Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

A RANT FOR THE sidewalk bikers. What ever happened to the push-them-on-the-sidewalk/pedal-them-on-the-street saying?

THIS RANT IS FOR the Augusta airport. They need to change their saying to fly there and take a bus back home.

THIS IS A RANT about people trying to raise money to save the Georgia Golf Hall of Fame. Who cares about that when we have more important projects in our community, such as the Augusta Youth Center? They couldn't pay to keep their gas on at one time. And now it's looking worse and falling apart as time passes. Where are the individuals who will step up for the youth of our community instead of always looking out for those with deep pockets?

I HAVE A RANT about the doctors who want to cut all the Medicaid patients out. Twenty years ago, they sucked all the Medicaid dry, and they treated those patients better than people with regular insurance. But now they have Sonny Perdue in the mix, and he's cutting all the medical programs out. Maybe they got what they asked for.

THIS IS IN RESPONSE to the rant about needing a grocery store on Highway 25. I also know that we desperately need one out here at the Target shopping center in the Wheeler Road area. We have no grocery store at all since Winn-Dixie closed. We have a new electronic store that we don't need, and now there are three of them together. We need another grocery store.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

Reality
Reality 06/22/07 - 06:52 am
Marion Williams, he's the

Marion Williams, he's the man, if he doesn't pay taxes,that means we all can.

givemeabreak
givemeabreak 06/22/07 - 07:31 am
If the government didn't hand

If the government didn't hand Medicaid cards out like candy then maybe the Medicaid programs would not be running out of money.... I can promise you, its not the doctors "sucking" up all the money. Why don't you look around at your friends, neighbors, relatives and co-workers I bet at least 4-5 of them are receiving Medicaid benefits because they lied on their application about their income...... The government needs to wake up, do an extensive back ground check on anyone who applies for Medicaid... and QUIT handing those green cards out so freely.......

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 06/22/07 - 08:00 am
Any Commissioner who doesn't

Any Commissioner who doesn't pay taxes, should not be sitting in a commission meeting telling the city what to do with city money. Especially a tacky tribute to James Brown

myobgdi
myobgdi 06/22/07 - 08:31 am
AMEN, givemeabreak

AMEN, givemeabreak

aintryt
aintryt 06/22/07 - 08:34 am
How about getting rid of all

How about getting rid of all these stupid speed humps/bumps in the neighborhoods. Why aren't there any sidewalks anymore? The streets were made for cars - not kids, bikes, basketball goals etc.

misscj0123
misscj0123 06/22/07 - 09:07 am
It is a shame that people who

It is a shame that people who REALLY NEED medicaid may have to suffer and not receive good medical care because of so many who abuse the system. givemeabreak makes a very good point.

localman
localman 06/22/07 - 09:08 am
The government can't do

The government can't do background checks on Medicare and welfare receipients but they will have no trouble doing them on 12 million immigrants? Yeah...right...and I have some land to sell ya in the Florida Everglades...

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 06/22/07 - 09:24 am
aintryt, streets are made for

aintryt, streets are made for bikes too. It's illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk. That's why you have bike lanes in a lot of cities and neighborhoods. And kids play in the yards & streets in neighborhoods, that's why they have speed bumps so that when little Johnny's basketball rolls out of the driveway into the street and he runs to go get it you're not flying around the neighborhood at 40 mph and make a street pancake out of little Johnny.

twman
twman 06/22/07 - 09:25 am
If you want a grocery store

If you want a grocery store you have to open one there first. Then,all the major chains will open one next to you to put you out of busuness.

twman
twman 06/22/07 - 09:41 am
Improperly made speed bumps

Improperly made speed bumps can tear an oil pan off or knock a car out of alignment. Since Sheriff Barney, won't arrest the hookers in Harrisburg,who are transporting drugs and HIV all over the area,he should have plenty of room in the jail to put the speeders.

johnsmith
johnsmith 06/22/07 - 10:14 am
Since the AC comments

Since the AC comments function is (shock! surprise!) not working on the "How about some heterosexual pride" letter, here is johnsmith's incisive, witty comment: Ms Myers, I have a recommendation for you. Rather than insist on a heterosexual pride day, here is a better way for you to show your opposition to homosexuality: refuse to engage in homosexual activity! That's right, I am taking the revolutionary approach of counseling you to insist upon your right not to have intercourse with another woman. THAT will put those abominators in their place!

aintryt
aintryt 06/22/07 - 10:15 am
Weekapaugh I stand corrected

Weekapaugh I stand corrected - bikes are allowed on the streets, but not all over the place. They have to follow the road rules. Kids should be in the yard - not on the streets. We have a HUGE problem in our neighborhood with kids in the streets. They'll see you coming and refuse to move. I almost creamed a girl who shot out of her yard into the street on a scooter without looking. Who will get blamed when little Johnny gets creamed and I'm going below the speed limit?

johnsmith
johnsmith 06/22/07 - 10:23 am
Those scooters and go-karts

Those scooters and go-karts and whatnot have no place whatsoever on the streets. I feel a little sick every time I see the small children in my neighborhood, in their dark clothes, on their tiny little vehicles, with no lights and no safety equipment at all, buzzing around the neighborhood at twilight, while the drivers speed through at 45+. And many of you are right--the solution is not speedbumps, but parents with more than one brain cell...

