Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

IF THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY recognizes drug and alcohol dependency as a disease, why then are we not locking up people with AIDS, the flu or cancer? Because there is no cure for cancer patients in prison. Why is it so hard to realize there is no cure for drug addicts and alcoholics in prison?

THIS IS A MESSAGE to all the people of south Augusta who don't want all the lowlifes increasing the crime rate in their neighborhoods. Now you know why we don't want people from Richmond County moving into Columbia County.

IF POLITICIANS DON'T MAKE the language of government complicated, they can't get away with charging fifty grand for a nickel's worth of effort. No wonder nobody can understand modern politician language. If citizens are allowed to understand political speech, they won't go along with paying the bill.

THE WANDERERS AT the Augusta Mall who are talking loudly and slowly meandering up and down the mall make it a very undesirable place.

GAS PRICES ARE HIGH enough without a gas station's show of absolute greed by having a pricing structure of 20 cents between grades. It is bad enough when some go 12 or 13 cents between grades, but 20 cents? Come on, greedy owner, give us a break.

WHEN IS AL GORE going to get off his diatribe about cleaning up the atmosphere and focus on cleaning up the Internet, which he supposedly invented.

PEACHCARE IS JUST another form of socialized health care. If it is done away with, taxpayers of our nation won't have to pick up the slack for people who should not have had children in the first place.

SOMEBODY NEEDS TO TELL Katie Couric how to report. She looks intimidated, like she has seen a ghost. She also needs to change her appearance with brighter colors more appealing to people.

FREE SPEECH only applies if you are a minority.

DON IMUS got canceled not because he made a bad comment but because he's just not funny. He was trying too hard.

IF YOU'RE GOING to the dollar store to buy chocolate bars, I want to let you know that it is all made in Mexico. We don't make candy and chocolate here in the states like we used to.

THE MEDIA are determined to hurt humanity at home and abroad day after day.

CyndiCk
CyndiCk 04/27/07 - 04:02 am
To the person who wrote about

To the person who wrote about gas prices, check this one out. The BP station near Fiberglass in Aiken sells it's gas for $2.56 a gallon. The Exxon over by USC Aiken sells their gas for $2.89! Is that price gouging or what?

Martinez
Martinez 04/27/07 - 05:14 am
To the person who equated

To the person who equated people with AIDS and cancer to drug addicts and alcoholics. Are you even serious? Drug addicts and alcoholics aren't locked up for being drug addicts and alcoholics, They are locked up when they break the law to feed those addictions or when they put the lives of others at risk because of those addictions. Certainly if an AIDS or cancer patient robbed people, cars or homes to pay for their medical needs, they too would face incarceration. Or better yet, if they built their own chemical lab in their home, put their neighbors at risk fromt he hazzards and then sold their creation to others, they would also face incarceration. Drug and Alcohol addictions are recognized medically and plenty of people undergo therapy and treatment for such voluntarily. To excuse their criminal behaivor though is not the answer......

Jenn30907
Jenn30907 04/27/07 - 05:44 am
You took the words right out

You took the words right out of my mouth Martinez!

Jenn30907
Jenn30907 04/27/07 - 05:49 am
I recently received a raise

I recently received a raise at the end of the year and for the first time in my life, I am actually bringing home less money after my raise than I was before. Why? Because my healthcare insurance costs increased more than my raise. How pitiful is that? The deductibles even increased. The cost of healthcare in this country is out of control. More states need to limit awards in malpractice cases. You know when someone receives a settlement, that cost is passed on to the rest of us.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 04/27/07 - 06:44 am
To the person who said

To the person who said "That's why we dont want people from Richmond County moving to Columbia County" the only diffence in the two is the quality of lawyers the hoodlums can afford. I went to High School in both Richmond and Columbia counties, and I will admit, there was much more drugs and alcohol at Columbia County High Schools than I ever saw in Richmond County. It was nice to see kids get caught with drugs in their cars, on school property, get taken away, but then be back in school the next day, and then never miss a day! Wow, must be nice.

