Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

I DON'T UNDERSTAND - the Richmond County police receive the Hometown Heroes Award for going out of their way to do their job?

TO THE RANTER that said Columbia County has turned into a speed-trap. The answer is simple - the only people that have to worry are those that speed. Apparently, you are a speeder.

SCHOOLS DON'T FAIL. People fail. Unless there is a positive working relationship between home and school, students will continue to fail. Placing blame doesn't accomplish anything.

PLEASE BE AWARE if you're in south Augusta. Don't cough in my face. You might have AIDS, too, and I wouldn't want to give it to you and sure don't want you to give it to me. So don't be coughing in my face.

HAVE YOU BEEN into the produce department in Wal-Mart in Thomson? Please look for Mr. Seneca - the man with the big smile. I just want to compliment him for his politeness to the customers. It's long overdue.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

intheknow
intheknow 07/24/07 - 05:20 am
Kind of like the military men

Kind of like the military men and women, with medals, for doing there job. Or an employer, giving a bonus to an employee, for doing their job. MAN!!!!!!!

intheknow
intheknow 07/24/07 - 05:22 am
I do not even know where to

I do not even know where to begin, with the rant about South Augusta. I guess I am blessed to be living on the west side. Where does the Chronicle get this stuff from?

DeborahElliott2
DeborahElliott2 07/24/07 - 05:51 am
I live in South

I live in South Augusta/Hephzibah and I can assure you, not everyone here has AIDS. Get your facts straight on that one pal before you accuse South Augusta of this. This could get you a lawsuit for defamation of character.

NANF
NANF 07/24/07 - 06:00 am
I did not know Mr. Senecas

I did not know Mr. Senecas name, but it has to be the tall black man in the produce dept. at Thomson Wall Mart. Yes, he is so nice and always has a kind word. When I go in next week I am going to tell him I saw this on line. More people like him would make being in Wall Mart anicer place to shop. Thanks Mr. Seneca.

AugustaHeph homeowner
AugustaHeph homeowner 07/24/07 - 07:48 am
#1, South Augusta does not

#1, South Augusta does not have AIDS- IDIOT in West Augsta. That is ridiculous --Just because you have a cough does not mean you have AIDS. West Augusta is not all that wonderful, I know some people that live there and believe they are just like us , everyday down to earth, then there are some that want to BE ALL THAT - and they are not. Augusta-Hephzibah have some very influential people and all these west aug so called HIGH SOCIETY people that think they are it ARE NOT111 wake up. If you are so intheknow-you would know what you're talking about. GEt it straight.

heyheyhey
heyheyhey 07/24/07 - 08:00 am
People please....do not

People please....do not follow up these stupid comments. You people on the west side/ columbia county needs to GROW UP!!...real soon!

NicoleKelly
NicoleKelly 07/24/07 - 08:03 am
That is soooo ignorant!!! I

That is soooo ignorant!!! I can't believe that some people makes those types of comments!!!!!!!!!

kudzunroses
kudzunroses 07/24/07 - 08:15 am
Wow... sounds like High

Wow... sounds like High School.................

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/24/07 - 08:19 am
Looks like someone needs a

Looks like someone needs a Prozac Doughnut!

wheeza
wheeza 07/24/07 - 08:25 am
Just stay out of South

Just stay out of South Augusta.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 07/24/07 - 08:33 am
I live in West Augusta, and I

I live in West Augusta, and I feel the good people of South Augusta gets a bad rap for nothing.When are we going to stop dividing this community. We are all Augustan and we need to work to improve our community. Columbia County get over yourself, not long ago you lived in Augusta. Without Augusta you would be nothing.

hmm
hmm 07/24/07 - 08:34 am
Hmmm..catching AIDS from

Hmmm..catching AIDS from coughing in someone's face...

intheknow
intheknow 07/24/07 - 08:49 am
Welcome back@NicoleKELLY. And

Welcome back@NicoleKELLY. And HEPHOMEOWNER IT WAS TONGUE AND CHEEK. Take time to read my comment sssslllllllllllloooooooowwwwwwllllllllllllyyyyyyyy.

reruns
reruns 07/24/07 - 08:50 am
zzzzzzzzzz......ZZZZZZZ......

zzzzzzzzzz......ZZZZZZZ......

luv2scrapbk
luv2scrapbk 07/24/07 - 08:52 am
I'm so sick and tired of

I'm so sick and tired of people downgrading SOUTH AUGUSTA! Many people who were raised in SOUTH AUGUSTA now live in COLUMBIA COUNTY have you forget where your roots are? If it wasn't for SOUTH AUGUSTA alot of COLUMBIA COUNTY people wouldn't have a job!
There are good and people in both areas of town. Geez, we sound like children fighting over who had to toy first. People please grow up!

