Rants and raves

Comments from our readers:

ABANDON SHIP, Republicans - grab your lifeboats! Capt. George W. Bush's Ship of State is foundering on the rocks and is headed for Davy Jones' locker. Even bilge rats have the instinct for self-preservation and will abandon a doomed vessel.

A RAVE for The Augusta Chronicle for getting rid of some of these lame cartoons. I wish we could have some of the classic ones we used to have. Keep on cutting the bad ones.

A RANT AGAINST the people that criticize this war. I wonder if they realize that the Carter administration didn't do any better. And President Clinton. President Bush finally did something when it comes to 9-11. Bush is doing something good, and other presidents did not.

IT WOULD BE SO NICE if someone would build an IHOP and a hotel on Tobacco Road.

I WAS WONDERING if anybody else in Augusta had noticed that Columbia County has a policeman on every corner that is ready to pull someone over for the smallest thing just to give them a ticket? Maybe we should put a sign on each end of the county and let people know that it is now a speed trap and to watch yourself.

CRYING BABIES and cell phone use are now OK at the Public Library Computer area. If you complain, one of the employees will make you look like the bad guy.

WORRYING ABOUT WHERE sex offenders live is pointless. Get our soft state Legislature to order castration for convicted offenders, and the problem is solved! We all know that recidivism is approximately 100 percent for these people.

A RANT TO ANY SALON that allows parents to leave their young children unattended in the lobby while they receive service.

Martinez
Martinez 07/19/07 - 04:26 am
To say castration will

To say castration will eliminate sexual offenses is the equivalent of saying that banning lighters will reduce tobacco smoking related illnesses or banning coat hangers will stop all auto thefts. Castration only eliminates one of the tools used by a sexual offender but certainly does nothing to change the person's mindset and sick desires.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/19/07 - 04:38 am
Abandon ship, good idea. I

Abandon ship, good idea. I intend to be off the boat by January 2009.

pofwe
pofwe 07/19/07 - 06:29 am
Castaration will eliminate

Castaration will eliminate serial sex offenders' recidivism. Amputation of fingers and/or hands will greatly curtail tobacco smoking related illnesses & auto thefts.

local girl
local girl 07/19/07 - 06:38 am
President Bush did something

President Bush did something alright,He went after the wrong people and the guilty are running free

berryoakley
berryoakley 07/19/07 - 06:53 am
People usually build

People usually build businesses where there is a lesser chance of getting shot or robbed, not in places like Tobacco Road.

NEone
NEone 07/19/07 - 06:59 am
Martinez is right.

Martinez is right. Castration only stops the method, not the anger. The perp will just use other means to express the rage and show of power, often worse than before. Sounds like a simple solution, but it's more simplistic than anything.

NEone
NEone 07/19/07 - 06:59 am
What's with the clock on this

What's with the clock on this thing today? It's 8:11 at my house.

rjay
rjay 07/19/07 - 07:17 am
berry, thank god that you

berry, thank god that you live in the best section of town. Where there is no crime at all and everyone walks around with big smiles on there face. you are one lucky dog. Maybe they should put up a fence to keep all the scum on the southside so people like you can live in your perfect place and all the lowlifes stay south of bobby jones

chelsea0512
chelsea0512 07/19/07 - 07:19 am
Whats up with saying Columbia

Whats up with saying Columbia Co. is a speed trap!? I go 65 in 55 zones all the time and don't get pulled over. Yes they are more likely to pull people over for speeding than busting up a fight or drug deal, BUT that's because Columbia is alot safer than Augusta and the Richmond area. Is it really Columbia County or the small town cops? I know a cop in our small columbia county town used to follow my boyfriend to the city limits sign every time he left my house, waiting for him to mess up.

myrtle
myrtle 07/19/07 - 07:21 am
I drive in Columbia County

I drive in Columbia County every day and I don't see a policeman on every corner waiting to write tickets like one writer suggested. Oh, wait, I obey the speed limit. Maybe that's why.

maktheknife
maktheknife 07/19/07 - 08:03 am
rjay, what does where berry

rjay, what does where berry live have anything to do with why businesses are reluctant to open on Tobacco road? If you ( the original ranter) want Ihop or motel to open up there, then buy a franchise and open it. I would love to see some businesses open up there, especially near the airport. It would be nice to be able to get some breakfast before I fly at 6 AM or be able to put up some business associates at a decent motel near the airport, but that isn't going to happen until things down there change. Maybe the renovations at the airport will help start that.

maktheknife
maktheknife 07/19/07 - 08:09 am
Oh my, an intelligent

Oh my, an intelligent response on sexual predators, is there a cold wave in the nether regions? Martinez and NEone, you have both hit it on the head. Most experts in this field agree that the sex in sexual predators has very little to do with why they do this. its about power and control. If you castrate, you simply remove one tool (pun intended), the predator will simply use something else to gain the power and control over their victim. I am sad to say that in most cases, even couselling has shown very poor results. Our society will not allow what really needs to be done to rid ourselves of this problem with chronic offenders.

reruns
reruns 07/19/07 - 08:10 am
i guess if people stop

i guess if people stop smoking and become obese i guess the next thing is to sew their mouth shut.

