Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

"OFFICIAL SAYS Afghans distrust government." Big deal! Thomas Jefferson didn't trust government. I don't trust government. Those who do deceive themselves.

IF YOU'RE A Columbia County resident and think growth "pays for itself," just count the number of trailers in use at your local school.

I WENT TO WAL-MART in Evans yesterday and had to sort through six or eight shopping carts before I found one that was clean and had four wheels that didn't shake, wobble or thump. Isn't this a multibillion dollar company?

THE IMPERIAL THEATRE did not do justice to the recent production of Secrets To Be Kept. The sound system was woefully inadequate and certainly undermined the valiant efforts of the cast in their effort to "go on with the show."

THIS IS A RAVE for the Continuity Clinic at Medical College of Georgia. The nurses in that clinic are very sweet and compassionate.

WHY WHEN POLICE arrest someone do six or eight of them have to jump in on top of the suspect. Is this really necessary or is this just a way of getting in a sneak punch with the knee?

WHEN YOU CALL our school system four or five times for a meeting with teachers, you get the "runaround" every time.

TEENS STEREOTYPED as thieves; cavities increase in young children. Parents, wake up! When you fail to discipline your child, you set him up for a fall - a double fall in this instance.

IT IS ABSURD that Columbia County's and Augusta's Web sites don't work on Macs. What is wrong with these webmasters?

COLUMBIA COUNTY, it takes you three years to build the Crawford Creek bridge on Columbia Road. It has to take another three years before you start cutting the grass and weeds around that area?

THERE IS ONLY ONE senior center in the Augusta area. Our parents let us have fun one way or the other, so aren't they entitled to the same treatment?

OK, JEFF GORDON. You have had your fun. Please slow down and let Dale Earnhardt Jr. win at least one race.

MUSIC CAN STILL BE empowering and make statements without digging into open wounds and hurting people. Take the '70s and the '80s, for example.

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN to me if I illegally entered Mexico, then openly protested and demanded to be made a citizen?

Martinez
Martinez 05/04/07 - 04:22 am
A US citizen moving to Mexico

A US citizen moving to Mexico is required nothing more then a residency permit which can be obtained without an attorney or large expense. Once a US citizen has resided in Mexico for 5 years, he/she can apply for citizenship which is also an easy process. Citizenship can be obtained after 2 years if that US citizen has a child or parent who was born in Mexico. And Mexico will allow dual citizenship as well so you can even retain your US citizenship at the same time. If entering the US were equally as simply, we wouldn't have an illedgal imigration problem. But based on your comment, I doubt that is the answer you wanted to hear......

me1
me1 05/04/07 - 04:41 am
The Crawford Creek bridge was

The Crawford Creek bridge was built and is maintained by Ga DOT.

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 05/04/07 - 05:05 am
Two Eskimos sitting in a

Two Eskimos sitting in a kayak were chilly, but when they lit a fire in the craft it sank, proving once and for all that you can't have your kayak and heat it, too.......... Two boll weevils grew up in South Carolina. One went to Hollywood and became a famous actor. The other stayed behind in the cotton fields and never amounted to much. The second one, naturally, became known as the lesser of two weevils......... A three-legged dog walks into a saloon in the Old West. He sidles up to the bar and announces, ''I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.''

mystery30815
mystery30815 05/04/07 - 05:07 am
The Richmond County schools

The Richmond County schools should really consider holding Honors Day programs in the evenings. Not all parents can get the time off to support their children. Plus, if you have more than one child in elementary school, the programs are held on different days.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 05/04/07 - 05:22 am
ROFL hollygolightly!!!!!

ROFL hollygolightly!!!!!

easy breezy
easy breezy 05/04/07 - 05:35 am
You are so right jc35. You

You are so right jc35. You beat me to the punch.

SC88fan
SC88fan 05/04/07 - 05:37 am
About the buggys at WalMart,

About the buggys at WalMart, YES you all need to get some decent buggys!

