Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers:

A RAVE FOR the mom with courage to speak out about Harry Potter in our schools. So it's OK to take God out and put witchcraft in? If you don't believe it, watch the video Under the Spell of Harry Potter by Stephen Dollins, as he exposes all the witchcraft in this series.

A RANT FOR the idiots who drive on Walton Way and get in the right-hand turn-only lane then cut people off to get into the left-hand lane. If you're too stupid to get in the proper lane, then please be smart enough to follow the signs and turn right.

A RAVE for the young lady, Hilary Hopkins, winning the Exchange Club award. She is a fine example of the attitude that is lacking in many of today's youths. The one thing humanity needs in order to survive is our youth asking "what can I do for you" instead of "what can you do for me."

RICHMOND COUNTY SCHOOLS use Voyager Universal Learning reading program. Apparently, it ain't all it's supposed to be. My first-grade class of 1946 learned on Dick and Jane, and we all learned to read ver well.

IT SEEMS THIS WAR has always been about George Bush trying to make a good name for himself. After a few months of fighting, he lied and said we won. And then a few years later, in one month, we have more casualties than ever before.

PEOPLE HERE don't know what a real park is. A real park has swings for toddlers as well as kids and adults; they have sliding boards, seesaws, full and half basketball courts, handball courts, racketball courts, a baseball diamond, some have pools, and last but not least, they have plenty of trees.

THIS IS A RANT for Calvin Holland. Who gave you the position of king of Richmond County?

AN EARLIER RANT stated that nothing was scarier than a Senate, House and presidency in the same party. I think there is: the two parties.

A RANT FOR the lady in Golden Corral on Bobby Jones, sitting in there with your bedroom slippers on. Then I look up and you took your shoes off. That's so disgusting.

THIS IS A RAVE for the Green Meadows' Neighborhood Association. I had some concerns I brought to the president's attention and they were addressed immediately. Not only were my concerns acknowledged openly, I was also treated respectfully, fairly and compassionately. The icing on the cake was the speaker for this month's meeting. I learned a lot from him and my neighbors. This experience gave me hope for the future of our community.

A RAVE FOR the Veteran's Administration hospitals. I have visited several different VA hospitals with my husband and while you may find problems to complain about, be aware that these veterans are not the easiest patients to deal with. A majority of veterans are dealing with numerous health and mental problems, and they do not have a lot of patience. All health care facilities have complaints, and VA facilities are no different. Health care professionals require a great deal of patience when taking care of our soldiers, and they are to be commended for a job well done.

AMAZING HOW IGNORANT and phony leftists are. Now professional sports teams claim they are doing things to help the environment - the Washington Nationals and Philadelphia Eagles are doing things like setting up bicycle racks and using "low-emission carpets" and that's going to save the planet? Meanwhile, they burn more gas going to one out-of-town ball game than a lone citizen does in a lifetime. What a bunch of politically correct hypocrites.

THIS IS A RAVE to the Augusta Mall for offering the ID Your Child Kit free of charge Saturday. All the ones working the event were very helpful and kind even when the little ones were very uncooperative.

Boston93
Boston93 04/30/07 - 06:09 am
Raves to whomever was

Raves to whomever was responsible for the new left turn red light at Clearwater Road and Highway 1 in Clearwater. Been a major problem there or several years. Thanks.

Jenn30907
Jenn30907 04/30/07 - 06:10 am
The cartoons on now are

The cartoons on now are becoming filled with violence and people are worried about Harry Potter? Look deeper into the Potter series and you will see that it's all about friendships and the caring bonds of people. Before someone starts bashing these books, they better read them first. If a child can't distinguish between the real world and the imaginary one then they are not old enough to read them.

naugliberal
naugliberal 04/30/07 - 06:35 am
amazing how ignorant some

amazing how ignorant some people are about what a "leftist" is.

MartinezMom
MartinezMom 04/30/07 - 06:51 am
Harry Potter is fantasy for

Harry Potter is fantasy for goodness sakes. I guess we should just take away our children's imaginations too. Some people need to get out more often and get a life.

peonynut
peonynut 04/30/07 - 07:05 am
It says on the book, a work

It says on the book, a work of fiction. If your child can read the book then he knows it is fiction.

CSRAider
CSRAider 04/30/07 - 07:21 am
Marry Poppins flew. Chitty

Marry Poppins flew. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was a flying car. Herbie The Love Bug. Look imagination makes the world go round. Im not saying everything in Harry Potter is good but that is why you are the parents. Let your kids know what the difference is between good and bad. Fake and Reality. I wish somtimes I could snap my fingers and change the way things are going.

