Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS A RANT to the person who understood not using cell phones in a church or a library but said that when it comes to a restaurant it's OK. It's called being considerate of others. Tables in restaurants are very close together, and most people talk loudly on their cells. The people beside or behind you can't enjoy their meals or conversations because of your inconsiderateness. At least put your phone on vibrate and go outside to talk.

RAVES TO entertainment writer Steven Uhles. He does his job well. I enjoy and appreciate his research and coverage of new music and movies. He is a gifted writer. He makes you think and is very amusing. See you at the show!

BEING A FOREIGN language teacher myself, I have to say that I am very disappointed that funds were allocated for only one Columbia County elementary school. If the board cannot afford to fund all elementary schools, then the program should not be offered only to students who live on the affluent side of town.

I HAVE A RANT for all the parents who take their children camping at the lake and let them run wild. I am there at least twice a month, and you would not believe the kids who go for hours with no parental supervision - swimming and jumping off the fishing docks. No parents. Many people must forget that we have sick people out here. Our kids are precious. Watch them and keep them out of harm's way. Also they could get injured or even drown. Wake up, parents.

THIS IS A RANT to the person in my office who stole the last doughnut today. I know you read the Rants & Raves, so don't even pretend you didn't take the last doughnut when you knew I had called it already.

A BIG RAVE TO THE Augusta Mall for bringing in all of these high-end retail stores and restaurants. Now, if we can just get Crate & Barrel and J. Crew.

IN THESE TIMES that we live in, where not everyone is so nice, a big rave goes out to the city of Grovetown for having such good employees. I recently moved to Grovetown and ran across such an employee. I think his name was Raymond, such a nice and helpful person. Thank you, Grovetown, for your foresight in hiring such a person.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

Martinez
Martinez 06/28/07 - 05:25 am
Are people really fighting

Are people really fighting over the last doughnut?

me1
me1 06/28/07 - 05:32 am
Was this doughnut taken in a

Was this doughnut taken in a Daycare? Sounds likes kids fighting.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/28/07 - 05:45 am
The doughnut rant is the best

The doughnut rant is the best one I've read on this site. And the funniest.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 06/28/07 - 05:45 am
Fighting over a doughnut?

Fighting over a doughnut? You probably didn't need it to start with. Fresh fruit is much better for you.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 06/28/07 - 05:47 am
What some people considers

What some people considers important amazes me.

CSRAider
CSRAider 06/28/07 - 06:36 am
The reason most people take

The reason most people take kids to the lake is so they can run wild. So if you dont want to see wild kids dont go to the lake. I remmember the fun I had as a wild and FREE child at the lake. It felt good not having mom or dad breathing down your neck.

Jenn30907
Jenn30907 06/28/07 - 06:38 am
They had doughnuts and didn't

They had doughnuts and didn't offer us any? How rude!

CSRAider
CSRAider 06/28/07 - 06:39 am
OH YES! The doughnut, Was it

OH YES! The doughnut, Was it from the Bakery in Waynesboro, If so, That is a fighting matter because they are pretty good!!

bigc
bigc 06/28/07 - 06:56 am
I know someone has been

I know someone has been thinking it so I will be the first to say it.. We know the doughnut wasn't stolen in the Sheriff's Office since no one has been shot. Or I bet CID would waste no time solving that case. How many more overused cop/doughnut jokes can be made?

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 06/28/07 - 06:57 am
Gluttony is one of the deadly

Gluttony is one of the deadly sins..

MartinezMom
MartinezMom 06/28/07 - 07:06 am
I hardly think having one

I hardly think having one doughnut is considered as Gluttony.

luckie
luckie 06/28/07 - 07:24 am
I bet the doughnut was taken

I bet the doughnut was taken at a school during summer school. Whenever there are refreshments, there are always those that want to get extra and not so much for themselves at that point and time but to take it home to either have lateror give to someone else. I am not one of those but I definitely observe those kind. They are the ones that never bring anything in or contribute.

handoff57
handoff57 06/28/07 - 07:29 am
I'm suggesting a new drivers

I'm suggesting a new drivers test in Columbia County/Evans. If you are from out of town and stepping up from a Focus to an Excursion, you must first demonstrate the ability to parallel park the county's old suburban without power steering to have the right to constantly keep your cel phone up to your head. I'm growing weary of dodging Beemahs with cel phone addicts waving their hands while running me into another lane to avoid accidents. Driving with a phone up to your head out to be outlawed!!

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 06/28/07 - 07:39 am
What's the world coming to?

