Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS FOR THE WELFARE system. If you made the fathers pay child support, then you would have to pay out half as much as you do.

THIS IS TO ALL THE PEOPLE who water on the days they aren't supposed to: This doesn't help the water shortage, and you need to water on the days that you are supposed to.

THIS IS ABOUT phone numbers that were put in the newspaper to report people in Richmond County who are not abiding by the water restrictions. I called both numbers, and they gave me an automated service that would call me back the next day or maintenance office numbers. I didn't get through to report the violations.

REP. BEN HARBIN is not a role model for our young Republicans. I think instead of thanking God he wasn't hurt when he was drunk, he ought to thank God he didn't hurt any innocent bystanders. What is this man thinking?

SURELY, YOU DON'T suggest that the cops give each other a break because of their stickers? Certainly not in Augusta; heaven forbid!

I HAVE COME TO THE conclusion that abuse of power is a disease that radically affects those in power.

A RAVE TO ALL THE local businesses, especially cemeteries and funeral homes, that fly our flag high but can't seem to lower it to half staff in honor of those who gave all to keep it flying high.

THIS IS A RAVE FOR the 18 residents of Country Club Hill, who proudly displayed their American flags on Memorial Day. It's a shame that so few took the advantage to display loyalty for those who have paid oftentimes with their lives, and the others still fighting, for our country. I hope they do the same on July Fourth.

I HAVE A RANT TO PEOPLE who think they are experts on war, including Hollywood and most of the politicians in Washington. You people do not have a clue, so stop mouthing off about our soldiers. I think we should have a draft, starting with Hollywood and then the colleges.

ROLLER SKATE SHOES should not be allowed in public buildings. When parents buy these for their children, they should realize that stores and government buildings spend a lot of time waxing their floors. The skate shoes create scuffs on the floors and ruin the finish. I've also seen children pushing people out of their way as they careen out of control through stores and libraries. Parents need to take responsibility for their children and leave the skate shoes at home.

If you have an opinion you want to share, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 06/02/07 - 07:42 am
On the welfare comment, the

On the welfare comment, the father is often in question and is more often unemployed or unemployable. The type of help provided by the welfare system should be local and private. Not only would it be more difficult to get, it would carry the stigma that would make it no longer a desirable or acceptable life style. PREST-O CHANGE-O the number of children from unwed mothers would drop drastically. Men would still be dogs, but the government wouldn't be subsidizing their life style.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/02/07 - 08:10 am
Don't forget patricial...some

Don't forget patricial...some of those women are dogs too! Not all of us guys are bad. LOL

Jenn30907
Jenn30907 06/02/07 - 08:38 am
Here's a concept: Pro-rate

Here's a concept: Pro-rate welfare. If someone on welfare finds a job, don't take all the money away. Deduct the money earned from what they receive. This gives those that want to work and incentive. However, limit the amount a time one can receive a full welfare check to 2 years. After that, they are on there own. The concept of welfare was to help people out, and assist them in attaining independence. What has the gov't done? Made people dependent on it. Common sense fols: I fyou receive $1500 from public assistance then find a job making $8/hr, your assistance is taken away. Are you going to work when you can make more money doing nothing

Jenn30907
Jenn30907 06/02/07 - 08:39 am
Yeah, I know: "And" should

Yeah, I know: "And" should be "an", and "fols" s/b "folks". the edit button makes you delete the whole thing.

johnsmith
johnsmith 06/02/07 - 09:49 am
I once read a study that

I once read a study that claimed that it would be cheaper to give every citizen in the country a set amount (I think it was $500/month, inflation-adjusted, or something) than to continue to fund the welfare state as it is, with all the paper-pushing, bureaucratic nonsense, court fees, attorney fees, etc., etc., et-bloody-cetera. The idea being that you would have _no_ compliance costs (every citizen has a debit card and can make a monthly withdrawal), you guarantee subsistence but not cable and a car, those who have a good income would pay taxes on the extra income, and those who choose not to work would be under the tax bar. I'm sure that either the numbers don't work, or there are other flaws...the point being, once you decide that government will subsidize those who "can't" take care of themselves, you A) remove the incentive for them to achieve the ability to do so, and B) generate a constant increase in the number of people who fall in that category. I'll never forget the huge, nicely-dressed woman being interviewed on CNN who claimed that she was "homeless" because she and her four children lived in a 2-rm apt. Um...where are the daddies? Why am I paying for you all?

puzzle
puzzle 06/02/07 - 09:53 am
Those skate shoes are called

Those skate shoes are called heelys and I agree they should not be allowed in public places. I know they are not allowed in Columbia County schools. I see kids all the time in Target, the mall, restaurants, etc. flying through nearly knocking into young children, the elderly, handicapped, and waiters/wairesses carrying food or drinks. What purpose do they serve? They are similar to roller skates and roller skates aren't allowed in doors.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/02/07 - 09:59 am
While I agree that heelys

While I agree that heelys should not be allowed indoors....to ask "what purpose do they serve?" shows that you forgot what it's like to be a kid. The purpose is fun. Children need that. The parents just need to teach them where and when it is appropriate.

rj1960j10
rj1960j10 06/02/07 - 10:22 am
To the comment about welfare

To the comment about welfare and the dads. Explain this to me. I am not on welfare am a single dad and my Ex-WIFE owes more than 2000 in back support. So there are worthless women out there and they do live in your area. It is not always us "dogs" that are bad. Some women are just Hos.

rj1960j10
rj1960j10 06/02/07 - 10:36 am
I believe they are. Call the

I believe they are. Call the water department

puzzle
puzzle 06/02/07 - 10:37 am
kpc: I forgot every word and

kpc: I forgot every word and phrase here is examined - let me rephrase. What purpose do they serve indoors? They should be used like rollerskates - in the skating rink or on the sidewalk.

