Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

A RAVE FOR the mom with courage to speak out about Harry Potter in our schools. So it's OK to take God out and put witchcraft in? If you don't believe it, watch the video Under the Spell of Harry Potter by Stephen Dollins, as he exposes all the witchcraft in this series.

A RANT FOR the idiots who drive on Walton Way and get in the right-hand turn-only lane then cut people off to get into the left-hand lane. If you're too stupid to get in the proper lane, then please be smart enough to follow the signs and turn right.

A RAVE for the young lady, Hilary Hopkins, winning the Exchange Club award. She is a fine example of the attitude that is lacking in many of today's youths. The one thing humanity needs in order to survive is our youth asking "what can I do for you" instead of "what can you do for me."

RICHMOND COUNTY SCHOOLS use Voyager Universal Learning reading program. Apparently, it ain't all it's supposed to be. My first-grade class of 1946 learned on Dick and Jane, and we all learned to read ver well.

IT SEEMS THIS WAR has always been about George Bush trying to make a good name for himself. After a few months of fighting, he lied and said we won. And then a few years later, in one month, we have more casualties than ever before.

PEOPLE HERE don't know what a real park is. A real park has swings for toddlers as well as kids and adults; they have sliding boards, seesaws, full and half basketball courts, handball courts, racketball courts, a baseball diamond, some have pools, and last but not least, they have plenty of trees.

THIS IS A RANT for Calvin Holland. Who gave you the position of king of Richmond County?

AN EARLIER RANT stated that nothing was scarier than a Senate, House and presidency in the same party. I think there is: the two parties.

A RANT FOR the lady in Golden Corral on Bobby Jones, sitting in there with your bedroom slippers on. Then I look up and you took your shoes off. That's so disgusting.

THIS IS A RAVE for the Green Meadows' Neighborhood Association. I had some concerns I brought to the president's attention and they were addressed immediately. Not only were my concerns acknowledged openly, I was also treated respectfully, fairly and compassionately. The icing on the cake was the speaker for this month's meeting. I learned a lot from him and my neighbors. This experience gave me hope for the future of our community.

A RAVE FOR the Veteran's Administration hospitals. I have visited several different VA hospitals with my husband and while you may find problems to complain about, be aware that these veterans are not the easiest patients to deal with. A majority of veterans are dealing with numerous health and mental problems, and they do not have a lot of patience. All health care facilities have complaints, and VA facilities are no different. Health care professionals require a great deal of patience when taking care of our soldiers, and they are to be commended for a job well done.

AMAZING HOW IGNORANT and phony leftists are. Now professional sports teams claim they are doing things to help the environment - the Washington Nationals and Philadelphia Eagles are doing things like setting up bicycle racks and using "low-emission carpets" and that's going to save the planet? Meanwhile, they burn more gas going to one out-of-town ball game than a lone citizen does in a lifetime. What a bunch of politically correct hypocrites.

THIS IS A RAVE to the Augusta Mall for offering the ID Your Child Kit free of charge Saturday. All the ones working the event were very helpful and kind even when the little ones were very uncooperative.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 08:37 am
I never said anyone was

I never said anyone was stopping people from thinking for themselves. I just said that they WEREN'T thinking for themselves.

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 08:40 am
I got mad too, when I found

I got mad too, when I found out some things that I thought were harmeless, were in fact not. There were some things that older people did and thought that on closer examination were not right. It's still your decision on what you do or allow your children to absorb. Each person will stand for himself and his choices.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 08:45 am
So what is harmfull about

So what is harmfull about reading a Harry Potter book?

fergie01
fergie01 04/30/07 - 08:46 am
religion and white magic.

religion and white magic. hmmm sounds alike to me. have you ever seen a really older person praying to god while touching a child with a burnt hand. i have. it is called talking the fire out. yes i was very young,but some things never leave your mind. i do believe god gave some people the ability to heal. and you now will want to know why these people don't just come out and heal all the burns.right? because of people like you.

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 08:46 am
This is what I know to be

This is what I know to be true. The devil is real, there is an afterlife, you will live forever somewhere and the satan is after the seed. For some it's music with nasty despicable lyrics, for some it's witchcraft to entice the young people. It seems harmless until they start trying to dabble in it. That's when you get pulled in deeper. You start trying to manipulate circumstances and people. In the end you will pay a far bigger price than you imagined.