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 04/27/07 - 06:46 am
And Jenn30907, I think we

And Jenn30907, I think we must have worked together in the past. That's why I left my last job. We received a 2.5% COL raise and insurance went up twice as much, or you could go with a cheaper, and much worse, HSA plan to 'save' money. So either take a pay cut, or have bad insurance that didnt pay for anything.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/27/07 - 07:08 am
I think we need to study

I think we need to study economics again. I don't like high gas prices any more than anyone, but simple economics, or simple math for that matter will tell you that if the price of gas doubles, then the difference between the grades will double too. To make it make more sense, think of it this way. If gas were $.10 a gallon for regular, wouldn't you feel quite ripped off if unleaded plus was double that price at $.20? It's only 10 cents more, but double the original.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/27/07 - 07:11 am
CyndiCk, just buy the cheaper

CyndiCk, just buy the cheaper gas and the expensive stuff will come down. It's not price gouging if only one station is doing it, it's just bad business.

THESOUTHLOST
THESOUTHLOST 04/27/07 - 07:15 am
The person ranting about the

The person ranting about the mall. Are you talking about the older people who walk in the morning? Also what a veil attempt at trying to get people from Richmond and Columbia counties to go after eachother. I hope it do not work.

SilentJ
SilentJ 04/27/07 - 08:04 am
To the person about the

To the person about the chocolate bars.Whats your point?If I am not mistaken there is a Hershey Plant in PA they make plenty of chocolate bars.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/27/07 - 08:13 am
Why is it everytime an

Why is it everytime an incident happens at school its ALWAYS the childs fault...We had an incident again yesterday with a certain sub. bus driver ,we never have any trouble when the regular bus driver or any other sub drives the bus but EVERY single time this bus driver drives there's a problemand the problem is always with the white kids....Now haters don't start I'm not racist by no means but a majority of the kids on this bus says she only gets onto the white kids when the black kids can do whatever they want and she singles out a select few that she just picks on on a regular basis...I truly believe that somtimes it's not the kids it's the adult the school system has to hire because there's such a shortage on teachers and bus drivers

isuzurodeo1996
isuzurodeo1996 04/27/07 - 08:14 am
I agree with Unbelievable.

I agree with Unbelievable. Being brought up in Columbia County and "dealing" in both Columbia and Richmond Counties, Columbia county always brought me more money. The only difference I could tell was Richmond county never acted like they didnt do drugs. Columbia county kids would just turn to mommy and daddy. Its starting to crack down in Columbia County. Money does go a long way, but I had friends in jail for drug bust when I was in high school. I think Greenbriar was by far the most profitable. They also bought more of a diverse product. Evans and Lakeside was more weed and alcohol with an occasional Xanax or two.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/27/07 - 08:14 am
Goodmorning KPC

Goodmorning KPC

blue_ribbon
blue_ribbon 04/27/07 - 08:19 am
This RANT is about Columbia

This RANT is about Columbia County Superintendent Tommy Price. His head must be stuck in the pre K ballot box looking for folded cards....cause he's way off base with what is reported in the "TODDLER'S DEATH STILL UNDER INVESTIGATION" article in yesterdays paper. The route has changed cause my child rides that bus.

butterflygina
butterflygina 04/27/07 - 08:28 am
To the person who said the

To the person who said the people on Peach Care should not have had children in the first place, go to hell. As a former caseworker who administred Medicaid, Food Stamps and Tanf, you could be one paycheck away from the welfare office. You never know what might happen to you. I will never forget a family I met. The husband worked for the railroad and was unable to get unemployment after losing his job (due to the union). Only after exhausting all their savings and other resources did they come apply. Eventually he went on to become a firefighter. But had he gotten a job elsewhere and had to pay medical premiums (instead of receiving Medicaid) that expense alone may have prevented him from getting back on his feet. Lose your job and receive your disability payments from your insurance office. Exhaust your resources. And while you wait on RSDI or SSI, see how fast you will be trying to take advantage of indigent care because you can no longer afford your health insurance premiums. With all this said, I do believe a good alternative is to require the monthly premium in addition to a small co-payment for services.

mommie2
mommie2 04/27/07 - 08:28 am
How does being on Peachcare

How does being on Peachcare mean that you shouldn't have had children! You have to have a job to be on Peachcare. Medicaid is what you need to complain about. I really hope you never have a stroke of bad luck and if you do I hope people are just as sypathetic to you as you are to others now.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/27/07 - 08:33 am
Amen yall My kids both are on

