Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

ON MAY 9, 2007, we have just lost the whole Republic. Long live King George I of the USA. He has - with his Homeland Security Directive - said he can throw Congress out for as long as he sees fit. This is very troubling.

JIMMY CARTER, when he was seeking to be re-elected, Iran was holding American citizens hostage. When it was official he had lost, Iran released the hostages. Does anyone remember Ross Perot?

THE KU KLUX KLAN hasn't been active in the Augusta area since the early '70s.

ALL OVER AUGUSTA we have people with no income becoming addicted to expensive items such as cigarettes and crack cocaine. They end up pestering people to lend them money or do odd jobs or worse - stealing. It makes society a less safe place.

I'D LIKE TO TALK about Ben Harbin out in Columbia County. He must be changed to a Democrat since he's blaming everybody else for his problems. And I'm happy that he thanked the Lord that he wasn't hurt, but I'm thankful to the Lord that he didn't hurt any other families.

BOTTOM LINE: We don't need new immigration laws. We just need to actually enforce the current immigration laws.

THIS IS A RANT ABOUT my mailman - he didn't pick up my food, either, so I just took mine to the post office. Hopefully they'll do better next year.

JAMES KILPATRICK is so boring and he does not belong on The Augusta Chronicle's editorial page. Put him in the Metro section for people who want an English lesson.

I CERTAINLY HOPE that six votes from my family are not the only ones Mr. Whitehead lost due to his article on war.

PEOPLE USED TO be able to nap outside in the neighborhood on Elliott Boulevard. Then the basketballs started bouncing.

JIMMY CARTER saying Bush is the worst administration in history is like a skunk telling a possum his breath stinks.

THE DOGS ARE BARKING again on Hampshire Drive, which means yet another Sunday I can't have my windows open.

THE AUGUSTA COUNTRY Club (should) tear down the houses that it bought along Morningside Drive.

BEN HARBIN should be practicing what he preaches.

THESE GAS COMPANIES are managed by credit cards, Chase and Citibank mostly.

THIS RANT is in response to the person who believes that our war was another Vietnam and called us idiots. I bet you tried to vote for Nixon in 2004, you bubble head.

THIS IS IN REGARDS to the person who raved about Westview cemetery. They put fresh sand on my parents' graves.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH of this James Brown praise. He's not God.

THIS IS AGAINST the GreenJackets. I think that for $5 a soda should at least have a lid.

A LOT OF PEOPLE are watering their yards on the day and time they shouldn't, including businesses on Columbia Road.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/29/07 - 04:48 am
To the Carter/Iran rant.

To the Carter/Iran rant. Carter was and is a big supporter of Iran. The hostages were kept until Reagan took office. One of the planks he ran on was war with Iran if the hostages weren't released by the time he took office. Iran doesn't understand the carrot, but the stick is crystal clear to them.

getalife
getalife 05/29/07 - 05:42 am
On the Westside Cemetery

On the Westside Cemetery remarks, when someone raved about the cemetery, that means it is a good positive remark!!!

naugliberal
naugliberal 05/29/07 - 05:54 am
Iran released the hostages

Iran released the hostages and in return we lifted economic sanctions against them and unfroze billions in assets. The idea that somehow Reagan scared the Iranians into doing our bidding is part of the dangerous philosophy that if you threaten these people enough they, like the Indians in wild west movies, will do our bidding. The Reagan advisors were talking to the Iranians before he was elected President, although people still disagree as to what their discussions entailed. There was no "plank" promising military action in the republican planform of 1980.

OMallen
OMallen 05/29/07 - 06:54 am
Way to go Augusta!!! The day

Way to go Augusta!!! The day after Memorial Day, they've got the police on a speed trap right outside Gate 1 on Southbound Jimmie Dyess. 4 motorcycle cops and a couple cruisers. Who predominately travels that route, at that time of day?
Good job Augusta, thanks for your support. Fort Gordon salutes you!

JimCox
JimCox 05/29/07 - 07:30 am
I'll still take Ben over ANY

I'll still take Ben over ANY member of the Richmond County delagation.

reruns
reruns 05/29/07 - 07:31 am
Coffe Houses Downtown don't

Coffe Houses Downtown don't stay in business because they aren't open during hours that people want coffee. HELLO!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/29/07 - 07:55 am
First rant on the page. What

First rant on the page. What on Earth are they talking about? We lost the Republic? I don't guess the ranter actually read the directive.

misscj0123
misscj0123 05/29/07 - 08:00 am
Dogs barking and basketballs

Dogs barking and basketballs bouncing...I did not get my nap...what a shame. People please! Wouldn't it be absolutely wonderful if that was the extent of complaints or problems in the world today?