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 08:51 am
I believe in healing through

I believe in healing through Christ Jesus. I believe in healing through the laying on of hands. You can not have alliegence to light and dark. Witchcraft is of the dark side.

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 08:55 am
If you want to read Harry

waiting4u
waiting4u 04/30/07 - 08:56 am
Honestly...it's just a

Honestly...it's just a book...we as adults like to analyze things too much. Get over it!

waiting4u
waiting4u 04/30/07 - 09:02 am
The children don't enjoy

The children don't enjoy things because the adults like to make things so out of wack. It's a FICTIONAL series that has children all around the world reading and wanting to read. Just like Spider-man is fictional. The children know that they can't flash wands around or shoot out spider webs from their hands.

ForHim
ForHim 04/30/07 - 09:22 am
I am a very devout Christian

I am a very devout Christian and I would like to address some of the comments above. First of all, the Bible is a non-fiction book. Harry Potter is a fiction book. I see nothing wrong with reading a fiction book with all it's imagination and fun and stuff. However, for younger readers, it is important that they do understand that it is fiction, just as if you they were reading Cinderella or some other book full of someone else's imagination (i.e. The Davinci Code which is a fiction novel). Noctur, you absolutely have no class for making that remark and are absolutely clueless about God and the Bible. (kpc, you probably knew it was me who would make a comment about his remark, LOL). Fergie01, a devout Christian cannot believe in white magic or dark magic.I am sure you and your grandmother are very good people, but please don't be confused about God and magic. If your grandmother was praying over someone and the person she was praying over was healed, it was God that healed them..not your grandmother. Wiccan is going against God. If you are a Christian, you can't believe in Wiccan magic. Is is against His commandments. God is good all the time, and all the time God is good.

nash63
nash63 04/30/07 - 09:28 am
a2, Harry Potter is fiction.

a2, Harry Potter is fiction. It's make-believe. It's like fairy tales and even Sesame Street. Did your kids watch Sesame Street? Do they believe that puppets can talk? Reading Harry Potter is not the same thing as believing it is true and, thus, embracing the dark side. It's not real, nor is it intended to advance the cause of sorcery. It is _fiction_!! If your children are too delicate for exciting adventure tales of good versus evil, with good ultimately triumphing, then don't let them read Harry Potter. If you don't want your children to read examples of true friendship and honor, don't let them read Harry Potter. If you don't want them to imagine anything that you have not already allowed them to imagine, then don't let them read Harry Potter. Oh, and by the way, I am a Christian and a former teacher. I see nothing religiously threatening in Harry Potter, and I see wonderful, engaging literature that can bring reluctant readers to a book. God is much more powerful than you think. And, I believe He loves a good read, too. :)

Mattie
Mattie 04/30/07 - 09:36 am
My son was the first child in

My son was the first child in his school to read all of the Potter books when he was younger. He did not believe it and did not want to study witchcraft as a result. He also read the book about Potter and the Bible and debunked most of the garbage in it himself. In the book, they celebrate Christmas. By the way--how many people are railing against "Bewitched" or "Sabrina the Teenage Witch?" Aren't they doing the same thing?

Rose
Rose 04/30/07 - 09:44 am
I remember reading Jack and

I remember reading Jack and Jill. They had a dog named Spot and I think the cat was named Puff. I loved those books.The whole class learned fast how to read. That was so much fun!

mommie2
mommie2 04/30/07 - 09:55 am
Harry Potter is just the new

Harry Potter is just the new Teletubbies or the trolls with the hair sticking up. It's just something for them to complain about to sound high and mighty.

scob
scob 04/30/07 - 09:56 am
quoting a2 - If you want to

quoting a2 - If you want to read Harry Potter, by all means do. I'm just telling you whatI know to be true. A lot of people did things without connecting the two. But once you know the truth, you are held accountable for it.
A2, please share more info. Are you saying that children read HP and went out and cursed people? Maybe after reading HP they played a game or two on their xbox or ps3. Those games are so educational for our youth. Or, maybe they watched a little TV before going out. OH NO, Barney might brain wash my nephew!!

waiting4u
waiting4u 04/30/07 - 10:06 am
Guess what..Disney has lots

Guess what..Disney has lots of references to magic...so I guess there are some people that are going to ban Disney World now.

AsItIs
AsItIs 04/30/07 - 10:12 am
If you believe in the "Power

If you believe in the "Power of Good", then you must also believe in the "Power of Evil"; however, those of us with a positive faith believe that "Good" will always prevail!

