really expect students notto make the choice oficecream and sodas over a salad and veggies when their parents have such poor eating habits?? Like I said .. sometimes its the only chance for a nutritious meal. The vending machines and extras you can buy alone are nothing more tha a money maker and care nothing about our kids health. IMO, its ridiculous. If they weren't allowed to buy just french fries and a soda everyday for lunch maybe they would eat whats good for them becuase its the only choice they have.

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/16/07 - 09:33 am
any fans of classic soul

any fans of classic soul music out there? the really hard ones to find?

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/16/07 - 09:38 am
takeastand--you are exactly

takeastand--you are exactly right. Schools have sold out for some reason.

marien
marien 09/16/07 - 09:41 am
In don't see anything funny

In don't see anything funny about he word saggin this is not a joke it affects all of society not just one set of people, but this is america say what you will.

Rudy4364
Rudy4364 09/16/07 - 09:56 am
KutBuddy you are sick! I

KutBuddy you are sick! I have yet to meet anyone that supports Vic. I pray the good Lord sees fit to rid our world of slime like you soon.

Vulcan_Rider
Vulcan_Rider 09/16/07 - 09:57 am
Marien, I agree the joke of

Marien, I agree the joke of the word backwards was in poor taste, its not a black or white issue, just go to the mall an see. But you know, the R&R, and Augusta tries to make everything a race issue. Just my 2 cents worth.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 09/16/07 - 09:58 am
Illegitimacy is the status

Illegitimacy is the status that was once commonly ascribed to individuals born to parents who were not married. A corresponding legal term was bastardy. The child's status could be changed in either direction by civil or canon law. In some jurisdictions, marriage of an illegitimate child's parents after its birth resulted in the child's legitimation, the child's legal status then changing to "special bastardy."
What was the point again????

deekster
deekster 09/16/07 - 10:06 am
MY RANT IS for young girls

MY RANT IS for young girls wearing pajamas outside in public, sometimes to include bedroom shoes. It is part of the "culture". Madonna, Britney, Alicia etc. All of their role models are "doin it". Next it will be "short skirts and no drawers." Its the answer to "gangsta clothing".

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 09/16/07 - 10:10 am
takeastand you are absolutely

takeastand you are absolutely wrong--it is not the responsibility of government schools to be the only source of nutrition for your kids. School lunch programs are in competition with other sources for lunch room dollars. Many times the principals will provide vending machines, ice cream merchandisers, etc. for kids to choose from. Most importantly, it is the responsibility of parents to make sure kids eat right. If you can't afford to do this or are just too lazy to do this, maybe you should not have children.

Vulcan_Rider
Vulcan_Rider 09/16/07 - 10:26 am
4putt, If the parents are not

4putt, If the parents are not doing the job, should the schools just ignore the problem?

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/16/07 - 10:27 am
Let's see...we pay taxes to

Let's see...we pay taxes to support the schools. Government supposedly enforces nutrition to our children. Why are they in competition for food with others? Schools should offer nutritional meals, period. I, as a parent, insure my daughters nutrution, but many parents don't. That is not the childs fault. Let's make sure atleast one meal per day has some nutritional value. But I do know where you are coming from 4putt.

Republicant
Republicant 09/16/07 - 10:30 am
Again, some idiot compares

Again, some idiot compares dog fighting to abortion.
Pull your head out.

Vulcan_Rider
Vulcan_Rider 09/16/07 - 10:34 am
Republicant,I a like you, I

Republicant,I a like you, I don't see any connection. I have yet to see a Vick jersey around town. I think that is a good thing. Abortion is a separate issue.

I4PUTT
I4PUTT 09/16/07 - 11:09 am
Vulcan, they offer a luch

Vulcan, they offer a luch that is FDA approved. That's not ignoring the problem. My issue is parents who think it is someone's else's responsibility to provide the main source of nutrition for their kids.
knowsbetter- if only the basic meals were provided without some snacks & goodies, lunchroom participation would decrease dramatically. We pay taxes to make certain lots of things are done. Some are...some aren't. Some we agree with...some we don't. I don't follow your logic.

swopslash
swopslash 09/16/07 - 11:11 am
Uh, yeh. Ashamed of Vick. U

Uh, yeh. Ashamed of Vick. U shouldn't drive and put on make-up, and we live in a "fat" country where food is an emotional crutch for many. And here in our town.. my family visits once a year. This year I don't even know what hotel to put them at. Crack heads and dealers have taken over the majority of hotels in this area, except during Master's when they magically disappear for a week. It sucks that my primary focus is more related to their safety than what we'll do while they're here. And sure, it can be like that anywhere. But it's getting worse here. Oh yeh-the sagging pants thing. It can make it easier for the police to catch them in a foot chase-white or black.

lilmace
lilmace 09/16/07 - 11:17 am
Are you blaming an innocent

Are you blaming an innocent child because his/her parents chose not to be married at the time of their birth. Yes, back in my day, if you had a child out of wedlock you were branded a slut or worse, lived "acrosss the tracks", was referred to as "white trash", and had no education but times have changed. I may not like the fact that my daughter and her fiance have chosen to have their child before marriage, but as she told me "We will get married when we want to not when someone thinks we should." Don't get me wrong, she is a college grad with a double major, works, and they own their own landscaping business, therefore the state is not suppporting her while she is having her family

lilmace
lilmace 09/16/07 - 11:20 am
KB, wht music are you looking

KB, wht music are you looking for and by who? Anyone in particular?

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...