Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

TO THE COMMENT ABOUT more people watching the Paris Hilton interview on Larry King than watched the presidential debates: I am in no way a fan of Paris Hilton, but maybe people are not ready for 2008 presidential debates in 2007.

WE HAVE A BIG problem with Augusta Mall and all the groups of people that walk around three and four wide. I shop at the mall at least two times a week. But after my experiences yesterday, I think it will be awhile be for I go back. The mall's operators need to get a handle on it so true shoppers feel safe and can shop in peace.

IN RESPONSE TO your statement, "Wouldn't if be nice if someone put a Chick-Fil-A or Starbucks in south Augusta?": It won't happen because of crime. Look around. Businesses are leaving south Augusta because it is a slum. No business person in his right mind would locate there.

THIS IS A RANT for the division of the Augusta area. There is many quality food and retail establishments on the west side, and the west side continues to grow. Why doesn't the commission work towards building the south side area by finding incentives to bring higher quality retail and food establishments to the south side? I think it would be better than driving all the way to Columbia County to spend our tax dollars for quality services.

I WENT TO the July 4th celebration at Patriots Park and was very upset to see that they didn't raise the flag until after dark and after the fireworks started. That ruined my whole night. What does that say about how proud our community is for all of our fallen solders and the ones still fighting for our freedom?

If you have an opinion you want to share, call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax 722-7403 or e-mail newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

NoGoodReason
NoGoodReason 07/11/07 - 10:21 am
Differnce between RC & CC is

Differnce between RC & CC is RC has thungs and CC has punks..

bone
bone 07/11/07 - 10:24 am
shani5, are you speaking

shani5, are you speaking about drug issues in columbia county schools or violence? there are also many other things going on in columbia county schools - like successful students in a majority of the schools (no, we don't have a few shining stars to point out in our high achievement galaxy like DFA or ARJ). just trying to BE REAL HERE.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/11/07 - 10:25 am
Sheena is a punk rocker

Sheena is a punk rocker Sheena is a punk rocker Sheena is in Columbia Co. now oh oh oh ohhhh

DRAMAMAMA
DRAMAMAMA 07/11/07 - 10:29 am
Starbucks

Starbucks rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ladybug2
ladybug2 07/11/07 - 10:43 am
I agree with the Augusta Mall

I agree with the Augusta Mall rant. I hate going to the mall, especially on the weekends and after 4 or 5 p.m. Boys/Men are always making rude come ons!

NEone
NEone 07/11/07 - 10:44 am
"The undesireables always run

"The undesireables always run the good people out of the area." What? They only run the good people out because the good people LET THEM. The more you give in, the more territory the undesirables take over. Get a backbone!

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 10:48 am
Gypsies scare me, bad hair,

Gypsies scare me, bad hair, 8yo girls made up to look 15, scammers, talk too fast, all the guys look alike, rude, bad tippers, I shall stop now. Wait let me paint your house with a gallon of paint and 4 gallons of water! Poor kitty I bet they got a surprise when they opened the bag.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 10:51 am
ladybug, I agree I had a girl

ladybug, I agree I had a girl look at a certain part of me and I asked do you work for UPS cause I see you checking out my package. she busted out laughing.

Galan Lewis
Galan Lewis 07/11/07 - 10:52 am
That is so true about being

That is so true about being out of the mall on Saturday night by 8pm, AT THE LATEST! My husband or I won't dare take our daughter there unless it is first thing in the morning. It's getting really bad, when you can't go shopping without the fear of getting mugged or carjacked. Most of those thugs are checking out young girls and saying obscene things to them and I will not expose my daughter to that.

ShaniS
ShaniS 07/11/07 - 11:28 am
bone, yeah lets be real here.

bone, yeah lets be real here. yes drugs as well as weapons. pay attention seems like you read the paper, watch the news. think back, drugs, weapons, cheating on test so on and so forth. my point was it's not so much better, since the fingers were being pointed. now i honestly residents in columbia county take more pride in their area than rc, and that is true. rc, south augusta which, yes is where i live some people do not take care of the area. it is a community issue!!!!

dani
dani 07/11/07 - 11:37 am
The thing is, these people

The thing is, these people had the good sense to move away from there.

