Rants and Raves

Comments from readers:

I REALIZE THE police force is short-staffed, but please enforce the laws regarding tinted windows, profanity in front of minors and noise control (loud stereos). This would solve a lot of quality of life and criminal mischief problems that are driving good people away from Richmond County.

A RANT TO those complaining about foreign language programs in schools. People in this area can't even speak their own language.

WHAT IS IT going to take to get some other form of a warning on the sharp curve on Old Belair Road? Flashing lights? There is a sharp curve sign there now, but it's not enough!

I AM AN ACTIVE member at the Family Y on Wheeler Road and have been for several years. They have had a string of vehicle robberies and they warn us of the danger with flyers. For what we pay a month, why don't they have security?

I WOULD LIKE to know why convicted murderer Renaldo Rivera is still in jail with the taxpayers paying his room and board for all these years.

THIS IS A RANT for Mayor Copenhaver. It's too bad the Signal Corps unit was leaving last week to go to Iraq for 15 months. Grovetown Mayor Trudeau was there, why wasn't Mayor Copenhaver? That was a big, big disappointment for all of us, including the troops.

THIS IS TO the person writing the letter about the Patriots Park Fourth of July event. The reason they didn't turn the lights on at the fairgrounds afterwards is because there was another fireworks show, as you should have written seeing as how you were obviously there. I, myself, parked at Patriots Park and I only arrived 15 minutes before the fireworks started. And there were plenty of parking places if you were there just to see the fireworks. Columbia County did a wonderful job.

COMMISSIONER MARION Williams lied about having a copy of Mr. Russell's computer hard drive. He lied to the sheriff. He lied to the commissioners. He lied to everyone else. He should be censured and removed.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves live at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

itamazezme
itamazezme 07/16/07 - 12:07 am
RE: I WOULD LIKE..... maybe

RE: I WOULD LIKE..... maybe I missed the story about this but your rant says "convicted murderer still in jail with taxpayers paying his room and board" Isn't that where he's supposed to be, Duh!!

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 07/16/07 - 03:09 am
Yeah really Ldybg, like

Yeah really Ldybg, like they're supposed to turn him loose till his trial in South Carolina. I wonder if the poster would be happier if he was moved to a house next door?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/16/07 - 04:15 am
re:language confusion. If the

re:language confusion. If the locals can't even speak English, why insist they learn another language. Wouldn't it be a good idea to learn English first?

Martinez
Martinez 07/16/07 - 04:24 am
I agree with the concerns

I agree with the concerns about the YMCA. There was an article the other day about membership far exceeding expectations which basically means they have far more revenue then expected too. I don't think it is unreasonable for the members to want parking lot security. Participation at the YMCA should not be discouraged based on vehicle robberies or any other kind of crime on-going on their property.

Jenn30907
Jenn30907 07/16/07 - 05:15 am
I believe the Rivera rant is

I believe the Rivera rant is questioning why he hasn't been executed yet. He asked for the death penalty, received it, and he's still waiting for it.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/16/07 - 05:17 am
People kill me with "they

People kill me with "they need to learn english first". Just because everyone doesn't speak like you, doesn't mean they aren't speaking english. Everyone doesn't speak like a grammar teacher, as is apparent from some posts in the Augusta Chronicle.

redapples
redapples 07/16/07 - 06:05 am
Mayor Copenhaver, if this is

Mayor Copenhaver, if this is true about the Signal unit deploying and neither you, nor your representative, attended, SHAME ON YOU!

getalife
getalife 07/16/07 - 06:35 am
Rivera asked for and received

Rivera asked for and received the death penalty!! The ranter is questioning why he is still taking up good space, air and taxpayer's money. Why wait for a trial in South Carolina, fry his [filtered word] for the murder in Augusta!!! He is doing nothing but manipulating the so-called justice system.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 07/16/07 - 06:51 am
Are we passed the Rivera

Are we passed the Rivera issue already.. because I think it's clear now that yes.. we are paying for his room and board.. So what's the concern now??? About the English.. they teach English in the schools and they do teach Spanish however the only difference is that English is a requirement and Spanish isn't. So what is the big deal??? I think I have the answer.. Close minded people.. that's what the deal is.. People that do not want to expand their education beyond the walls and English and the American history, this is why we have immigration has become an issue, among other things. Educate yourself!!!.. People!!.. Please!!.. There are adults classes available!

