Rants and raves

Comments from readers:

I RESIDE IN a subdivision near Grovetown. With all the barking dogs my neighbors have, I feel more like I'm living in a dog kennel.

I WOULD LIKE to know who gives completely insane idiots the power to keep changing our time and keeping our lives turned upside down. The moon, the stars and the sun can't change. So why keep changing the hands on the clock? We should all throw out our smart clocks and buy a cock-a-doodle-do.

CAN'T WE GIVE Marion Williams and Andy Cheek a buyout like Charles Larke? Now that would be a good waste of money.

I DON'T BELIEVE the teachers were cheating when they folded their cards. Every time I enter any drawing, I always crinkle my paper to make mine stand out just a little bit.

PEOPLE AS A WHOLE need to understand that everybody that works at the Richmond County Board of Education are taxpayers, too. I think that they are doing a great job for the kids. What people in Richmond County need to understand is that we are not baby sitters for their children but giving customer service.

I'M A RESIDENT OF Harlem, Ga., and I want to know why the post office does not have a drive-through drop-off? For someone handicapped like me, it would be nice to get one in Harlem.

THIS IS A RANT about those free hockey-puck sized mint thingies they put in the urinals at all the restaurants and bars around here. They never taste as good as they smell and the blue ones stain your mouth and fingers.

A BIG RAVE to Davidson Fine Arts School students and faculty for their first-rate, high-flying performance of Peter Pan. You added to the magic of springtime and eased the pain of a difficult week.

WHY CAN'T THE RAILROAD or DOT repair the crossing on Highway 56 near the Burke County line? It is so rough the road is littered with bark from logging trucks, causing a real hazard to everyone.

YOU ASK ABOUT A GOOD, solid reason about alcohol not being sold on Sunday. It causes people to have wrecks, lose function of themselves and it causes families to break up. Not to mention it allows people to go into other addictions. It's just wrong. Sunday is God's day, and if you don't understand that, then you have a problem.

MORE THAN $200,000 for taxpayers to pay for one railroad flagman in Columbia County? I'm in the wrong business.

I'D LIKE TO THANK the community of Blythe young people for their help in the Great American Cleanup.

I HAPPEN TO BE an Augusta native of 36 years. I have a rant regarding downtown. The trees are in the way. You can't see the buildings. There is so much history here that's being camouflaged. I'm not familiar with the certain trees that are growing. Are they anticipating them to grow higher than the buildings?

COLUMBIA COUNTY IS supposed to be perfect, but the adults in charge just decided they can't handle preschool?

KROGER WOULD BE a lot classier if their employees wore black or blue pants instead of the stupid red shirts and tan pants.

TO THE SLOWPOKE that says she obeys the laws and is tired of people riding behind her. Well, if they are on your bumper I bet there is one law you don't obey - the law that says the left lane is for passing.

SEN. JOHNNY ISAKSON IS trying to get a VA hospital name changed to honor Congressman Charlie Norwood. One, why change the name at all? And two, why do things always get named for politicians? Is Isakson just trying to keep this awful tradition going so that some day he'll get a log cabin named for himself?

THANKS TO THE PERSON who stole my grandson's bicycle over the weekend out of his yard. You disappointed an 11-year-old little boy who had been riding that bike everyday.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 01:29 pm
Pam...I agree 110% about

Pam...I agree 110% about organized religion. Most of them are almost as bad as labor unions! (OK..they are about to come after me now) Take a look at the new church built in Aiken at the corner of Whisky and Pine Long roads...then remind me again why they are tax exempt.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 01:29 pm
"The nature of hell and its

"The nature of hell and its punishment is a subject of debate between various denominations. Hell is however generally held to be irrevocable and eternal. Some Christians believe that hell is a physical place. Some believe that, while hell is real, it is a state, rather than a place, of separation from God. Others hold that hell is a metaphor for a self-imposed mental separation from God. Some view hell as a place of punishment by God while others see it more in terms of self-exclusion from God. Some hold that there are physical torments in hell, principally fire. Some believe that Hell is nothing more than a vice that has been created through literature and other non-Biblical sources in order to "win" people to Christianity and that it has little to no Biblical support. Hell has historically played a large part in post-Constantinian Western culture, especially during the Middle Ages, and continues to significantly influence Western language, custom, usage, literature and iconography."

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 01:29 pm
Even Dante had Satan encased

Even Dante had Satan encased in ice!

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 01:31 pm
Ya know, I dont believe in

Ya know, I dont believe in the religious versions of heaven and hell, at least not the reasons for going to these places. But it is comforting to hope that someone like John Wayne Gacey or some child killer , would hopefully be rotting or burning in a lake of fire.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 01:33 pm
dthompson, it's really not

dthompson, it's really not that explicit, it really depends on how it's explained to you, what church you belong to, and it's up to your own interpretation (like most of the Bible apparently is)

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 01:34 pm
John Wayne Gacey could be in

John Wayne Gacey could be in heaven. He may have repented for his sins and gained God's acceptance. All sin is equal in God's eyes and we're all sinners so heaven and hell are just filled with sin.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 01:34 pm
You know Dante even placed

You know Dante even placed people in Hell who, at the time, where not even dead. Just someting to think about.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 01:36 pm
VERY good point weekapaug.

VERY good point weekapaug. It is amazing at the psudo-christians that tell you that you WILL go to Hell for something you have done that they don't approve of. They seem to miss the central message of Christianity all together.

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 01:37 pm
It really doesnt sit right

It really doesnt sit right that a such a monster could have redemption. But if you question what you are told, there is only hell.

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 01:39 pm
Anybody heard about

Anybody heard about purgatory? Apparently with sufficient financial donation, you can get your loved ones out early...seriously.

dthompson
dthompson 04/26/07 - 01:39 pm
Anyone ever heard the saying

Anyone ever heard the saying "I'd rather die believing in Hell and find out there isn't one than to die not beleiveing and find out there is?"