Amen yall My kids both are on peachcare ....I guess the people on medicaid should't have had kids too ...what an [filtered word] Atleast people who have kids on peachcare are putting money back into the system

mommie2
mommie2 04/27/07 - 08:36 am
I really cannot stand self

I really cannot stand self righteous people. Peachcare parents work hard to support their children.

rt1523c
rt1523c 04/27/07 - 08:37 am
Has anyone wondered if they

Has anyone wondered if they figured out a way to make cars run off of natural gas, what would happen to the price of the bean burritoes at Taco Bell?

prfisher46
prfisher46 04/27/07 - 08:39 am
To the person who said that

To the person who said that Columbia County does not want Richmond County people moving into their County. I was born and raised in Columbia County but now live in Richmond County. Let me ask you a question where did you come from. I bet you were not born and raised in Columbia County, I can almost bet that you moved from somewhere else to Columbia County. So tell me this what makes you a better person than me who works and supports myself and my family then you are. I can almost bet you don't work and live off of your husband.

rt1523c
rt1523c 04/27/07 - 08:40 am
People who have kids who park

People who have kids who park their golf cart in my yard shouldn't have kids. This one's for you, proud parent of a kid in the Pinebrook/Farmington subdivision, whose child cruises around in a red golf cart with UGA stickers on it. Way to go in teaching your child not to respect other people's property. I would rather see a child on Peach Care who is well behaved, then a brat kid who's parents have great medical insurance.

beverlyg
beverlyg 04/27/07 - 08:40 am
About Peachcare- If the

About Peachcare- If the judicial system would enforce court orders that require noncustodial parents to carry health insurance and/or child support then we working custodial parents would not have to depend on PeachCare. They order this but then do not enforce it. So PeachCare is the only option for some of us to be able to seek medical needs for our children. The DEADBEAT parents are the "SLACKERS" and the judicial system fails our children. When I asked why the father of my children did not have health insurance after being court ordered, I was told by my county Judge's office that it was not available to him at an affordable cost, and I needed to apply for Medicaid. Stop criticizing people trying to do the right thing and the best thing for their children. START by taking a look at our court systems. They DO NOT represent the rights of the children. They are too busy worrying about offending the rights of the NONCUSTODIAL parent.

Amy
Amy 04/27/07 - 08:45 am
It's Friday people! Doesn't

It's Friday people! Doesn't anyone have a RAVE about something. Can we say something good?? at least one thing?????? PLEASE!

rt1523c
rt1523c 04/27/07 - 08:49 am
This is a rave for the

This is a rave for the marketers of spam. To be handed something that only resembles meat and be asked to sell it, and then do it for years...... my hat's off to ya!

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/27/07 - 08:51 am
Okay AMY a rave for our

Okay AMY a rave for our LINCOLN COUNTY principle Mr. Madden that handle the bus incident with our bus driver yesterday.Even though there was angry parents there and screaming kids he handle the situation with calmness dignity and was very respectful Kudos to you Mr. Madden

letsee
letsee 04/27/07 - 08:51 am
I don't know if anyone on

I don't know if anyone on here watched American Idol Wednesday night on Idol Giving Back. It is sad to see all those people here and in Africa. I think that while they are supplying those people in Africa with food and a better place to live in they also need to provide birth control. They showed many children that have no parents due to HIV and some of the children have HIV that they inherited from their parents. Give the people who are HIV positive birth control or make it so they can't have children.

alethia
alethia 04/27/07 - 08:52 am
blue ribbon- you are right.

blue ribbon- you are right. The school bus route changed the very next day after the accident. I can't figure how come Supertindent Price isn't aware of this.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/27/07 - 08:55 am
LETSEE good idea but the

LETSEE good idea but the problem is they wouldn't use it or even understand what its for the education level over there is pretty much nil

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/27/07 - 09:00 am
Good morning to you red!

Good morning to you red!

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/27/07 - 09:14 am
I just read an article where

I just read an article where a bomb was found at a "women's clinic" in Austin, TX. Can someone please explain to me how you can be "Pro-Life" and plant a bomb to kill people? It seems to be contradictory. Oh and Pam, how were the porkchops?

Azziz UNLV president finalist

Ricardo Azziz, who has been mentioned in the past for other open university positions in Florida and Texas, is one of three finalists for the position.