Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

I JUST WANT TO say stop complaining about Rants & Raves. I used to write letters to the editor, but I'm very old now and my hand shakes a lot and I cannot write. So when I have something that's important to me I say it on Rants & Raves.

THANK GOD FOR Judge Dickert's resignation.

A RANT FOR customer service in India. Let's bring customer service for all these companies back to the United States.

WHY DOES VENUS Cain feel the need to apologize to the board and not Mr. Scott? She didn't threaten them; she threatened him.

I JUST READ the rant about the postcards of Mr. Kirby. Just skip on over, read his joke and forget the rest of it. It saves you time on reading the newspaper.

A RANT FOR the United States continuing to import goods from China and other countries. Bring back our factories.

A RANT AND a rave for Diamond Lakes Park. We have a good library, a good baseball field, but what about more picnic areas and a good walking trail around the lakes? Andy Cheek, do you live in south Augusta or on Broad Street?

HAS ANYONE CONSIDERED where the money is coming from to pay for this war that is costing millions of dollars daily?

A HUGE RANT for The Augusta Chronicle that it would even consider cutting back on TV Week.

A RANT FOR the Atlanta Braves. Two words describe this team: "They stink."

TO THE INDIVIDUAL who wanted to go 35 mph in a 55 mph zone, that is nothing more than total arrogance on your part.

WE HAD A house guest from Australia. His plane arrived in Augusta six hours late. His departure was to be from Augusta. His flight was delayed two times and then, three hours later, it was completely canceled. His luggage was left on the tarmac by airport workers and we had a rain shower. All of his belongings were soaking wet. We ended up driving him to Atlanta. I was extremely disappointed and embarrassed.

A RANT ABOUT handicap parking spaces. Just because someone in your family has a handicap tag, it doesn't give you the right to use a handicap parking place.

WHY HASN'T THE paper published my rants about the loud blaring car stereos on Wrightsboro Road between Jimmy Dyess Parkway and Grovetown?

SHAME ON THE city of Augusta for wanting to do this golf thing park or whatever it is. For all that money, they could condemn the law enforcement center and build another one.

YOU DON'T WASH your dog. You don't buy him a flea collar. You don't take him out at night. You don't take him to the vet. But you're convinced Michael Vick is a bad guy. Plus you forgot to spay and neuter again this year. Who is the real bad guy?

TO THE PERSON ranting about beer guzzling bubbas at the drag strip: How dare you stereotype. I bet you guzzle those $1 beers on Thirsty Thursday at the GreenJackets game or guzzle bottles of wine before and after your little opera.

COMMISSIONER ANDY CHEEK wants to extend the canal down to Ellis Street. I say leave it alone and use the money to do repairs downtown and bring business back downtown.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

wildman
wildman 09/04/07 - 03:37 am
Again, the Augusta Airport

Again, the Augusta Airport has screwed up. Flying in and out of Augusta just can't suck enough.

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/04/07 - 04:25 am
Yep...Just got back from

Yep...Just got back from Florida...drove to Atlanta parked my car at my Daughters took the shuttle to the Airport and then drove back home when I returned...............cost for roundtrip ticket 200.00 if I had flown from Augusta the price would have doubled and there was a good possiblty I would have been put on a bus from Atlanta.............................

NEone
NEone 09/04/07 - 04:58 am
Just because someone doesn't

Just because someone doesn't properly care for his/her pet doesn't make Michael Vick any less guilty. Quit comparing!

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/04/07 - 05:13 am
Why do people keep defending

Why do people keep defending Michael Vick? He's already admitted he's guilty! NEone is right, you can't compare the two. Most people don't torture their dogs. Vick did and worse. Stop defending this loser!

Reality
Reality 09/04/07 - 05:27 am
The Augusta airport has spent

The Augusta airport has spent a lot of money for new and re-build construction, sounds like it was a good investment....People will always defend the guilty, maybe to feel good about themselves.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/04/07 - 05:33 am
Honest, how defending someone

Honest, how defending someone like that can make anyone feel good is beyond me. You gotta really be low down if taking up for him makes you feel good. As for Augusta Regional...I've never flown in my life and don't ever intend to. At least I know that'll be one less thing for me to worry about.

getalife
getalife 09/04/07 - 06:07 am
A handicap tag should only be

A handicap tag should only be used when the person with the handicap is in the car!! But I see it everyday where healthy people use the tag and hop out of the car to go to the post office or to go shopping. Handicap tags should be withdrawn or taken back once the handicap person dies, but I see people I know that are still using these tags!!

CSRAider
CSRAider 09/04/07 - 06:24 am
A little planning at the

A little planning at the Augusta Airport is a smart thing. Make sure you are on the high probability flights. Usually early is better. Dont think Vick is all that bad he got caught! Their are alot worsre people out their and you know them. They just havent gotten caught.

docbo68
docbo68 09/04/07 - 06:44 am
I tried to fly from Atlanta

I tried to fly from Atlanta to Augusta last Friday. After five hours, five gate changes and three excuses later, our flight was cancelled at midnight. We asked the flight officials to give us a shuttle bus as those from Augusta when the flight was "delayed" the first time as we expect this after awhile if you fly often to/from Augusta and Atlanta. Several of the us banded together and got a van that drove us to Augusta. I should have been home by 10pm. I got to my house at 4 the next morning. My luggage, according to the airline, had to be delivered the next morning. The next afternoon when I received it, several items were missing. What else can I expect? These are the reasons people like myself will endure the traffic to Columbia and Atlanta. As long as the airlines treat people from Augusta as people not worthy to fly their airlines, the airport will suffer. What other recourse do we have?

shedaisy
shedaisy 09/04/07 - 06:48 am
The real bad guy committed a

The real bad guy committed a FEDERAL OFFENSE! What don't you understand? Each time someone comes on here, and defends Vick they show how much of a supporter they are of dogfighting, and ignorancy!

humble
humble 09/04/07 - 07:03 am
Rave for the great ER staff

Rave for the great ER staff at University Hospital. Keep up the great work guys.