Its 5oclock somewhere
Its 5oclock somewhere 04/30/07 - 07:30 am
You will need a good

You will need a good imagination if the democrats take the White House in 08.

EdithPiaf
EdithPiaf 04/30/07 - 07:31 am
They are not bashing the

They are not bashing the Harry Potter series.. I believe they are arguing that witchcraft is being allowed in schools when the Bible isn't. Witchcraft is indeed a main part of the Harry Potter stories, isn't it?

isuzurodeo1996
isuzurodeo1996 04/30/07 - 07:47 am
I think the reason the Bible

I think the reason the Bible is deprived in schools is the whole separation of church and state. The state owns the schools, so they separate the church from the schools. I think the Harry Potter books are amazing and to see 7 yr olds-adults reading especially a long novel, is a sure step in the right direction. Im 23 and wish I had a series like Harry Potter to read when I was younger. It beats all of the boring stuff we HAD to read.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 07:57 am
Harry Potter bad.....Star

Harry Potter bad.....Star Wars good? Yeah, that makes sense. Personally I don't see a problem with having a Bible or any other religious book in a school library, since they don't force you to read it, how could this violate the first amendment?

noctur55
noctur55 04/30/07 - 08:04 am
I think that its a wonderful

I think that its a wonderful idea that Harry Potter and his band of Witches be banned from schools. Reading fantasy allows children to form an imagination, and opens them to reading other more advanced works of literature that may open their minds even further. If we allow this to happen, they may form an original thought, or worse develop a mind of their own! Before you know it, they may begin to question authority, and it wont be long after that they dont believe the stories that we have been telling them, especially the stories about the giant boat that carried 2 of each animal on board to save them from the great flood. Or the incredibly strong man, who lost his strength when his girlfriend cut his hair! Or the big one about the guy who parted the red sea to lead his people away from the egyptians... they wont be able to tell fantasy from fact...wait a minute...Burn the Harry Potter Books, quickly!!!!

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 04/30/07 - 08:19 am
Back when Bill Clinton and

Back when Bill Clinton and Hillary got married Bill told her, “There's one thing I want you to know. There's a box under my bed and I don't want you to look in it until I die.”

Hillary agreed to this but, over the years, the curiosity got the better of her and she finally looked in it. She found three beer cans and 1.5 million dollars in cash.

When she asked Bill what the beer cans were for, he replied, “Well, those are for all the times I've cheated on you.”

Hillary said, “Well, that's not bad after all these years and you being a politician and traveling and all.”

She was about to leave, but then she said, “Hey, Bill, what about the 1.5 million dollars?”

Bill replied, “That's for all the times the box got full and I had to cash the cans in.”

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 08:25 am
noctur.....some of these

noctur.....some of these people are gonna eat you alive for that one! better duck!

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 04/30/07 - 08:39 am
Watch out y'all! It's the

Watch out y'all! It's the wackos like that who will next try to have our kids burned at the stake for reading the devils work! LMAO I agree with Jenn30907. Have you seen some of the cartoons on TV lately? How about the news? Showing and talking about REAL death, murders, rapes, school massacre's and mass destruction. That sure doesn't give our kids any idea's now does it? I almost feel bad for the person that thinks Harry Potter is an evil entity. Have you been paying attention to the middle east lately? Now there an evil entity for you! How narrow minded and easily lead can you be? Is that what you truly believe in your heart? Or is it just what some way out there so called church told you? Now before I get blasted for that comment, I will tell y'all that I truly accept God as my Lord and Savior. I follow only one God and his word and not the words of some false profit who has a big fat head! Has anyone noticed the increase of churches lately? The church of this and the church of that! Are they truly there to teach the word of God or is it just a way to make some fast cash???

toppergem
toppergem 04/30/07 - 08:41 am
I can't put my finger on it

I can't put my finger on it yet, but Calvin Holland is up to something. Snooping around behind Fred Russell's back for information he could have requested out right. He is a commissioner and getting the information he wanted is within his right. It is all in how you do things!!!!

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/30/07 - 08:57 am
great way to put it

great way to put it noctur....I have read all the Harry Potter books and so have my kids...these days if I can get my kids to read anything outside of school work i think it's great and these books really seem to perk their interest the more they get into them so kudos for the Harry Potter series and all those alike

thohen
thohen 04/30/07 - 09:03 am
Does Fred Russell have

Does Fred Russell have anything to hide? If not, he shouldn't worry about whoever looks in the "cities" computer, after all, the computer does belong to the government of Richmond County, and if you have something to hide on your hard drive, you should have put it on your personal computer, then you would have reason for an outcry. Like it or not, you work for the commissioners, and they have the right to get information from your computer.