Signal Always
Signal Always 05/29/07 - 08:25 am
Way to go Jim Whitehead. The

Way to go Jim Whitehead. The Iraq War on the backburner? You must have forgotten about that tract of land that extends from Jefferson County, to Columbia County, to Richmond County by the name of Ft. Gordon, right? You know, the one that has a Signal Brigade (93rd), part of the 44th Medical Brigade, and an MI Brigade (513th) that's being constantly deployed to the war zone. Stick to tires, Jim. You just lost my vote. Charlie Norwood you are not. Tell me something, since you think the military, and the wars it's involved with, is so insignificant; let's see how the CSRA does without Ft. Gordon. Damn glad you weren't in Dr. Norwood's position when we were trying to save Gordon from BRAC.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 05/29/07 - 08:47 am
A RAVE for Westview

A RAVE for Westview Cemetary....Things are looking so much nicer these days! And the new WESTVIEW CEMETARY sign is a really nice touch. Please keep up the good work!!

elizabeth
elizabeth 05/29/07 - 08:49 am
YES the dogs bark all the

YES the dogs bark all the time on HAMPSHIRE DRIVE. I have a total of 11 dogs that surround my house. Their are at least 5 on the next block. People who have dogs need to take them in or don't have them, if they can't control some of the barking. It is not a matter of not getting a nap. At 1:00 AM this morning I was still hearing dogs barking. We can't go in the back yard without the dogs next door barking until we go back inside. We can't cook out or even sit in the swing on the patio. When one dog starts the others kick in, you can hear them from the next block over. We hollow for them to shut up so maybe the owners will get the hint, but no. Any suggestions????

Rose
Rose 05/29/07 - 08:50 am
Dogs barking? I sleep with

Dogs barking? I sleep with earplugs every night.

misscj0123
misscj0123 05/29/07 - 08:53 am
Can dog owners be charged

Can dog owners be charged with 'disturbing the peace' if their dogs continuously bark and disturb the peace fo the neighborhood all night? I think it's something worth checking out. If it was their kids or even them being loud and unruly something would be done if reported. Why can't that apply to dogs as well?

ONLY THE TRUTH
ONLY THE TRUTH 05/29/07 - 08:54 am
OMallen--- Don't break the

OMallen--- Don't break the law and you won't have anything to worry about!!!! Did you ever think the police are there for your protection????

MUNK
MUNK 05/29/07 - 08:58 am
please, no more about rosie

please, no more about rosie odonnell!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/29/07 - 09:09 am
True OTT...By the way...what

True OTT...By the way...what do you consider a "speed trap." Would it be setting up RADAR in an area where people typically speed?

fyjigmo
fyjigmo 05/29/07 - 09:23 am
If Richmond county Sheriffs

If Richmond county Sheriffs Department wants to make money and control dangerous speeding, they need to set up on I-20 in the construction zones. Never seen that many cops there. Locating on Dyess Parkway is to harrass the military troops.

ruserious
ruserious 05/29/07 - 09:32 am
I wish the cops would set up

I wish the cops would set up a speed trap off of Aumond Road. I live on Carlton Drive and there is a navy blue Dodge Neon that flies through the neighboorhood. The driver is a yound man, who listens to his music at a deafening level, which is actually good because we know when he is coming so we can get out of the way. He almost hit me getting my mail last week and I'm worried he'll hurt one of the children in the neighborhood. What can be done?

charles yonce
charles yonce 05/29/07 - 09:37 am
you're very close

you're very close smokey.carter had agreed to sell spare parts to iran for the hostages,plus thet were already fighting with iraq,and needed parts.the cia tipped off reagans people and they undermined carter and agreed to sell them weapons such as the tow (anti tank) missles and god knows what else.that's how reagan got the hostages and the credit.

