Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

TO THE COMMENT ABOUT more people watching the Paris Hilton interview on Larry King than watched the presidential debates: I am in no way a fan of Paris Hilton, but maybe people are not ready for 2008 presidential debates in 2007.

WE HAVE A BIG problem with Augusta Mall and all the groups of people that walk around three and four wide. I shop at the mall at least two times a week. But after my experiences yesterday, I think it will be awhile be for I go back. The mall's operators need to get a handle on it so true shoppers feel safe and can shop in peace.

IN RESPONSE TO your statement, "Wouldn't if be nice if someone put a Chick-Fil-A or Starbucks in south Augusta?": It won't happen because of crime. Look around. Businesses are leaving south Augusta because it is a slum. No business person in his right mind would locate there.

THIS IS A RANT for the division of the Augusta area. There is many quality food and retail establishments on the west side, and the west side continues to grow. Why doesn't the commission work towards building the south side area by finding incentives to bring higher quality retail and food establishments to the south side? I think it would be better than driving all the way to Columbia County to spend our tax dollars for quality services.

I WENT TO the July 4th celebration at Patriots Park and was very upset to see that they didn't raise the flag until after dark and after the fireworks started. That ruined my whole night. What does that say about how proud our community is for all of our fallen solders and the ones still fighting for our freedom?

If you have an opinion you want to share, call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax 722-7403 or e-mail newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/11/07 - 06:14 am
For the south Augusta rant,

For the south Augusta rant, the incentives the commission gives would have little if any effect on small businesses. The south Augusta community needs to create a climate where social misfits are not welcome and where legal action is taken immediately against bullies and shake down artists and strong arm robbers and gang members in general and where drug dealers, drug houses and liquor houses aren't ignored. Then business would want to move to south Augusta, instead of away. It's the attitude that's the biggest problem.

CSRAider
CSRAider 07/11/07 - 06:24 am
When I was young it was the

When I was young it was the big slide and Mcdonalds and not to far away was the eat-a-plenty. South Augusta was KICKIN! then.

getalife
getalife 07/11/07 - 06:42 am
I agree with the Augusta Mall

I agree with the Augusta Mall comment. I have stopped shopping there because of the groups of people just walking around or standing in the middle of the floor. They are rude and many times make comments about women shoppers. It is becoming as bad as the Regency Mall had gotten.

PAW
PAW 07/11/07 - 06:53 am
If you don't like the groups

If you don't like the groups of people in the mall, then go to walmart....PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

redapples
redapples 07/11/07 - 06:57 am
I stopped shopping at the

I stopped shopping at the Augusta Mall at Christmas and don't plan to go back. There is nothing there I can't live without and it is not worth the hassle.

jaschild
jaschild 07/11/07 - 07:21 am
PAW... it's exactly that

PAW... it's exactly that attitude that is causing augusta to crumble and columbia county to surpass. south augustans take note of the comments above. if you are offended and close-minded than that's exactly the way augusta will remain. there are too many other retail outlets/malls that are opening up that care about their clientele. why should we have to put up with punks that want to flex their muscles and "power" their way through the mall??

amazed1
amazed1 07/11/07 - 07:24 am
this is for paw. undoubtedly,

this is for paw. undoubtedly, you must be one of the A.H's that they are talking about.

swtgeorgiapch08
swtgeorgiapch08 07/11/07 - 07:42 am
This is comment about the

This is comment about the whole Augusta Mall thing. If you remember Regency Mall wasnt that bad and im 26 is closed while i was still a teenager. Augusta Mall isnt that bad be a adult and say excuse me really loudly. I shop there all the time and im a female,ive never heard a rude comment or anything else. Grow up yourselves and get a backbone. The mall has always and will always be a hangout for teenagers, if i had one id rather them be there than someones house possible smoking or drinking.

dixie
dixie 07/11/07 - 07:43 am
The closing of the Regency

The closing of the Regency Mall sealed the fate of the Augusta Mall. The undesireables always run the good people out of the area.

lazeeday
lazeeday 07/11/07 - 07:49 am
Walmart is the same way.You

Walmart is the same way.You must go over several isles to get by large groups of people walking so SLOW and people just standing arround gossiping.You ask politely for them to excuse you and let you pass and they just look right through you.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 07/11/07 - 07:59 am
While it is true the Augusta

While it is true the Augusta Mall needs a little bit more security, still it's not that bad. Who cares what other people say, so let them say what they wish. They are the ones wasting their energies on saying rude comments or acting out. Be the better person and keep walking and show them you are an educated person and have manners and enough pride to ignore their ignorance. If people keep worrying about what every single person has to say or comment about then you will never live.