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 06/22/07 - 10:33 am
Well the problem is that a

Well the problem is that a lot of parents don't take any pride in raising their children and instilling in them common sense. Parents need to explain to their kids that playing in the road is dangerous and that when you're out at night walking the streets to wear brighter colored clothing or reflectors. The problem is that these parents have no common sense themselves. It blows me away when, and I'm not being racist here it's completely a matter of how light reflects, a black person wearing black clothing is crossing the street at night and expect me to be able to see them when I'm cruising down Broad St. When it's dark outside you have dark skin complexion and wear dark clothing you kinda blend in, you know like a ninja. And aintryt you're the one who will get blamed when little Johnny who wasn't paying attention jumps right out in front of your car.

jredneckgurl
jredneckgurl 06/22/07 - 10:35 am
You cant lie on your medicaid

You cant lie on your medicaid application about your income.. you have to submit your last 4 pay stubs every time you apply or reapply! You have to have proof. Or Proof of unemployment or whatever.. you cant lie on the application!!!

johnsmith
johnsmith 06/22/07 - 10:37 am
jredneck, people lie about

jredneck, people lie about their income all the time. How do you think they cheat on their taxes? You are assuming that every dime somebody takes home shows up on a pay stub...

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 06/22/07 - 10:38 am
The neighborhood I live in

The neighborhood I live in doesn't have any speed bumps but their are a lot of children in the neighborhood so I just take it nice and slow. But I live in a neighborhood that's a big loop and not like the Harrisburg area where kids and adults for that matter will just walk out in front of you in the middle of the road and expect you to stop. One night I almost plowed a little girl who couldn't be older than 8 with my truck one night on Hicks St. cause she just ran out in the road after her ball without even looking to see if there was any traffic. On another note I started noticing when folks reply to me they tag an "h" onto the end of my little handle name there. I've wondering why people's brains make them want that "h" ...

pimpernell
pimpernell 06/22/07 - 10:51 am
Rant for the Letters to the

Rant for the Letters to the Editor on this blog, I can't post a reply. ...............Preoccupation with sexual orientation and the ensuing benefits and disadvantages seems to dominate the vox populi of the CSRA. In sme cites the citizens rise above the hierarchy of visceral needs and have interests in the Arts, good government, pride in civic accomplishment, vibrant economy, excellence in education, architecture, innovation, public amenites and general quatlity of life. The current epistle in a long list of similar ones belies the fact that Augusta and Environs has little else to think about since it reposes in the fetal position contemplating its genitals while the rest of the world goes by.

pimpernell
pimpernell 06/22/07 - 10:53 am
That last one was a reply to

That last one was a reply to Cyndi who wrote in about
"Let's get some heterosexual pride"
I suggest we get pride in other things than sex.

aintryt
aintryt 06/22/07 - 10:53 am
I'll add to that one

I'll add to that one weekapaug - Parent's are raising a me me me / not my child generation. When school starts up again the road will be blocked by dare ya to hit me kids and cars lined up on both sides of the street cause little Johnny can hang in the streets in all types of weather all weekend but can't handle the elements for 10-15 minutes while waiting for the bus to arrive. The veteran kids at the stop know now to move themselves and their property (bookbags etc..) out of the way after we creamed a few (bags - not kids) It was either the bags or the cars.

johnsmith
johnsmith 06/22/07 - 10:57 am
pimpernell...but they're such

pimpernell...but they're such attractive genitals...

BoldTruth
BoldTruth 06/22/07 - 10:57 am
I hear you all about the

I hear you all about the medicaid problem, but with what many people get paid on jobs here in Augusta and most of Georgia in fact, it would be very very difficult to afford medical insurance so they need medicaid. Yes there are some who abuse the system, but that will come back on them. For the most part many working people need medicaid. I just Thank GOD that I don't.

what11
what11 06/22/07 - 11:16 am
What the problem is is that

What the problem is is that there are people out there with Medicaid that don't work but are perfectly capable. They'd just rather mooch off the gov't since it is so convenient and easy for them. Get off your butt and get a job so I don't have to pay for your lazy ___. I'm sick of people getting free stuff while everyone else is working their butts off living paycheck to paycheck trying to make ends meet. A reevaluation should be done every single month! If there is no effort to get a job, then cut them off!! Isn't it China that has a limit on how many children you can have?? We are already overpopulated, there should be a solution. Get birth control and quit having kids that you can't take care of and won't take care of just to get the money. There sure are some sorry people in this world.

fastkat27
fastkat27 06/22/07 - 11:30 am
People have to ride bikes on

People have to ride bikes on the sidewalks but the folks in cars try to run us over when we ride like we're supposed to on the streets!

johnsmith
johnsmith 06/22/07 - 11:42 am
Bold--show me someone who is

Bold--show me someone who is working full time, multiple jobs, has not chosen to have children they cannot support, and is not wasting money on luxuries he or she cannot afford, and I'll show you someone who is deserving of assistance from the government. I have been in that situation in the past, and it turned out that I did not need government assistance...

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 06/22/07 - 11:44 am
fastkat, if you're scared say

fastkat, if you're scared say scared. lol, that's true though I've come close to being clipped on my bike before too.

misscj0123
misscj0123 06/22/07 - 12:07 pm
Scared? Scared is when you go

Scared? Scared is when you go to Six Flags, get on a ride, and lose both your feet by the time the ride is over. To me, That is scared.

jed
jed 06/22/07 - 12:22 pm
Let me get this straight- our

Let me get this straight- our Federal government and state government supports a man kneeling in front of another for sexual enjoyment ? And we wonder why taxes are so high and we can't close the border- - - - - - duh

misscj0123
misscj0123 06/22/07 - 12:37 pm
Jed I am curious. What does

Jed I am curious. What does one have to do with the other?

Vulcan_Rider
Vulcan_Rider 06/22/07 - 12:41 pm
I am not sure about that

I am not sure about that connection either. I don't care what gay folks do in whatever setting they are doing it in, however, I worry about the invasion of Mexicans into this country.