Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

TO THE COMMENT ABOUT more people watching the Paris Hilton interview on Larry King than watched the presidential debates: I am in no way a fan of Paris Hilton, but maybe people are not ready for 2008 presidential debates in 2007.

WE HAVE A BIG problem with Augusta Mall and all the groups of people that walk around three and four wide. I shop at the mall at least two times a week. But after my experiences yesterday, I think it will be awhile be for I go back. The mall's operators need to get a handle on it so true shoppers feel safe and can shop in peace.

IN RESPONSE TO your statement, "Wouldn't if be nice if someone put a Chick-Fil-A or Starbucks in south Augusta?": It won't happen because of crime. Look around. Businesses are leaving south Augusta because it is a slum. No business person in his right mind would locate there.

THIS IS A RANT for the division of the Augusta area. There is many quality food and retail establishments on the west side, and the west side continues to grow. Why doesn't the commission work towards building the south side area by finding incentives to bring higher quality retail and food establishments to the south side? I think it would be better than driving all the way to Columbia County to spend our tax dollars for quality services.

I WENT TO the July 4th celebration at Patriots Park and was very upset to see that they didn't raise the flag until after dark and after the fireworks started. That ruined my whole night. What does that say about how proud our community is for all of our fallen solders and the ones still fighting for our freedom?

If you have an opinion you want to share, call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax 722-7403 or e-mail newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

intheknow
intheknow 07/11/07 - 02:47 pm
Why did you feel the need to

Why did you feel the need to bring race into the discussion? I do not have to read a newspaper to know that there has NOT been any recent carjackings or muggings, at Augusta Mall. And if you had over 150 sores, in one location, you would expect to see the RCSD there a lot. Bottom line is, you are a hell of a lot safer at the mall, than you are at the local clubs.

bone
bone 07/11/07 - 02:49 pm
always a pleasure to read

always a pleasure to read your brilliant posts, blackisraelite. augusta pulled a fast one a few years ago with consolidation to protect its population base, but the surrounding areas are becoming more affluent/populous with each passing day. people may continue to use augusta/richmond co. as a party area, but most will continue to choose to live elsewhere.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/11/07 - 02:50 pm
Israelite no one is afraid of

Israelite no one is afraid of people for the way they dress, it's the way they act, treat others and speak with obscene language.
I don't fear them, I just don't want to answer charges for doing what their parents should be doing!

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 02:56 pm
intheknow I agree with you,

intheknow I agree with you, but a lot is NOT published in the papers that happens at the mall so many people dont know about it.

itamazezme
itamazezme 07/11/07 - 02:57 pm
all I'm seeing is that most

all I'm seeing is that most of you want a good safe place for the kids to go and hang out at a reasonable price. why doesn't our mayor and the commisioners lobby for some miniature golf, skating rink, bowling, arcade, etc, etc. for the kids to go to that is not on the other side of town.

NoGoodReason
NoGoodReason 07/11/07 - 02:59 pm
Yeah Augusta has 1 mall and

Yeah Augusta has 1 mall and can't control it.. ATL has atleast 3 malls within a 10 miles radis of where I worked and lived. I lived in Sandy Springs and it was considered part of ATL. after all my mailing address was ATL GA 30350. Augusta didn't have squat until it took RC over entierly, and that was so they could look like a bigger city. I want to say that groverment money is based on how people live in that area and the more people you have you get a bigger peice of the pie. If I remember correctly that was their logic behind it anyway. I could be wrong though. I guess they should have come out and said hey you guys we want you to be part of the city and pay those higher taxes, but we will neglect you when every thing is said and done.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 03:17 pm
Has anyone heard if Hot Foods

Has anyone heard if Hot Foods by Calvin is going to open back up?

NoGoodReason
NoGoodReason 07/11/07 - 03:19 pm
I heard that they were not

I heard that they were not going to re-open in light of the recent trouble Calvin has having....