Some just don't care enough.

dani
dani 07/11/07 - 11:40 am
In West Augusta residents go

In West Augusta residents go out early and pick up any trash that might be littering their yard or the street.
In So. Augusta they see trash, toss in some more, then complain because it's there.

bone
bone 07/11/07 - 12:01 pm
actually, i teach in columbia

actually, i teach in columbia county, too, so i'm a little sensitive about comments indicating rampant violence/drug use are the norm at schools. there are certainly more drugs in schools than when i was a student; there is also more awareness of the problem and more likelihood of druggies getting caught when in possession at school, too.

ShaniS
ShaniS 07/11/07 - 12:06 pm
true

true

.......
....... 07/11/07 - 12:10 pm
In response to the comment

In response to the comment regarding Chick fil A and crime in South Augusta....Do you really think that there is this a "magical" line that makes everything in South Augusta "crime ridden, slum infested" and everything on the other side of the line "roses and unicorns"? South Augusta or West Augsta have the same type of people and problems. A county line or any other type of divider does not make one better than the other, one group of people above the other. Problems and crime do not just "disappear" when you cross the boundary. Your arrogance and stupidity is truly sad.

luckie
luckie 07/11/07 - 12:11 pm
There is alot of section 8 in

There is alot of section 8 in south augustaa which has caused many to move. Too much of calling the police for disorderlies, disrupting the public ie loud music late at night and so on and so on. It is not to say that this kids parent is not working but that is when the problems start in the neighborhood. No adults at home. Every Tyrone, Jerome, and Leroy is knocking at the door. I loved my home in south augusta but I had to give it up and I am so thankful I did. However, all in SA are not at poverty level. Reports indicate it primarily because of free or reduced school lunches but that's just false reporting by the parent.

jack
jack 07/11/07 - 12:23 pm
The mall should employ off

The mall should employ off duty cops to make the thugs so uncomfortable they will leave. They should not allow them to congregate in the middle of where people walk or walk more than two or three across. Cops can move them along. I don't shop there, but shop either in West Augusta or Evans/Martinez or N. Augusta.

tusmooth1
tusmooth1 07/11/07 - 12:32 pm
This debate will continue for

This debate will continue for forever so....lol. South Augusta isnt any less bad than columbia county. The people there just have the money to cover it up before it leaves there home. The mall isnt a bad place to shop, its high as hell and getting higher with the new shops thats supposed to bring in a different demographic or bring the old demo back.

Belchick
Belchick 07/11/07 - 01:08 pm
crab cakes if thats the worst

crab cakes if thats the worst you can say about NA then you can stay where you are.. B/c during the summer they are all gone. Its nice to be able to look at the nice big houses and manicured lawns with the lexus and hummers parked out side. Just thank... Maybe thats why everyone is moving to NA because everything looks nice. Even our ghettos look nicer.

imaginethat
imaginethat 07/11/07 - 01:39 pm
South Augusta is what it is

South Augusta is what it is because of its leadership. No, I am not talking about the mayor because he's relatively new to the scene. Unfortunately, Richmond County has been plagued with poor political leadership. The sad part is that they air their dirty laundry constantly. If I saw the commission meetings on TV, I would not be inclined to move into a home or business there. For commissioners to blatantly lie to the media is not helping the community in anyway. United - they will begin to stand tall. Divided - they will continue to fall.

