Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

A RAVE FOR the mom with courage to speak out about Harry Potter in our schools. So it's OK to take God out and put witchcraft in? If you don't believe it, watch the video Under the Spell of Harry Potter by Stephen Dollins, as he exposes all the witchcraft in this series.

A RANT FOR the idiots who drive on Walton Way and get in the right-hand turn-only lane then cut people off to get into the left-hand lane. If you're too stupid to get in the proper lane, then please be smart enough to follow the signs and turn right.

A RAVE for the young lady, Hilary Hopkins, winning the Exchange Club award. She is a fine example of the attitude that is lacking in many of today's youths. The one thing humanity needs in order to survive is our youth asking "what can I do for you" instead of "what can you do for me."

RICHMOND COUNTY SCHOOLS use Voyager Universal Learning reading program. Apparently, it ain't all it's supposed to be. My first-grade class of 1946 learned on Dick and Jane, and we all learned to read ver well.

IT SEEMS THIS WAR has always been about George Bush trying to make a good name for himself. After a few months of fighting, he lied and said we won. And then a few years later, in one month, we have more casualties than ever before.

PEOPLE HERE don't know what a real park is. A real park has swings for toddlers as well as kids and adults; they have sliding boards, seesaws, full and half basketball courts, handball courts, racketball courts, a baseball diamond, some have pools, and last but not least, they have plenty of trees.

THIS IS A RANT for Calvin Holland. Who gave you the position of king of Richmond County?

AN EARLIER RANT stated that nothing was scarier than a Senate, House and presidency in the same party. I think there is: the two parties.

A RANT FOR the lady in Golden Corral on Bobby Jones, sitting in there with your bedroom slippers on. Then I look up and you took your shoes off. That's so disgusting.

THIS IS A RAVE for the Green Meadows' Neighborhood Association. I had some concerns I brought to the president's attention and they were addressed immediately. Not only were my concerns acknowledged openly, I was also treated respectfully, fairly and compassionately. The icing on the cake was the speaker for this month's meeting. I learned a lot from him and my neighbors. This experience gave me hope for the future of our community.

A RAVE FOR the Veteran's Administration hospitals. I have visited several different VA hospitals with my husband and while you may find problems to complain about, be aware that these veterans are not the easiest patients to deal with. A majority of veterans are dealing with numerous health and mental problems, and they do not have a lot of patience. All health care facilities have complaints, and VA facilities are no different. Health care professionals require a great deal of patience when taking care of our soldiers, and they are to be commended for a job well done.

AMAZING HOW IGNORANT and phony leftists are. Now professional sports teams claim they are doing things to help the environment - the Washington Nationals and Philadelphia Eagles are doing things like setting up bicycle racks and using "low-emission carpets" and that's going to save the planet? Meanwhile, they burn more gas going to one out-of-town ball game than a lone citizen does in a lifetime. What a bunch of politically correct hypocrites.

THIS IS A RAVE to the Augusta Mall for offering the ID Your Child Kit free of charge Saturday. All the ones working the event were very helpful and kind even when the little ones were very uncooperative.

ForHim
ForHim 04/30/07 - 03:12 pm
Your mockery of the Bible is

Your mockery of the Bible is very offensive and definitely showed no class. I don't believe in part of the Bible - I believe all of it. To do less would make me doubt God. Think what you want. I won't change your mind. Satan is definitely testing you, but I am definitely not Satan. And if you are insinuating that your faith is in God, you may want to have a chat with him soon. He would not appreciate your comments above either. I know that for a fact, because it says so in the Bible!

dthompson
dthompson 04/30/07 - 03:35 pm
don1- I think I tried to have

don1- I think I tried to have a similar conversation about this the other day with the same person. Somehow, my opinions got me labeled God for a day. All I can say is we tried........but we are not accountable for the actions of others. Thank goodness for that.

ForHim
ForHim 04/30/07 - 03:40 pm
dthompson - we may not be

dthompson - we may not be able to articulate our messages as well as we would like to, but thankfully God knows our heart. We will just to keep on trying.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 03:45 pm
popKorn...if I had to

popKorn...if I had to describe my reaction to your post in one word it would be.....I can't freaking believe it! Do you really believe that stuff. Where's the wings? Heck we all SAW the planes hit the WTS, but we didn't see any wings there! Ever heard of passenger lists? The list all the passengers on a flight. Ever heard of cell phone calls from doomed planes? And if the govenrment successfully crashed 2 planes into the WTS, why would they choose to use a missile on the Pentagon? You need to stay away from the Oliver Stone movies. I've seen the video of the explosion at the Pentagon....including the ones that are shown on the conspiracy theory websites...and with the slow framerate of those types of cameras, it is entirely likely that a plane going a couple of hundred MPH would hit without being seen.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 03:48 pm
To doubt parts of the bible

To doubt parts of the bible does not make you doubt God..it means you doubt man. The men who wrote and translated the bible. I believe the message of the bible, but many things contradict others.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 03:49 pm
I have a pretty good

I have a pretty good understanding of physics popkorn. What makes you think the buildings were rigged?

