Rants and raves

THIS IS A RANT to the idiot thing about people using cell phones in the restaurant. I agree they should not be used in church or a library - but a restaurant? Let me know what restaurant you sit at, so I can sit right next to you and use my phone. Get a life!

THIS IS A MESSAGE for Mayor Copenhaver concerning the Golf Hall of Fame. I think the money could be spent more on cutting the grass on Marks Church Road or putting in a sidewalk. We need more public safety, and that should be top priority, instead of a Golf Hall of Fame or having a James Brown museum.

THIS IS A BIG RANT for dog owners who walk their dogs on retractable leashes and allow them to urinate and poop in other people's yards. When I walk my dog, she does not go in anyone else's yard, and I would appreciate the same courtesy.

THIS IS A RANT to everyone who has a mailbox on the street. How do you expect police, fire or EMS to find you when the numbers on your mailbox are too small, peeling off, covered up by plants, faded or on the wrong side of the box? People need to get numbers that are 3 inches high, reflective and put them on both sides of the box. The post office is not the only one that uses your mailbox. If you don't do that, you have no right to complain when emergency personnel take too long to get to you.

IF WE ARE SO WORRIED about our water levels right now, then why was the county landscape at Washington and Furys Ferry running its sprinklers while it was raining? A few businesses are doing the same thing. Why should they get to slide?

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 06/20/07 - 04:28 am
Any one know of a good bakery

Any one know of a good bakery in Augusta. Not the grocery stores or Krem Bulee. I mean where you can get something oogie gooie and choloclate. I miss Smokes and Bates Bakeries. I thought about making something, but I am not allowed in the kitchen. The boys do the shopping and take turns cooking. We really eat good. BUT, there are no sweets, chips or candy ever bought. I am in need of some real sweets and my stach is depleted My 110 pound 5'4 frame is screaming suger this morning. I need a REAL BAKERY. Any suggestions??

LadyCisback
LadyCisback 06/20/07 - 05:39 am
There are no good bakeries

There are no good bakeries here in augusta.. the best ones are in europe.

mou10man
mou10man 06/20/07 - 05:45 am
This is to the idiot that

This is to the idiot that wants to sit by someone in a restaurant and use his cell phone. Yeah I want to try to enjoy my meal and talk to the people at my table and listen to some moron talking on their cell phone so loud that everyone in that area of the restaurant can hear them. Have you ever noticed that people who talk on cell phones in public always talk loud enough for everyone to hear their "special" consversation? This seems to me to indicate the need for attention. You know like a little child tugging at your pants leg saying "look what I have, ain't it great".

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 06/20/07 - 06:05 am
I agree about people using

I agree about people using their cell phones in a restaurant, I also can't stand when people are on the phone when checking out of a store...It's very rude to the cashier and the people waiting in line behind them. I don't want to hear your personal business.I think people do like the attention a cell phone gives them"Look at me,I have a cell phone" well I don't care !

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 06/20/07 - 06:07 am
Thanks cristinadh, but europe

Thanks cristinadh, but europe is little out of the way today. As big as Augusta is, why oh why don't we have at least one great bakery??????????What would be great would be those little lemon cakes with the gooie lemon filling, chewy horseshoes, those sticky sweet buns, thick cheesecake with thick blueberry toppings. I'm still looking for suggestions.

Khaaaaaan
Khaaaaaan 06/20/07 - 06:09 am
American Rose, try Lil' Dutch

American Rose, try Lil' Dutch Bakery--it's in the Kmart shopping center on Washington Road. You won't be disappointed!

peonynut
peonynut 06/20/07 - 06:15 am
Or sunshine bakery on Broad

Or sunshine bakery on Broad

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 06/20/07 - 06:22 am
Thanks Khaaaaaan!!! I eat

Thanks Khaaaaaan!!! I eat breakfast most mornings at the Sunshine Grill and it's almost next door. That's a thought, and isn't there one in Waynesboro too? I will be going down to Fort Stewart later this morning and I may see what they have.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 06/20/07 - 06:26 am
American Rose, Take a drive

American Rose, Take a drive down to Waynesboro Georgia to the Pineland Bakery. It is owned and operated by our Mennonite Community, and is wonderful. People regularly come from as far away as 50 miles, just for their apple fritters. Your sugar craving will be satisfied....

alias1
alias1 06/20/07 - 06:28 am
AmericanRose, there is a

AmericanRose, there is a bakery in Waynesboro. Its called pineland bakery, its GREAT, and inexpensive. its on hwy 56 on the other side of town, cross over hwy 25 on hwy 56 and its down on the right about a mile. everything in there is good.

