Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

EARLY IN THE WEEK, we were informed that there would be a large increase in the cost of milk. On the front page of the paper, we were told about the medical benefits of milk. Now that is quite a coincidence.

I COULDN'T SLEEP at 1:30 in the morning. I called Comcast because the television control wouldn't work. A nice lady gave me advice on how to fix it.

I WOULD LIKE to know how you could call or whom you would call to report the illegal immigrants working in a neighborhood.

THERE IS A MINI MALL on the corner of Central Avenue and Merry Street. The parking lot is dirty; trash and weeds are everywhere. It is a bad sight for the neighborhood. I'm sure the people living there are as tired of it as we are, and we just have to pass by it. Why can't the city get it cleaned up?

I AM SORRY that I voted for Bush. I wish I could take my votes back.

HOW DID A beautiful word like gay come to describe homosexuals? You can't even use the word anymore.

OUR MAYOR NEEDS to take a look at the trash up and down Bobby Jones. It's a disgrace.

BIG RAVE to the people of Columbia County for picking a superintendent from among their own, unlike the ignorant people of Richmond County. It's going to be another Charles Larke all over again, at the taxpayers' expense.

THIS IS A RAVE AND A big thank you to Kmart for its great support and interest in our service personnel.

LOOKS LIKE we're having trouble getting the airport to work. Maybe we need a new terminal.

HAS THE DOWNTOWN Development Authority considered that the marketplace should dictate what's downtown? If good businesses go there, the area will prosper; if not, it won't. It won't require more tax money since those businesses, good or bad, will pay their own way. The only place the taxpayer should be involved is when his money goes toward law enforcement. Clearly, an additional property tax is absurd. Any time government gets involved, it's going to head downhill fast.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

intheknow
intheknow 07/04/07 - 07:28 am
I see another ignorant rant

I see another ignorant rant about the pick for Super in Richmond County. It speaks for itself.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/04/07 - 07:33 am
The stupid rave about the

The stupid rave about the supt. of schools in ARC and Columbia county says more about the poster then it does about the choices the respective BOEs made.

SON of Scoob
SON of Scoob 07/04/07 - 09:05 am
To the person who complained

To the person who complained about illegal immigrants in their neighborhood. Plesase help me understand how you can tell the difference between legal and illegal without asking for indentification. Is there an apperance difference the public needs to be aware of??????????????????

chadwick323i
chadwick323i 07/04/07 - 09:22 am
My thing is why would an

My thing is why would an illegal alien want to come to this town. That's really backwards!!!!

smarterthanyou
smarterthanyou 07/04/07 - 09:22 am
Easy to spot for anyone with

Easy to spot for anyone with an ounce of common sense. 93 percent are brown and can't speak a word of english. Thats not racism, just a fact. Find them - put them on the border for one year to help build a wall - send their employers down with them dish them out chow, clean their cloths and take care of the camps.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 07/04/07 - 09:22 am
To the ranter regarding the

To the ranter regarding the DDA....I am guessing that you are a product of the Richmond County schools because your reading comprehension is attrocious. The DDA lobbied for a Business Improvement District that had to be approved by 51% of the property owners within the district. Only the property owners in the district will pay increased taxes for whatever increased services are provided in the district.

noctur55
noctur55 07/04/07 - 09:28 am
I dont have a problem with

I dont have a problem with illegals as long as they are not collecting ss benefits. Is anybody here going to do their jobs? If you say you would for the money they are paid, you are a liar.

mgroothand
mgroothand 07/04/07 - 09:33 am
So now I have two phonebooks

So now I have two phonebooks with the same information. What a waste of natural resources. I wonder how many trees had to be cut down for this redundancy? One will go to immediate recycling.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 07/04/07 - 09:59 am
What a witty retort Raymond.

What a witty retort Raymond. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I am not from Richmond or Columbia County. Thanks for playing.

Jenn30907
Jenn30907 07/04/07 - 10:25 am
If you suspect illegal

If you suspect illegal immigrants living or working in your area, you contact the INS (Immigration & Naturalization).

NEone
NEone 07/04/07 - 10:38 am
You called Comcast and talked

You called Comcast and talked to a nice person? How sweet. We've called Comcast for several weeks, and talked to a nice person, but have not had ON DEMAND for all this time. What am I paying for?

DT2000
DT2000 07/04/07 - 10:54 am
Comcast will constantly

Comcast will constantly remind you that "ON DEMAND" is a free service, so not receiving it doesn't impact your bill. However, ON DEMAND was their primary marketing tool for enticing Knology customers to switch. You've got to give it to them though, they are well trained at parroting the standard apology. And the complementary bill credits for non-service are getting smaller and smaller.

jack
jack 07/04/07 - 11:08 am
RC was smart NOT to select a

RC was smart NOT to select a local for Super of Schools. That was the problem with that crook and racist Larke.