Rose
Rose 06/02/07 - 10:42 am
WRDW report last night that

WRDW report last night that the 2 serial robbers were arrested yesterday- one on Wheeler Road and one in Columbia,SC. The story is not in the paper nor on any of the tv websites today.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/02/07 - 10:42 am
No offense meant

No offense meant puzzle....It's just that some people tend to turn into that mean old guy on the corner who shakes his fist at the "whippersnappers." and forgets being young themselves.

Rose
Rose 06/02/07 - 11:05 am
who was it?

who was it?

BamaMan
BamaMan 06/02/07 - 11:14 am
(scratching head)

(scratching head)

kiddspur
kiddspur 06/02/07 - 11:19 am
Want to stop the wheelys --

Want to stop the wheelys -- just let the parents tell they kids they are going to get a pair so they can skate with them -- listen to the kids (Yikes- no)//////////////////

_kpc_
_kpc_ 06/02/07 - 11:21 am
LOL@kiddspur!

LOL@kiddspur!

kiddspur
kiddspur 06/02/07 - 11:23 am
kpc -- you got your

kpc -- you got your yet????????????????

Aug
Aug 06/02/07 - 11:27 am
I am a single mother with

I am a single mother with four children. My ex-husband only pays $198 per month in child support (based on his low-income job). I do receive welfare, though it is no longer in the form of a check, it is on a debit card. I receive $330 per month, and becuase of this, I only get $180 of the $198 in child support. It is called a GAP payment. I forefit $18 a month in child support in order to receive the $330 welfare (which is now called TANF-Temporary Assistance for Needy Families). People may only receive TANF for 4 years and then NEVER be eligible for it again. There IS a cut-off date! (This is different from food stamps, which I do NOT qualify for.) When that day comes, I will then begin receiving the $18 a month in child support I am currently forefiting. Hindsight, I should have married better. Perhaps I wouldn't be divorced. But people can change drastically over time, for the better or worse, and my divorce was the best decision I ever made.

Golfer
Golfer 06/02/07 - 11:33 am
To the moron that says the

To the moron that says the draft should be reinstated starting with colleges, get a life. Military is the option for the uneducated. We need the educated people here, because without us our country would fail.

zootate
zootate 06/02/07 - 11:41 am
I propose a moratorium on all

I propose a moratorium on all political cartoons having to do with gas prices. We get it already!

BFF
BFF 06/02/07 - 11:42 am
It's failing now and you are

It's failing now and you are here.

babygirl
babygirl 06/02/07 - 11:48 am
Give me the correct number so

Give me the correct number so I can tell on someone for watering their yard.........sounds like grammer school. People grow up, I wish thats all I had to worry about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take care of yourself and don't tend to everybodys business.

gcap
gcap 06/02/07 - 11:50 am
Child support and divorce

Child support and divorce rates would not be so much an issue these days if the cost of marriage and divorce were reversed. A marriage license should cost $5,000 and divorce $25. And child support should be 50/50. How many women would get pregnant under those circumstances? How many men would think before they risked becoming a father?

BFF
BFF 06/02/07 - 11:51 am
I don't think money and

I don't think money and payments are what they are thinking about at the time of conception. Are you for real?

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 06/02/07 - 11:59 am
Well Golfer, if it wasn't for

Well Golfer, if it wasn't for the "uneducated military" you wouldn't have the freedom to go to college. While the other guy was wrong in his post, your immature post was no better.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 06/02/07 - 12:02 pm
babygirl.... we are in a

babygirl.... we are in a drought and if you don't understand the seriousness of a drought....you grow up.... don't whine not one bit when you cant get water period!!!

NEone
NEone 06/02/07 - 12:47 pm
The military is for the

The military is for the uneducated? Gee, my husband is almost finished with his third master's degree and is still serving Uncle Sam. And thanks taxpayers, as you are paying for this one. ;) Should we get out? Nope. Not only do we not want to, but the military won't let him--all separations for his MOS are being refused. Guess we'll continue working with all those "uneducated" soldiers who are fighting for YOUR freedom.

heartablazing69
heartablazing69 06/02/07 - 12:49 pm
Columbia County is under

Columbia County is under water restriction, but you are allowed to wash your car if you have a nozzle on your hose. Watering restrictions are in place for people that leave the water running for ever or watering the street instead of the grass. so park your car on your lawn, wash it and your grass gets water too.

jdcooper
jdcooper 06/02/07 - 01:43 pm
For the person wondering

For the person wondering about whether or not Columbia County has watering restrictions. If you lived here, and looked at your water bill- it tells you! Are you actually a Columbia County resident? Or are you just a busy-body? As for the lady wondering about whether she'll get the $18 from her welfare check.... Perhaps a J.O.B. would help out.

senior.23
senior.23 06/02/07 - 01:44 pm
golfer you sound like one of

golfer you sound like one of those "bleeding hearts" who would be the first to whine about a loss of any rights should it be not for the proud who do willing serve to preserve your right to have such selfish ideals