ForHim
ForHim 04/30/07 - 03:57 pm
kpc - the men of the Bible

kpc - the men of the Bible were men of God. Somehow it doesn't make sense to me that God would allow them to write down their version of what He wanted. Also, there is information in the Bible that was written by different people at different times that say the exact same thing. I don't think that is coincidence. The things that seem contraditory for the most part are things that are in different contexts. Aramaic versions of the Bible still exist today. They were not translated by one person. Great lengths have gone into translating the Bible from Aramaic to different languages. My faith runs very deep. I believe that God is at the beginning and end and center of the bible and that He would keep it true so that His word could be known. If we are skeptical, I don't think we can believe in God. I choose to take the Bible in it's entirety and believe that God has kept it true to this day. Otherwise I would have to choose not to believe in God.

Archibald Pumpernickel
Archibald Pumpernickel 04/30/07 - 04:00 pm
unbelievable

unbelievable

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 04:06 pm
I agree that there are things

I agree that there are things in the bible, written at different times, that say the same thing. I just BELIEVE that the people who wrote it, and those who translated it (not all of whom are men of God) could have made some mistakes. I think we had this discussion before and will probably come to the same conclusion again. I think we are probably more alike than different.

Southern_Belle2006
Southern_Belle2006 04/30/07 - 04:22 pm
i personally think that

i personally think that before a bunch of people want to go casting stones and making comments you should actually research the things you are commenting on....but it all comes down to the parents teaching the kids what is right and wrong. it amazes me to see what narrow minded people there are out there......

tracesmom
tracesmom 04/30/07 - 04:24 pm
Rave - Thank you to all the

Rave - Thank you to all the volunteers of Operation Augusta Cares. Those of us with deployed spouses appreciate all the time & effort you put into the event which honored the sacrifices our military and military families make for the freedom we all enjoy!

Southern_Belle2006
Southern_Belle2006 04/30/07 - 04:25 pm
And before you try bashing me

And before you try bashing me - I am a Christian and believe in God and I also have researched witchcraft just for plain curiosity....I have a child and I do teach her the difference between make believe and real and right and wrong....

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 04:30 pm
What a day folks.

What a day folks. Witchcraft, god, 9/11, shoeless customers and dirty feet and a rogue administration. I think we covered it all ( we forgot drugs).

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/30/07 - 04:40 pm
oooo NOW DINA you know i'm a

oooo NOW DINA you know i'm a country girl and shoes don't come into play much with me either now I will go to grocery store without any around here but its a small town grocery store but going out to eat in a restaraunt is kinda gross

ForHim
ForHim 04/30/07 - 04:45 pm
Southern Belle - I think it

Southern Belle - I think it is important to research witchcraft and anything else you are curious about. We have to know what we fighting and what we are defending.

MartinezMom
MartinezMom 04/30/07 - 04:56 pm
a2, How do you know those

a2, How do you know those things to be true? Have you experienced them first hand. Did the devil show up at your door one night and say, "here I am"? NO! You believe these things to be true because you choose to. What makes what you believe more real than what another person believes?

Augusta Mom
Augusta Mom 04/30/07 - 05:01 pm
I'm not sure which is really

I'm not sure which is really worse....bedroom slippers in a restaurant or an adult wearing pajamas in Bi-lo . It's pretty ad taste either way.....

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 04/30/07 - 05:11 pm
One gross thing I have seen

One gross thing I have seen in a restaurant is a man in a tank top with his underarm hair right there in people's faces! (It would be just as gross on an unshaved woman.) By the way, Red Hatters have pajama breakfasts all the time. They are clean, not the jammmies in which we just slept, and they are jazzed up with accessories. Usually we will have a special pair of slippers for " stepping out."

AmericanRose
AmericanRose 04/30/07 - 05:18 pm
I would like to put my two

I would like to put my two cents in too. I am a christian and go to church every Sunday and Wednesday night. I read the Bible and believe in God, and I've read Harry Potter. I loved Harry Potter, just like other books of fiction. I told my 6 boys about the books and we have read all the books published to date. They seem to being doing ok. None of them are into spells. It is up the parents to decide what is good or bad for their child. I think I am raising 6 independent thinkers. When they don't like something, they let me know.

charles yonce
charles yonce 04/30/07 - 05:23 pm
still didn't answer my

still didn't answer my question kpc. what happened to the wings,they would have sheered automatically from hitting a reinforced concrete wall.the towers had windows to go through.where are the pictures that the fbi has from all of the cameras? the hole was at the bottom of the wall how was the grass still intact?why were jets scrambled from langley instead of andrews?i'm waiting,i'm waiting!

