Rants and raves

Comments from our readers

TO THE ELECTED mayor and city officials, we the citizens are concerned with the lack of cleanliness of our city. We elected you because we thought you cared about the city and its appearance. We have laws in place that are not being followed by business owners, and those same laws are not being enforced by city officials. The managers of our city departments are not holding these employees accountable for the job they do as far as "cleaning" the city. Instead of raising taxes, make DUI and indecent exposure violators perform community service such as picking up litter on the side of the roads.

THIS IS A RANT for the Augusta Commission for once more failing to approve the building of the convention center. The Marriott Hotel Corp. is one of the most respected in the hospitality management industry and would perform in a manner which would bring conventions to Augusta. They will not do it gratis. And if you want a first-class operation, you must pay for a first-class operation. In the meantime, building costs are going up and they will be unable to build the convention center for the allocated monies. Please, commissioners, do something.

A RANT TO THE U.S. Postal Service in Martinez. For two years, my mailbox door has not been shut by the postal worker. For this amount of time I have had my mail be wet, people drive by on a busy street next to mine and have the door open for anyone to stop and look in my mailbox.

THE GEORGIA STATE lottery is fast becoming a scam. It beats so many people in Georgia out of so much money. And they do not allow jackpot winners to be from Georgia. They're always from up North or out West. I say, save your money. It's worse than the payday lenders in Georgia.

SOUTH AUGUSTA is not a slum. Crime happens everywhere, including downtown Augusta, and the city insists on putting everything down there. There are a number of businesses that have been in south Augusta for 40-50 years, Sconyers, T's Restaurant, Barney's Pharmacy, and the late Jim Watson, who founded Sunbelt Nissan, lived off Peach Orchard and Windsor Spring roads until he died. And as far as I know, his widow still lives there. I'm sure they could've lived in West Lake if they'd wanted to.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augustachronicle.com.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 07/14/07 - 04:23 am
Amen Jake. Just say no to

Amen Jake. Just say no to crack!

NANF
NANF 07/14/07 - 06:50 am
. Their brain needs a little

. Their brain needs a little air sometimes.

redapples
redapples 07/14/07 - 08:31 am
AMEN to the complaint about

AMEN to the complaint about the mailbox door not being shut! I also live on a busy street in Martinez and have had the same issue! No one at the post office seems to care, but I do!

shedaisy
shedaisy 07/14/07 - 08:36 am
LOL, Jake! That would not be

LOL, Jake! That would not be a pretty site. The ranter needs to look at it this way. A handful of community service workers v. all those people who throw out the trash. Only a handful can do so much. Time they do pick up the trash, twice as much is thrown back down. I know these litter bugs know what a trash can is, they are just to lazy to use one.

I4Putt2007
I4Putt2007 07/14/07 - 08:45 am
One of the absolute best

One of the absolute best restaurants in Augusta is located on the south side of town. Villa Europa. I have suggested it many times to guests from out of town. I almost always get the same response. Man the food and service was really great but........... that is one scary area. I know there are lots of fine folks who live there, however, that does not change all of the negative things said about South Augusta. Certainly crime can happen anywhere. But this area continues to get worse each year. Businesses will continue to avoid it like the plague as they do East Augusta. The river stops growth to the north, which is why we see all the growth in West Augusta. Again, there are lots of good folks on the south side, but until things change greatly, and I don't think they will, people will continue to flock to other parts of town.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/14/07 - 09:08 am
You are right shedaisy..

You are right shedaisy.. that's why I think they should make the jailbirds do it.... They should be doing something while they are in there!!! lol We got alot of them!! The last few times I called about witnessing people throw their leftover drive through bags out on the highway and got their tag # the officer told me, they will contact them and let them know someone reported seeing them do it, but more than likelty won't get fined because they will deny it... but maybe it will make them think twice before doing it again!!!! MY FOOT!!!!!!! A Big fat fine would have done it!!!! I am a witness!!! I think it was just to much paperwork or something it happened a couple time, both in RC. So when the community does help nothing really gets done.

shedaisy
shedaisy 07/14/07 - 09:55 am
TakeAstand, I know what you

TakeAstand, I know what you are saying. Another reason that really makes me angry too is when people throw their food bags out in the middle of the street then you see a animal try to pick the food crumbs from the bag, thereby putting the animal in harms way to be hit. But, the main issue is lack of respect for the community, and just plain sorryness. My neighbors that are moving have their trash all in their yard, and it is trickling out into the street. There are four trach cans by theie driveway, and none of them have trash in them (I know I threw away my trash this morning). I say fine them too, and show no mercy!

oldenuff2nobetter
oldenuff2nobetter 07/14/07 - 10:02 am
I think maybe the South

I think maybe the South Augusta should annex with Hephzibah and break away from Augusta-Richmond County Government.

