Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

RAVES TO SHAQUILLE O'NEAL, the NBA basketball player. He is doing so much fine work, and most of it doesn't get recognized. Now he has a television program about fighting obesity in young people. I'm a fan of his and I often write him from Harlem. What a fine person he is!

DO NOT ANSWER YOUR phone while in the ladies room. Do you think the person you are talking with needs to hear bathroom sounds? Do you think the other people in the other stalls are comfortable? You can always call them back later after your hands are washed and you have left the restroom. Get a clue and let it ring!

ALL SCHOOLS IN COLUMBIA County should have an elementary Spanish program, not just Stevens Creek. If the school board is going to fund them, why not everybody else? They are not the only elementary school in the county.

THIS IS A RAVE TO THE person ranting about somebody stealing their doughnut. That is so funny. I can taste that doughnut right now!

I AM CALLING ABOUT the new superintendent that the Richmond County School Board hired. It seems strange that they would hire someone who has worked as a superintendent four times in the last eight years. I don't think they made a good decision on that.

THIS IS A RANT. NSA HAD a credit union planned for their new building on Fort Gordon. Now, they don't. It is really needed. What happened?

IT'S FUNNY TO ME HOW people are so eager to say, let the Mexicans clean this and do this because it's a job that Americans feel is beneath them. But you are quick to say that you don't want them here. Think about that before you start talking about who doesn't deserve to be in the country.

THIS IS A RANT FOR Jefferson Electric who is still running commercials on television as if they are competing with someone for our service. You have a monopoly. What needs to happen, is the state government needs bring in more competition so we can get better service. It doesn't make sense to run the commercials now. Put the money back into the business so that the consumers can benefit from it.

THIS IS A RANT TO deadbeat dads for not taking care of your kids and also a rant to the state of Georgia for not making the deadbeats pay back child support for their child.

THIS IS A HUGE RAVE. To the person who initiated for the shoplifter to stand on Washington Road in front of the Evans Wal-mart during the weekend. This person was holding the sign admitting to shoplifting. Excellent, magnificent and fantastic idea. There should be more of this so others may learn from this experience. I am sure that the heat of 97 degrees was just as much fun as the shoplifting.

REWARDING SOMEONE FOR DOING something illegal is wrong. That is why so many Americans are against any immigration bill that grants amnesty to illegal immigrants, no matter how many there are. Yet, it seems our cries are falling on deaf ears in Washington. They continue to do whatever they want, no matter what the people they represent have to say about it. Wrong is still wrong!

THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE claims it will cost $41.9 million to close the Athens Navy Supply School. Completely absurd. How much does it cost to lock the gate and walk away? Zero! In fact, the property is clearly very valuable, so all they have to do is lock the place and sell the whole kit and kaboodle. Taxpayers will make a profit. N o, the DOD wants to spend $41.9 MILLION on something. Where will those millions go? Into whose pockets?

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 07/03/07 - 05:29 am
The new choice of supt. of

The new choice of supt. of schools may have had four jobs in eight years for many acceptable reasons. I don't think the BOE would offer the job to someone that was fired four times in eight years or someone that abandoned the students for a pay raise four times in eight years.

givemeabreak
givemeabreak 07/03/07 - 06:09 am
Until you start paying my

Until you start paying my bills I will answer my telephone in the bathroom, @ a restaurant or in any public place I feel like. I am so tired of hearing complaints about cell phones. A person talking on a cell phone is no different than you talking to a friend who may be shopping with you. Did you ever stop and think maybe we don't care to hear your conversation either??

Golfer
Golfer 07/03/07 - 06:18 am
Givemeabreak, were you the 80

Givemeabreak, were you the 80 year old woman I saw driving and talking on a cell phone? Its bad enough this person was old and driving, but old and talking on a cell phone. I think people just need to hang up and drive.

NANF
NANF 07/03/07 - 06:19 am
Did you know that the Gov. of

Did you know that the Gov. of Illinois recently signed in to law, a minimun wage of $7.50 an hour, for his state ,to be raised by increments up to $8.50 an hour by the year 2010. If anything needs to be "ranted" about, it's Ga. gov't. They gripe about too many on welfare, etc. A decent wage would get more than a few off the rolls. And don't complain that prices would go up because employers don't want to pay the wage. Prices are going up anyway. I don't pretend to have any answers, I just think people should know that state gov. can do it if they want to.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/03/07 - 06:26 am
givemeabreak I agree, I'm

givemeabreak I agree, I'm tired of hearing cell phone complaints as well. I paid 600 dollars for my cell phone and and 80 bucks a month for a bill to talk where ever I please. If anyone wants to contribute to either of these charges then they can tell me when to use my phone.

sanders20
sanders20 07/03/07 - 06:46 am
did anyone else see the smoke

did anyone else see the smoke or steam coming from the bottom of the bridge on riverwatch(near downtown)? When I drove by, I seen a cop running down the hill....

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/03/07 - 06:51 am
Hopefully for the LAST time,

Hopefully for the LAST time, cell phone use in public is acceptable if your not loud and don't disturb the people around you. What is not liked are the people who speak loud enough for the entire venue to hear, how important they think they are, and people who insist on talking on a cell phone while maiking a transaction, which slows this down and inconveniences everyone behind the self important caller. If you don't fit into this category let it lay. I also agree with Golfer if your gonna take a call while driving, get in the right lane so that you don't impede traffic, or better yet, Hang Up and Drive!
Now Back to the DOUGHNUTS!

sanders20
sanders20 07/03/07 - 07:18 am
dougnuts!!doughnuts!!doughnut

dougnuts!!doughnuts!!doughnuts!!