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 05/04/07 - 06:24 am
After watching what happened

After watching what happened with the Mexican's matching in California and that cop manhandling that poor girl on her way to her daddy's bedside down in Florida, I've just about lost all respect for law inforcement. Thank God for those dashboard cameras. It's really opened my eyes.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/04/07 - 06:40 am
I thought Macs were supposed

I thought Macs were supposed to be the greatest computers ever. I haven't run across any websites that won't work on a PC.

Does_it_really_matter
Does_it_really_matter 05/04/07 - 06:53 am
Make sure your kids brush

Make sure your kids brush thier teeth...or they will turn into criminals. Make sure they floss, too. Nothing worse than the criminal element having halitosis.

liloleme
liloleme 05/04/07 - 06:54 am
Holly, you make me smile

Holly, you make me smile every morning---thanks!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/04/07 - 06:55 am
CyndiCk, I can understand if

CyndiCk, I can understand if you lose respect for law enforcement, but don't lose respect for the law. It's unfortunate that when the cops get out of hand that people tend to side with the victim and completely forget that the reason he was arrested in the first place was that he was breaking the law. I'm not condoning the cops actions or saying the victim deserved it, I'm just saying it could have been avoided if they hadn't been breaking the law in the first place. I't s analogous to if I pull into an intersection as soon as the light turns green, without looking, I had the right of way if I get hit, but I'm still hit, and could have avoided it if I had just looked first.

jack234
jack234 05/04/07 - 07:08 am
Sorry I want be able to give

Sorry I want be able to give my valuable insight to the gang today, but I will be working with "relay for life" all day raising money for cancer research. Keep it clean today and God bless each of you, regardless of your views.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/04/07 - 07:15 am
have fun jack...I rarely

have fun jack...I rarely agree with you, but at least you are civil!

noctur55
noctur55 05/04/07 - 07:24 am
Now I know this is a redneck

Now I know this is a redneck backwater, when nascar makes the rants and raves.

a2
a2 05/04/07 - 07:29 am
Augusta, Gawga is a

Augusta, Gawga is a bloodthirsty hate filled town according to the post concerning the robber yeasterday. Mr?/Ms Barre os a casualty of war. A nutball programmed to kill in Iraq, continues his quest for blood when he returns home. You can tell he's not right by him saying "I thought the robber was coming back with my weapons" How many guns did he have and how did the robber know what was in that particular house? Because Ms, oh I mean Mr. Barre? had probably let him in there before. If Mr. Barre ever goes to jail and he mightm he will be taken care of. Of course that's probably what he wants. But they just might kill his simple butt.
I have never seen a town including a police officer cheer because someone got killed. Augusta seems like an awful place to live. And before you say it, this is an open comment board, I post where I want to.

a2
a2 05/04/07 - 07:38 am
If you all knew how you

If you all knew how you looked to the rest of the world you'd be amazed.
Just like after Vietnam, you had men coming home with mental problems. Some of those people are still not right today. Check out the VA hospital. The robber was wrong for breaking in, but the way you idiots responded with glee is really sick. You are on top right now, but what about your children. What kind of attitudes are you instilling in them? Will they be able to relate to a diverse world? You tried to cover up your racist attitude by prefacing it with the fact that it was a burglary. But you were way too HAPPY that a man was killed. You didn't respond like that when the woman shot the robber in her house. Augusta is a hell hole that really needs prayer to overcome those entrenched principalities. Yes, we're back on it DEMONS!

kokousa
kokousa 05/04/07 - 07:40 am
Martinez on illegal aliens

Martinez on illegal aliens entering the US, first of all no one wants to become a citizen of Mexico because of all the corruption that exists there, second if I as a US citizen crossed into Mexico ILLEGALLY the police or military force that patrols the border wouldn’t ask me any questions before they either took me into custody or shot and kill me and no one would ask for a reason why they did it. Oh and by the way Americans why are you celebrating Mexico’s Independence Day (Cinco de Mayo) they don’t celebrate the 4th of July in Mexico?

a2
a2 05/04/07 - 07:45 am
What is sick is, you say

What is sick is, you say stuff, and then go right on with" let's sell tickets to the garden club event"
Don't bother responding because I don't respect anything you have to say. You are a disgrace to people that have some kind of heart. You talk about the gangs and robbers being slime, you good people are in fact a piece of work.

