News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

A RAVE FOR the mom with courage to speak out about Harry Potter in our schools. So it's OK to take God out and put witchcraft in? If you don't believe it, watch the video Under the Spell of Harry Potter by Stephen Dollins, as he exposes all the witchcraft in this series.

A RANT FOR the idiots who drive on Walton Way and get in the right-hand turn-only lane then cut people off to get into the left-hand lane. If you're too stupid to get in the proper lane, then please be smart enough to follow the signs and turn right.

A RAVE for the young lady, Hilary Hopkins, winning the Exchange Club award. She is a fine example of the attitude that is lacking in many of today's youths. The one thing humanity needs in order to survive is our youth asking "what can I do for you" instead of "what can you do for me."

RICHMOND COUNTY SCHOOLS use Voyager Universal Learning reading program. Apparently, it ain't all it's supposed to be. My first-grade class of 1946 learned on Dick and Jane, and we all learned to read ver well.

IT SEEMS THIS WAR has always been about George Bush trying to make a good name for himself. After a few months of fighting, he lied and said we won. And then a few years later, in one month, we have more casualties than ever before.

PEOPLE HERE don't know what a real park is. A real park has swings for toddlers as well as kids and adults; they have sliding boards, seesaws, full and half basketball courts, handball courts, racketball courts, a baseball diamond, some have pools, and last but not least, they have plenty of trees.

THIS IS A RANT for Calvin Holland. Who gave you the position of king of Richmond County?

AN EARLIER RANT stated that nothing was scarier than a Senate, House and presidency in the same party. I think there is: the two parties.

A RANT FOR the lady in Golden Corral on Bobby Jones, sitting in there with your bedroom slippers on. Then I look up and you took your shoes off. That's so disgusting.

THIS IS A RAVE for the Green Meadows' Neighborhood Association. I had some concerns I brought to the president's attention and they were addressed immediately. Not only were my concerns acknowledged openly, I was also treated respectfully, fairly and compassionately. The icing on the cake was the speaker for this month's meeting. I learned a lot from him and my neighbors. This experience gave me hope for the future of our community.

A RAVE FOR the Veteran's Administration hospitals. I have visited several different VA hospitals with my husband and while you may find problems to complain about, be aware that these veterans are not the easiest patients to deal with. A majority of veterans are dealing with numerous health and mental problems, and they do not have a lot of patience. All health care facilities have complaints, and VA facilities are no different. Health care professionals require a great deal of patience when taking care of our soldiers, and they are to be commended for a job well done.

AMAZING HOW IGNORANT and phony leftists are. Now professional sports teams claim they are doing things to help the environment - the Washington Nationals and Philadelphia Eagles are doing things like setting up bicycle racks and using "low-emission carpets" and that's going to save the planet? Meanwhile, they burn more gas going to one out-of-town ball game than a lone citizen does in a lifetime. What a bunch of politically correct hypocrites.

THIS IS A RAVE to the Augusta Mall for offering the ID Your Child Kit free of charge Saturday. All the ones working the event were very helpful and kind even when the little ones were very uncooperative.

dashiel
dashiel 04/30/07 - 11:50 am
I cannot believe all this

I cannot believe all this yammering over young adult fiction. Get an education, a job, a life!

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 11:53 am
I think god is after your

I think god is after your heart kpc because you seem very interested in his people. Father, continue to draw kpc closer. I think this person would be an asset to the kingdom.

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 11:55 am
Start a new conversation then

Start a new conversation then dashiel. What's wrong with bedroom slippers in the Golden Corral. At least she wasn't throwinf bones on the floor. Seriously, maybe the person had a foot problem. Ever think about that?

charles yonce
charles yonce 04/30/07 - 12:01 pm
hey jackass234 i would have

hey jackass234 i would have responded earlier but i read saturdays paper,wrote one response, and moved on. i don't spend all weekend on here like some do.i do write a lot on the aol boards,but we discuss adult business,not defending 92 yr olds who don't know whether they're coming or going anyway.you know many who drive,and do volunteer work?i don't think i've ever met anyone 92. do you still live with your parents? to the person who wrote about the 97 yr old and the 63 yr old having sex, you owe me $7.57 for a takeout lunch that i had to throw away after reading that.that's a 3 bagger there one paper bag for him and 2 for her.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 12:01 pm
Well...for starters, a large

Well...for starters, a large portion of the money is going toward clothes and cars. I have little tolerance for hypocrites. I have even seen people where I work making church bulletins using the company copier and paper. Things like this just get under my skin.

shygirlj
shygirlj 04/30/07 - 12:17 pm
Santa's not real???!!! I'm

Santa's not real???!!! I'm gonna hafta talk to my mommy and daddy!

