Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

GANGSTAS JUST DON'T listen to rap music. They listen to country, rock'n' roll and opera. Doo rags aren't just for making a statement. It actually took the place of homemade ones called stocking caps that help create a wave pattern in black men's hair. There are two other gangs I've heard of in the Augusta area called The Dixie Mafia and The Masons, with signs, symbols, dress attire and don't forget criminal activity.

WHISKEY ROAD IS almost totally gridlocked by traffic and has been for a long time. Each administration passes the problem on to the next and nothing gets done except more studies. The city fathers have told us that the new developments do not add to the traffic. They spent over half a million dollars in various studies proving that there is no increase in traffic due to these developments. There must be a guilty facility responsible for the increase. They should be made to figure the solution to the problem and pay for the entire corrective construction project.

THIS IS REGARDING the flag at the adult store on Gordon Highway. The person that complains about it, should ride down there. That flag has been down for some time now.

MARION WILLIAMS IS addicted to attention. Don't support his habit; ignore him.

SPEEDING DEPUTIES do not frighten me. Speeders who have no respect for themselves or the laws is what terrifies me.

AS A BLACK PERSON, I will admit that there are some blacks that are always pulling the race card. But most of us don't until someone confronts us and we have to defend who we are. Blacks as a people will not grow if we don't stop letting what other people say continue to bring us down.

I AGREE WITH THE PEOPLE who say that Jim Whitehead would make a good congressman. But I don't agree with giving up a position that you just got to run for something bigger and better, like Bob Young did. It's not fair for the taxpayers to have to foot the bill for a special election.

HOW COULD SENIORS at Butler High School ever graduate and be productive and self-sufficient when they are still being suspended for every minor thing they do?

I AM HAVING A HARD TIME supporting this city and the school system. It's an embarrassment beyond measure. I had to grow up in it and now to see a younger generation make it through to middle school and can't even read makes me sick to my stomach.

EVERYBODY IS SO QUICK to call somebody else a foreigner when we were all foreigners to start with when this country was founded.

HOW CAN ANYBODY praise Calvin Holland for anything if they saw how he rude and disrespectful he was on television? He should not have acted that way to the mayor that we elected.

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/26/07 - 04:46 am
I wasn't a foreigner when

I wasn't a foreigner when this country was founded and have never been a foreigner except when I was not in the United States. "... we were all foreigners when this country was founded" is not a very well thought out comment.

stumpjumper
stumpjumper 05/26/07 - 05:29 am
To the ignorant idiot that

To the ignorant idiot that refered to The Masons as a gang,
I srtongly suggest you put you brain in gear before you let you alligator mouth overload you hunning bird [filtered word]. You don't know what you are talking about so why not shutup?

PoliticallyNcorrect
PoliticallyNcorrect 05/26/07 - 06:02 am
When our forefathers opened

When our forefathers opened this countrys door's to all who dreamed of a more fruitful life it was a simple decision motivated by the need of money. At the time in order to buid a strong & independent country the Gov. required more citizen's to tax. A simple, and the only solution to collect the funds in order to create this great country we call America. This was the only way the dream we live & enjoy to day could become a reality. But...every great plan has to have it's limits. At this point in our history we can not provide enough empolyment to meet the job & career demand's of the vastly growing population, & to add to the desperation of the reality, science & electronic techhnology such as computers which with every coming year man continues to to take more & more manpower out of the scenario = even less jobs for mankind. And to add more to the problem of over population the science of medicine has & will continue to add years to the average lifespan. So a simple question to all mankind who believe America should let all who want to be allowed to enter the US with open arms...what do we do when the job & career status can no longer meet the needs of an over populated country?

fran
fran 05/26/07 - 07:20 am
So what are we supposed to do

So what are we supposed to do in elementary school? Pave more parking lots so the students can drive their cars to school? Keep them with their age appropriate peers. We've already dealt with them for up to 6 or 7 years, depending on how many times they have been retained. We need more tracking for students who are below grade level instead of this inclusion debacle that is not working.