maktheknife
maktheknife 07/19/07 - 08:12 am
Abandon ship, its not just

Abandon ship, its not just Republicans, I remember the Democrats abandoning ship when their captain was in pretty hot water over Monicagate. Let just say that all poticians are the same, like their cousins, they will scurry away everytime they feel threatened.

blazing1
blazing1 07/19/07 - 08:13 am
Shame, Shame, Shame on the

Shame, Shame, Shame on the CSRA especially the city of Augusta, there was an important event which took place at the Augusta River Walk on yesterday. It amazed me that it wasn't highly published. The Chick-fil-A/Kyle Petty Charity Bike Ride received little or no press prior to them arriving in Augusta. When given an oppourtunity to show that Augusta can support something that is positive the city officials, news media and the community continue to fall short. I guess this wasn't important because it wasn't a black/white issue and nor was it about Augusta's favorite son Marion Williams. Again "SHAME" on you Augusta, once again you have proven that you are the "BIGGEST LOSER!"

reruns
reruns 07/19/07 - 08:16 am
Guess whati lived in South

Guess whati lived in South Augusta all my lifeup until 3 years ago. i never had a problem or issues living in htat nice quit less traffic county. But I moved to Columbia County within 6 months...my house was burglarized. The Fat lazy cops weren't going to do much until I expressed to them that it is my right to have an investigator. The fat lazy cop claimed that he patroled our area almost every day. That has been over a year now. Still haven't seen him patrol my area.

maktheknife
maktheknife 07/19/07 - 08:17 am
Rants to all those folks who

Rants to all those folks who did not vote on Tuesday! A 15% turnout is disgusting. If things turn out badly because of who is elected, don't blame them, blame yourself for not voting.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 07/19/07 - 08:17 am
Crying babies are a fact of

Crying babies are a fact of life, but cellphones in the library?? Something should be done about that. The employees there like to do their own little thing and do not appreciate any controversy (like having to speak to a patron about a problem). Cellphones should be banned at the library--or at least turned off so as not to disturb the people around you. I've noticed they also have a problem with time limits on the computers. Used to be that each person was given a certain time they were able to use the computers, but I've noticed some stay on for an hour or more, leaving other people to wait and wait. I don't know if these people have been given special permission or what but they are not working on any business or class work....mostly chat sites.At the main library downtown the trouble doesn't seem to be coming from the front desk but the desk by the computer area. The employees tend to be younger--high school age and can be quite "curt" with you.

reruns
reruns 07/19/07 - 08:20 am
I think the person that

I think the person that doesn't like children in the lobby of the salon should volunteer to babysit. Maybe they are military and have none to watch them or all of their family may be deceased. ATTENTION: Anyone who does not like children move to a secluded island and push the boat out to sea. By the way you may want to have evveryone 'fixed" so they don't have children on you precious kid free island. Futhermore, weren't you a chilld at one time or maybe you don't remeber because you were locked in a closet.

maktheknife
maktheknife 07/19/07 - 08:21 am
Kitty, if you don't live near

Kitty, if you don't live near a doughnut shop, how do you expect to have the police patrol in your area? If you want them to patrol get a cripsy cream or dunkin doughnut to open up in your neighborhood.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/19/07 - 08:31 am
good morning gang! IHOP and a

good morning gang! IHOP and a hotel [filtered word] thats random!

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 07/19/07 - 08:32 am
Has anyone noticed the RCSD

Has anyone noticed the RCSD patron cars each morning on Riverwatch Parkway for the last couple of weeks? They're on both sides of the parkway between Reynolds Street and Alexander Drive so you'd better watch your speed! PS--there are no doughnut shops on Riverwatch so it looks like they are just doing their jobs, huh?

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 07/19/07 - 08:35 am
You can take the IHOP in

You can take the IHOP in Evans...That place is a dump. The service is so bad,the food is okay but not worth the wait.We'll never go back. I live in columbia county and what corners are the cops on? If you go the speed limit you will not have a problem.

reruns
reruns 07/19/07 - 08:39 am
Oh don;t you know Goaliemom

Oh don;t you know Goaliemom it is in Columbia County so it has to be better.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/19/07 - 08:46 am
The IHOP in eveans is

The IHOP in eveans is horrible I agree, but I find it backwards goalie mom lol I only went there 2x and the service was good but the food we ordered was ready in about 2 minutes... talk about fast!! The problm was it was stone cold. Both times we went there.. They premake just about everything and obviously don't even stick them under heat lamps. I will never be back thats for sure.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/19/07 - 08:49 am
And to the speeder who got

And to the speeder who got caught....don't whine about police doin their job... just pay the ticket!!!! Don't speed and you wont even have this problem.

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 07/19/07 - 08:51 am
kittyboo, yeah I was a child

kittyboo, yeah I was a child at one time, but my parents taught me how to behave in a public place, alot of times these kids are running around, screaming, and tearing things up, and nothing is said to them

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 07/19/07 - 08:53 am
Gm crab

Gm crab

jdcooper
jdcooper 07/19/07 - 08:54 am
Blazing1.... I agree.. I

Blazing1.... I agree.. I didn't even know about it until I read it here.... a day late! (imagine THAT!)

maktheknife
maktheknife 07/19/07 - 08:56 am
Speeders, just be glad you

Speeders, just be glad you don't live in Virginia, those fines would wipe me out.