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 06/20/07 - 06:32 am
You all have wonderful

You all have wonderful suggestions. I will be checking all of these out. Beach Music, did you say yummie apple fritters? Like I said, I'm going thru Waynesboro today. OOPS, time to get dressed and get going. Thank you all again.

owensjef
owensjef 06/20/07 - 06:40 am
gThis a rant to the Augusta

gThis a rant to the Augusta Chronicle , Readers come on this site and call Marion Williams all kids of names and the comment stays. The same type of comment about Woody Merry is said and it gets removed. Why?

wwjd
wwjd 06/20/07 - 06:43 am
Not sure ot the name, but

Not sure ot the name, but there is a bakery in front of Wal-mart on Bobby-jones
It is really good.
The people are also very friendly.

kokousa
kokousa 06/20/07 - 06:58 am
owensjef; I don’t agree with

owensjef; I don’t agree with Marion Williams nor do I agree with Woody Merry both of them are idiots. Unfortunately the people of Augusta can’t get it right they keep electing people who have no knowledge of how government works. Most of the commissioners were elected because the people in the community knew them and not because they had the skills needed to run a governing body. So here’s a little advice for you, don’t fight for Williams or any of the other commissioners, the fight should be to galvanized the people (ALL) of Augusta to get rid of “ALL of the COMMISSIONERS” all of them are set in their ridiculous ways and will never change and move this city forward.

Kim Luciani
Kim Luciani 06/20/07 - 07:23 am
owensjef: Comments are

owensjef: Comments are removed if they contain profanity or otherwise violate our comments policy.

luckie
luckie 06/20/07 - 07:25 am
A friend told me they just

A friend told me they just opened a new bakery in Thomson that is great. Don't know too much more but you can ask around.

ivymist
ivymist 06/20/07 - 07:36 am
Dang it, now I want bakery

Dang it, now I want bakery food and I definitely have made it a goal not to eat that way for a while. Although I must say it IS nice to see a discussion about something that is not whiny or complaining.
I'll go have cereal and hope for the best.

misscj0123
misscj0123 06/20/07 - 07:37 am
The bakery on Bobby Jones is

The bakery on Bobby Jones is called the Cake Factory and they do make very, very good deserts and cakes.

misscj0123
misscj0123 06/20/07 - 07:39 am
Thanks to the person who

Thanks to the person who mentioned the name of the bakery in Waynesboro. I had forgotten the name and did not know the location. One of my co-workers had brought in some apple fritters and cinnamon rolls from there. It was wonderful!

ivymist
ivymist 06/20/07 - 07:40 am
I've heard the Cake Factory

I've heard the Cake Factory has really amazing wedding cookies as well. I've not made it to cereal yet.

NEone
NEone 06/20/07 - 07:52 am
Thanks for the Cake Factory

Thanks for the Cake Factory name. For a moment I was afraid you were talking about Krispy Kreme!

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 06/20/07 - 07:53 am
Very Vera is a pretty good

Very Vera is a pretty good bakery ... a little pricey though

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 06/20/07 - 07:57 am
And about cell phones in

And about cell phones in resturants, it's one of my pet peaves when folks are on their cell phone in resturants. A lot of cell phone rings are loud and obnoxious and disturb others that are dinning around you. And if you're anything like my mom, then you're one of those folks that feels like they have to speak much louder when they're on a cell phone than when in normal conversation, which is also disturbing. So turn your ringers off and step outside or up to the bar when you're on your phone when out dinning please.

rjay
rjay 06/20/07 - 08:03 am
Neone, they said bakery not

Neone, they said bakery not crap store

rj1960j10
rj1960j10 06/20/07 - 08:12 am
i get the Bear Claws from the

i get the Bear Claws from the Pineland Bakery

owensjef
owensjef 06/20/07 - 08:21 am
Thanks for nothing Chronicle.

Thanks for nothing Chronicle.

zzzman
zzzman 06/20/07 - 08:32 am
I don't own a cell phone,heck

I don't own a cell phone,heck I hate to answer the phone at the house,why would I want one ringing on my hip or pocket.Just call me "old school".As to anybody else I don't care where you talk on your phone.I just don't want to hear how your dog barffed on your rug,or that your girlfriend has crabs! Why can't they just talk without getting so loud?

localman
localman 06/20/07 - 08:32 am
If you know the person who

If you know the person who lets their dog poop in your yard, just start dumping a bag trash in their yard. That works better than running over and pooping in their yard, I found out.

whatever1
whatever1 06/20/07 - 08:34 am
the bakery in Thomson never

the bakery in Thomson never has anything fresh. It is always day old??? how does that happen. They are open at breakfast but they never have anything ready.

cute_plum
cute_plum 06/20/07 - 08:34 am
The Dessert Shop in Evans on

The Dessert Shop in Evans on Fury Ferry's road is so yummy....the burbon pecan pie and the creme brulee are the best.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...