ForHim
ForHim 04/30/07 - 12:18 pm
kpc - look at another point

kpc - look at another point of view (which by the way, it couldn't have been my church, because we are a casual church and most of them had on shorts, LOL!). If a person makes a comfortable living and wants to buy nice clothes, it's OK. That doesn't mean that they are not charitable. It could possibly mean that they are very charitable. You don't really know until you know the person. I know many people who are very stingy with their money. And many times, those who are stingy with their money don't spend it on themselves either. I really have never understood it either..it's as if they think they will take it with them. God blesses those who are faithful to him and tithe faithfully. I am proof of that. No, I am not rich. I drive an old car and live in a modest home. I have enough food to eat and my children have everything they need and some of what they want. Some people believe that dressing nice to go to church is being respectful to God..that they are putting on their very best for Him. And don't be too hard on the "copiers" at work. In the big scheme of things, that isn't so bad. They could be drug dealers! God is forgiving. Get to know the person 1st.

ForHim
ForHim 04/30/07 - 12:20 pm
And I DO understand where you

And I DO understand where you are coming from KPC. I have a few issues myself with some of the evangelist on TV. Look at how modest Billy Graham is compared to flamboyant Benny Hinn. But there again, we need to make sure we are fair.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 04/30/07 - 12:33 pm
I think the point being made

I think the point being made was that they are taking religon out of school but allowing 'witchcraft'. I dont think the person was being 100% serious in their statement, but then again this is Augusta, and all is possible. Well except maybe for magic. I take that back, the commision does seem to make funds disappear, and it isnt at all unusual to see a minister, marion williams, pitching a temper tantrum, maybe he is just speaking in tongues when he flies of the handle with his insane logic and reasoning.

ForHim
ForHim 04/30/07 - 12:44 pm
I agree, Unbelievable. And I

I agree, Unbelievable. And I believe it was KPC who said neither the Harry Potter books or the Bible should be banned from the school library since it is voluntary as whether it be read or not. That just makes common sense.

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 12:50 pm
Christians are a work in

Christians are a work in progress. Kudo's to them for acknowledging god in their life.

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 12:53 pm
Don't you just love Augusta?

Don't you just love Augusta? They are so with it on everything.

rjay
rjay 04/30/07 - 12:54 pm
a2, i don't read u know

a2, i don't read u know because people on the south side are a little slow, we did not know harry potter was bad, witchcraft was bad, santa bad , barney bad , you got anymore of them there pills because your damn sure not taking them like the doctor told you to!

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 12:54 pm
Where's the housewives today?

Where's the housewives today? We need their input on some world issues.

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 12:55 pm
Why are you cussing at me?

Why are you cussing at me?

ForHim
ForHim 04/30/07 - 12:57 pm
rjay ... have a feeling you

rjay ... have a feeling you found those pills, because you made no sense at all. God is good all the time, and all the time God is good.

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 12:57 pm
rjay,I don't know you and you

rjay,I don't know you and you sure don't know me like that. I can write my opinion just like you can.

whyme
whyme 04/30/07 - 01:09 pm
1)I guess all of the

1)I guess all of the children's fairy tale books should be removed, then. Many have witches, magicians, etc. The Disney movies all have some sort of magic or fantasy, too. I choose to teach my child Christian values at home and make it clear that these things are just what they appear to be-make believe
2)I see people in Walmart all of the time in bedroom slippers and they're not wearing them necessarily for foot issues; they usually have curlers in and even pj bottoms!Manners these days are going down the tubes. No modesty, no self-respect...I say go back to the 50s with all of this!

whyme
whyme 04/30/07 - 01:10 pm
Let me add-this lack of

Let me add-this lack of respect is across all races and cultures. I support the old-fashioned values but definitely not the evilness of racism that existed during the simpler times.

jack234
jack234 04/30/07 - 01:13 pm
Another official in the bush

Another official in the bush administration resigned today. The bush administration is the most currupt and incompetent administraion in the history of the U.S. I can't believe they refused all that foreign aid for katrina victims. Then, on second thought - I can believe it.

localman
localman 04/30/07 - 01:22 pm
With all the factual

With all the factual information out there readily available, you'd think people would know the truth instead of spouting off false information.