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/03/07 - 07:20 am
I try my best not to talk

I try my best not to talk while i'm driving, it's a safety issue then. But anywhere else, other than church is fair game. I always speak in a low voice, I don't want everyone knowing my business. And most would prefer that I don't let my phone ring without answering in public. Not everyone wants to hear E40 sing u and dat booty. LOL

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/03/07 - 07:23 am
I only eat glazed doughnuts,

I only eat glazed doughnuts, I can't get into all that jelly and chocolate. Robs the doughnut of it's flavor, takes the focus off the doughnut.

WhiskyDick
WhiskyDick 07/03/07 - 07:25 am
Pienso que todos los niños en

Pienso que todos los niños en escuela primaria deben aprender español. Mi familia acaba de volver a partir de nuestras vacaciones en California y sierra apenas cualquier gringos que hablaba inglés.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 07/03/07 - 07:25 am
sanders, the policeman was

sanders, the policeman was running for the doughnuts they had there. I think someone put them in the microwave too long and he was afraid they were burning.

NotyourDadsBuick
NotyourDadsBuick 07/03/07 - 07:35 am
Dirty Dick Cheney gets his

Dirty Dick Cheney gets his way and Libby's sentence is commuted. Where's the justice? Presidential pardons and commutations are a joke and a travesty. Clinton and Rich. Bush and Libby. Pathetic. What message does that send our kids? Do the crime but don't do the time if you've got the money to curry favor with the President? Clinton and Bush have managed to destroy the integrity of the Executive Office. I warn you all now: Do not elect another Baby Boomer to the White House!

luckie
luckie 07/03/07 - 07:38 am
Pienso aprender espanol

Pienso aprender espanol tambien. Yo gringa pero yo se muy umpiquito espanol y mi gusta grande. Yo no se mucho ahora pero muy anos yo se mucho. Quiero maestra en la escuelas. IE: nombres, colores, monthes de la anos, etc. Gracias.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/03/07 - 07:39 am
I don't think the President

I don't think the President should have the power to commute a sentence or grant a pardon without the concurrence of Congress.
Myrtle Beach you forgot Nixon, that wasn't a Baby Boomer!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/03/07 - 07:39 am
I don't think the President

Myrtle Beach you forgot Nixon, that wasn't a Baby Boomer!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 07/03/07 - 07:40 am
I apologize for the double

I apologize for the double click.
Tech, don't you think that is a bit rude?

misscj0123
misscj0123 07/03/07 - 07:45 am
Contestaré a mi teléfono de

Contestaré a mi teléfono de la célula donde deseo y cuando want!Get de I a la vida!

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/03/07 - 07:45 am
English please!!! Play nice!!

English please!!! Play nice!!

misscj0123
misscj0123 07/03/07 - 07:47 am
lol pANTHER

lol pANTHER

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/03/07 - 07:50 am
The power of the chief

The power of the chief executive officer to pardon is a principle that goes back over a thousand years. Yes, the pardon can seem wrong at some times, but it exists as a check or balance on the very real possibility that a corrupt judge would hand down a grieviously wrong sentence or that a runaway jury would wrongfully convict someone. All fifty governors have pardon power and the power of the president to pardon is in the Constitution.

Belchick
Belchick 07/03/07 - 07:55 am
Why is everyone so worried

Why is everyone so worried about etiquette, in this day and age its really over rated. We have more things to worry about then when is the best time to use the cell phone.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 07/03/07 - 07:56 am
Alright misscj I don't think

Alright misscj I don't think that's espanol your speaking? I understand too much of that. Want and get come on? LMAO

cethompson
cethompson 07/03/07 - 08:00 am
Who cares about spanish. This

Who cares about spanish. This is America and it is an english speaking nation. Teach our children to speak english. After hearing the way some of these kids talk today, they need english. How come Mexico is not teaching english in there schools?

Reality
Reality 07/03/07 - 08:02 am
What does a $600 dollar phone

What does a $600 dollar phone do that a $50 phone doesn't?

misscj0123
misscj0123 07/03/07 - 08:03 am
I was trying...

I was trying...

gnx
gnx 07/03/07 - 08:05 am
Um, hullo! I strongly object

Um, hullo! I strongly object to the use of the word 'gringo'. It's no different than using the N word, even if it only identifies a particular group of people and not a particular race. I don't speak fluent spanish, but I have friends who do and they have advised me of the real meaning of that particular word. Hablo all you wish, but please leave derogatory words out of it. Thank you.

Vulcan_Rider
Vulcan_Rider 07/03/07 - 08:09 am
Honest, My firsts answer

Honest, My firsts answer would be a lot. While my phone is not $600, it is also a PDA, and I use all its many functions.

Reality
Reality 07/03/07 - 08:12 am
I can see a higher price

I can see a higher price than, I was envisioning a regular cell phone...

mystery30815
mystery30815 07/03/07 - 08:13 am
Anyone notice comments can't

Anyone notice comments can't be left on the story about the gang related shooting Sunday. Augusta is so far in denial about their gangs it won't take long for the gangs to take over.

Kettle donations rise in 2014