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 01:42 pm
What if you die, and find out

What if you die, and find out that you were under the wrong belief system? What if Buddha was waiting to laugh at you for wasting your time? Or Zeus was waiting to send you to hades along with 2000 years of your ancestors for not paying tribute?

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 01:42 pm
Hey it's your religion

Hey it's your religion noctur55 I didn't make up the rules. Purgatory isn't in the Bible, it's strictly Catholic dogma

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 01:45 pm
Believe me I know. I used to

Believe me I know. I used to be catholic. The hypocrisy of that church is incredible

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 01:46 pm
I was actually talking to

I was actually talking to dpthompson weekapaug, but youre right.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 01:48 pm
Well there were several

Well there were several sections of Hades, including the Elysian Fields which is the ancient Greek equivilent to Heaven ... so it doesn't sound too bad to me. And Buddha wouldn't be laughing because he's reached total enlightenment and is beyond us.

noctur55
noctur55 04/26/07 - 01:52 pm
My wife and I were talking

My wife and I were talking about it, and everytime I see a buddhist monk, they seem to have a very content look on their face. Doesnt sound bad to me at all.
You were right, Buddha was a bad example to use.

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 01:52 pm
What if it's the Jehova's

What if it's the Jehova's witnesses that are right, and Heaven is already full?

rt1523c
rt1523c 04/26/07 - 01:53 pm
Shepster, I apologize for

Shepster, I apologize for using grammer that requires a reading comprehension above Dr. Suess, let me simplify it for you. The Government benefits from a higher price per gallon, because it gets more sales tax per gallon. You are an angry person, it shows in your comments. Calm down, and leave the anger out of your comments and people might take you serious. If you weren't so busy being irrational, you would have seen that my point was not about choice, I only added that because your argument is flawed. The point was that everyone expects the government to punish "big oil" to lower prices, but that wouldn't be in the best fiscal interest of the government.

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 01:54 pm
you know I went on a choir

you know I went on a choir tour when i was 17 I'm 40 now but we spent 4 weeks on a trailways bus 34 kids 5 chaperones We took it all the way from Warrenton to California.. stopped and performed every night in a different place along the way..but when we got back come to find out our preacher was molesting the boys on the tour and had been molesting them among the parish for sometime ..Thats why i pray at home I truly believe in God but I don't belive in the ways of the church...Does that make sense...?

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 01:57 pm
kpc, I'll save you a beer and

kpc, I'll save you a beer and seat to watch the Fallen Angels and the Spawn of Satan face off for 7 games in the Underworld Series

Painter
Painter 04/26/07 - 02:01 pm
I knew that my comments would

I knew that my comments would stir the fire, because those who are outside the kingdom of God cannot understand the things of the Holy Spirit. God is not about organized religion and I am afraid that many who have turned to organized religion in search of God have yet to find Him. They have merely found a hiding place to stay away from God. And yes all those who do not turn to God through Faith In Jesus Christ will spend eternity in Hell, a place that is void of God, therefore, an eternal place of torment. Don't you want to turn to Jesus today while there is still time?

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 02:01 pm
Cool...then we can go rafting

Cool...then we can go rafting in the rapids of Styx.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 02:03 pm
No but we could Sail Away

No but we could Sail Away

Pam Hubert 1
Pam Hubert 1 04/26/07 - 02:03 pm
Breaking News: The Senates

Breaking News: The Senates HAS approved the war funding bill with a timetable for the troops to come home!!!

localman
localman 04/26/07 - 02:06 pm
One's religion is like a

One's religion is like a tailored suit. It ain't gonna fit everyone and, for some, the butt looks a lot larger.

dthompson
dthompson 04/26/07 - 02:08 pm
There is certainly corruption

There is certainly corruption in churches, no doubt Pam. There is not historical evidence to prove that Buddha or Zeus existed. There is plenty of archaeological evidence to back up the Bible. Of course, this is my opinion. I think you have to have faith in something. Obviously, there are many different faiths. I guess we will all know in the end.

weekapaug05
weekapaug05 04/26/07 - 02:09 pm
It's really amazing how God,

It's really amazing how God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost say so many conflicting things to various people. I wonder why? God tells Muslims to convert or kill all infidels, God tells the guy on the corner that the end is near, God tells people to move to Jonestown and commit sucide. Still time, did God tell you the end of the world is near, cause he told me to enjoy today and have a happy tomorrow.

charles yonce
charles yonce 04/26/07 - 02:18 pm
damn shepster don't be so

damn shepster don't be so hard on pammy. this is hell week.apparently she forgot what forrest gump said when he observed i think both things are happening at the same time.she is americas stay at home mom with a full itinerary but has all day to write on here.the poor thing is suffering enough by having to live out in the middle of nowhere (lincolton)i heard they should have cable tv by 09.maybe she could save some electricity if she would do her work and get off the computer.but she won't which i can only surmise that her house is a wreck,and the family is starving,but thank god for pork & beans and microwaves hey pammy! throw a few slices of bologna on the beans and have a poor mans casserole.open a can of aunt jemima's famous "don't you dare put butta on dese biskits" and you are good to go!

_kpc_
_kpc_ 04/26/07 - 02:23 pm
Senate passed war funding

Senate passed war funding bill with a timetable to bring the troops home, millions of dollars to store peanuts in ga, lamb replacement and retnention, sugar beet subsidies, etc. Good strategy....make the bill bad enough and the President will veto it and make him look like the bad guy. This is a shameful, cowardly way to treat the troops. If you really want to bring them home, pass a bill that says simply "bring them home", then stand by it. Dont leave them there with no funding.