eilinel
eilinel 04/30/07 - 01:33 pm
If you have the ability to

If you have the ability to heal and say it comes from God - that's okay. If you have the ability to heal and say it comes from some other source - you're evil. How does that make sense? As for the slippers and curlers...when my sister was married last September, I had to run to a store in curlers, PJs and slippers at 5 am to get a few things we missed when we were getting all the things we needed to have our hair done. Next time, I'll be sure to put on my bridesmaid's dress and have my hair done before I go to a grocery store.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 01:37 pm
Jack..would you rather the

Jack..would you rather the official in the administration didn't resign? Wouldn't that make him MORE corrupt? And as for Katrina Victims.....We are STILL housing a great deal of these people. How long should it take to take care of yourself? Funny how some of the same people who say the current administration is incompetent are the ones who say they rigged two elections, and brought down the twin towers without getting caught. Not bad for some incompetents!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 01:42 pm
don1, the copier thing irks

don1, the copier thing irks me mostly because I hear these same people being judgmental on every little think others do, but they somehow rationalize stealing if they are doing it for the church.

gnx
gnx 04/30/07 - 01:46 pm
All this talk about

All this talk about witchcraft makes me afraid to go to the lake now. What happens if I'm caught floating comfortably on my back in the water? Is the witch patrol going to haul me out and burn me over the barbeque pit? Seriously, when are people going to learn to get along and allow others their own beliefs? I have some Wiccan friends who are wonderful people. They would never dream of telling me I'm silly for being Christian and I give them the same respect.

dthompson
dthompson 04/30/07 - 01:51 pm
I think, unless I missed some

I think, unless I missed some thing in another post, that the person was ranting about slippers being worn in a restaurant. That is disgusting. If you are going to dine in a public place, do us all a favor and dress properly. I was in the grocery store yesterday and there was a guy walking through the store bare-footed. He was just strolling around picking up stuff. Why would people leave their house without shoes? I think its tacky and nasty.

charles yonce
charles yonce 04/30/07 - 02:40 pm
well jack we agree on

well jack we agree on politics,yes this is a rogue administration,rotten to the core,and cheney is the demon here. hey kpc since you are a bush sheeple,(bush follower)and you believe 19 rag tag losers from the middle east pulled this off answer these questions.on sec of state james baker's website there is a 911 timetable,complete with the pictures,names,and the location of each supposed hijacker on each plane.if the planes incinerated how could they compile this info?did the hijackers have nametags on?would they buy a ticket with their actual name?how would they know who was on each plane?the pentagon is surrounded by cameras,on the interstate poles,and cameras on establishments around it.after the missle hit it,the fbi confiscated all the film.wouldn't there be plenty of pictures of a plane hitting the building?why won't the fbi show the developed pictures?why were fighters scrambled from langley,va over 100 miles away,when andrews is 15 miles up the interstate?what happened to the wings kpc?wouldn't there be debris everywhere,yet the area was clean until rumsfeld covered it with sand.where are the pictures kpc?know anything about physics kpc?those buildings,and bldg 7 were rigge

lilmace
lilmace 04/30/07 - 02:45 pm
dthompson, not only is it

dthompson, not only is it tacky to shop barefoot it is also unsanitary. I do not know the laws now for establishments serving and selling food, but at one time, any one entering an establishment selling and serving food must be wearing a shirt and also wearing shoes. I personnally do not like to see someone's dirty feet (most feet do become dirty if you are barefoot).

ForHim
ForHim 04/30/07 - 02:54 pm
As a Christian, it is my job

As a Christian, it is my job to tell others about Jesus and the Bible and what it says. Saying that I don't allow others to have their religion is not an accurate statement. How can I allow or disallow someone to have their own religion. Nobody can do that. I certainly hope I don't make fun of someone because of their beliefs. If it is perceived that way, I sincerely apologize. Having said that, I will continue to tell people about Jesus and the Bible whatever they believe because I believe it to be true and hopefully others will hear God's message through me. Whatever their choice is just that ... their choice. If I believe they are wrong, then that is my opinion. If they believe I am wrong, that is their opinion. Nobody can force any belief or religion down anyone's throat. It just doesn't work that way.

noctur55
noctur55 04/30/07 - 03:04 pm
DON1, Just putting it into

DON1, Just putting it into perspective. Harry Potter is definately fiction, and the bible, well, the bible does have some historic value, but there are definately some unbelievable stories in there. As far as knowledge of the bible, are you the judge of that? Christians arent supposed to be judgemental, so that exposes your hypocrisy to all. I think you may be an agent of satan sent to test my faith in my beliefs...
Lack of class? I think you show even less through your judgement of me. So nyahh!

Property tax increase OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.