Top Notch
Top Notch 07/24/07 - 08:54 am
I grew up in West Augusta- I

I grew up in West Augusta- I have no problem with anyone. Nothing makes one part of Augusta better than the other. Furthermore- the real wealth is in Aiken- we have nothing to be snobby about :)

misscj0123
misscj0123 07/24/07 - 08:56 am
If you think South Augusta is

If you think South Augusta is AIDS Augusta, then stay out of South Augusta. We don't need or want idiots like you in our section of Augusta. People...please...get real!

kiddspur
kiddspur 07/24/07 - 08:59 am
Was Vick asked to stay away

Was Vick asked to stay away from camp because he are black are because he possibly broke the law????????

Top Notch
Top Notch 07/24/07 - 09:05 am
And Raymond- we don't want to

And Raymond- we don't want to move to Columbia County- we are sticking it out. Why do you think we should? IGNORANT REDNECKS? Interesting.

misscj0123
misscj0123 07/24/07 - 09:07 am
kiddspur...you are

kiddspur...you are joking...right?

donttreadonme
donttreadonme 07/24/07 - 09:11 am
South Augusta is also

South Augusta is also discriminated against by insurance companies who charge more due to living in a (hazardous area) A Geico agent told me. You probably aren't saving a bunch of money on your car insurance with Geico if you have an area code of 30906

kiddspur
kiddspur 07/24/07 - 09:15 am
misscl0123 -- Considering

misscl0123 -- Considering some of the other stuff posted here thought I would ask --- kinda like the lady suing the city about her job where they replaced a black lady with a black man and she is sued the city on racist charges!!!!!

itamazezme
itamazezme 07/24/07 - 09:18 am
Honestly, I don't know why

Honestly, I don't know why the Chronicle printed the above about HIV/AIDS, we already have enough ignorant ppl in this world spreading the virus and mis-treating ppl because of false information. To get more accurate information on HIV/AIDS please go visit the CDC website they have alot of good and accurate information on this and other health topics. Let's stop being ignorant about this and start being responsible. Educate!!

misscj0123
misscj0123 07/24/07 - 09:22 am
I had not heard about that

I had not heard about that one kidd. I think some people have lost their sense of direction and common sense.

Top Notch
Top Notch 07/24/07 - 09:24 am
The most common ways that

The most common ways that people become infected with HIV are:by having sexual intercourse with an infected partner
by injecting drugs using a needle or syringe that has been used by someone who is infected.
HIV can be passed on in both these ways because the virus is present in the sexual fluids and blood of infected people. If infected blood or sexual fluid gets into your body, then you can become infected.

Top Notch
Top Notch 07/24/07 - 09:26 am
At the moment, scientific

At the moment, scientific opinion is pretty clear that you cannot become infected with HIV through kissing.

To become infected with HIV you must get a sufficient quantity of HIV into the bloodstream. Saliva does contain HIV, but the virus is only present in very small quantities and as such cannot cause HIV infection.

Unless both partners have large open sores in their mouths, or severely bleeding gums, there is no transmission risk from mouth-to-mouth kissing.

Sneezing, coughing, sharing glasses/cups, etc
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host, except under very extreme laboratory conditions. HIV does not survive well in the open air, and this makes the possibility of this type of environmental transmission remote. In practice no environmental transmission has been seen.

This means that HIV cannot be transmitted through spitting, sneezing, sharing glasses or musical instruments.

You also can't be infected in swimming pools, showers or by sharing washing machines or toilet seats.

FROM AVERTING HIV AND AIDS WEBSITE

Top Notch
Top Notch 07/24/07 - 09:27 am
So it looks like South

So it looks like South Augusta is safe (at least in this manner) again!

Inkjet
Inkjet 07/24/07 - 09:27 am
Okay, Idiot BOLO, South

Okay, Idiot BOLO, South Augusta - when you see that idiot...SWARM! SWARM! Everyone gather round them and cough!

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/24/07 - 09:32 am
rayharrod - I'd have to

rayharrod - I'd have to question your statement about being charged more by insurance companies because of living in a hazardous area. It makes sense - but we actually saved money by going with Geico a few months back, about $800 a year. Probably could save more if I moved over to the west side of town but then I'd pay more for my mortgage and have to fight the horrible traffic every day to work. No thanks, I like my quiet, slow paced life.

itamazezme
itamazezme 07/24/07 - 09:37 am
As for the whole South

As for the whole South Augusta vs. West Augusta and Col. Co. I have lived here in South Augusta for nearly 40 yrs and have not once had my property broken into or had any bad dealings with the ppl over here. But, a relative of mine who swears that Col. Co. is the best, was a victim of a home invasion this past year. Thankfully, no one was hurt. But, it just goes to show that no one, no matter where you live is immune from the bad apples.

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.