Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

WITH ALL THE TEMPERATURES over 100 degrees, does this prove Al Gore is right about global warming?

A RAVE TO THE person driving the red Corvette with the licence plate TommyT. Thank you so much for stopping and helping me change my tire. You had such beautiful teeth and a wonderful smile. One other thing, are you married?

THE TAXPAYERS OF Richmond County do not, I repeat, do not want a drag strip, and we don't need another baseball stadium. There's nothing wrong with the one we've got, and they can't even fill that one up.

WITH REGARD TO THE FIFTH STREET Bridge closing, the cheapest way would be to put those concrete barriers at each end of the bridge, leaving the sidewalks open that have been clearly marked, and have it only open for pedestrian and bicycle traffic.

I WORK FOR THE Richmond County Health Department, and we deal with more than a hundred clients a day. With the school rush, everyone waited to the last minute. They came in with bad attitudes, and we get no support.

IN THE REAL LIFE, the Augusta commissioners have built nothing, not even a courthouse.

TO THE PERSON WHO wrote to the speeders passing through Ivy Falls, the speed limit is 25 mph, not 65. That goes for Goshen Plantation, too, including Richmond County sheriff's officers who live in Goshen Plantation apartments.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/22/07 - 05:43 am
Yes, the 100degree

Yes, the 100degree temperatures prove Al Gore jr right. Of course, the next 10 months will prove him wrong, again.

NANF
NANF 08/22/07 - 07:19 am
To the people that work at

To the people that work at the health dept. Quit complaining!!! You get a check on payday dont'cha??? Just do your job. Sounds like YOU might be the problem, not the people that are comeing in there.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/22/07 - 08:03 am
With workers like the above

With workers like the above ranter from the Richmond Co. Health Dept., constituents come in with a bad attitude and leave in worse shape.

whyme
whyme 08/22/07 - 08:09 am
Right away everyone wants to

Right away everyone wants to blame the employees. As a customer I have seen how people decide to act better than the worker just because they can. They bring bratty kids in with no manners, talk whatever way they want to the staff at places like the health dept or other places of business, and then have the nerve to complain.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 08/22/07 - 08:18 am
Yea, like no one that goes to

Yea, like no one that goes to the health department 'shows out' when they arent waited on fast enough.

sTiCkMaN
sTiCkMaN 08/22/07 - 08:19 am
"Tax payers of Richmond

"Tax payers of Richmond county" is that all 10 of you then? hahahaha

john
john 08/22/07 - 08:46 am
Once again, if you dont like

Once again, if you dont like your job, get an other one. Quit being a victim.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/22/07 - 08:46 am
Great comment, Rockman. It

Great comment, Rockman. It would be nice if our tax collectors would get out on the streets and make the deadbeats pay up instead of writing it off.

carltonspackler
carltonspackler 08/22/07 - 08:47 am
Lake Olmstead Stadium, or

Lake Olmstead Stadium, or whatever the name is, most certainly does fill up on "Thirsty Thursday's". When you offer $1.00 beer, the college students in Augusta, usually tend to flock to those places.

johnsmith
johnsmith 08/22/07 - 09:00 am
Wow, if we don't get this

Wow, if we don't get this global warming under control, we've had it! Look at THIS story: http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_233143509.html

johnsmith
johnsmith 08/22/07 - 09:08 am
All these Democrats have been

All these Democrats have been telling us since the Nov. '06 elections that "Bush's war" was unwinnable (forgetting the fact that the WAR had already been won, and that it was the reconstruction that was proving to be difficult). They have accused our troops of being stupid, of terrorizing civilians, of war crimes, you name it. All along, they've marched to the drumbeat of "the war can't be won, it's a civil war, we're 'wasting lives', Bush has gotten us into a quagmire." And now ( http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/
08/21/AR2007082102025_pf.html )
here we go! They were wrong. They know they were wrong. They know that there is no chance for any military in the Middle East to defeat the US , if only we give our soldiers the tools, numbers, and support they need. So, instead, since they acknowledge that good news in Iraq is bad political news for the Democrats, they have been trying to lose the war politically, to give Bush a black eye. They have been claiming the surge was a failure since before it began, but the moment all the troops were in place, we saw major improvements begin. Are we going to let them rewrite history AGAIN? Hold them accountable...

johnsmith
johnsmith 08/22/07 - 09:12 am
When is a local merchant

When is a local merchant going to set up a "China free" products zone? Many of us would pay a little more to get products not made by slave labor, not soaked in formaldehyde, not containing antifreeze, etc. Remember back when Sam Walton was alive, that WalMart's slogan was "We buy American so you can, too!" Now it's "Always low prices. Always!" They need to put an "*Lead poisoning, feces and formaldehyde provided free of charge"

misscj0123
misscj0123 08/22/07 - 09:13 am
I can't believe they are

I can't believe they are posting raves to find out if someone is available to date or not. "You had such beautiful teeth and a wonderful smile. One other thing, are you married?" Geeze...AC needs to change the name to the RR&R (Rants, Raves, and Romance). They just need a separate chat and matchmaker section. LOL

mgray
mgray 08/22/07 - 09:14 am
To the person who wants to

To the person who wants to know if Al Gore is right - some of the record highs that have been broken were set almost 100 years ago - so the globe has been sitting on simmer for quite some time it seems. It's called SUMMER - it will cool off in WINTER.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 08/22/07 - 09:19 am
Beautiful teeth and a