t of i
t of i 07/16/07 - 07:13 am
The concern behind the rant

The concern behind the rant is that Rivera asked for the death penalty and now is wasting taxpayer money by trying to appeal at the so-called request of his children. If you know how to post you should know how to search the archives for recent updated information that has led someone to bring up old news. If someone is ranting on something that is old news like the Rivera case, that is a clear clue that something must have sparked the rant.

Youre Kidding
Youre Kidding 07/16/07 - 07:33 am
Yeah, it's a shame Mayor

Yeah, it's a shame Mayor Copenhaver didn't show up for the Signal deployment but he was also the last one to show up at the convenient store last week when a tree fell and killed a man during the storm. You guys voted for him. When you put them in office, they bite hard don't they?

lepavilion
lepavilion 07/16/07 - 07:48 am
CHRISTINADH, you tell

CHRISTINADH, you tell everyone to educate themselves, but you type " are we PASSED the Rivera issue"????? I think you need to join those adult classes!

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/16/07 - 07:55 am
Hi folks! Hope everyone had a

Hi folks! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. Mine was too fast as usually!

t of i
t of i 07/16/07 - 07:56 am
I often wish I had the

I often wish I had the ability to be in several places at the same time.

spencmrr
spencmrr 07/16/07 - 08:02 am
who dis is lololol

who dis is lololol

t of i
t of i 07/16/07 - 08:15 am
ladydm, perhaps if you read

ladydm, perhaps if you read the posting about re "arena officials clash over fight" you might get a clue as to why the Mayor was late showing up. I would think you would consider it better for him to be trying to keep from losing something that would be important for Augustans than being on hand at a tragic incident where unfortunately one person was killed. You people in Augusta who keep things stirred up over petty issues such as not showing up at a convenience store need to mature. Being on hand for the deployment is different. If he couldn't be there due to scheduling problems and did not send a representative, he should have.

misscj0123
misscj0123 07/16/07 - 08:24 am
Did any of you show up for

Did any of you show up for the signal deployment? Who dis?

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/16/07 - 08:29 am
misscj: I signal you to find

misscj: I signal you to find me a douhnut!

smitty1861
smitty1861 07/16/07 - 08:30 am
I doubt having tinted windows

I doubt having tinted windows means you are a criminal.

misscj0123
misscj0123 07/16/07 - 08:35 am
yeah smitty...I was thinking

yeah smitty...I was thinking that if the comments made on that particular rant are the worse things that go on in Richmond county, then things are not so bad there after all. Once again...who's dis??

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/16/07 - 08:36 am
Sorry Crabcakes I couldn't

Sorry Crabcakes I couldn't see your signal for the tinted windows.
Here's your doughnut!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/16/07 - 08:37 am
Who Dat?

Who Dat?

misscj0123
misscj0123 07/16/07 - 08:37 am
i would thnk that the

i would thnk that the crimical activities that go on are something to get more upset over.

Its 5oclock somewhere
Its 5oclock somewhere 07/16/07 - 08:40 am
Who dat say who dat when I

Who dat say who dat when I say who dat?

kudzunroses
kudzunroses 07/16/07 - 08:43 am
crimical?.....is that a word

crimical?.....is that a word to describe the criminally funny?...I like it !!

kudzunroses
kudzunroses 07/16/07 - 08:47 am
where you is?

where you is?

misscj0123
misscj0123 07/16/07 - 08:50 am
Well actually...I misspelled

Well actually...I misspelled the word criminal. And to think, I took English classes in school and received good grades. LOL

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/16/07 - 08:50 am
who dat!

who dat!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/16/07 - 08:50 am
This is me, Is that You?

This is me, Is that You?

misscj0123
misscj0123 07/16/07 - 08:53 am
I think the worst CRIMICAL

I think the worst CRIMICAL activity to take place in 2007 was stealing the LAST donut. Horrible, just horrible. Devastating!

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...