Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

HUGE RAVE FOR Stacie, who works at University Hospital in L and D on the third floor on the night shift.

AFTER REVIEWING THE Richmond County Board of Education's Homework Position Statement, Curriculum No. 156, I tried to follow the instructions of "Cut Along Dotted Line" in order to return the signed portion back to the school. The line below these instructions was solid rather than dotted. No wonder our schools are not making progress.

I THINK YIELD SIGNS should be about three times as big as they are now so people can see them.

I WONDER HOW many children we will eventually find who belong to James Brown.

WHEN WILL AUGUSTANS realize that we need to stop relying on our "leaders" to get things done around here? The private sector needs to take the initiative.

I'M A SOUTHERNER and have been for all of my 53 years. "Honey" and "sweetie" are not a "Southern thing." They are expressions by less educated and less cultured people who assume they can become more familiar with someone than good etiquette allows. By the way, "etiquette" means "manners" in the Southern dialect.

BARBARA PULLIAM SAYS, "If you don't get it (education) Monday through Friday, what makes you think you'll get it in a couple of hours on Saturday?" Clearly, more class time should produce more educated students. But Ms. Pulliam is onto something. If you don't "get it" from Monday through Friday, maybe you're one of the vast majority of students who are not supposed to go to college.

TO THE GRANDPA who has no dictionary - "alien" simply means foreign. It has nothing to do with whether the alien is from Mexico or from the moon.

woeisyou
woeisyou 09/02/07 - 05:03 am
lol

lol

jebko
jebko 09/02/07 - 06:25 am
Did you ever have a male

Did you ever have a male clerk/customer 'associate' call yo "hon"? I questioned him one day, and he said that meant 'honorable one'. He's a southern dude... but I gotta wonder!

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/02/07 - 06:33 am
I hear it all the time.

I hear it all the time. Doesn't bother me a bit. No one else calls me hon or sugar! lol I don't feel like there's anything disrespectful about it. I say it and have all my life. I associate it with a friendly person.

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/02/07 - 07:01 am
Now that "southerner" up

Now that "southerner" up there that said they believe the use of the terminology of honey or sweetie is for less educated or less cultured people has offended me and my grandmother who has passed on. I would like to direct that individual to the location of either half of my buttocks where they can squarely place a facial smooch. Being from the south may be true. Being a southerner may be true also. But that, my good fellow, is where the ending point begins. Southern culture is not what you see in gone with the wind. Southern culture is passed down from generation to generation and it's taught from the eldest to the youngest. The elders call the younger ones honey and sweetie as signs of affection. Now, if we stop there, we may see the problem. My guess is that you were such an ugly child that if Moses had seen you, there would have been one more commandment. Maybe none of your elders could muster up the courage to endear you with such a name as honey or sweetie. Let us all hold hands and pray for your facial reconstruction to come through. Do not insult we southerners again. I may be forced to come thru these lines and put you in a headlock.

bone
bone 09/02/07 - 07:22 am
i just know that in any

i just know that in any waffle house you're going to get called "hon" at least once.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 09/02/07 - 07:50 am
If you don't like being

If you don't like being called honey or sweetie or hon, just tell the person that they don't know you and shouldn't be so familiar or just a curt "do I know you?" should make your point. I'm sure you'd receive different service from that point on. Or, you can just make an effort not to be so dang touchy. It's called socializing.

dixiechick007
dixiechick007 09/02/07 - 07:57 am
knowsbetter, now that was a

knowsbetter, now that was a great post. I was late getting up this morn., so thanks for defending us proud southerners. Maybe this idiot needs to move up north.

PFLY775
PFLY775 09/02/07 - 08:07 am
Well if etiquette means

Well if etiquette means manners in the southern dialect then the writer needs to re-educate herself about how not to be a pretentious snob. Glad you're an educated belle but excuse me, uh, sweetie...your snobbery is hanging out all over the place, Honey! May I get you a kleenex.?

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 09/02/07 - 08:09 am
Our dialect is probably one

Our dialect is probably one of the most unique in the country. And I'm proud of it! My fathers' family has lived in the South for 400 years. You can't change us to fit your mold. Nice try.

getalife
getalife 09/02/07 - 08:35 am
I am a southerner and proud

I am a southerner and proud of it. I don't mind someone calling me honey, sweetie or even baby. KNOWSBETTER, that was a great post!!!

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 09/02/07 - 08:49 am
Gosh, I don't know whether to

Gosh, I don't know whether to feel insulted or not. I was born and raised in Michigan, but my mom brought me up as a southerner cause she was from North Carolina. I don't reaallly care either.

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 09/02/07 - 08:50 am
knowsbetter...i read the

knowsbetter...i read the original post at 6:00 am, but was too sleepy to argue my intelligience sweetie. thank you for taking care of it for all of education honeys everywhere. darlin' i just love it when another sweetie here is right!!!!!

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 09/02/07 - 08:55 am
Well, lookahere now...I just

Well, lookahere now...I just realized I typed the previous reply in all caps and it was NOT posted as I typed it, so I'm waiting on someone more educated than I, Me, Them....YOU, to tell me I'm not using correct punctuation and grammar. While you're correcting me sugar...tell me which side of my bottom you'd like to kiss first. Y'all have a good day now...sweeties!

debby
debby 09/02/07 - 09:05 am
Knowsbetter....since you say

Knowsbetter....since you say you don't like being insulted, why is it okay for you to insult the "southerner?" Name calling is insulting in my opinion. Just sayin'.

