Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

AH, AUGUSTA IN AUGUST. The air hangs like a wet, woolen blanket.

TO THE PERSON RANTING about loud music and tinted windows. That does not have anything to do with the crime rate.

A RANT TO THE person who stole my walking cane. I'm 87, retired from the Army and just do not understand why anyone would steal someone's walking cane. How low can you get?

WITH EVERYTHING GOING on in Augusta, I think it's time for new ideals and strategies. It's time for a new sheriff.

IN THE SOUTH we are taught to treat everybody as if they were family. I'm sorry you don't like it.

TO THE YANKEE carpetbagger ranting about "honey" and "sweetie," it's a Southern thing.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 08/13/07 - 06:41 am
The long delay between

The long delay between calling in a rant or rave and the posting of them stops them from being timely.

localman
localman 08/13/07 - 06:50 am
Yes Tiger's shirt was red as

Yes Tiger's shirt was red as usual on Sunday. But why didn't it show sweat?

gab91494
gab91494 08/13/07 - 07:38 am
Yeah!!!! The "honey" and

Yeah!!!! The "honey" and "sweetie" is a Southern thing, Yankees just don't understand. If the Yankees don't like it then take your booties back home. No one asked you to transplant yourself to the South....we don't change your heritage don't change our's. I guess you don't like the ma'am and sir respect either that you get in the South, trust me there is nothing like the Southern hospitality. You are just not used to the kind hearted people of the South, Yankees are USUALLY rude, incondsiderate, hot headed.

rakkassan
rakkassan 08/13/07 - 08:19 am
School is back in session.

School is back in session. Central Avenue has turned into the Indy 500 with teenagers running red lights, weaving in and out of traffic and driving every bit of 60 70 MPH trying to get to Richmond Academy. RCSO could have a hayday out there.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 08/13/07 - 08:47 am
My brother and sister-in-law

My brother and sister-in-law moved to Rochester NY several years ago. being very social people they had several backyard parties and cook-outs with their new neighbors, who they just loved. At first their new friends thought it "odd" and questioned why they said "yes, Mam" and "No Mam" and "Thank you, Mam". By the time they moved South again a year and a half later, everyone was calling everyone Sir and Mam and had apparentely picked up southern social manners. My sister-in-law even caught one neighbor saying "Bless her heart..."when talking about another friend. It's just what you are used to......

NEone
NEone 08/13/07 - 08:58 am
My husband held the door open

My husband held the door open for an elderly couple. The lady said, "Oh, thank you, you must be from the South." (He's from New Jersey.) "No ma'am, I'm just a Marine," he replied. Southerners aren't the only polite people in the world, and it's arrogant to think you are. Get over yourselves.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/13/07 - 09:05 am
As Southerners we don't think

As Southerners we don't think we are the only polite people in the world, it's just that most people from other places don't show the manners they may, or may not, have been raised with. Congratulations to your husband for being a Gentleman.

JustMe
JustMe 08/13/07 - 09:13 am
Loud music and dark tinted

Loud music and dark tinted windows are a crime...IT'S AGAINST THE LAW

noctur55
noctur55 08/13/07 - 09:19 am
To my fellow southerners. Get

To my fellow southerners. Get over it. This Yankee-southerner thing makes us look like a bunch of sore losers. You think they even think about the civil war up north? We lost. End of story. Move on.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 08/13/07 - 09:20 am
good morning everyone, is it

good morning everyone, is it me, or are the r&r's getting pretty bad?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/13/07 - 09:26 am
Good morning Crab, it seems

Good morning Crab, it seems as if someone who hasn't had their morning coffee is picking them, they certainly seem lame to me!

boggie
boggie 08/13/07 - 09:28 am
Guess Who's home on Parole

Guess Who's home on Parole Russel Boyd a murderer of many men and government informant, and crack head, how could Justice be so so blind. Does anyone care that this killer is back in town with no marketable skills and source of income, i wonder how he will earn a living?

johnsmith
johnsmith 08/13/07 - 09:32 am
Cool column (pun intended) by

Cool column (pun intended) by Mark Steyn. Cain, stay away...it'll set off your fact allergy and you won't be able to type a coherent sentence all day... http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/opinion/nationalcolumns/
article_1804986.php

Vulcan_Rider
Vulcan_Rider 08/13/07 - 09:33 am
Very lame today, someone stir

Very lame today, someone stir it up....LOL

scob
scob 08/13/07 - 09:35 am
Manners....something a lot of

Manners....something a lot of people overlook in todays world. For example: Loud music late at night, or even when passing a church on Sunday morning. I admit, I love my music and sometimes I get carried away with the volume. But, I don't play music with profanity or sexual lyrics. I normally listen to it loud(factory radio, so no booming bass) when not in a area where I think it may disturb others.
Another example: Traffic, we do not have to let you pull out. When we do please at least show courtesy to the driver who let you go.