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 07/04/07 - 11:43 am
Keep it up with the illegal

Keep it up with the illegal immigrants issue and you will not have your precious vidalia onions, pecans, strawberries and your juicy peaches. Let see how many of you will go to the field and work all day from sunrise to sundown under 90+ degrees plus weather for very little money or better yet in a very hot humid factory, or doing landscape, or any other job that's not in a nice air condition office with a big comfortable chair without complaining and whinning that it's too hot or it's too hard or it's too much. They deserve a chance. Regardless of what all of you think this people are not on welfare like others, they don't collect food stamps like others and when they get paid each week, month or biweekly they have taxes deducted too just like everyone else. They are part of this economy, they spent money, they buy groceries from the stores and spend just like every american. So think before you go making judgements. And one more thing not all are brown skin and can't speak english. That's just a very ignorant stereotype. So educate yourself!!

jdcooper
jdcooper 07/04/07 - 12:37 pm
I could care less who comes

I could care less who comes here from south of the border to do the jobs that we feel we are too good to do.... as long as they do not get any type of public assistance. Employers should be responsible for their medical needs as well!!!

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 07/04/07 - 01:13 pm
Well spoken, every one of you

Well spoken, every one of you - AND - don't forget to boycott
Chinese products or we might, one day, not have a Happy Fourth of July! Stay safe, all of you! God bless our troops and the USA!

SON of Scoob
SON of Scoob 07/04/07 - 01:14 pm
To smarterthanyou: I have at

To smarterthanyou: I have at least three ounces of common sense, so if you expect everyone to beleive 93% of the brown people who can't speak english are illegal you ought to recount your ounces. Did you give yourself your display name? If so you might want to recount and reconsider.

Chad
Chad 07/04/07 - 01:48 pm
To all those supporting

To all those supporting Illegals, I would assume it is ok that they broke federal laws to get into this country, stole ssn# so employers can deduct the taxes. I guess if they stole your ID you would just give them a pass, as long as you get your vegetables, lawn cut, and roof put on right and while your at it go to the ER one day and pay the bill of one of those nice law abiding illegals because you know that they won't. In my book that is stealing, from the DR's the hospital. Think about it people we are a country of laws period. If they want to be here do it legally. If we went to Mexico illegally we would be thrown under the jail. So why not do the same.

mgroothand
mgroothand 07/04/07 - 03:29 pm
What cristinadh is forgetting

What cristinadh is forgetting is these illegals send most of their earnings back to south of the border, that's why they are here in the first place. It is Mexico's second largest source of cashflow.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 07/04/07 - 04:07 pm
Jack, I want to know

Jack, I want to know specifically what Mr. Larke did that has you upset. So far, all I know is he made too much money. Could you give me more specifics.

Jillian
Jillian 07/04/07 - 04:32 pm
Hey "pointstoponder"- Before

Hey "pointstoponder"-

Before making comments about someone's Reading comprehension you might want to learn to spell the word you used- it's atrocious, NOT "attrocious"

mable8
mable8 07/04/07 - 04:41 pm
cristinadh: I want you to

cristinadh: I want you to know that I HAVE worked in the fields; I am not an illegal. Furthermore, I saw many of our LEGAL citizens out in the fields as well. What happened? When the ILLEGALS came along, the farmers were able to pay less on a flat of berries or the sack of pole beans and WOULD NOT HIRE LEGAL CITIZENS FOR THE JOB. Perhaps that is why you don't see LEGAL CITIZENS in the field. The pay is abominable, to say the least, but there were people who were willing to get the job done. Get your fact straight before you support ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION--THEY DID TAKE JOBS FROM THE LEGAL CITIZENS.

fb1234
fb1234 07/04/07 - 05:36 pm
I am sure this has nothing to

I am sure this has nothing to do with anything; my opinion of Comcast is that they give bad service when the connection isn't working! When can we try another service in our area?

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 07/04/07 - 06:05 pm
Good catch Jillian, my error.

Good catch Jillian, my error. Now how about challenging the facts I presented rather than spelling errors.

germang
germang 07/04/07 - 07:49 pm
i disagree with all of your

i disagree with all of your anti mexicans,those people have the sweetest personalities and there are more respectful then most of americans.i work in a doctors office ,americans come in there with attitudes and terrible smells.most of them are on medicaid with lots of kids ,never paid any taxes and those are our people.lots of time mexicans are selfpay patients there dont care how much as cost to get there sick child seen.so stop worrying so much about mexicans,look at the black society there the ones draining the system

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 07/04/07 - 08:36 pm
Germang if you think blacks

Germang if you think blacks are draining the system, show me some statistics. Being black I resent your comment. I personnally pay several hundred dollars per month for health insurance and I know many blacks who do the same. Your comments are based on you limited experience with the blacks and Mexicans.Stop lumping everyone together based on race. All races, whites include have non productive members of society.How would you like it if someone said the majority of child molesters are white males.

germang
germang 07/04/07 - 09:10 pm
I know the statistics I see

I know the statistics I see it every day for the last 12 years Doctors and administrators getting tired of system users.Especially the ones with all the brand name clothes and the expensive cellphones,asking for free diapers and free tylenol for there children,also nipples and bottles.Please RCH you know i be telling the truth,you people just dont want to hear the truth.Everything been cathered to some people for too long

dwb619
dwb619 07/04/07 - 11:16 pm
Do not be so quick to say

Do not be so quick to say they pay taxes. Many of the employers use the 1099 form, sub contractor status, that puts the respondsibilty of paying the taxes( federal, state, and both sides of social security) on the illegal immigrant worker. I do not think that they will report these earnings.

LOUKEN5888
LOUKEN5888 07/05/07 - 05:45 am
Why hasn't anyone mentioned a

Why hasn't anyone mentioned a charge of murder in any of the stories about Coby Plowden? The only the thing I have seen is a "failure to stop for blue lights" and a possible "DUI"????????

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...