what
what 05/04/07 - 07:54 am
Why should Jeff slow down to

Why should Jeff slow down to ALLOW another Jr or any other driver to win? If Jr was good enough and/or fast enough he could win without Jeff handing it to him on a silver platter. So Jeff keep driving the way your are and win everything you can. Hopefully you can win that elusive 5th Championship this year.
GO JEFF GO!!

kokousa
kokousa 05/04/07 - 07:58 am
All of Augusta's citizens can

All of Augusta's citizens can take a lesson from the good Captain arm yourself so we can cut back on court costs and over crowded jails. It’s time for honest people to stop living in fear.

whatever1
whatever1 05/04/07 - 07:59 am
what is up with a2? In the

what is up with a2? In the diveristy training I have had, no one ever talked about robbers and such as being a part the diverse make up of society.

NEOSLDY
NEOSLDY 05/04/07 - 08:00 am
i hear alot of people

i hear alot of people complaining about the mexicans here, but every time i go to a mexican resturant there is a waiting list, and there are more gringas and gringos in there eating all that mexican food, than there is mexicans. i know for a fact everyone working in that resturant is not legal, but their food and service is great. so, if they are all sent back then ya'll would really miss that cheese dip.

change display name
change display name 05/04/07 - 08:12 am
a2, in my humble opinion, you

a2, in my humble opinion, you are an idiot. You ASSUme that the soldier is a "nutball." You ASSUme that he let the suspect in his home before. You ASSUme that we are telling our children "kill 'em all and let God sort them out." You ASSUme that we are all racist. You ASSUme that anybody gives a darn what you think. You know what ASSUming does--makes an [filtered word] out of U--not me. (Using big words does not make you sound intelligent if you use them incorrectly.)

KingJames
KingJames 05/04/07 - 08:21 am
A man was killed by someone

A man was killed by someone who felt threatened. The fact of the matter is the burglar could have returned and killed Captain Barre, or worse, could have used the guns to kill others. The person had to be stopped. I don't know if putting three rounds in him was justified, but no one else has to worry about him using the guns on them. A thief takes a chance when they break into someone's home. They don't know if the homeowner will catch them or not. They don't know what the homeowner's reaction will be if they catch them. As a soldier, Captain Barre naturally fell back on his training to handle the situation. That was, I think, one thing that the burglar didn't expect when he broke into the house. This could have been avoided if the burglar would have just chosen not to steal in the first place. His death is really a result of the choices he made that fateful day. Everyone should be relieved that the guns are not on the street where they could possibly do us all harm.

what
what 05/04/07 - 08:36 am
noctur55....I didn't realize

noctur55....I didn't realize that there were subjects that we were not allowed to discuss in the Rants and Raves section. The whole point is to be able to express our thoughts, gripes, and praises on what is going on around us. There are a BUNCH of Nascar fans, not only in our area or even the south. And not all of us are Backwater Rednecks. There are fans all over the world.

dthompson
dthompson 05/04/07 - 08:42 am
The shooting should send a

The shooting should send a clear message to all who think about burglarizing someone's home to think twice.

noctur55
noctur55 05/04/07 - 08:42 am
I didnt say you couldnt talk

I didnt say you couldnt talk about it. I just said that augusta is a backwater redneck town. Fact. No debate about it. End of story. No way to prove it otherwise. Being a nascar fan has nothing to do with it.

AsItIs
AsItIs 05/04/07 - 08:42 am
The News Building on Broad

The News Building on Broad Street has a new flag and a new flag pole! Very nice! Thanks!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 05/04/07 - 08:43 am
you know I don't even like

you know I don't even like NASCAR, but I do know that was an ignorant, offensive comment. And KingJames, thatnks...you saved me a lot of typing!

Ex-superintendent to write of miraculous recovery

Taking his doctor's advice, former Richmond County school superintendent Frank Roberson has nearly finished writing a 150-page book about his remarkable recovery from brain trauma.