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/02/07 - 09:12 am
debby--Why, I guess I just

debby--Why, I guess I just isn't eddikated enuff to no the diffwunce. I gots no kultcha. I don't no nuttin about birthin no babays.

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/02/07 - 09:15 am
BTW, anybody who wants to

BTW, anybody who wants to call me honey, sugar, sweetie etc, feel free to do so. Unless you're a man with dark colored socks, pale skin and sandals. Then, even though I have very little refinement, I know you don't know the correct derivation of the usage of such projections. Now miss debby, please call me honey. And throw me an apple fritter.

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/02/07 - 09:21 am
And kk, sugar is sweet and so

And kk, sugar is sweet and so are you, honey pot.

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/02/07 - 09:26 am
dixiechick and

dixiechick and getalife---Glad to oblige. I felt a need to defend our rights. I may be as dumb as a bag of hammers, but I do know my manners. Ettiquette where I come from means the old folks eat first and you hope they saved you a bisquit. We may have drank our tea from mason jars, but the men were men and the ladies were ladies. I still hold doors for ladies and pump gas for women. We do exist.

intheknow
intheknow 09/02/07 - 09:34 am
It is not your business how

It is not your business how many children James Brown had.

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/02/07 - 09:58 am
I'm not all together sure

I'm not all together sure it's James Brown's business how many children he had. I agree he was the godfather of soul. But dadgum, I wish he would have chosen to be the godfather to more kids instead of the actual father. Talk about a sex machine. He really meant try me. Papa's brand new bag shoulda had a condom or two. Know why he felt so good. I could go on like this for hours. My mind was a terrible thing to waste.

deekster
deekster 09/02/07 - 10:29 am
As Hank Jr. once said, "he

As Hank Jr. once said, "he was just carrying on a family tradition". MOST entertainers, as we are constantly reminded by cable news, live a wild and non-traditional life style. They can carry us into a world of "fantasy" with ease, because they live there all of the time.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 09/02/07 - 10:40 am
Knowsbetter, you are on a

Knowsbetter, you are on a roll! Well said!

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/02/07 - 10:42 am
Ain't nothing worse than a

Ain't nothing worse than a redneck (according to signal) with a decent vocabulary and some spare time. I already did my morning exercise, took my pills and I feel like hot butter on warm toast.

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/02/07 - 10:57 am
Huge rave to MCG about their

Huge rave to MCG about their epilepsy research. That is amazing!

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/02/07 - 11:37 am
First thing I'd do on 56 is

First thing I'd do on 56 is stop at T's for some great seafood. Then you'll have to unbutton the top button on your breeches and any road you take from there will be a smooth ride. The roads there always seem to be in a state of construction. I'll let someone else give you a better route. But trust me on T's.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 09/02/07 - 12:14 pm
Knowsbetter, Charlie Daniels

Knowsbetter, Charlie Daniels even had a song about it. It said what this world needs is a few more rednecks. Where did that get to be a bad term. I remember a hip brother-in-law of mine once saying he was going to whip some redneck's butt. Except he wasn't so polite. Remember, Ward Cleaver was a redneck....

wise
wise 09/02/07 - 12:21 pm
I had a friend get fired from

I had a friend get fired from her job because she called a lady honey. She was a waitress. The lady complained to her boss and she got fired.

redneck einstein
redneck einstein 09/02/07 - 12:25 pm
I wear the redneckbanner

I wear the redneckbanner proudly. Redneck, for those undefined, came from the fact that farmers worked in the fields from sunup to sundown. They'd come into town occasionally to buy seed or whatnot from the local general store. They would be identified by the townsfolk as rednecks because of the sunworn look on their neck from hours in the sun. That is my heritage. Jerry Jeff Walker put it proudly in his song "Up against the wall redneck mother". Now the word redneck has taken on meaning to some as "white trash". Nothing could be further from the truth. A redneck is the guy who will stop on the side of the road and help out when your car is broke down. He knows just enough about everything to fix what he owns. He's the first in line to help a neighbor. He goes to war for his own reasons. He keeps to himself. He loves his mother to a fault. He makes sure his kids are taken care of. He will tell you what he means....once. Let's just say he doesn't like veggie pizzas or peta. Dogs belong in the back of the truck. He'd take a bullet for a true friend. If you're outnumbered in a bad situation, you want to know atleast two of 'em. We know what we are and we probably don't like Hillary.

Rose
Rose 09/02/07 - 12:26 pm
I do not like for a woman to

I do not like for a woman to call me sweetie or honey. that is an insult to me. I have lived in the South all my life.

kiddspur
kiddspur 09/02/07 - 12:30 pm
knowsbetter -- rather be

knowsbetter -- rather be called honey or sweetie than some of the things I have been called -- good afternoon to each and all ---KK -- the site wil only post a few caps -- all caps will automatically drop back to lower case so it seems!!!

Fire closes Broad Street

An early morning fire closed parts of downtown Broad Street and motorists were advised to avoid the area around Ninth Street.eet.