Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

WE HAD A GOOD laugh. Someone should tell your writer that "moray" is an eel. The word he wants is "mores."

THIS IS A RANT for all the single parents. Everything in the paper is about single parents. Don't you Southern women have any respect? These men don't care about you. If they did, you wouldn't be a single parent.

I HAVE AN EXCELLENT idea to save the gardens. Why not build lovely, moderately priced homes with a gated community? Let's improve the gardens in a pleasing way as well as the gardens already established.

THIS IS FOR the person talking about the speed humps. They're speed bumps.

THIS RANT IS FOR THE Richmond County police department. How can they break the law but you can't? They tell you that if someone lives with you and they leave with their stuff, and then later want to come back, they have the right to kick down your door. I don't understand it.

YOU MUST BE CRAZY if you think that our economy was stronger and that we had low gas prices and jobs under Jimmy Carter. I remember the long lines at the gas station and the gas was higher back then. Unemployment was in the double digits, and our economy was not strong. We were going through the same stuff that we're going through now. Read your history books people.

IF BEN HARBIN HAD been arrested in Augusta, we would have never heard about it. It would have been covered up if it was local.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

henryb
henryb 06/14/07 - 04:34 am
This is a rave for the

This is a rave for the columbia county sheriffs dept and the trauma unit at mcg. I am the driver of the semi that lost its brakes and crashed off of exit 183 on May the 15th and I want to say thanks to all these professionals and the way they performed that day. Also a very deep from my heart thank you to the man who stopped and aided me until police and the helicopter arrived....May god bless you all.

stumpjumper
stumpjumper 06/14/07 - 05:43 am
In regards single parents and

In regards single parents and being southern..........where did you get your info ? It no doubt came out of that yankee head of yours. This just dosen't happen in the south. It happens East, West, NORTH, and South. I suggest you get your facts together and take them back where you came from.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 06/14/07 - 06:54 am
Amen stumpjumper!

Amen stumpjumper!

MartinezMom
MartinezMom 06/14/07 - 07:01 am
To the person that said,

To the person that said, "THIS IS A RANT for all the single parents", You say that southern women have no respect. Would we have more repect if we stayed with the men that don't care about us? I found my self respect when I left the deadbeat I was married to and became a single Mom.

MartinezMom
MartinezMom 06/14/07 - 07:02 am
There are speed bumps AND

There are speed bumps AND there are speed humps. There is a difference.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 06/14/07 - 07:09 am
I think the South should have

I think the South should have it's own immigration bill, starting with yankees.

localman
localman 06/14/07 - 07:12 am
Speed humps causes single

Speed humps causes single moms.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 06/14/07 - 07:15 am
LOL@localman.

LOL@localman.

mystery30815
mystery30815 06/14/07 - 07:30 am
In regards to single moms,

In regards to single moms, did you ever stop to consider how some of these women became single? Maybe their husbands diesd, maybe their husbands beat them and they left, maybe their husbands continued to cheat on them and they left. Please don't judge others.

rj1960j10
rj1960j10 06/14/07 - 07:35 am
why just single moms what

why just single moms what about single dads.

Yorkiemom
Yorkiemom 06/14/07 - 07:56 am
I can't believe they even

I can't believe they even printed that rant about single parents. Some of the best kids grow up from a single parent.

Yorkiemom
Yorkiemom 06/14/07 - 08:02 am
Henryb --- Glad your doing

Henryb --- Glad your doing better. Was not there but I read about the wreck in the paper. Good luck and God Bless You

SilentJ
SilentJ 06/14/07 - 08:04 am
Henry I am glad you are

Henry I am glad you are ok!!That had to be an awful experience!!

LoveBlackAndWhite
LoveBlackAndWhite 06/14/07 - 08:15 am
I'm for "make the death

I'm for "make the death penalty usable in every state" day. Want to sign my petition?

lookingforhim2
lookingforhim2 06/14/07 - 08:33 am
Hey CyndiC... I will pray for

Hey CyndiC... I will pray for you and others who think like you. I am a Yankee and hubby and I came here because of his job. God put his job here and we obeyed God. Not our choice but HIS.. however...we do love Augusta and are glad to be here.

lorettaeidson
lorettaeidson 06/14/07 - 08:40 am
Ben Harbin made a mistake, No

Ben Harbin made a mistake, No one is perfect. Everyone is so Hungry for abuse, No one actually sees The Man. He is a very good person. One mistake in all his years as a politician, Come on People, Get A Life.

Amy
Amy 06/14/07 - 08:52 am
n/a

Amy
Amy 06/14/07 - 08:59 am
What's up with the Aiken

What's up with the Aiken County Sheriffs Office and their communications division? There was a lady working there a few years back who used to call me to check on the status of my stolen items. She was very pleasant and nice. Now is hear she is not there anymore, she's been replaced and the person that replaced her is gone to. Ms. Randall, wherever you are now, i wish you luck and you're missed. Aiken County residents will miss you. To the Aiken County Sheriffs Office, why are good people always leaving your office. Michael Hunt you should be doing everything you can to keep these people, they make you look good!!!!!!! Think about it!!

debby
debby 06/14/07 - 09:06 am
I am a single parent and darn

I am a single parent and darn proud of it. Since my ex of 10 years left me for a tall, skinny, blonde woman, I graduated from college and then earned a Masters Degree and had a 4.0 GPA. I was a stay at home mom while married. My two kids excel academically, socially, and in sports or band. One is in her 3rd year at UGA in the PharmD program. She'll have Dr. before her name before she turns 23 years old. The other has been on the honor roll for her entire school career...she rarely earns less than an A, even in Honors or AP classes.....Yeah, I'm glad that cheating scumbag is gone, and I'm clearly much better off without him and his constant extracurricular activities.

whatever1
whatever1 06/14/07 - 09:09 am
a couple of things--single

a couple of things--single parents are not limited to the South--they are in every corner of this country and the world.