NoGoodReason
NoGoodReason 07/11/07 - 02:13 pm
They need to crack down on

They need to crack down on the slum loards out on the southside.. How many trailers can you put on lot that would normally have just 1 house on it in CC.. I think RC allows up to 4 trailers on 1 acre of land and I think CC may have nixed trailers all together expect in rual areas.. The will drag the value of your home down faster then not picking up your trash out of the yard. As far as the mayor of Augusta goes HE GREW UP IN CC and WENT TO CC schools... Maybe it will make a difference

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 02:20 pm
Let Deke run the thing and

Let Deke run the thing and let everyone else GO!! week; there was some great roadkill on 56 today. possum filets

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 02:22 pm
"Cocaine is a helluva

"Cocaine is a helluva drug"---Rick James

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/11/07 - 02:27 pm
We've got to stop talking

We've got to stop talking about possums, I've had the Phish song "Possum" in my head for the past 3 days now.

intheknow
intheknow 07/11/07 - 02:29 pm
purpleprincess, when was the

purpleprincess, when was the last time, there was a mugging or carjacking at The Augusta Mall? I know that was a carjacking at a car wash on Washington Road. One in a lady's driveway. One while a lady was at a stop sign. But, I would love to know where you got your information on the mall carjacking and mugging.

white lady
white lady 07/11/07 - 02:34 pm
The Applebee's in south

The Applebee's in south augusta isnt goin anywhere i think its the number 1 or 2 in sales in entire metro augusta. South richmond county will be built up in time, the only acres left in augusta are in south augusta. So i expect alot of new business to open up. I doubt it would be on peach orchard, or deans bridge, anything new would be on tobacco/windsor spring rd since that is where all the new 100 to 300k homes are being built towards hephzibah. To the those ppl the mall is in west augusta richmond county, even the riverwatch mall will still be in richmond county not columbia county. So i guess you're going to be scared there to. Dont be afraid of ppl cause they dress different its only a waste of your time & life.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 02:34 pm
intheknow; where you been a

intheknow; where you been a pirate drove through the mall a few months ago, and a lot of things are not in the paper. RCSO has to go to Augusta Mall fairly often mate arrrrrrrrrrr and before you get mad, the pirate was white, you cant have a black pirate its against pirate rules.

gapeaches01
gapeaches01 07/11/07 - 02:39 pm
Not all of S.A. is all that

Not all of S.A. is all that bad. The Crosscreek/Goshen area is growing, I hear that they are getting a new Sonic's Drive-In out by the Food Lion on 56. the Sherriffs department will just have to beef up the patrols there. They already do the Food Lion parking lot.

I try not to shop at the Mall, but when I do go I try to go early in the day, I don't like to be out after dark no matter where I am at, especially when I am alone.

As for Rude people, they are every where, what ever happend to the "Southern Hospitality" that the South had? I've been to C.C. and had bad service, not because people knew where I was from, just that the service was sorry, that has to do with work ethic. Been to places in R.C. and had great service! It just really depends on the server.

As far as the Wal-mart in S.A., I will not go there by myself. 1> the lighting is bad, 2> the store is dirty-smells bad too, 3> Service stinks-never enough registers open. I prefer to go to N.A., especially since BOTH CC stores seem to be in a re-model.

Love Target-just wish they would bring a SUPER Target to Augusta.

white lady
white lady 07/11/07 - 02:39 pm
Stop comparing augusta who

Stop comparing augusta who has 210,000 with evans who has 65,000 ppl, martinez who has 30,000 ppl, north augusta who has 30,000 ppl, or aiken with 40,000 its like comparing atlanta vs sandy springs, marietta, or riverdale. The city will always be augusta & the rest will be nothing but suburbs.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/11/07 - 02:46 pm
Twice I've taken my wife to

Twice I've taken my wife to the Applebee's on the south side, and both times we have left prior to giving an order. Both times we left because we did not want to listen to the obscene language coming from a large group of men and women who were seated right behind us. I won't return there, as for Augusta Mall, the mall rats are acting as gang members and we avoid it also. Other communities don't allow their malls to be used as an entertainment venue for large groups of rude teens.
Our shopping has gone online and out of town. Augusta Mall, take heed, if things continue unchecked, you only have to look to Regency Mall for a view of your future. I was around for the fall of Regency Mall and it's decline started in the same way.