NotyourDadsBuick
NotyourDadsBuick 04/30/07 - 09:08 am
Parents who lament the

Parents who lament the "witchcraft" in the Harry Potter series must be doing a shi--y job parenting their kids. Has their been an increase in Wiccan converts as a result of Harry Potter? That rant read like it was posted by an uneducated piece of evangelical trailer trash.

fergie01
fergie01 04/30/07 - 09:09 am
many adults read fantasy. why

many adults read fantasy. why not let the kids. come on parents know when to pick your battles. let me guess(and don't take this wrong) the people who want the potter books out are very ,very religous. so what.i had a lit teacher who was also my sunday school teacher. we read some wacky stuff. we came out fine. this is the same generation that also got butt whoopings instead of time out. read children read! it will take your mind off of your little problems.

MyOpinion2
MyOpinion2 04/30/07 - 09:11 am
Thohen, I believe most people

Thohen, I believe most people feel they have the right to get the information from the computer, but it is the Way Calvin Holland went about it, it was sneaky. Wonder how Calvin Holland or any other Commissioner would feel if it had happened to them?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 09:12 am
Hmmmmm.....Ban Harry Potter

Hmmmmm.....Ban Harry Potter because it mentions witchcraft. Let's see.....Stonehenge was built by the druids. Better get rid of any mention of that. Spanish Inquisition. Can't have kids reading about that. You know witchraft is even in the encyclopedia! I have a solution to our energy needs. We can generate electricity with all these books we will be burning!

fergie01
fergie01 04/30/07 - 09:13 am
what is wrong with wiccan? i

what is wrong with wiccan? i thought it was mostly white magic ? this is a serious question by the way.

rjay
rjay 04/30/07 - 09:14 am
is it a good witch or a bad

is it a good witch or a bad witch,

fergie01
fergie01 04/30/07 - 09:24 am
my great grandmother believed

my great grandmother believed in wiccan magic. and she was a devout southern baptist. that is why i cannot believe it is bad. help me out someone.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 09:27 am
Somebody's minister told them

Somebody's minister told them that all magic is bad....therefore it must be true. Heaven forbid should they think for themselves.

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 09:31 am
You can't have allegience to

You can't have allegience to the dark side and the light. It's one or the other. That's where the problem exists, thinking you can be faithful to one while dabbling in the other. Choose ye this day whom you will serve. Only you can maje that choice.

waiting4u
waiting4u 04/30/07 - 09:31 am
well yeah sure there are

well yeah sure there are examples of witchcraft in the Harry Potter series...He goes to school that teaches it. LOL! Some people are so stupid. My child is 6 years old and guess what he was eager to learn to read because of Harry Potter and has read the first book all on his own. It's call fiction. I am pretty sure if you are such a concerned parent that you have read fairy tales to your child...I bet many of those have some magic in them and mention witches that do spells which is considered witchcraft. What about Snow White and the wicked witch. What about the Wizard of Oz? Come on people stop trying to make a mountain over a mole hill. You remind me of the person who goes to church on Sunday and then when you go out to eat afterward you treat the waiter like he is beneath you after you listened to the sermon about judging others. Or what about the preachers that turn out to be child molesters. Or the preacher's daughters that sleep around with everything that walks but want to annouce who they are to justify themselves. Harry Potter is sounding better. There is nothing wrong with imagination...they are our children...they should enjoy their childhood.

a2
a2 04/30/07 - 09:36 am
It's a personal decision. No

It's a personal decision. No one is stopping you from thinking for yourself.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/30/07 - 09:36 am
You know my kid read a Harry

You know my kid read a Harry Potter book...then he went to Hogwarts and learned withcraft himself. Now I have things flying all over the house, and it's hard to type with these hands, since he turned me into a newt. Hopefully the flying monkeys will come save me from this little sorcerer.

rt1523c
rt1523c 04/30/07 - 09:36 am
I can't beleive some overly

I can't beleive some overly sensitive bedwetter removed this great joke. Lord have mercy, who did I offend, or what foul language did I use. Maybe if I was simply insulting people, I would have been OK.

ARC to honor 1956 championship team

Because the championship year of 1956 has never lost its glory in Richmond Academy football lore, the team will be honored Thursday at the third annual ARC Hall of Fame banquet, where 10 alumni ...