Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

THE GOVERNMENT should allow the people who lost their animals from the poison dog food to sue the companies. It might make them think twice about keeping our food safer.

THIS IS A RANT and a rave. Can we have a "Movies Under The Stars" back? That was so enjoyable to family members.

SOUNDS LIKE U.S. Sen. Harry Reid has stock in a white flag company.

MY NEIGHBORS aren't abiding by the water restrictions. I am, and my lawn is dying.

PRAISE THE LORD for the new name for St. Joseph Hospital: Trinity.

SPEED LIMITS? What a joke. Our law enforcement uses the speed limits as a source of revenue for their respective departments.

IS RICHMOND COUNTY'S noise ordinance going to be enforced? I'm on Martin Luther King Boulevard, and every day all we hear is noise.

I LAUGHED WHEN I READ two articles from the daily briefing page. First, the man calling himself the anti-Christ. The other, just as dangerous, is Hillary Clinton saying that if she is elected, she would appoint Wild Bill as a roaming ambassador to the world. Not so funny after all, is it?

MY RANT IS IN REFERENCE to Jasmine Young. I feel like this young lady should have some type of recognition. She played basketball and stayed on the honor roll. This is why kids drop out. We need to be encouraging her and other children.

THIS IS A RAVE to the Richmond County sheriff's deputies that got the boys who were in the process of a recent robbery and a rant to the punks who think they will continue to get away with it. You won't. We are all watching you!

WHEN THEY PICK children for the pre-K lottery, why is it done behind closed doors? That shows me that there is something hanky-panky about it.

A BIG RAVE to Columbia County for getting out of the pre-K business. Now if we can just close all government schools and do away with teachers' unions, maybe our children will get the education they deserve.

THE IRS ACTUALLY has the gall to "warn" churches to control their freedom of speech and religion or they'll lose their nonprofit status.

WIZARD WEBMASTERS who make sites that don't work with Macs are not wizards at all and should not be paid.

THIS IS A RANT against weight requirements for yard trash. When a 100-pound woman can lift a container to the curb, shouldn't our strong city employees be able to lift the same container from the curb to their truck? If they are unable to lift a container of leaves and yard clippings, maybe they would be better served at a fast-food place flipping burgers.

TO THE PEOPLE posting fliers on downtown Augusta light posts and other public or private property: It looks tacky. Businesses aren't just between 10th and 12th streets, so maybe there should be more flier kiosks.

YET ANOTHER RANT for commissioners: I see you have created a new subcommittee without the citizens' approval or knowledge, and in doing so appointed Commissioner Holland chief of the Gestapo. What a joke you people are to this community and state.

THE ELDERLY of our nation are not bad drivers. They do not, in general, talk on cell phones while driving, drive with excessive speeds, tailgate or multitask while at the wheel.

Martinez
Martinez 04/28/07 - 05:03 am
It is no secret that speeding

It is no secret that speeding tickets are a source of revenue. Quite honestly, I would rather see more tickets written as a means of funding street improvement projects and properly funding our local police and fire departments. There are some towns that near fully fund their police department with ticket revenue alone. Here are two examples: (1) Waldo, Florida, population 821 - In 2002, Waldo issued 6,539 tickets. For fiscal year 2001-02, traffic fines were 38.7 percent of the town budget and 105 percent of the police budget. (2) Lawtey, Florida, population 656 - Lawtey issued 5,257 tickets in 2002. Traffic fines accounted for 34 percent of the town budget and 98 percent of the police budget.

Martinez
Martinez 04/28/07 - 05:33 am
While I know this opinion

While I know this opinion won’t be popular in the Augusta bible belt, I agree with the IRS threatening church tax-exempt status if they use their influence on political matters. They are not stifling a churches freedom of speech or religion as the ranter has stated, they are simply saying that if a church is going to serve as a political vehicle, then the donations and assets of that church should not be protected from taxation. The last thing I want to see is “The First Baptist Church of Democrats” or “Saint Mary’s Republican Cathedral”.

naugliberal
naugliberal 04/28/07 - 06:43 am
If you think getting rid of

If you think getting rid of public schools and barring unions is progress you would have loved 1850.

paralegal6111972
paralegal6111972 04/28/07 - 07:04 am
This is in response to the

This is in response to the Behind closed door pre-K drawing. My son was in Pre-K this year and the drawing that was done was in the cafeteria in front of everyone there. Everyone who had their name in the box was there so we saw everything.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/28/07 - 07:04 am
How does the govenrment

How does the govenrment prevent you from sueing a pet food company? I don't want to see unions banned, but I'm not going to give them my money for no reason.

kudzo-n-roses
kudzo-n-roses 04/28/07 - 07:08 am
Happy Weekend Everyone

Happy Weekend Everyone !!!!..... A little comic relief to start off the day............I have six locks on my door, all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three of them.

a2
a2 04/28/07 - 07:46 am
God bless the elderly, but

God bless the elderly, but they do drive a little too slow. It would be nice if taxi's could take them for free or a small minimal amount.

jack234
jack234 04/28/07 - 07:58 am
God bless the slow drivers. I

God bless the slow drivers. I bet when you're 92, you are not going to be in a hurry to get anywhere either.

whatever1
whatever1 04/28/07 - 08:05 am
Some of the yound need to

Some of the yound need to slow, like the moron I work with that pulled into the parking on 2 wheels this morning and he thinks that is so cool!!!