Also, there is a difference between speed humps and bumps. The humps are much wider and higher. They have them is parts of Atlanta--in the Virginia Highlands neighborhood and they are used in upscale neighborhoods in FL.

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 06/14/07 - 09:09 am
speed humps causes single

speed humps causes single moms thats funny, and can we please leave Mr. Harbin out of the paper for one week? He made a mistake, is anyone here perfect? Last time I checked, NO!

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 06/14/07 - 09:15 am
Hey, hey, hey watch the "Y"

Hey, hey, hey watch the "Y" word now! LOL I'm one of those Yankee's and I totally agree with you stumpjumper. There are single parents all over the US not just the south. Cyndick you darlin are ignorant! You don't know me and therefore have no right to judge me! So get your head out this fine Carolina sand and get a life will ya!!!

hidingoutagain
hidingoutagain 06/14/07 - 09:26 am
Hats off to the Richmond

Hats off to the Richmond County Sherrifs Department for making the River Walk a safe place to take an evening stroll. Your presence adds a sense of security to those of us who like to enjoy a leisurely walk in the night air. THANK YOU FOR KEEPING US SAFE!!!

jredneckgurl
jredneckgurl 06/14/07 - 09:27 am
Amen.. I was a single mother

Amen.. I was a single mother and Im a southern girl but The deadbeat dad is a northerner.. what do you have to say to that.. Single parents are all over and they are single probably because of certain circumstances. So just because you are in the "south" has nothing to do with a parent being single.. why dont you go back to wherever it is you came from where single parents do not exist. I hopw you will be catching a boat to somewhere because its not anywhere in this country!

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 06/14/07 - 09:28 am
"CyndiCk" that was an

"CyndiCk" that was an ignorant statement! My husband,my oldest son and myself are from the North. We have been down South for 23 years and call the south our home. We wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I am appalled you would say that statement about people you don't know, we are honest hard working people. Get a life!!!!!!!!!!!

Galan Lewis
Galan Lewis 06/14/07 - 09:45 am
My best friend is a single

My best friend is a single mother not by choice. Her exhusband did drugs really bad, didn't care for her after they married, and she was scared he'd case harm to her child, so she left him to protect her child! She has been better off without him, and is raising a 7-year-old by herself and I respect her more than anyone for staying strong in her worst times with a dead-beat husband/dad. He still does drugs, doesn't pay child support, doesn't care to see his son, and she has raised her child all by herself, and her and her son are much better off.

zzzman
zzzman 06/14/07 - 09:50 am
Three things that frighten us

Three things that frighten us "Southerners" rattlesnakes,tornados,and yankees pulling U-Hauls......just kidding!!!!

cricketflea
cricketflea 06/14/07 - 09:52 am
In regards to the single mom

In regards to the single mom comment: I am a single mom. It was not of my own choosing in the beginning. I THOUGHT I was in a marriage that was solid and forever until my husband chose to go outside of it after 16 years and looked under the nearest rock for a wh___!! All this AFTER I worked to put him through school and get HIS career going! Now I am a single mom. And now, after putting my life back together, I wouldn't have it any other way! So, whoever you are with you high and mighty rant about single mothers, YOU are the one who needs to be sweeping around your door, evaluating YOUR life, and then probably you need to crawl back in your cave and STAY there!! My ex-husband is so wrapped up in his new life he doesn't even bother to see his son, who, by the way, at 16, is growing into one of the finest young men I know. Just ask anyone in my neighborhood, they all say the same thing.

Galan Lewis
Galan Lewis 06/14/07 - 09:53 am
Another thing to think about,

Another thing to think about, let's say your husband beats you to no end everyday, with your small child watching, and you have the choice to continue this marriage or to be a single mother, which would you chose, for the safety of you and your child? Stay with him, or become a single mother? I know which one I would chose, and that was what my mother-in-law chose. And my husband is the best man in the world because of that. He could have seen what his father did to his mom, and would have just thought that it was the right thing to do, and God knows what could have happened if she stayed with him. I admire all single parents! I'm not a single mother, and it's still hard being married and raising kids with two parents, it's hard work, I can only think of how hard it would be doing it alone.

A BIG RAVE TO ALL SINGLE PARENTS!!!!!

crabcakesandfootball
crabcakesandfootball 06/14/07 - 10:03 am
If a man beats his wife, he

If a man beats his wife, he is the biggest piece of s**t in the world. He should have someone beat the crud out of him and then see how he feels. BTW, I am a guy and I would never think of laying a hand on any female ever.