Rants and Raves

Comments from readers:

COME ON, SYLVIA, give Tax Commissioner Jerry Saul a break. It's a long drive from Brandon Wilde to the office at the Marble Palace every day.

IN RESPONSE to the rant about the fishing tournament on July 4th at Wildwood Park: This boater really has a lot to talk about. He is probably one of those once-a-year boaters and has no idea about Clarks Hill or Wildwood Park. This lake is supported by our local fishermen. I wonder how much this boater supports Columbia County or Wildwood Park. What he needs to do is take up fishing and keep his smart remarks to himself.

THE MONUMENTS in town are places of honor, which should not be defaced by skateboarders. The boys should have been reprimanded, not featured in the newspaper.

ENOUGH WITH the complaints against the state mental health services! Yes, there's room for improvement, but instead of griping, how about coming out to the front lines and asking how you can help? Physical, environmental and moral support would be appreciated for the people who are taking care of your families and friends.

THIS IS A RAVE for whoever was responsible for cleaning the gang graffiti off the buildings on Laney-Walker Boulevard.

A RANT TO THE PEOPLE who leave their yard sale signs up for a year. Are you really that lazy to go pick them up? It looks very trashy and confuses people trying to find an actual sale. It's OK to put them up to have your sale, but take them down afterwards.

A RANT FOR THOSE who leave buggies in the parking lot to roll into other people's cars. I so hope someone causes damage to your cars in return. See if you like it. They should really start ticketing people with big fines for leaving them because by the time you see your damage they have already left. Maybe heavy fines will make people put them up.

A HUGE RANT to an employee of a local exterminator who took my earrings, a birthday gift from my husband many years ago. Now you have them, and I do not. A huge rave for you if you will put them in an envelope and leave them on our front porch - no questions asked.

NEVER INVEST in an organization that cannot grow its chief executives from within. The Richmond County school system and the Medical College of Georgia are on a downhill treadmill.

Martinez
Martinez 07/12/07 - 07:11 am
I disagree... and find it

I disagree... and find it refreshing that RCSB and MCG looked outside of their own organizations. Making changes, especially improvements, often takes fresh ideas and people with varying experiences. Looking inside only is narrow minded and often does nothing more then maintain the status quo.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/12/07 - 07:33 am
Martinez, your comment is

Martinez, your comment is common among large companies, hire from outside. It demoralizes your current workforce and they become less and less productive. Most companies have very good people who have the same ideas but they look elsewhere for the promotions rather than bring them up through the ranks. The most successful companies promote from within, and provide more than the standard benefits for their employees. In return these employees give 110% and continue to make these companies successful.

NANF
NANF 07/12/07 - 07:36 am
By NOT going outside the area

By NOT going outside the area for new people is an old Augusta tradition. Keep on inbreeding and die a little each generation. Never make progress. Ever wonder why other places, like Aiken, for example , are so far ahead of Augusta? Or Columbia Co? New people, new ideas and the nerve to listen. Augusta is only interested in the same ole, same ole. Augusta votes the " he ain't from around here " attitude. And it ( ain't ) likely to change. Therefore, no change=comfort zone=decay=Augusta.

what
what 07/12/07 - 07:46 am
I agree that getting your car

I agree that getting your car dinged up b/c someone is too lazy to put their buggy away is aggravating. However, this is something that cannot be monitored.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/12/07 - 08:44 am
Generally if you raise a big

Generally if you raise a big enough stink if a buggy hits your car and is still there as proof, the store will pay for any damages. Good morning lovely people.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/12/07 - 08:50 am
I may not have been clear, it

I may not have been clear, it pays to recruit from other areas, and hire in from other areas, just utilize the talent and abilities you hire in and promote from this pool. Too many companies stifle this knowledge and creativity with the "This is how we've always done it", and therefore don't realize the added profits and savings a new idea can bring to them. If you keep these people down and go outside to hire managers and executives you demoralize them and then you wind up with the ARC mentality, or the Williams complex!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/12/07 - 08:52 am
And no I don't have a degree

And no I don't have a degree in Business Administration, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!

KingJames
KingJames 07/12/07 - 09:07 am
Hiring outsiders to become

Hiring outsiders to become part of an organization is an acceptable way to do business, and happens more frequently than folks in Augusta seem to realize. A lot of people don't understand that there are certain minimal requirements that potential job candidates have to meet in order to even be considered for a position. If homegrown applicants don't meet those requirements or choose not to apply for the position, then an organization has to hire outsiders. Besides that, hiring or promoting someone just because they have been with a certain organization such as a school system for a long time doesn't necessarily mean that person is qualified to do the job. Instead of throwing a fit about it, people should be glad that the best candidate for any job was selected so that that person can be productive. Who knows, an outsider with fresh ideas may actually expand the school system and be able to increase pay, hire more teachers, and buy better materials to further our children's education a lot better and quicker than an insider with the same ideas on doing business that have been around for decades.

whatever1
whatever1 07/12/07 - 09:17 am
A lot of times companies hire

A lot of times companies hire from the outside in order not to pay a higher salary. I have seen it many times--being in accounting I see the numbers and know the salaries. I have seen several times when internal candidates making $100K are up for a position and within the salary range but would require a boast in pay per company policy. The company will hire someone say at $90K from the outside--on several occasions this was the wrong decision and the company suffered during the tenure of the outsider. Many times it is about money plain and simple.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 07/12/07 - 09:20 am
What was the comment about

What was the comment about the fishing tournament? I missed that one. By the way the lake is supported by ALL taxpayers!

kokousa
kokousa 07/12/07 - 10:14 am
test

test

tusmooth1
tusmooth1 07/12/07 - 10:35 am
Are we talking about the

Are we talking about the Confederate monuments that are a slap in the face to all who was against the souths "So called Struggle"....I hope they are removed one day. The only place I know that has a monument saying the white something and a James Brown statue on the same street....lol....Augusta, Georgia.