Raindance
Raindance 05/29/07 - 09:47 am
Dogs barking? You should

Dogs barking? You should hear the kennel I live in. North Augusta. Lynnhurst Subdivision. Wren Road & Towhee Avenue houses at least 29 dogs. And several of them run loose. Of course, by the time you call animal control (we've only 1 person, poor fellow) or the police to report the noise disturbance, the dang things quit barking or the loose ones are nowhere to be found. Too bad there isn't a Jack Kevorkian for suffering and ignored dogs. However, BB guns work well for the yappers within striking distance. And the 3 pet per household limit? Give me a break. That makes no difference when there are 4 houses in a row that have at least 2 or 3 dogs each! What I'd like to know is how can the owners NOT hear them?

All About Me
All About Me 05/29/07 - 10:23 am
i live off of North Belair Rd

i live off of North Belair Rd and travel Jimmy Dyess All the time and I am not military. I haven't gotten a speeding ticket. I guess the military should be exempt to speed. I was all over Augusta this weekend and the police where every where. I guess all the stories in the paper and on the radio where they said THE POLICE WILL BE OUT THURSDAY - MONDAY NIGHT told the truth. It was a holiday weekend what did you expect. DUH

tanner02
tanner02 05/29/07 - 10:53 am
I own three dogs.. They are

I own three dogs.. They are house dogs.. 90% of the time they are inside with the family enjoying the life they lead. They rarely
bark unless disturbed and normally when we are outside with them they run and play without barking.. We make sure they
get enough exercise and are not tied to a tree or chained to a fence and left alone. While those left outside to bark annoy
you readers, how many of you take the time to see if they are
tied and left without food, water.. proper care.. how many of you
would take the time to pick up a stray and drop it off with one of the shelters., understandbly not your job... but complaining only gets you so far ... then comes a time for action. Dog Control will come out and take your complaints., the police will issue noise violations... and if the dog just needs a drink you can certainly fill a dish.

Rose
Rose 05/29/07 - 11:19 am
Did any of you read the

Did any of you read the comments from Pender a few days ago? Most of what he said was taken off by Augusta Chronicle. I think he was crying out for help.He posted his email address and I wrote him. I hope he has not done something. I tried to stop him.

Rose
Rose 05/29/07 - 11:28 am
I tried to talk him out of

I tried to talk him out of killing himself. his last message was at 11:12 . Here's what he said by the time you read this, my problems will gone

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 05/29/07 - 11:32 am
Im going to try and cover

Im going to try and cover this all in one response: The right to bear arms is in the constitution for a reason, to stop an overpowering federal government, for the people to stop it. The Iranians were afraid of Reagan. The klan is still active in Augusta, and Marion Williams is the Grand Wizard. Whitney Houston said 'crack is cheap'. Harbin is an idiot. Yes, current immigration laws need to be enforced. Jimmy Carter did his part with Panama. Dogs bark, cats meow, cows moo, get over it. The Augusta National is buying houses, and tearing them down. Get ready for Berkmans road to be redirected. LoneStar is gone and TGI Fridays property taxes are going up. Harbin is still an idiot. Gas companies are making record profits because Big Oil and Big Government go together like peas and carrots. If you dont like paying high prices for a green jackets soda, come out to Masters City Little League, where a dollar fifty will get you a 16oz collectors cup filled with soda, sorry lid not included. Worry about watering your own yard, you arent the water police. There, with room to spare!

t of i
t of i 05/29/07 - 11:34 am
Didn't his friend say his son

Didn't his friend say his son came and got him for weekend?

Rose
Rose 05/29/07 - 11:38 am
yes, but she left a message

yes, but she left a message saying he said I could email him. I got his email from one of his posts.she said he would be back home on monday.

jack234
jack234 05/29/07 - 11:39 am
I have asked on several

I have asked on several occassions for some-one to please tell me what conservative republican principes Bush, Mcain, senators from Ga, Graham, et al have abandoned? No one has answered-I guess I have to go to CAIN to get an answer. Are there no conservative republicans out there who can answer this?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/29/07 - 11:49 am
jack..see "questions still

jack..see "questions still linger" post.

voice in the wilderness
voice in the wilderness 05/29/07 - 12:12 pm
Nothing so honors our war

Nothing so honors our war dead as parents taking their children to stores so they can let them run wild while they berate the store employees simply because they can. Top it off with a lot of buying of stuff you don't need and will probably return (after you've used it of course) and you have the perfect "Memorial Day." Is there any holiday left in this country that doesn't mean buy, buy buy???

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...