Rants and raves

Comments from our readers.

THINK BACK OVER the last day, week, month or year. Can you think of one time when you woke up or at any time of the day and thought about a terrorist attack in our town? No, you haven't, and you know why not? President George Bush. How fortunate we are to have a president who does not cave in to politics.

WHEN GEORGE W. BUSH proclaimed the war in Iraq was over, I expected the killing to stop. But there has been more than 3,000 of our troops lost their lives since.

WHY DOES THIS PAPER seem anti-black? I read these Rants & Raves, there is never anything negative about white politicians. Why?

TO THE PERSON who wrote about keeping Hillary out of the White House: YOU ARE SO RIGHT!

A RANT FOR WOODY MERRY. It's time for you to put up or shut up!

I WISH THE COPS would start writing tickets to the people who walk in the road.

DON'T KNOW IF it's just me, but I keep getting the feeling that somewhere, under the table, someone has big plans for Hyde Park.

TO ANYONE WHO thinks being a cashier is a joke job ... step in my shoes and see how you feel when someone treats you (poorly) when you are just trying to do your job and help other people!

I WOULD LIKE to buy a franchise from the Richmond County commission to put jukeboxes all round town, so visitors could drop a quarter in and listen to the city commission meetings.

WESTVIEW CEMETERY is such a mess! It's not maintained as the other city cemeteries are.

A RANT FOR all those do-gooder Democrats who think they know a better way to handle the war in Iraq. "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it."

I UNDERSTAND ALL parents cannot donate money to every charitable event in our schools. I can understand that schools still need money for different things even after using the tax money. I don't understand why they don't get kids to work for the donations like doing something or making items to sell.

I GUESS JAMES BROWN can be compared to Elvis. The public with all its opinions and gossip about James Brown's financial issues is ongoing, even after he has passed away from this Earth.

XTREME FOR TEENS section seems to be written by extreme left-wingers who hate the U.S. and its Constitution.

WE READ THAT now the vastly overpaid President of the University of Georgia has his own "cabinet." What's next, his own army?

I WONDER: Is Ronnie Few gainfully employed?

If you have an opinion you want to share with other newspaper readers, you may call The Augusta Chronicle's Rants & Raves line at (706) 823-3397, fax your opinion to (706) 722-7403 or send an e-mail to newsroom@augusta chronicle.com.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 05/09/07 - 05:54 am
George W. Bush did not

George W. Bush did not proclaim the war over. He said "Mission Accomplished". Unfortunately, he didn't say "Next phase well planned".

kudzunroses
kudzunroses 05/09/07 - 06:01 am
There were nine blondes and a

There were nine blondes and a brunette hanging of a rope 100 stories high. They had decided that one of them had to get off.
They argued and argued and finally the brunette said ''I'll go.''

The brunette made a touching speech and all the blondes clapped.

Jenn30907
Jenn30907 05/09/07 - 06:12 am
Thanks for starting my day

Thanks for starting my day off right Holly!

PAW
PAW 05/09/07 - 06:49 am
In the Metro section there's

In the Metro section there's an article about a young man wanted for a drive by shooting in Gilbert Manor.....this is the type of IGNORANCE....and yes I said " IGNORANCE "....that the commissioners wanted to bring to South Augusta.....you might of made some bad comments in the commission meeting, but hats off to you Calvin Holland for stopping this land deal. I paid too much for my house to let it be destroyed by some low life.

MartinezMom
MartinezMom 05/09/07 - 07:07 am
I see negative comments quite

I see negative comments quite often about white politicians in the rants & raves. I guess that means George W Bush, among others, is now a black man.

noctur55
noctur55 05/09/07 - 07:13 am
Left wingers hate the U.S and

Left wingers hate the U.S and the Constitution? Somebody is completely out of thier mind. Stop watching O'reilly and Rush, and pull your head out.

kiddspur
kiddspur 05/09/07 - 07:38 am
Holly need some more help --

Holly need some more help -- go to jokes.com and you will find plenty more or better yet check out snopes.com -- they are even better --- Good one today a new twist on an old one.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/09/07 - 07:41 am
MartinezMom......huh? And

MartinezMom......huh? And noctur55..no one said Left wingers hate the U.S. and the Constitution (implying they all do), the statement was that the particular section was written by those that DO hate the U.S. and the Constitution. There are clearly some that do.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 05/09/07 - 07:45 am
Is the war in Iraq lost or

Is the war in Iraq lost or won? Only if we pull out in a hurry and don't finish the job we started. I think if we pulled our bases out of Saudi, we'd have less trouble and oil prices would drop.. That seems to be where all this is coming from anyway.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/09/07 - 07:52 am
Interesting daily poll...so

Interesting daily poll...so far %65 think the war is NOT lost.

Waymore
Waymore 05/09/07 - 07:57 am
To the ranter wanting tickets

To the ranter wanting tickets written to people who walk in the street, could you tell me what code section is being violated?

liloleme
liloleme 05/09/07 - 07:58 am
Grrr--a RANT---how hard is it

Grrr--a RANT---how hard is it to use your turn signal---it only takes a couple of seconds!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 05/09/07 - 08:00 am
If your walking against the

If your walking against the flow of traffic and as close to the edge of the road as possible and there is no sidewalk then there is no violation. If there is a side walk or you walk anywhere else other than as described above it's called Impeding Traffic, in the Ga Code, and that's just one of several charges that can be brought..