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 10:13 am
I know it seems funny to you

I know it seems funny to you but, you do have to be selective.
I'm just saying certain things might lead them to believe later on that spells and such are harmlessand that it is an alternative to get what they want. Do you realize how many college students and such practice these things? Also Sabrina etc. on tv. It is pushed in subtle ways. Some of the games for the xbox & ps3 are violent . Maybe not the ones you get but some are very violent. I know that games are outlets for recreation for children. You just have to make an informed choice. But once they've latched on to it, it will be hard to take it away.
Don't kill the messenger. If you can use the info fine. If not disregard. You do your family like you want, and I'll do it like I want.

waiting4u
waiting4u 04/30/07 - 10:25 am
So A2 you believe in spells?

So A2 you believe in spells? That spells can actually be cast through a wand? Do you believe in ghosts too and the Easter bunny? But you believe in God as well.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 10:25 am
Actually don1, you weren't in

Actually don1, you weren't in mind when I said look out, but I knew it was comming anyway. One point, however. How can you not believe in magic, then say that it's evil? I think I know what you mean, but it's a bit confusing.

waiting4u
waiting4u 04/30/07 - 10:26 am
Maybe it's best that you

Maybe it's best that you don't allow your children to read fictional books...they may not be able to comprehend between what is real and what is not.

ForHim
ForHim 04/30/07 - 10:26 am
There are so many people that

There are so many people that don't pay attention to their children and let them read/watch/play what they want without knowing or even caring about the circumstances. A2 has a valid point. Even though I don't believe that reading Harry Potter is going to turn your child into a witch, it can make them curious about witchcraft. If you are a Christian, it is very important that you let them know that witchcraft is dangerous, immoral and is against God's teachings. ( I know there are people that will say "why is it dangerous or immoral, etc ... save the comments .. those are my opinions). It is very important that we monitor what our children are in to and they we talk to them about it. We cannot assume that they will "get it". Many will think that if Harry Potter did it (practiced witchcraft) and my parents allowed me to read that book, it is OK. The book in itself is not the problem. The lack of parental guidance is.

scob
scob 04/30/07 - 10:34 am
How will you teach you

How will you teach you children if they have no idea what you are talking about? If children read the books (and ADULTS) in question and discuss them afterwards, thats teaching. But to blindly tell them witchcraft is in the books and they can go to hell for reading them is (to me) the WRONG way to teach. BTW define miracle.(it is considered "supernatural".)

fergie01
fergie01 04/30/07 - 10:36 am
don1,please understand my

don1,please understand my grandmother was praying to god when she talked the fire out. i never said that grandmother healed the people herself ,but she must have been special to be able to have god use her. to me this is magic.yes thank you i would like to think that we are pretty good people.

waiting4u
waiting4u 04/30/07 - 10:37 am
hey A2 when you celebrate

hey A2 when you celebrate Christmas do you go along with the commercialized side where you go out and by tons of outside lights, take your childrens to have pics w/ Santa. Do you go shopping and by tons of unneeded gifts for your childrend that they forget that they have after the New Year comes around? Do you get in that shopping crowd and act just as crazy as everyone else and then get into some road rage on your way home through that horrible holiday traffic? That's not Christmas! That is not the true meaning. But you probably teach them the true meaning as well. Well my boys are both under the age of 7 and they know that there is no such thing as Santa and they understand the true meaning of this holiday and they also like Harry Potter.

scob
scob 04/30/07 - 10:37 am
The book in itself is not the

The book in itself is not the problem. The lack of parental guidance is.
COULD NOT HAVE PUT IT ANY BETTER! don1, YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 10:41 am
I'm not going to argue with

I'm not going to argue with you. This is just my testimony. I know what happened to me, not from HP, but from curiosity. If I could hep anyone avoid taking that direction, then your laughing at me would not matter. Monitor monitor, monitor.

ForHim
ForHim 04/30/07 - 10:46 am
fergie - God does use people

fergie - God does use people in special ways. Your grandmother must have been very special to Him.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 10:48 am
Just an

Just an observation...Yesterday I was taking a leisurly ride on my bike when I rode past several churches that were just letting out. Almost without exception, the people were dressed in very nice tailored suits, and getting into very expensive cars. If they truly believe what is being taught in the church they just left, couldn't their money be better spent helping others, than on expensive clothes and cars?

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 10:50 am
How do you know what they do

How do you know what they do with their money?

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.