Daddyrabbit
Daddyrabbit 07/12/07 - 11:09 am
tusmooth1, be advised the

tusmooth1, be advised the South's withdrawal from the union was legal and constitutional. Any act of agression by the states that elected to remain in the union was an act of war. Please LEAVE if you don't like it! If you are so intent on changing the South..... Just don't go away mad...just go away. Delta doesn't care who you are, they'll take you where ever you want to go. These monuments are a tribute to the fallen who stood up and fought for a cause they and their neighbors believed in. A noble cause I might add as slavery no matter how wrong had absolutely nothing to do with the war!

tusmooth1
tusmooth1 07/12/07 - 11:20 am
Come on slavery was apart of

Come on slavery was apart of the formula that led to the war, let me say this; I would get mad if my entire way of living was smashed to pieces which is what happened to the farmers of the south when slavery was abolished but how could anyone treat anyone else like that. I think that AMERICA would have been just fine if we all could have gotten along from the start instead of one group thinking they were more inferior to another and making us slaves instead of partners. Dont worry also DADDYRABBIT I'm leaving Augusta soon enough just like every other person here who hates the mall, the government and all the division this city has to offer.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/12/07 - 11:27 am
I am curious about the boat

I am curious about the boat fishing rant thing too. Where is it? And the mental health complainer... I missed em both. And OMG yes Sometimes I want to take peoples 6 month old yard sale signs (usually more than 1) rip it into a thousand pieces and throw it on their front lawn. And as far as buggy leavers........ They make me sick. If the would get tickets, I would take my cellphone record them and turn their tag in if I thought they would get fined. Yeah pushing the buggy an exta 15 feet into the buggy bin is just way to much to ask isn't it. This problem I thought had no boundaries...women men black white gay straight... a million people do it every day all the time constanlty my whole life at every store I have even been at. Then I Started going to publixin martinez (i never shopped there before) and in the past year I have yet to have a problem. Not to say I have never seen one left, but I can't remember one. I wonder is it just the store policy and good employees being that ontop of the buggys?? What is their secret!!!! lmaooooo

illini
illini 07/12/07 - 11:55 am
DaddyRabbit, you have some

DaddyRabbit, you have some warped reasoning. That's OK. As soon as enough Northerners locate to the southern states, the attitude will quickly be changed and old rednecks still arguing about the Civil War will be forgotten. You've had 140 years to fix everything and it's still screwed up.

NANF
NANF 07/12/07 - 11:56 am
. Your right tusmooth1. A

. Your right tusmooth1. A way of life was smashed to pieces. But, it's only because people wouldn't get off their sorry behinds and pick up the pieces. Now that immigration reform is in the near future, I can see the same thing happening. Betcha' we won't be able to find an apple under 2.00 before long and it's gonna get worse before it gets better. The migrant workers do us a huge service, as the slaves did, in their time. and up untill now, they've been looked down on and taken advantage of. Yes, there is a parrellel here, like it or not. The farmers will have to respect the workers or do without workers. Same as before.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/12/07 - 12:14 pm
illini and tusmooth, ya'll

illini and tusmooth, ya'll seem to have missed the fact that northerners owned and worked just as many slaves as southerners did. As for minorities, in the near future you will be in for a shock. Just look back to the black movement of the 50's and the current movement of the hispanics and you'll see the parrallels.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/12/07 - 12:39 pm
Where is everyone???????I

Where is everyone???????I didn't have much to read when I came in and we have done the race thing to death hahahaha!!!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 07/12/07 - 12:40 pm
But Beach I agree with you

But Beach I agree with you 100%... well put to sum it up!!!!

mgroothand
mgroothand 07/12/07 - 12:56 pm
Regarding the hiring from

Regarding the hiring from outside for fresh thinking and new ideas: Remember the old saying "Incest is best when kept in the family".

rjay
rjay 07/12/07 - 01:13 pm
and tu stupid( i mean

and tu stupid( i mean tusmooth) you need to take hating ways and leave, people like are the trouble makers ,because you didn't get yours. please take your kind( all haters ) with you!!!!!!!!!

rjay
rjay 07/12/07 - 01:16 pm
illini, you have slso had 140

illini, you have slso had 140 years to change things but it's still the white man fault that you do not have what you are owed. just what the hell are do you think would be a fair settlement

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/12/07 - 01:28 pm
Anybody see today's online

Anybody see today's online poll? Where was the both option?

sanders20
sanders20 07/12/07 - 01:39 pm
gents...please teach you

gents...please teach you women to how to drive

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/12/07 - 02:01 pm
women how to drive??? they

women how to drive??? they should be in the kitchen barefoot cooking me crabcakes!! just joking ladies!! how is everyone today post have been slow, yes lets stay away from the race thing today. I almost blew a gasket when I got stuck on Riverwatch yesterday at 5!

john
john 07/12/07 - 02:06 pm
Sanders, please teach uself

Sanders, please teach uself english

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/12/07 - 02:08 pm
yea Engwish pwease fur the

yea Engwish pwease fur the sake of grammur!

kiddspur
kiddspur 07/12/07 - 02:12 pm
Hey any of you ALL WANT A

Hey any of you ALL WANT A mint julip -- that will make the yankees realize the is South ain't that bad??????????

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/12/07 - 02:17 pm
I would love a Martini NOW!

I would love a Martini NOW!

Marijuana-based drug works differently

Georgia Regents University and the state of Georgia have worked for months to land a marijuana-derived drug clinical trial for children with difficult seizure disorders.