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 05/09/07 - 08:35 am
Give a man a fish and he will

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. Teach a man to create an artificial shortage of fish and he will eat steak.
- Jay Leno

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 05/09/07 - 08:37 am
actuall I only posted that to

actuall I only posted that to see if it would show up...I am having a hard time posting this morning..keep getting error msgs.

dthompson
dthompson 05/09/07 - 08:38 am
To the ranter about the

To the ranter about the cashier's job- I am not saying you are one of these cashiers, but, it seems lately customer service is a thing of the past. I can't stand to go to a store and put my things on the counter and never be greeted by the cashier. Some people act like you're invisible- they ring up your items and then just stare at you. I guess they figure you can get your total off of the screen. I have said before , "gee, sorry you're having such a bad day." t happens all the time at drive thru windows- they shove a bag at you and your change and never open their mouth. If you are that unhappy- get another job.

dthompson
dthompson 05/09/07 - 08:41 am
holly......had a hard time

holly......had a hard time with my post as well. Not sure what is wrong.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/09/07 - 08:44 am
Don't feel bad holly my

Don't feel bad holly my system is acting up too. I tried to post a message and got an error about it having to be 1200 characters or less. My message was about half that - any one else experiencing problems with posting?

NoSocialism
NoSocialism 05/09/07 - 08:48 am
I have not seen the main

I have not seen the main stream media brodcasting anything regarding the wrongful use of a cheap Micky Mouse immitation to teach Islamic children how to hate Americans and Jews. Has anyone else?

grouse
grouse 05/09/07 - 08:48 am
Bush, I believe, said "major

Bush, I believe, said "major combat operations in Iraq have ended" read that anyway you want but it's still BS.

NoSocialism
NoSocialism 05/09/07 - 08:50 am
Wake up non-believers,

Wake up non-believers, Islamic Terrorists are her in the U.S. They failed at Fort Dix. Will they try to hit other military bases like Fort Gordon?

HUH2
HUH2 05/09/07 - 08:52 am
Thre blondes found a lantern

NoSocialism
NoSocialism 05/09/07 - 08:52 am
Just hit the back button and

Just hit the back button and try clicking the post button again. I have done it twice to get my post in.

HUH2
HUH2 05/09/07 - 08:53 am
Thre blondes found a lantern

Thre blondes found a lantern on the beach and they rubbed and out pops a Genie with three wishes. The first girl says I want to be ten times smarter than I am the Genie said it is done.The second one said I want to be a hundred times smarter than I am the Genie said it is done.The third girl said I want to be a thousand times smarter than I am the Genie said it is done you are now a man.

Signal Always
Signal Always 05/09/07 - 08:55 am
A RANT for certain clerks at

A RANT for certain clerks at Circle K. GET OFF THE PHONE! A rave for the lady that greets me and hands me my food at the McDonalds on the corner of Washington and Davis. One of the nicest people I've met and very professional. They should promote you to manager. In the past 2 or so years, you've never changed. As for someone saying something about having jukeboxes airing the commission meetings, it's my understanding that the comedy club closed down years back.

Waymore
Waymore 05/09/07 - 08:58 am
No, Beach Music, reread the

No, Beach Music, reread the code. Try again.

Jen2803
Jen2803 05/09/07 - 09:15 am
About cashiers and customer

About cashiers and customer service. What a lot of people don't realize is cashiers have to deal with tough customers all day long. We have to work 7 or 8 hour shifts and you don't know how many customers we have to check out through out the day.We get cursed out if things don't ring up right which is NOT our fault. We get yelled at if we make a mistake, it can always be corrected but they react quickly and tell you what kind of trash you are for doing anything other than a "perfect" job ringing them up. You get cursed out if a customer has 13 items in an express lane. How can I help that? Why do you stand back and count? Why get angry over one more item? Customers get angry at me because the customers in front of them are slow, what can I do about that? Please realize that we are treated like the lowest of lowest human beings. We don't mean to be rude. We don't mean to come across as rude it's just a lot of times we have dealt with mean people all day.If you give everyone the upmost respect you will get that in return.

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 05/09/07 - 09:22 am
Signal, I know the lady

Signal, I know the lady you're referring to at McDonald's and she is VERY nice! So different from all the employees at the McDonald's on Walton Way. They've now torn down that location--maybe there was something seeping from the walls there....there were some tragically stupid people working there.
I think they've done a pretty good job of fixing up things at Westview Cemetary in the last few months. I suspect they don't receive much financial help from Richmond County and they probably just use prisoner work crews. I'll admit I was aggravated at putting a nice flower arrangement on my parents graves and having someone come along with a weed eater 2 days later and hack them to pieces rather than take a moment to lift them, but at least the cemetary is now secured by fencing all the way around. Groups of teenagers from the neighborhood were walking in and out of open gates at night and damaging the property. They've now even put up a fence in the back of the cemetary, enclosing the area by the access road.

a2
a2 05/09/07 - 09:25 am
My question to cashiers is

My question to cashiers is "why do you act like you all own the business when there is a decision to be made"? Sometimes it's just a simple decision that you could make and you go all self righteous on the customer. Are you just scared to make a decision on your own ( I call it going stepford on me) or do you really believe that the business is yours while getting paid $5.00 an hr.?

alethia
alethia 05/09/07 - 09:30 am
(R)Senators Chambliss and

(R)Senators Chambliss and Isakson from Georgia voted yes to block the Import of Prescription drugs. All total there were 15 democrats, 33 republicans and 1 independent. When Capitalism turns to greed is where I draw the line.

Vogtle workers see both reactor projects

Some veterans of the nuclear industry were at the site south of Augusta to see the complex network of rebar and concrete rising out of the ground in the 1970s and ’80s. Now, they are back.