Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

A RAVE FOR the mom with courage to speak out about Harry Potter in our schools. So it's OK to take God out and put witchcraft in? If you don't believe it, watch the video Under the Spell of Harry Potter by Stephen Dollins, as he exposes all the witchcraft in this series.

A RANT FOR the idiots who drive on Walton Way and get in the right-hand turn-only lane then cut people off to get into the left-hand lane. If you're too stupid to get in the proper lane, then please be smart enough to follow the signs and turn right.

A RAVE for the young lady, Hilary Hopkins, winning the Exchange Club award. She is a fine example of the attitude that is lacking in many of today's youths. The one thing humanity needs in order to survive is our youth asking "what can I do for you" instead of "what can you do for me."

RICHMOND COUNTY SCHOOLS use Voyager Universal Learning reading program. Apparently, it ain't all it's supposed to be. My first-grade class of 1946 learned on Dick and Jane, and we all learned to read ver well.

IT SEEMS THIS WAR has always been about George Bush trying to make a good name for himself. After a few months of fighting, he lied and said we won. And then a few years later, in one month, we have more casualties than ever before.

PEOPLE HERE don't know what a real park is. A real park has swings for toddlers as well as kids and adults; they have sliding boards, seesaws, full and half basketball courts, handball courts, racketball courts, a baseball diamond, some have pools, and last but not least, they have plenty of trees.

THIS IS A RANT for Calvin Holland. Who gave you the position of king of Richmond County?

AN EARLIER RANT stated that nothing was scarier than a Senate, House and presidency in the same party. I think there is: the two parties.

A RANT FOR the lady in Golden Corral on Bobby Jones, sitting in there with your bedroom slippers on. Then I look up and you took your shoes off. That's so disgusting.

THIS IS A RAVE for the Green Meadows' Neighborhood Association. I had some concerns I brought to the president's attention and they were addressed immediately. Not only were my concerns acknowledged openly, I was also treated respectfully, fairly and compassionately. The icing on the cake was the speaker for this month's meeting. I learned a lot from him and my neighbors. This experience gave me hope for the future of our community.

A RAVE FOR the Veteran's Administration hospitals. I have visited several different VA hospitals with my husband and while you may find problems to complain about, be aware that these veterans are not the easiest patients to deal with. A majority of veterans are dealing with numerous health and mental problems, and they do not have a lot of patience. All health care facilities have complaints, and VA facilities are no different. Health care professionals require a great deal of patience when taking care of our soldiers, and they are to be commended for a job well done.

AMAZING HOW IGNORANT and phony leftists are. Now professional sports teams claim they are doing things to help the environment - the Washington Nationals and Philadelphia Eagles are doing things like setting up bicycle racks and using "low-emission carpets" and that's going to save the planet? Meanwhile, they burn more gas going to one out-of-town ball game than a lone citizen does in a lifetime. What a bunch of politically correct hypocrites.

THIS IS A RAVE to the Augusta Mall for offering the ID Your Child Kit free of charge Saturday. All the ones working the event were very helpful and kind even when the little ones were very uncooperative.

patriciathomas
patriciathomas 04/30/07 - 09:45 pm
Twilight zone music. I hear

Twilight zone music. I hear twilight zone music. I don't think I've ever read such a strange comparison in any of my fifty years of voracious reading, and I like science fiction. Todays rant and rave commentary has been most enlightening, but I have no idea what to do with all of this knowledge. [ Ann McCaffery was hot]

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 04/30/07 - 10:42 pm
This is to all you people on

This is to all you people on here like Jenn, Martmom, pam, myrtle, Bandaid etc... No one said remove the harry potter books... the first statement was made IF you can have harry potter books you should be able to have the bible in the library too for a child to decide if they want to read it or not. YOU GUYS MAYBE SHOULD HAVE READ LESS FICTION IN SCHOOL AND PAYED MORE ATTENTION IN ENGLISH CLASS TO ACCOMPLISH READING COMPREHENSION!! I have seen some of you frequently postin on here about things with out being able to comprehend the story or comments you are responding too!!!! you guys are proving other peoples points for them!! WTG!!!!!

farmer
farmer 05/01/07 - 12:53 am
I don't how many people will

I don't how many people will read this but a teacher by the name of Mrs. Durden took the time every day of reading of a story of Silver King Dog of the north the last hour of our class in MARTHA LESTER GRAMMER SCHOOL WITH MRS TARVER THE PRINCIPAL OF THAT SCHOOLS APPROVAL and this was in the 1940s to the 1950s that alone gave me an appetite to read ever thing I could get my hands on and I thank her and ever teacher that put up with me to make me a better person today.I just wish their was a way to let these people who shaped our lives for little money and little recognition how wwe feel about them.
LARRY FOX SR.
ps this was written for the love I feel about the teachers that shaped my life

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 05/01/07 - 04:35 am
Give me a break! Gas is

Give me a break! Gas is nearly $3.00 a gallon, prices in the stores are steadly rising, we got a stupid, senseless war going on over in Iraq, and all you people are worried about is some damn book? It's just a book! If people put as much energy into doing something about things that REALLY mattered, then maybe things wouldn't be so bad. I've seen the movies, and from what I've read about Wicca, I really don't see the big deal about all this witchcraft stuff. They pray to the trees and the sky and things like that. Don't really see anything "evil" about it. And I heard that it's a recognized religion in the U.S. military. Hmmm, maybe someone can whip up a potion and turn Bush into a toad...

jeffbert1540
jeffbert1540 05/01/07 - 07:52 am
The sum of all of the

The sum of all of the "religious" messages posted amounts to a mind set which is very similar to those of the "radical" muslim extremists mentioned before...religious intolerance. If in religion or philosophy, we are dealing with higher powers, why not leave what is right or wrong to them. Judgement should be a power wielded by those who know everything. Since most humans I have met do not fall into this category, judgement should be kept to those things we do trully know about. The only thing one trully knows is your own heart. Let your judgement stop there. Instead, practice compassion and kindness toward everyone regardless of their religious or philosophical standpoint. If everyone followed this guideline you would find that the world community would be better off and war would be a lot less likely.
In my opinion, people need to love one another whether witch, christian, gay, straight, black, white or whatever. In 100 years from now, almost everyone here will be gone. What will you have done on the positive side of life to make this world a better place?

ForHim
ForHim 05/01/07 - 12:58 pm
I will have told people that

I will have told people that I have come in contact with about God, His love and how to get to heaven. jeffbert, if you believe in something ... as in I believe wholeheartedly in God ... then it would go AGAINST what I believe to believe in someone else's religion too or even accept it as a possibility. Just because someone is not a Christian, does not mean that I will lash out at them, or hate them, or be mean to them, or rebuke them in any way. Christians don't hate the sinner ... they hate the sin. It is not our job to judge, but it IS our job to tell people what the Bible says about sin. People misinterpret sharing the Word with being judgmental. If I had a penny for each time someone has judged me for being a Christian, I could probably retire by now. People on this site have the right to say what they want, as long as it is not mean or offensive. Some will agree and some will disagree. Has always been that way and will always be that way.

Lincolnton 17-year-old drowns in cove

Many in Lincoln County were in mourning Monday after the weekend drowning of a teenager from a well-known family in Lincolnton, Lincoln County Coroner Paul Reviere said.