mable8
mable8 04/30/07 - 05:31 pm
There's NOTHNG WRONG with

There's NOTHNG WRONG with Harry Potter and his adventures; there is something wrong, however, with those having a paternalistic attitude and want to monitor everything people, including children, are reading these days. Like the TV, if you don't like the presentation, either turn to another channel, or turn the TV off, no one is forcing your or your children to read fictional material, such as Harry Potter. God gives everyone some gift to use towards bettering mankind, and that includes the ability to write great books as well as using imagination. Unfortunately, man's inhumanity to man continues to prevail, making life on earth a living hell. As for the Wiccans, they are good people. By the way, where do you think Christmas, Easter, All Saint's Day [Halloween], and the ilk come from? You Christians do my ancestors proud because you still honor our Holy Days. Thank you for preserving our heritage--we Pagans are truly honored.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon 04/30/07 - 05:51 pm
Actually, I think Wicca

Actually, I think Wicca predates Christianity in the areas where it was practiced. If the early Wiccans had never heard of Christianity, how can it be anti-God, or Satanic? These were new concepts to the Wiccans. Mable is correct. The early church leaders, in order to satisfy the pagans and convert them, created holidays to make up for the ones they were reluctant to give up. Also, to control what subjects are taught in public schools is one thing, but to severely control what books are available in a library is different. As far as I know, there is no "subject" called Harry Potter.

scob
scob 04/30/07 - 06:16 pm
For the person who wrote in

For the person who wrote in telling us to view some video, try reading this book published by a well known Christian author : The Gospel According to Harry Potter - Spirituality in the Stories of the World's Most Famous Seeker

jack234
jack234 04/30/07 - 06:17 pm
More curruption from the bush

More curruption from the bush administration. Iraq is a mess.
Fraud and abuse with funds for rebuilding. Same is true with New Orleans. Democrats should give Bush all the war funds he wants. Don't bail him out by denying funds. Don't give him an excuse for failure.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 06:30 pm
I will answer your deluded

I will answer your deluded questions when you tell me what happened to the wings of the planes that I saw on live tv hit the WTC. No sign of them either. And the FBI isn't in the habbit of giving out every piece of information they have. As for why scramble aircraft from where. Well by the time whe knew what plane was going where...it was too late.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 06:37 pm
You are right on one thing

You are right on one thing jack.....New Orleans needs to rebuild. What are they waiting on?

ListenAndLearn
ListenAndLearn 04/30/07 - 06:38 pm

Thank You Cur & Mable, saves me a lot of typing! King James rewrote the Bible, changing the b-Day of JC (which is thought to be sometime in Jan.) to coincide with winter solstice (to coddle the Wiccans & encourage them to convert). Making Christmas a Wiccan/Druid/Christian holiday. What's with the tree, DUH. Wiccans are earth friendly, as Christians are SUPPOSED to be. Before you say a word about anything, you should research the subject. I have, there are a lot of Wiccan Christians. Wiccan V Pagan is not the same thing, however. Close, but no cigar. It's not contradictory, it's cosupporting Fergie. So... witchcraft or miracle? Is there really a difference? Another note: A lot of kids actually READING something! Not playing video games or watching TV (Bewitched, Charmed, anything Disney... the list is endless). Imagine that! They might learn to THINK! And read.

jack234
jack234 04/30/07 - 06:52 pm
Thank you Sen. Chuck Hagel

Thank you Sen. Chuck Hagel (R) for speaking the truth that we don't want to admit to.

waiting4u
waiting4u 04/30/07 - 07:15 pm
You said it Scot!

You said it Scot!

Bandaid_man
Bandaid_man 04/30/07 - 09:41 pm
The whole hullabaloo about

The whole hullabaloo about the Harry Potter Books and Movies and their relationship to Witchcraft tickles me plum pink. I have never in my life heard such poppycock about the DANGERS of Harry Potter and how it will affect the children and drive them away from salvation to the DARK side of life.
Merlin was a Magician in the time of King Arthur.
King Arthur pulled a sword out of a stone. and it was a singing sword that was given to him by the Lady of the Lake. Yeah right.
Cinderella rode to the ball in a carriage made from a pumpkin pulled by six white (mice) horses and wore slippers made of glass. and danced without breaking them.
In the Dragon Rides of Pern series of books people flew on dragons and teleported from one place to another.
Literature is full of fiction and fantasy. Harry Potter is just the creation of a very fertile mind. Let kids have their fantasy, it stimulates their imagination and maybe they too someday will let their imagination run rampant and create the next generation of Fantasy and light up the eyes of a child.
Lighten up folks. Fantasy is fantasy and fiction is fiction. How many read Harlequen novels?? just asking