Its 5oclock somewhere
Its 5oclock somewhere 07/11/07 - 08:00 am
Augusta mall needs to charge

Augusta mall needs to charge $10 to park and when you leave show a receipt you get your $10 back. that would keep a lot of the thugs out.

G.R.I.T.S
G.R.I.T.S 07/11/07 - 08:03 am
Well guys and dolls, from all

Well guys and dolls, from all your comments this morning it seems that I should 1) avoid Augusta Mall and 2) avoid South Augusta. I remember Regency Mall and I also remember when Augusta Mall opened. Regency Mall didn't close just because of the kids hanging around. Stores moved because sales were not there. Sales were not there because it was on the "SOUTHSIDE". Augusta Mall will not close because a few of you don't want to shop there. The teenagers may be in groups, but they SPEND MONEY too. As for South Augusta, GOD help them cause they won't help themselves.

PAW
PAW 07/11/07 - 08:10 am
If you don't like the mall

If you don't like the mall and the people in it.... then " SHOP ONLINE" or stay your complaining and whining butt at home.

JONLENA
JONLENA 07/11/07 - 08:22 am
A rant to the general

A rant to the general population of this area. Wouldn't it be great if everybody could work together regardless of race, creed or color. Augusta could be one of the best tourist attractions in the country. There is so much to offer but we have people that couldn.t agree on the time of day. Let'e change our motto to "WE"

itamazezme
itamazezme 07/11/07 - 08:28 am
The sad fact is that south

The sad fact is that south augusta is full of rude, ill mannered, selfish, I'm going to get mine if I got to pull my fellow man down type of mentality. I don't blame some ppl or businesses for leaving. I've been a long time stand my ground, hope it gets better type. But, lately I've been seriously reconsidering this and thinking about moving myself.

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 07/11/07 - 08:31 am
PAW that's not how to solve

PAW that's not how to solve the problem,and walking away after they have said something rude is showing them they have won.This is how gangs start ,when kids know they can intimidate and scare people. I don't go to the mall because of the "groups" and I am not complaining or whining. Just don't go!

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 08:38 am
Mornin folks!

Mornin folks!

heyheyhey
heyheyhey 07/11/07 - 08:42 am
yuck--> I have read the new

yuck--> I have read the new child support laws and as I stated before, it is in favor for the non custodial parent, why did they need to involve both the non custodial and custodial parents income? To help the non custodial parent. If they were taking care of there kids in the first place, they wouldnt be on child support anyway. I don't see why they wanna help someone that they have to make take care of their children.

RebelTA
RebelTA 07/11/07 - 08:47 am
actually the businesses

actually the businesses aren't interested in coming because of the financial demographics. Since South Augusta was abandoned and those homes either sold for low prices or rented out to section 8 people the financial power of South Augusta went down. If you remove the low income/free rider element then the demo's would go back up and businesses would come back. I know of several businesses who won't consider South Augusta because the median income level is less then 50,000 per household a year.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 08:49 am
Thugs are invading Augusta

Thugs are invading Augusta Mall period. I am not being racist, they are white and black. Thug life has no color.

cn683
cn683 07/11/07 - 08:51 am
i dont think columbia county

i dont think columbia county has any right to talk bad about richmond county. yeah-richmond county may have the 'crime' and have a bad rep on that note...but...there have been times where i have gone to establishments in columbia county and have had to deal with people thinking they are so much better than me. treating me so low just because of $. or because they live on that side of town. i have gone to some places in richmond county and have had the best time. yeah richmond county needs to clean up their act some - but so does coumbia county when it comes to the way they treat their visitors. every town has their downsides.