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 03:24 pm
That sucks, man that guy

That sucks, man that guy could cook!

psychobetty
psychobetty 07/11/07 - 03:26 pm
What trouble is Calvin

What trouble is Calvin having? I didn't realized they closed- did both locations close? I loved their food and Calvin was very nice and welcoming.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 03:29 pm
cocaine pos, bad checks, and

cocaine pos, bad checks, and something else I think. yes both locations closed.

turtles
turtles 07/11/07 - 03:30 pm
I know Regency Mall SHOULD

I know Regency Mall SHOULD have closed, but it's sad that I wish it hadn't. The crowd who hung out there are slowly coming to the Augusta Mall.. It's SCARY.

critter
critter 07/11/07 - 03:41 pm
Never had a problem with

Never had a problem with Augusta Mall or South Augusta for that matter, been to both plenty of times. I'll have to look out for pirates next time I'm at the mall, tho!

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 03:42 pm
arrrrrrrrr wheres me critter

arrrrrrrrr wheres me critter why do I think that is so funny? Simple mind, simple humor.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 03:45 pm
Look at the last 3 posts,

Look at the last 3 posts, crab,turtles,critter. I am starting a trend.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/11/07 - 03:52 pm
Is there a way to change your

Is there a way to change your handle without starting a new profile ... I think I'm going to change mine to Sauroposeidon&futbol

NoGoodReason
NoGoodReason 07/11/07 - 03:52 pm
I know how we can clean up

I know how we can clean up the southside.. Drag all those jail birds out of their cells and put their [filtered word] to work picking up trash along the road, cutting grass along the hwy etc.. Heck after all we feed and cloth them while they are in jail, so they should be made to earn their keep. We have to earn the money needed to feed and cloth ourselfs. Put shock collars on all of them, so they step out of line while out in public they'll truly get the shock of their life...

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 03:56 pm
futbol Que? misscj: always

futbol Que? misscj: always calls me spongebob, week you had some funny names to yesterday.... it is raining like a mo fo.

Top Notch
Top Notch 07/11/07 - 04:00 pm
What's up with this weather?

What's up with this weather?

psychobetty
psychobetty 07/11/07 - 04:01 pm
Calvin possessed cocaine?

Calvin possessed cocaine? wow..

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/11/07 - 04:01 pm
Yeah our office roof is

Yeah our office roof is leaking ... yeah. I like dinosaurs and soccer, wanna fight about it?

psychobetty
psychobetty 07/11/07 - 04:01 pm
I wish it was raining men...

I wish it was raining men...

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/11/07 - 04:03 pm
that's so the gay

that's so the gay

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 04:06 pm
raining men? wow I wish it

raining men? wow I wish it was raining well nevermind the AC police will get me. dinosaurs and soccer hahaha I like PowerAide and limabeans.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 04:08 pm
I wish Jennifer Aniston would

I wish Jennifer Aniston would fall through my roof.

gaonmimynd
gaonmimynd 07/11/07 - 04:14 pm
My mother was beat down in

My mother was beat down in Augusta Mall, and then...the Richmond County Sheriffs dept didnt even arrest the woman that did it, we had to "file charges"

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/11/07 - 04:16 pm
Yeah that's typically the way

Yeah that's typically the way assault cases work.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 07/11/07 - 04:19 pm
I drive past the original

I drive past the original Calvin's restaurant each day and it appears that location will reopen soon. The old sign was taken down a few weeks ago, but another tiny one is up stating "Opening Soon". I believe Calvin finally got out of jail. There's been a lot of "remodeling" going on in the location for several weeks. The 2nd location downtown has been For Lease for several months.

Rose
Rose 07/11/07 - 04:20 pm
It rained so hard here, I

It rained so hard here, I could not see the road up from my house.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 04:25 pm
Thats great hopefully he has

Thats great hopefully he has things under control with his life and will reopen soon. I bet they didnt want to let him out of jail cause he was over the kitchen cooking. "Jail food by Calvin" only one problem, nobody would want to leave cause the food would be so good.