Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

TO THE COMMENT ABOUT more people watching the Paris Hilton interview on Larry King than watched the presidential debates: I am in no way a fan of Paris Hilton, but maybe people are not ready for 2008 presidential debates in 2007.

WE HAVE A BIG problem with Augusta Mall and all the groups of people that walk around three and four wide. I shop at the mall at least two times a week. But after my experiences yesterday, I think it will be awhile be for I go back. The mall's operators need to get a handle on it so true shoppers feel safe and can shop in peace.

IN RESPONSE TO your statement, "Wouldn't if be nice if someone put a Chick-Fil-A or Starbucks in south Augusta?": It won't happen because of crime. Look around. Businesses are leaving south Augusta because it is a slum. No business person in his right mind would locate there.

THIS IS A RANT for the division of the Augusta area. There is many quality food and retail establishments on the west side, and the west side continues to grow. Why doesn't the commission work towards building the south side area by finding incentives to bring higher quality retail and food establishments to the south side? I think it would be better than driving all the way to Columbia County to spend our tax dollars for quality services.

I WENT TO the July 4th celebration at Patriots Park and was very upset to see that they didn't raise the flag until after dark and after the fireworks started. That ruined my whole night. What does that say about how proud our community is for all of our fallen solders and the ones still fighting for our freedom?

If you have an opinion you want to share, call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax 722-7403 or e-mail newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 07/11/07 - 03:25 pm
You know....I've never

You know....I've never figured out why the Sheriff's Dept cannot just arrest someone who commited a crime. Why does the victim have to go to 3rd Street and pay money to swear out a warrant for that person....even though the person is already in police custody? That just doesn't make sense. And they are so ugly to you down there. I feel like saying "Hey...I'm the victim here! I don't know this person so how do I know their date of birth and social security number??"

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/11/07 - 03:47 pm
You want to know why, cause

You want to know why, cause they dont want to do any paperwork if they don't have to, would you? But you're right they are rude a lot and make it a hassle for you.

a2
a2 07/11/07 - 04:10 pm
gaonmymind, tell me aagain

gaonmymind, tell me aagain what happened with your mother? Was she a salesclerk in the store or was she security?

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 07/11/07 - 04:38 pm
To whoever wanted to know

To whoever wanted to know what happened to "Southern hospitality"...less than 50% of people in the South are native born Southerners. People from up North and Florida are taking over. I don't consider Florida part of the South anymore. Too many Yankees there.

0430 07/11/07 - 05:35 pm
To the person that said, no

To the person that said, no one would want to put a business is South Augusta because crime and it is the slum. I would remind you that West Augusta is only a few minutes away. Be aware, we visit West Augusta both night and day. :)

minnesota
minnesota 07/11/07 - 05:39 pm
The reason there arent many

The reason there arent many establischments in s.augusta .Do you see what there have to hire? Highschool dropouts and welfare moms.

white lady
white lady 07/11/07 - 05:42 pm
To BONE & NO GOOD REASON

To BONE & NO GOOD REASON Augusta consolidated just like columbus & athens so whats your point. To no good reason, augusta didnt take over RC entirely because the 210,000 doesnt include Hephzibah 6 or 7,000 ppl, Blythe 1,000 ppl, & Gracewood hundreds of ppl. To bone, augusta will be the place to live thats why ppl moving downtown like never before, why are so many 100 to 300k houses being built towards hephzibah whit many being gated communites. Why is west augusta more dense than evans, belair rd & jimmie dyess pkwy in richmond county there is a new neighborhood being built everday. The suburbs may be nice but west augusta is still the city hotspot. You know how i know that because augusta mall, the forum, the costco shopping center, augusta west, bobby jones shopping center(Sam's is), augusa exchange, & the riverwatch mall will be or are already in west richmond county. Wow augusta still pretty good no

white lady
white lady 07/11/07 - 05:56 pm
To minnesota alot of ppl that

To minnesota alot of ppl that live in south augusta do have degrees you know. I doubt those kids who parents live in goshen, walton acres, walton farms, diamond lakes, pepperidge, or anywhere else are dropouts or parents are on welfare. I know alot of ppl parents in south augusta make more than you.

t of i
t of i 07/11/07 - 06:16 pm
BI, Aiken and immediate

BI, Aiken and immediate surrounds on Aiken services is more like 65,000 plus, FYI. That does not include the people between Aiken and North Augusta in the incorporated and unincorporated Valley.

minnesota
minnesota 07/11/07 - 06:57 pm
i thought very seriously that

i thought very seriously that there make more than me not living in those neighborhoods you named.be for real blackis.,

white lady
white lady 07/11/07 - 07:02 pm
where do you stay minnesota

where do you stay minnesota since you make so much money it better be more than 250,000 because if not i goin to laugh they way you are talking

white lady
white lady 07/11/07 - 07:02 pm
where do you stay minnesota

white lady
white lady 07/11/07 - 07:03 pm
danny 4 since you change your

danny 4 since you change your name i see

t of i
t of i 07/11/07 - 07:04 pm
What?

What?

t of i
t of i 07/11/07 - 07:09 pm
Can someone tell me what

Can someone tell me what blackisraelite is trying to say?

minnesota
minnesota 07/11/07 - 07:13 pm
nothing ,she is so annoying

nothing ,she is so annoying with her 5th grade education education.

minnesota
minnesota 07/11/07 - 07:19 pm
This is for blackis.Continue

This is for blackis.Continue bringen me your little check I own the store you are shopping in.

white lady
white lady 07/11/07 - 07:59 pm
Stop lying minnesota, danny

Stop lying minnesota, danny 4, or whateva your name is. You have change you name about 4 times in a row. Minnesota i dont shop at meth houses i get things by celebrity designers.. My mom & dad stay in atlanta you know where the richest black ppl in the united states live. My dad is a judge & my mom is a lawyer, & MINNESOTA YOU DONT OWN BLOOMIES, NEIMANS & MARCUS, GUCCI, SAKS, OR ANYTHING OTHER STORE. As a sophmore at augusta state i doubt my check will be little since i will probably be your judge someday minnesota. I wont hold any grudges againts you though.

heartablazing69
heartablazing69 07/11/07 - 08:03 pm
I live in Columbia County and

I live in Columbia County and have lived in South Augusta. South Augusta is okay if you live in the sticks, or have grown up there. Get rid of some of these horrid looking trailer parks with busted windows isulation falling out of the bottom or burned out trailers sitting among occupied trailers.Maybe just then it won't look trashy. Don't you folks realize big business executives ride areas for places to open new stores?? When it looks trashy, you bet they keep going.

daninicole
daninicole 07/11/07 - 10:17 pm
I will not stop shopping at

I will not stop shopping at the Augusta Mall (I mean what are my other options), but I do agree with you all. It is getting out of hand. Young children are getting dropped off without supervision and making the shopping experience for everyone else a headache. It is all races who are acting up at the mall. The key word is teenager, regardless of color. And no I am not some old woman who is scared of every person under 21. I am 25 years old and not long ago I was hanging out at the mall on the weekend but I was in no way acting like these lil hoodlums are acting now. I am an educator and the more time I spend in the education field the more that I am all for year round school. As I heard recently someone say in support for year round school "Keep them in all year cause when it gets hot, they get stupid"

Health care cost worries lock out substitutes

A decision on limiting hours of part-time Richmond County school employees to offset anticipated health care costs has been rescinded, but the mistake caused confusion and cost some substitute ...