mystery30815
mystery30815 05/26/07 - 07:59 am
Inclusion, when done properly

Inclusion, when done properly does work. Problem is that RCBOE doesn't have the money to make it work properly. Or they aren't willing to spend the money to make it work. They also need to realize that not every child should be in an inclusion setting.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 05/26/07 - 08:05 am
Oooh I can answer that one,

Oooh I can answer that one, we teach them. The problem today is that some teachers are just looking for a pay check(I said some), they don't want to do their jobs. When I was in school teachers did their best to help those they knew needed it. Not anymore. Prime example, my son left his textbook at home one day the principal called me at work to pick him up. I asked why he said he can't do any work without a book. WHAT???? He has several other classes what about those books he has? What about letting him share a book this period or do you not have any extra? They called me again last week to pick him up because someone farted in class and he wouldn't tell who it was even though he laughed. He's a kid thats what they do laugh at everything. But my son is an honor student and you send him home for nonsense. Do your jobs and control your class everything doesn't require being sent home.

a2
a2 05/26/07 - 08:12 am
Speeding officers have been

Speeding officers have been involved in accidents sometimes injuring others. They have rules to follow on the road (even in pursuit) like everyone else. I think some of them speed just to get through traffic quicker. I don't think they always are speeding to answer a call.
I don't think the response to the gang activity meant the mason's that you are thinking about. But maybe so. Aren't golf clubs members like a gang? A gang doesn't have to commit crimes. But the golf club members have a comradarie, they wear shirts w/symbols and they meet for a common cause.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 05/26/07 - 08:31 am
You know a2 I was thinking

You know a2 I was thinking the definition of gang meant any large group of people, but I looked it up and now it specifies that a gang is a group of people who commit a crime. Not exactly what it says word for word, but I think they changed it. Or am i crazy?

Sunshine from S. C.
Sunshine from S. C. 05/26/07 - 08:49 am
Regarding pay for teachers in

Regarding pay for teachers in Georgia-If some teachers were given $356.000.00 a year it would not be enough. Then there are teachers that should not be given a paycheck. You should be complaining about the quality of teachers instead of what they make. I admit some teachers are not worth what they make. Have you ever stopped to think that these same teachers are the very same ones that are teaching students that have turned out to be doctors, lawyers, Ceo, President of companies, President of the United States, Nurses (that saved your life or the life of a loved one) etc. These "Good" teachers deserve a lot more than $56,000.00. a year. The "Bad" teachers need to be replaced. Think about it for awhile, maybe you might change your way of thinking. It would be interesting to know what you think teachers should make-while you are thinking, remember some teachers have more that 30 students X 5 classes a day.

pantherluvcik
pantherluvcik 05/26/07 - 08:57 am
If you are speaking to me

If you are speaking to me rdmmksm I never made a complaint about how much teachers made at all. In fact i will be the first to vote for better pay for teachers WHO DO THEIR JOBS to get a pay increase.

Khaaaaaan
Khaaaaaan 05/26/07 - 09:17 am
Norwood's death prompted a

Norwood's death prompted a special election...Whitehead's resignation had nothing to do with it. If a special election (within the same district) is held, it makes no difference whether you have one contest or one hundred. It cost the same.

jadn
jadn 05/26/07 - 09:59 am
Who was the genius who

Who was the genius who decided to put a carnival off Belair Rd? They need to get their head checked! It not only looks tacky but it is a dangerous area. We spend taxpayer money to maintain a fairground but if they allow these little "fairs" to setup- why bother. Oh and the county will probably be the first sued if someone is hurt.

BamaMan
BamaMan 05/26/07 - 04:56 pm
Please tell me the carnival

Please tell me the carnival is only for a few days......

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 05/26/07 - 09:48 pm
I think teachers should be

I think teachers should be paid more... not just here, but across the nation.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...