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/28/07 - 08:24 am
For those into Nascar Track

For those into Nascar Track Pass is free on nascar.com this weekend so you can listen to all in car audio aand pit audio for your favorite driver its talledega so it ought to be awesome

charles yonce
charles yonce 04/28/07 - 08:24 am
yeah jack and just where in

yeah jack and just where in the hell do 92 yr old people go anyway?all they have to do is drink a prune milkshake,and watch fox news all day.now put your dunce cap on and repeat after me " i will not write anymore stupid posts today!"

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/28/07 - 08:31 am
POPKORN I have to admit for

POPKORN I have to admit for once that was funny!!!

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 04/28/07 - 08:48 am
Pertaining to age 92 - don't

Pertaining to age 92 - don't some of you wonder if you will GET that old???
Some at 92 are smarter than a lot of others occupying this planet.
DO have a nice weekend!!

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/28/07 - 08:57 am
I'm sorry meme but I would

I'm sorry meme but I would hope when I'm 92 my family would not let me drive...I'm sorry but 92 year old people do NOT need to drive...most of them are on presciption medicine..and you can't tell me that at that age your perception and reaction time have greatly slowed over timeMaybe up to about 70 but anything over that would definately be questionable...

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 04/28/07 - 09:05 am
I believe that popkorn's

I believe that popkorn's remark sort of rubbed me wrong, even though I am NOT 92! :)

noctur55
noctur55 04/28/07 - 09:09 am
Thank you Martinez. Well

Thank you Martinez. Well said.

Rose
Rose 04/28/07 - 09:14 am
There are too many speed

There are too many speed demons on the roads. Slow down and relax. I hardly ever go more than 5 miles over the speed limit, and people pass me like a bat out of he...Following me too close won't make me go faster. It could get me a new car if you hit me.I have a right to go the speed limit. Going the speed limit is not going slow.

jack234
jack234 04/28/07 - 09:28 am
Popkorn: For your information

Popkorn: For your information a lot of those 92 year olds don't just sit and watch fox all day - it would be nice if they could. But, quite the contrary, I know some that go over and babysit their grandchildren, or do volunteer work. By the way, a lot of them have already worked (a different generation) 35 or 40 years and paid their taxed that built the roads and installed the signal lights and paid the salaries of the police officers that keep them safe. Some 92 year old drive out of necessity. They have to pick up their prescriptions and prune juice because their children have forsaken them. Don't write back and say that should be in a nursing home. Have you visited one lately. There are some homes I would't put my dog in. Stupidity is in the eye of the beholder.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 04/28/07 - 09:30 am
To add to Martinez's report

To add to Martinez's report on Lawtey and Waldo, Florida. That has been the case for several decades and serves them well. We used to drive through there and were well informed. :)

Rose - My sentiments exactly!! I might turn on my emergency flashers if they get too close - as I consider that an emergency!

bravesfan1
bravesfan1 04/28/07 - 10:00 am
In reference to elderly

In reference to elderly drivers: I am present at many motor vehicle accidents and can accurately tell you that the vast majority of those involved are middle-aged (25-40). Not the elderly or the teen-aged. And most often times these accident's are due to cell phone usage or someone traveling at well over the posted speed limit, which reduces reaction time. YET, there is a difference in being cautious and TOO cautious, in regards to elderly drivers.

shep827
shep827 04/28/07 - 10:04 am
Everything would be fine...if

Everything would be fine...if all the slow people read the signs that say "Slower traffic keep right"

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/28/07 - 10:31 am
Did mystery have a moment

Did mystery have a moment

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/28/07 - 11:06 am
if so....it's a mystery to

if so....it's a mystery to me! lol. And Shep, if the slow people follow the "slower traffic keep right" sign, will you also follow the "speed limit" sign?

LaTashaF
LaTashaF 04/28/07 - 11:17 am
Hollygolightly, that was

Hollygolightly, that was really funny about the locks! I was having an okay day but that really lifted my spirits. Thanks!

kiddspur
kiddspur 04/28/07 - 11:20 am
Hey Popkorn -- 92 ain't bad

Hey Popkorn -- 92 ain't bad we had a 97 year old marry a 63 year old up here the other day -- the bet was not who would drive but if he would make it through the honeymoon!!!! - to heck with the driving....

m23866
m23866 04/28/07 - 11:21 am
i have a question for these

i have a question for these called bbw's how come you own a collection of cooking book's but can hardly cook?

BobG
BobG 04/28/07 - 11:23 am
Any of you bigoted biased

Any of you bigoted biased geniuses out there ever considered looking at individuals as individuals? People are living longer and healthier today. There are without a doubt more than a handful of 92 year olds who drive better and are more alert than the average 29 year old. If I manage to live that long, I plan to be one of them. On the other hand, maybe you have a good idea there. Round 'em up and get 'em off the streets. Don't stop there; I've heard a lot of complaints about women drivers too. For that matter, Jews, Blacks, Hispanics don't drive exactly right either do they? Let's make a list!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/28/07 - 11:23 am
34 years diffence.....what a

34 years diffence.....what a pedophile! lol

shep827
shep827 04/28/07 - 11:24 am
I could follow the speed

I could follow the speed limit once the slow people get in the other lane. Once you see someone coming behind you going faster than you that means to get over. Left lane is for passing. You shouldn't have to get in the right lane to pass

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/28/07 - 11:25 am
Kill all the old people!

Kill all the old people! Anyone ever seen Logan's Run?

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs