Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

TO THE COMMENT ABOUT more people watching the Paris Hilton interview on Larry King than watched the presidential debates: I am in no way a fan of Paris Hilton, but maybe people are not ready for 2008 presidential debates in 2007.

WE HAVE A BIG problem with Augusta Mall and all the groups of people that walk around three and four wide. I shop at the mall at least two times a week. But after my experiences yesterday, I think it will be awhile be for I go back. The mall's operators need to get a handle on it so true shoppers feel safe and can shop in peace.

IN RESPONSE TO your statement, "Wouldn't if be nice if someone put a Chick-Fil-A or Starbucks in south Augusta?": It won't happen because of crime. Look around. Businesses are leaving south Augusta because it is a slum. No business person in his right mind would locate there.

THIS IS A RANT for the division of the Augusta area. There is many quality food and retail establishments on the west side, and the west side continues to grow. Why doesn't the commission work towards building the south side area by finding incentives to bring higher quality retail and food establishments to the south side? I think it would be better than driving all the way to Columbia County to spend our tax dollars for quality services.

I WENT TO the July 4th celebration at Patriots Park and was very upset to see that they didn't raise the flag until after dark and after the fireworks started. That ruined my whole night. What does that say about how proud our community is for all of our fallen solders and the ones still fighting for our freedom?

If you have an opinion you want to share, call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax 722-7403 or e-mail newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

tusmooth1
tusmooth1 07/11/07 - 08:08 am
Wow, Mall rats, I bet you

Wow, Mall rats, I bet you used to be one of those mall rats when you were younger...lol. Anywho, I think that the mall thing is overrated also. People want to go to a social place where there is a food court where people socialize and eat and expecte everyone to be moving like the visa card commercials and shop shop shop. Well look people go and ignore the crowd of people or just go when its not that busy, you know like early in the morning or like a thursday instead of a Saturday afternoon around 5 or six......you people kill me when you make idle complaints about things that arent killing or hurting anyone. Everyone who walks in the mall in crowds arent thugs or are there to hurt anyone. I used to be one of those so called thugs but have never hurt anyone or been in jail or had any dealings with the law so get a grip. Some people are there to hang out do a $25 purchase for a hat a lids and look cool with all of there friends. I would rather have them at the mall then at a night club killing themselves.......

momma mia
momma mia 07/11/07 - 08:08 am
If I go to the mall, I

If I go to the mall, I typically go to Dillards or Pennys. I park outside the store I need to go to and do not walk through the entire mall. I don't care for the crowds.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 08:10 am
how about the pirate that

how about the pirate that drove through the mall arrrrrrrrrrr

MJDW
MJDW 07/11/07 - 08:14 am
Crime is not just a South

Crime is not just a South Augusta problem. The problem why we can't get any new business on Peach Orchard road is Marion Williams, who would want to open a business is Richmond county with him still on the board. Hopefully we can vote in people under the age of 45 and see how they can work together.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 08:16 am
Poor Marion, if he could just

Poor Marion, if he could just put a sentence together that was correct I would have a small increase in respect for him...very small.

bone
bone 07/11/07 - 08:20 am
imdstuf, you are grasping at

imdstuf, you are grasping at straws with this one. no way you can compare teens of yesteryear with thugs in the mall today. the miscreants that hang out at the mall aren't just doing it because they have no other place to go: they are also attempting to create an environment where they are powerful and feared. do you think these same thugs like going to work or school (i.e. places where they should have to be subservient)? ridiculous that public areas are falling prey to thugs whose only contribution is their bad attitude. anyone been to a movie theater in town lately? i don't think you'll be seeing me again at one.

whatever1
whatever1 07/11/07 - 08:21 am
The other night I was coming

The other night I was coming home on Gordon Highway going to the Bobby Jones, and at the Waffle House in the South Gate Shopping center area there must have been at least 50 cars of people just hanging out in the parking lot--why would a business let that happen? Just passing by I could tell that these people were not the type to assoicate with.
As for the mall not changing--get a life--when it opened in the late 70s people and their attitudes were different--Augusta Mall had a more affluent customer and Regency had the soldiers and such--that was just the way it was. Augusta like any other major city, town or wide spot in the road has always had a better side and a worse side--it will always be that way--some people regardless of money or situation--don't care about the way they live and how it impacts the community or others.

kudzunroses
kudzunroses 07/11/07 - 08:24 am
Yep tusmooth I was one of

Yep tusmooth I was one of those "mall rats" we shopped and ate and met with friends.....but we were not rude nor did we block access to places by congregating inmass.......and this was less than twenty years ago ......ill mannered is ill mannered no matter the color....like I say treat yourselves to a better class of shopping...leave the mall to the rats.

DRAMAMAMA
DRAMAMAMA 07/11/07 - 08:24 am
I live right by the mall and

I live right by the mall and if I go there twice a year that's alot!! There are WAAAY too many teenagers hanging out and by experience alot of them are rude and nasty. I had one gentlemen basically push me out the way one day while I was shopping with out saying excuse me or anything! When I said excuse me to him he then tried to get an attitude and get all up in my face as if I was the one who pushed him!! They are bullies and need to find some where else to hang out at.

3M3T1B
3M3T1B 07/11/07 - 08:24 am
Hey, hey, hey, let's not

Hey, hey, hey, let's not start hating on pirates, They may have a peg-leg or an eye-patch, and those parrots are annoying, but they have feelings too.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 08:28 am
arrrrrr wheres me spiced

arrrrrr wheres me spiced rum... and mates.....