Vulcan_Rider
Vulcan_Rider 08/13/07 - 09:36 am
Very lame today, someone stir

Very lame today, someone stir it up....LOL

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/13/07 - 09:40 am
Help, I've been violated!

Help, I've been violated! Someone stole a dozen doughnuts and 4 apple fritters. This travesty must be avenged! Where is my cape and my supersonic tennis shoes. Call out the Superbabies. This is a matter if National Security. Where is Underdog?

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/13/07 - 09:43 am
SuperCrabby, I'm shining my

SuperCrabby, I'm shining my crab light into the sky. "Where are you?" I want my doughnuts back!

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 08/13/07 - 09:47 am
They are all gone, the

They are all gone, the fiddler crabs ate them. They had the munchies!

wink
wink 08/13/07 - 09:48 am
For the Yankees that do not

For the Yankees that do not like our southern lingo Delta is ready when you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 08/13/07 - 09:50 am
Hallie, how was your weekend,

Hallie, how was your weekend, I thought about riding through your apt. complex while blasting Sir-Mix-alot, (the big butt song) but didnt want to wake up innocent peeps in the process.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/13/07 - 09:50 am
Now that was original, Who da

Now that was original, Who da thunk it!

boggie
boggie 08/13/07 - 09:51 am
I have seen just plain dumb

I have seen just plain dumb things in life, but not like this did anyone see the rant about the hitman who was paroled to Augusta or are we more concerned about the commissionand the like. Wake up have your coffee and think, what is more pressing. Duh which way did he go.LOL

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/13/07 - 09:52 am
Baby Got Back! Crab, you da

Baby Got Back! Crab, you da bomb!

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 08/13/07 - 09:53 am
I like the South always lived

I like the South always lived here, I always hold the door open for people, say yes maam and yes sir. It makes me mad that a lot of Northern folks think people in the South are slow or something. We are not all like the pirate guy who drove through the mall....arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/13/07 - 09:53 am
I think the "hitman" may have

I think the "hitman" may have just become a target!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/13/07 - 09:58 am
Several years ago I had the

Several years ago I had the oppotunity, ( or maybe is was misfortune), to work in the New York, New Jersey area. I found that when you spoke to people with respect and treated them with respect or common courtesy, as we like to call it in the south, they assumed that you were weak and attempted to walk over you or were extremely rude to you. I was raised to be a Gentleman and the Ladies in my family were raised to be just that. Maybe they should have some lessons up north. Also it's starting to look like some of those same lessons in this area wouldn't be a waste either!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 08/13/07 - 10:00 am
I apologized for the Rented

I apologized for the Rented fingers, that should be opportunity above. My own fingers type better than that.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/13/07 - 10:33 am
What is up with the AC.. can

What is up with the AC.. can you not post the r and r's in a timely fasion as they are called in?? And on most discussed stories.. there is an article from April.. with the last comment being in April. I wonder if they are hiring right now.. because I see some positions that need to be filled!!! lol I appreciate the posting service , but come on... give us something to work with!! lol

change display name
change display name 08/13/07 - 10:41 am
"Yankees are usually rude,

"Yankees are usually rude, inconsiderate, hot-headed." Oh Good Lord! They are no more rude than the people down here, they just don't say m'am and sir. If cutting people off in traffic and flipping a bird isn't rude, I don't know what is. Rude is a stereotype just like "stupid" is a stereotype for southerners. Not true--but somehow it sticks.

Augusta's ties to Liberia date back to 1836

Richmond County’s ties to West Africa date back to the 1830s, when plantation owner Richard Tubman wrote in his will that his slaves were to be offered freedom. More recently, Augustans have ...