shedaisy
shedaisy 07/14/07 - 10:03 am
To the one who said South

To the one who said South Augusta is not a slum, you need to come look at my neighborhood. It used to be so nice over here, but changed dramatically in the last year or so. There are some areas in S. Augusta that are nice. Where I live I hear gun shots about everyday, and the neighbors keep their yards trashed. I hate to say it, but it is also looking like the ghetto. There are five mobile homes where I live (mini-park I guess you could say), and I live in the very back. The people next to me owned several pit bulls, and needless to say they did not like it when I called the police on them when they shot and killed a dog that someone had left behind. I am so glad they moved last week, but their 15 family members up front are trashing the street, and their yard. Come to find out they were all from Louisana who lost everything, but received money every month for their rent, and food (welfare). Now that those funds have exhausted they are all moving. I say good ridance! If there any mispelled words, please forgive me. I worked all night and haven't had any sleep yet.

shedaisy
shedaisy 07/14/07 - 10:06 am
Not sure truckguy, but I do

Not sure truckguy, but I do know S. Augusta is starting to look bad. Maybe it is because it is cheaper to live in this part of town. I'm thinking about joining the hillbillies in Burke Co. LOL Oh no, I may get heat from this comment. At least I would have a better chance at fitting in.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/14/07 - 10:56 am
to the poster whining about

to the poster whining about not winning the lottery. DON'T PLAY. The lottery is a tax on the poor and the stupid, but only the players are winners. What a dilemma.

condelieeza
condelieeza 07/14/07 - 12:20 pm
play the lottery, make me

play the lottery, make me rich

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/14/07 - 01:58 pm
I agree shedaisy.. I myself

I agree shedaisy.. I myself have wondered how much of the scum we got from N.O. I really want to help the victims that need it... but given the rise in crime the past couple years.. I really wonder if they are Augusta Natives.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/14/07 - 02:08 pm
I think the games the ranter

I think the games the ranter is refering to are not just GA lottso... many states participate. No one forces anyone to play.. it may be tempting... but then again so is a big mac... but just because you cant control yourself does not mean they should close down all the Mickey D's. It also pays for alot of those same poor students education. Everyone wants to hit the lotto... but if you cant afford the recreation of it don't play. To many poor people blow their money on it and it makes them even more broke... but it is their addiction to seek help for.

oldenuff2nobetter
oldenuff2nobetter 07/14/07 - 02:59 pm
Look, shedaisy, good schools

Look, shedaisy, good schools will bring the right type of people in your area. Maybe if you folks did like the people in Greene County and start a private school?This would attract residents and business.

kudzunroses
kudzunroses 07/14/07 - 04:57 pm
come on you guys call a spade

come on you guys call a spade a spade.....we all know that when certain groups move into an area the said area becomes a slum....does that make me racist...of course it does but facts is facts .Call it what it is.......

str8truth
str8truth 07/14/07 - 05:46 pm
"Holly" elaborate a

"Holly" elaborate a little...certain groups could be white, black or whatever. When you have people that take advantage of the system it comes in various colors. It is unfortunate but true. If you fail to work, rely on government assistance, have no pride in yourself or where you live, allow your children to run rampant and don't teach them respect and common courtesy....all the things have an adverse affect on a community regardless of color. You ....we have to instill in our children a desire to succeed, so they want and have better than what we have...we are all responsible for breaking the cycle! Get involved in the school system and in your childrens lives...know their whereabouts and who they associate....an old addage says spare the rod and spoil the child and it rings true.....hold yourselves and your children accountable for your actions. Again I reiterate.....IT IS TIME TO WAKE UP!

white lady
white lady 07/14/07 - 09:36 pm
Holly who exactly move in &

Holly who exactly move in & when did they move in. South augusta has gated communites i know you dont think these neighborhoods are slums. I hear gun shots in west augusta alot, that doesnt make me less safe. Everywhere in augusta has every race even if only a little it still does. It does make u racist because middle class blacks & wealthy would be very angry if you said they move in somewhere in becomes a slum. Now if you repharse that to working poor or just poor ppl hey we could agree. I noticed the trailer parks in south augusta you havent nothing to say about. I guess you just have to deal with it since, ga hispanic population is growing very fast. Also GA has the highest percentage of blacks in one state.

presnalboy
presnalboy 07/14/07 - 11:29 pm
The lottery really is for

The lottery really is for suckers. Statistically, you are more likely to get killed in an automobile accident driving to the store to buy a ticket than you are to win the jackpot.

t of i
t of i 07/14/07 - 11:52 pm
blackisraelite, I have held

blackisraelite, I have held off until now. You have some sort of chip on your shoulder. Your parents are educated, a judge and a lawyer in Atlanta, you are a sophomore at Augusta State, and you said you would would be a judge some day. You bragged about being able to buy designer clothes. Go for it. But please, study the English language or learn to type better. What you say and how you say it just doesn't go together. And you had better get rid of that shoulder chip. I bet your parents don't have that chip.

dani
dani 07/15/07 - 12:49 am
PLEASE!!!! ---- Why does so

PLEASE!!!!

----
Why does so many people continue to write a lot as one word. It is TWO words.
There is no such word as alot.