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/04/07 - 07:04 am
Change of topic for a

Change of topic for a moment....anyone seen the documentary on Sundance Channel about the huge number of nose jobs being done in Iran...it's a hoot !! The young folks over there are starting to get really bored with their Gov. It's an amusing insight...check it out.

karmakills123
karmakills123 09/04/07 - 07:09 am
And one more change....thats

And one more change....thats a very big and scary storm out there (felix)......I would like to see a bit more coverage on it.

Jillian
Jillian 09/04/07 - 07:16 am
It's called "BUSH FIELD" for

It's called "BUSH FIELD" for a reason!

El Guapo
El Guapo 09/04/07 - 07:38 am
Building a new terminal will

Building a new terminal will have exactly ZERO benefit for the airport if the level of service does not improve. Spend all the money you want, but the flight cancellations and delays have nothing to do with the terminal and everything to do with the carrier and service staff. You can put a drunk behind the wheel of a Pinto or an Escalade, and he'll drive the thing off the road just the same.

localman
localman 09/04/07 - 07:45 am
The Braves won divisional

The Braves won divisional titles 14 years in a row and weathered every storm. Maddux left, Glavine left, bunch of hitters, injuries, the list goes on. Heck they even survived Cox being voted the "Manager Most Likely to Be Thrown out of a Ballgame". The only thing they could not weather is Leo leaving.

mdbrave
mdbrave 09/04/07 - 08:22 am
I flew in and out of Augusta

I flew in and out of Augusta twice about 3 weeks ago (via both carriers) and had no problems. However, I think my experience is more the exception than the rule. Augustans should lobby for a low cost carrier (i.e., Southwest) to come to Augusta Regional and complain loudly to Delta (which seems to ignore passengers coming in to Augusta from Atlanta).

ladybug74
ladybug74 09/04/07 - 08:42 am
When someone has a handicap

When someone has a handicap tag, you don't always "see" the disability. You can't judge a book by the cover....you don't know what is going on. For those that are legit, cut them some slack....for those that scam, karma will get them.

Brenda_G
Brenda_G 09/04/07 - 08:58 am
Yes, Jillian, you're right!

Yes, Jillian, you're right! It is named Bush Field for a reason. In 1941 it was a flight training school for the military and so named for Donald Bush, an instructor who was killed in a two plane collision while performing flight maneuvers.

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 09/04/07 - 09:26 am
Jillian, thanks for that!

Jillian, thanks for that! How very funny and appropriate!

charles yonce
charles yonce 09/04/07 - 09:36 am
i haven't posted for about 6

i haven't posted for about 6 days so i had to read up on many of the older articles. where is this knave person at? please resurface! i was wrong! everyone on here who posts is not always a dolt!

Anne65
Anne65 09/04/07 - 09:43 am
I have 4 dogs and 3 cats.

I have 4 dogs and 3 cats. They only get neutered or spayed once Duh!! Michael Vick killed pit bulls with he's bare hands. How about the government do the same with Vick. My pets are treated with respect and love. They are our "kids", our four-legged ones. People need to learn to respect All of God's creatures!!!

walkedit
walkedit 09/04/07 - 09:44 am
What about the "Expectant

What about the "Expectant Mother" parking spaces? We all did fine, why do they need this now? Get real! If they can't walk the parking lot, they probably shouldn't be out buying groceries, or shopping Walmart.

peachykeen
peachykeen 09/04/07 - 09:49 am
Good luck and enjoy your

Good luck and enjoy your retirement Judge Dickert. You deserve it....

misscj0123
misscj0123 09/04/07 - 10:07 am
Some expectant mothers do

Some expectant mothers do need to park closer to the stores, especially in the last month of pregnancy. Not all pregnancies are the same. Don't be so heartless.

jack
jack 09/04/07 - 10:17 am
Getalife, just because a

Getalife, just because a person can make to the post office or any other place from his/her handicapped parking space and doesn't limp, doesn't mean they don't have a handicap, such as congestive heart failure or emphesema, both preventing fast or ong distance walking. As for folks that ain't handicapped but use whover's car and park in those spcaes, they need their butts kicked. Same for lazy folks that park there without any handicapped tag or window tag. Call the cops and let that mercedes/lexus owner pay the $500 fine.

jack
jack 09/04/07 - 10:22 am
Any one who flies out of

Any one who flies out of Augsta deserves everything they don't get. The problems with air service out of/into Augusta has been given plenty of publicity. Columbia has cheaper fares, more direct flights, and less than an hour away. Nice airport too.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 09/04/07 - 10:30 am
Amen Jack, the airport here

Amen Jack, the airport here leaves tons to be desired. New slogan, "Fly somewhere, get bussed home........honey I will be home somtime this week"

Jillian
Jillian 09/04/07 - 10:41 am
lol Deb...I thought it was

lol Deb...I thought it was funny too....Is there anything with the name "Bush" that functions properly these days?

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 09/04/07 - 10:43 am
I've always wondered about

I've always wondered about the Expectant Mother spaces.....are they legally just for expectant mothers? And is that enforcable?At Publix yesterday afternoon a really big-bellied man parked in one and went inside. I don't think he was pregnant--just over-ate or liked beer. Of course the thought crossed my mind that someone needed to put a sign on the back of his car "I'm not really pregnant...just too lazy to park in a regular space." Maybe this would work for the Handicapped spaces as well.