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 08:34 am
he was a PUI---pirate under

he was a PUI---pirate under the influence!

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/11/07 - 08:36 am
Here's what you do at the

Here's what you do at the mall. When you see 4 dudes walking abreast in the mall, just keep walking straight make eye contact so that they see you comming and they will either move and let you go through or just run into them and keep walking like you didn't even realize you bumped shoulders. Then again I'm a pretty big dude so usually I don't get messed with walking around.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/11/07 - 08:36 am
don't you have to be under

don't you have to be under the influence to be a pirate?

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 08:39 am
yea when you navigate your

yea when you navigate your ship or drive through the mall you have to be under the influence of alcohol, pirates law..arrrrrrrr

kudzunroses
kudzunroses 07/11/07 - 08:42 am
worst case

worst case scenerio....................A unstable man fed up with being bullied at the mall by thugs looses it and pulls a rifle out and starts blowing them away inmass because they were all grouped together many die..............mall closes for clean-up.........I don't want to be there when that happens.

ShaniS
ShaniS 07/11/07 - 08:44 am
I remember when South Augusta

I remember when South Augusta was the place to live. That was where a lot of middle class people stayed. There was a lot of busineses there then.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/11/07 - 08:46 am
There's still good stuff in

There's still good stuff in S. Augusta like Villa Europa and T's and ... that's all I got.

ShaniS
ShaniS 07/11/07 - 08:49 am
applebee's, sconyers

applebee's, sconyers

DRAMAMAMA
DRAMAMAMA 07/11/07 - 08:51 am
Has anyone noticed that the

Has anyone noticed that the sign at the Bojangles off Hwy 25 says 10 "peice" instead of "piece"??? I found that tooooo funny!!! LOL I before E except after C!!!!

Doe
Doe 07/11/07 - 08:54 am
Well, Augusta Mall security

Well, Augusta Mall security doesn't discriminate. I am a 50 year old white female with three adult children. I was meeting them and two of my nephews after we had all done some shopping in different shops, and the security guard came up to us and told us we had to move. This was in the elevator area of the mall, but in between two of the stores, of which my daughter, son's girlfriend and myself had just come out of. There was no isle that we were taking up space in. We were discussing what we were planning to do next. A female security guard came up and told us we had to keep moving. So, if you don't have small children, making you look like a family, don't expect to be treated any other way than gang members. Maybe my mom and aunt authoritative position I have carried so well was coming across as that of a gang leader. Whatever it was, I was embarrassed and angry.

misscj0123
misscj0123 07/11/07 - 08:58 am
Read the paper...South

Read the paper...South Augusta is not any worse than Columbia County or inner city Augusta. I live on the south side and have not had to call the cops even once. As for Applebees in south Augusta, the parking lot is always full. They are doing real good business there.

bone
bone 07/11/07 - 09:01 am
"south augusta is not any

"south augusta is not any worse than columbia county." a new level of ignorance has been reached with this comment. strong public schools, exploding real estate market, tons of new shopping (not enough good restaraunts, though) - which successful area am i NOT describing?

ShaniS
ShaniS 07/11/07 - 09:14 am
Let's be real CLEAR here. Now

Let's be real CLEAR here. Now last school term there were MORE issues with COLUMBIA COUNTY schools than schools in SOUTH AUGUSTA. LETS BE REAL HERE.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 07/11/07 - 09:15 am
SDC, you have to remember the

SDC, you have to remember the Gypsies too. They look like ordinary ... mmm ... kinda ... families but there are some gypo women that use their kids to distract while they steal or get their kids to steal while they distract the store employees.

NoGoodReason
NoGoodReason 07/11/07 - 09:16 am
Every town has a good side

Every town has a good side and a bad side.. The strange thing is that in most towns it seems that the south side and/or inter city area is the bad side. I grew up on the south side and never had a problem, but when I moved to the hill area ( Over 10 years ago ) I can't tell you how many times my car got broke into and stuff was stolen out of my yard.. Funny thing happen while I lived in that area I got home late one night to discover that someone had hit a cat in the road ( I'm guessing ) and it managed to make it to my driveway before it died.. Well it was late, so I stuck the cat in a bag and left it on my front screened in porch, so I could give it a proper burial the next morning. Well sometime during the night I heared something, and got up to check the noise out. Well who ever I heard must have heard me coming because they snatched that bag with the dead cat in it and took off.. I still laugh at that to this day.. Poor kitty...

cdb
cdb 07/11/07 - 09:17 am
I think all of the people

I think all of the people complaning about Sout Augusta need to remember where they came from. Most of the people that move to Columbia County are from South Augusta. Its only as bad as you make it out to be. Stop crying and do something about it. And yes we do like to eat as well as you do. It would be nice to have a Chick-Fil-A in South Augusta. No Starbuck, there coffee is not good any way. Hope all you all have a nice day.

cdb
cdb 07/11/07 - 09:17 am
I think all of the people

Belchick
Belchick 07/11/07 - 09:19 am
Sorry you all but have you

Sorry you all but have you vistied the great little city across the river. Yeah thanks I know North Augusta is great! And it just keeps getting better. So all those columbia county people and south augusta can just keep complaining I will be listening, While I sit at Starbucks.

lathy
lathy 07/11/07 - 09:19 am
my son and my grandson were

my son and my grandson were recently shopping in the augusta mall around 7pm on a saturday night. the young man working in the store they were shopping in told them that they needed to be of the mall by 8pm. sounds to me like they have a problem. of course i have not been in the mall after 3pm in over 10 years. no one likes to be hassled when they are trying to shop.