What's the world coming to? Your kids aren't safe anymore, your property either. Now this. Doughnut stealing. For shame.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/28/07 - 07:41 am
Ode to the Doughnut, so round

Ode to the Doughnut, so round light and fluffy, with clarity through and through, such a sweet glaze that sends you reeling,
I wish that I had two!

kiddspur
kiddspur 06/28/07 - 07:45 am
Now we are into the donut

Now we are into the donut thiefs, who is next?????

johnsmith
johnsmith 06/28/07 - 07:47 am
Now just calm down, everyone!

Now just calm down, everyone! Given that the Senate has launched a record number of investigations in the past six months or so, I'm sure that there is plenty of manpower available for redirection to Augusta. DoughGate will be brought to light! Deep Throat is dead, but Sugared Lips can meet in secret down at the Ft. Discovery parking structure, tonight, midnight, and play some of the tapes for whichever intrepid reporter can make it...

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 06/28/07 - 07:54 am
LOL @ johnsmith !!!

LOL @ johnsmith !!!

lezniack01
lezniack01 06/28/07 - 07:57 am
To the ranter about children

To the ranter about children and the lake, and all parents who take their children. When i was a child we didnt have nearly as much meaness and my sister and myself along with my two cousins were allowed to walk all over the camp ground. In those days everyone there was like a little family. We all knew each other because we all camped every weekend.Saw the same families every weekend all my young life.So there was little worry. It was a time when the rangers would come by at night to collect your $2.00 (can you believe $2.00)for the nights stay. He would sit at your table and talk and laugh and have some dinner and knew every one by name. Great guys! I sure missed them when they put up all the the gates.However, we also followed the rules. It was a crime punishable by almost death to ever enter the water unless an adult from our family was watching us.So we never did. We respected our parents and respected the fact that there are only three things in this world that you cant control.Water being number one on the list.People do not realise the danger of children swimming alone or even with a group of kids.I lost 3 friends to the river and the lake . My age, 36.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/28/07 - 08:00 am
Oops, the tapes have a 5

Oops, the tapes have a 5 minute gap of dead time on them!
We may never know! They were accidentally erased when a stenographer attempted to wipe some rasberry filling of them!

@@BC18live
@@BC18live 06/28/07 - 08:02 am
life is short. be thankful

life is short. be thankful for your health, family , and friends, and living in the usa, and most of all thank god for all your blessings. why worry about a donut, that is bad for you .

woeisyou
woeisyou 06/28/07 - 08:02 am
was it a chocalate

was it a chocalate donut????could be racisism
(spelling ok ?)

cinbella
cinbella 06/28/07 - 08:21 am
I sent in a legitimate rant

I sent in a legitimate rant and it hasn't ran but stolen doughnuts runs. Typical Augusta!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/28/07 - 08:33 am
Life is like a doughnut,

Life is like a doughnut, whatever you do comes back to you. Whether it be good or bad, it always comes back.
So go for the good doughnuts!

misscj0123
misscj0123 06/28/07 - 08:51 am
To the ranter about the last

To the ranter about the last donut... are you a police officer?

butterflygina
butterflygina 06/28/07 - 08:52 am
The comments are better than

The comments are better than the rants!

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 06/28/07 - 08:53 am
It was probaly Marrion

It was probaly Marrion Williams who stole the last Doughnut before Calvin could get to it.

misscj0123
misscj0123 06/28/07 - 08:54 am
Just look for the person in

Just look for the person in the ofice walking around with 10 extra pounds on their bottom. That is the one who stole your donut! I know donuts do that to me!

Honden
Honden 06/28/07 - 08:58 am
I took the donut because you

I took the donut because you had already eaten half of them while the rest of us were WORKING. I didn't really care whether or not YOU had ..."called" it as the rest of us are tired of you being a lazy pig that complains about everything.

ps. WHY don't you bring in some donuts for the rest of us for a change. ( who do you think is responsible for bringing them in ) heres a hint...It's NOT the Easter Bunny.

Silly Rabbit

misscj0123
misscj0123 06/28/07 - 08:59 am
As for the kids running

As for the kids running around unsupervised...I agree. There are small kids that play in the street I live on and the parents are no where to be seen while these 'toddlers' are out on their tricycles. I sincerely hope nothing tragic happens to one of these children while their parents are not paying attention to them. It was said it takes a village to raise a child....well in this case I guess it does. I constantly have to tell these children to get out of the street and only play in their yards so they do not get hurt or killed by a car. I also worry that child predators could be lurking around as one could easily snatch up one of these small children. PARENTS: PAY ATTENTION, PLEASE!!