Beautiful teeth and a wonderful smile doesn't mean the person is not a psycho. ha ha ha

misscj0123
misscj0123 08/22/07 - 09:19 am
In response to the rant from

In response to the rant from the worker at the Richmond County Health Dept., I understand where you are coming from. I can believe people can be rude and difficult, especially when they have to wait a long time to be seen and the kids are running around making lot of noises and crying. I also think that with most people, the attitude you give is what you receive in return. I am sure if these same people had been nicer, your day would have went better. But the same applies to you, the employee, who is giving the service. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet (on the job) and smile and be friendly (force yourself even). It can, lot of the time, change the attitude of the person you are dealing with. I hope you have better days coming up.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 08/22/07 - 09:25 am
I agree. It's Customer

I agree. It's Customer Service" and it should be part of every job. People can be very rude sometimes, but you don't know what's just happened in that person's day to make them that way. That same woman with the unruly children could be someone who has been staying in the hospital all night with a critically ill relative and has only had an hour or two of sleep.
Smile...be friendly...and actually try to make a positive difference in someone's life. It's amzing how much it will also improve your own outlook.

Jillian
Jillian 08/22/07 - 09:26 am
At least you have a job to be

At least you have a job to be complaining about! If you don't like it then leave and let someone else have it who will be thankful.

School starts around the same time every year and you know there will always be more people to serve around that time. Adjust your attitude to meet the need or move elsewhere. It's always going to happen.

intheknow
intheknow 08/22/07 - 09:33 am
Just because a person get

Just because a person get paid to do a job, does not mean that they should be subjects of abuse. The fact that the customer had a bad day, is no excuse for rudeness. I make it a point to go out of my may to ensure that I do not add to what is already a stressful job.

G.R.I.T.S
G.R.I.T.S 08/22/07 - 09:34 am
Amen Jillian! Some people

Amen Jillian! Some people can't do their job without complaining. I tell people that if they don't like what they are doing, leave. There are at least 10 people waiting to take your place. NO ONE is irreplaceable anymore. And you are right, your attitude directly impacts on your Customer's attitude.

misscj0123
misscj0123 08/22/07 - 09:44 am
None of us are saints and all

None of us are saints and all are subject to human emotions. Sometimes the customer can really irritate you. But, you have to remember the difference, the customer, right or wrong, is why you are there. You are the one getting paid, so it's up to you to maintain the proper attitude.

skyes_mommy
skyes_mommy 08/22/07 - 09:56 am
And that's why I left

And that's why I left "customer service". I refuse to allow people to talk to me any way they please, call me out of my name, put money on the counter when I have my hand out and just be plain rude because they felt that they could. I don't care what you've been through, that doesn't constitute being an [filtered word] to people who don't deserve it.

Vulcan_Rider
Vulcan_Rider 08/22/07 - 10:09 am
Rants Raves and Romance...

Rants Raves and Romance... Hmmmmm, Not a bad idea? I got a good chuckle out of that comment. I think she was more impressed with the corvette and the fact that he helped her change a tire. I have been known to do that, but no corvette here.

nadps53jrt
nadps53jrt 08/22/07 - 10:11 am
No, Al Gore is wrong..this is

No, Al Gore is wrong..this is the first summer month that it has been hot. June July were nice and cool.

august22
august22 08/22/07 - 10:26 am
Ivy Falls now has road humps

Ivy Falls now has road humps and a posted speed limit of 20 mph. Thanks to Columbia County for making our neighborhood safer!

charles yonce
charles yonce 08/22/07 - 10:30 am
hey smitty how many young men

hey smitty how many young men have you carried to the recruiters station today?it seems the military,despite all it's gimmicks cannot find many of these patriots that scream out "go kill those terrorists boys" we'll be here when you get back! we're not fighting a military there,smitty actually we don't know who we're fighting. there is no good news to come out of iraq,it's been 4 years now, how many more dead soldiers,before we hear as robert macnamara said about vietnam 30 years later, it was all a mistake.who gave the us the authority to invade, and topple leaders anyway? the guy was a murderer? he gassed people 20 years ago? kinda late to respond now isn't it smitty? why didn't the amiable dunce reagan intervene then? oh! i forgot! it was his admiinistaration that sold the gas to saddam! and all those merchants who buy from china,when americans can make those products better,but they won't work for a bag of rice and a $ 1.00 a day.good old american greed! read in the wall street journal today how china is polluting it's rivers with toxics from all of the crap they're making for walmart and target, what a shame.

misscj0123
misscj0123 08/22/07 - 10:33 am
Vulcan, I think she might

Vulcan, I think she might attend MCG Dental School or works for a dentist. She was real impressed with his teeth. LOL

Vulcan_Rider
Vulcan_Rider 08/22/07 - 10:39 am
While I am not in the Austin

While I am not in the Austin Powers category, I would not say I have great teeth. Popkorn, not real sure what your point is with your rant about the military? I don't see the similarity of Viet Nam and Iraq. Is your point we should have stayed out of it and let him run the training camps and gas his own people? Are you from the School that says we should have left Hitler alone, he was not attacking America?

johnsmith
johnsmith 08/22/07 - 11:05 am
Goodness, I'm sure glad that

Goodness, I'm sure glad that popkorn demonstrated last week that he is beneath contempt and is an Alex Jones listener who believes that the US Govt staged 9/11...otherwise, I might be tempted to take the time and effort to rebut his absurd, ridiculous, factually incorrect, misguided statements. Hey...I need to save this as a text file so I can just cut/paste...or would that make me too much like poppy?

jadesmom
jadesmom 08/22/07 - 11:06 am
Sure. Global warming - BIG

Sure. Global warming - BIG myth. Riiiight. All the research is a big lie. [filtered word] ever.

Animal protest called off

Animal activists cancelled a scheduled protest today at Augusta Animal Services after the city's Thursday announcement the department would begin working with a rescue group and will refrain from ...