Belchick
Belchick 07/11/07 - 08:54 am
goaliemom... you obviously

goaliemom... you obviously have been out of the scene for awhile. If you make a comment back to the people after the make a comment this is a how people become targets or how fights are started. It really doesn't depend on if your female or male. They can find a way to get back at you espically if they were embaressed by your comment in from of there friends.
Be smart... Walk away and ignore it...And if you still feel threatened go to security..Thats what they are there for.

johnsmith
johnsmith 07/11/07 - 08:54 am
Don't worry...ol' johnsmith

Don't worry...ol' johnsmith won't be bothering you in the Augusta Mall :) Not sure why it is that a group of four or five people walks side-by-side so that they entirely block an enormously wide aisle, look straight at me as I'm walking toward them going the opposite direction, and can't move out of the way. So I slow down, and they "stare me down" and keep walking at me, and I'm supposed to...what? Go into a store to get out of your way? Um, no. I just keep going, and since I'm usually the biggest guy in any room I'm in, I run smack into the ill-mannered schmuck who can't be bothered to get out of the way, and he or she is the one who ends up getting bounced like a pinball into their buddies. I get tired of your dandruff and hair grease and other nasty detritus on my jacket sleeve, though, so I long ago took the classless morons' advice you've seen in here--I stopped going to the Mall. See? You won. Cool...don't forget, though, you need my dollars, too, to stay open. When the malls close, it's because they kept the kids with $50 in their pockets, and lost the father of four who goes in and blows hundreds of dollars per visit.

kudzunroses
kudzunroses 07/11/07 - 08:55 am
I haven't been to the mall in

I haven't been to the mall in years...hate the crowds...I enjoy small speciality shops that are not as accessible to the milling crowds of mall rats.............leave them alone and let them stay contained there....frequent small shops and visit online boutiques you'll meet a much better class of store owners and customers.

tusmooth1
tusmooth1 07/11/07 - 08:59 am
ok where did the child

ok where did the child support comment come from, anywho, I agree and dont agree with the south augusta comments. I have lived in South Augusta for about 21 years of the 26 years of my life and yes we dont have any businesses hear that are as nioe as Evans and Martinez( the actual city name and not the county name) because no one that lives in south augusta will support the businesses like they are being supported in Evans and Martinez. Look at how long it took us to get a Applebees here. Hope that stays long enough for people in this town to realize that the only way we will get any business here is to spend the money in the businesses when they show up. Now all of this crime stuff here, come on get a grip. I actually know white people that wont even come to this area because they ythink that they will get robbed or killed........LOL....its not like that here, heck I was scared like that when I was 13 and 14 to go in certain neighborhoods but now its much more toned down. So get a grip Columbia County and some gall about yourself and quit saying things are what they arent.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 09:01 am
I can remember when Regency

I can remember when Regency mall was actually nice to shop in and I am only 30....lots of crime and the same thing that is going on at Augusta Mall started and people were afraid to go there money dried up and shops closed, now it is an eye sore on Deans Bridge Rd. My solution, take all thugs away and Augusta would be great. Not going to happen though, I am dreaming!

imdstuf
imdstuf 07/11/07 - 09:04 am
The mall is no different than

The mall is no different than it ever was. It has not changed, the people complaining have. Guess what? You woke up one day and you were old. There have always been teenagers hanging out at the malls. They are not there to hurt you. Get over yourselves.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 09:04 am
tusmooth1; Applebees wont be

tusmooth1; Applebees wont be there long remember the one on Wrightsboro Road..... its gone now. As for crime, get a pistol and permit, and you have nothing to worry about. Criminals will generally not "mess" with a person who is armed.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/11/07 - 09:08 am
imdstuf: teens are there to

imdstuf: teens are there to steal, I know someone that works in mall security, not all of them steal but a lot do which also hurts business. where have you been hiding?

Ex-Augusta VA director paid $76k, retired

Under the terms of the contract, Rebecca Wiley agreed to dismiss any allegations against the VA of wrongful or unlawful conduct on the condition the agency pays her $76,006 to retire, restores 238 ...